• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Great shots from the anime?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
IMO, the storyboarding and shot composition in the anime is vastly underrated, and barely anyone talks about it despite it easily being one of the anime's biggest strengths from day 1. So this thread is for sharing shots you think are great, like for example, this one from near the end of MS vs AG, which definitely works to showcase how overwhelmed MS is at the moment and gives us a moment to relish on AG's advantage before the final clash:
x7iAO6p
x7iAO6p.png

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
IMO, the storyboarding and shot composition in the anime is vastly underrated, and barely anyone talks about it despite it easily being one of the anime's biggest strengths from day 1. So this thread is for sharing shots you think are great, like for example, this one from near the end of MS vs AG, which definitely works to showcase how overwhelmed MS is at the moment and gives us a moment to relish on AG's advantage before the final clash:
x7iAO6p
https://imgur.com/x7iAO6p (embed didn't work)
script>
That's probably because that stuff is highly technical and there isn't exactly a large group (even within fans of the Pokémon Anime on this forum) dedicated to discussing the technical side.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
This shot. This is the kind of intense epic moment I normally see in Pokemon Adventures. Never would I ever imagine I'd see this kind of shot in the anime, truly amazing. No. This is freaking outstanding!

SS032.png

Mega Evolution Act III in my opinion, is one of the finest episodes created in the whole Pokémon Anime. Was great from start to finish.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Mega Evolution Act III in my opinion, is one of the finest episodes created in the whole Pokémon Anime. Was great from start to finish.
I love this shot man. You basically got powerful rulers of three different realms, the land, the sea and the skies and have finally all met and are roaring for dominance, ready to counter-fire once someone makes the first move while the bystanders watch from a distance. This shot says Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza are the main characters. Forget about Ash, Alain, Lysandre and Steven for a moment. Focus on these three legendaries, it's all about them and they are going to end this once and for all. The fate of the world rests with the victor!

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I love this shot man. You basically got powerful rulers of three different realms, the land, the sea and the skies and have finally all met and are roaring for dominance, ready to counter-fire once someone makes the first move while the bystanders watch from a distance. This shot says Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza are the main characters. Forget about Ash, Alain, Lysandre and Steven for a moment. Focus on these three legendaries, it's all about them and they are going to end this once and for all. The fate of the world rests with the victor!
truly an underrated episode, especially since at the time it aired many were more in the hype for the upcoming ash vs clemont (which also gave us this great shot: https://imgur.com/1i5q9Jj

Last edited:

shoz999

There's a movie I definitely feel deserves more credit than hate and that movie is called Jirachi Wish Maker. I think the plot is actually one of the more well-crafted ones, the villain is interesting but one of the most noticeable things you get from Jirachi Wish Maker is how much love and care was put into this movie's animation and you can see it in a series of shots at the beginning of the movie. Most Pokemon movies often start off with this great action scene full of rock music. Jirachi Wish Maker's intro is very different in that it kind of reminds you of a Miyazaki film and one of the first major series of shots they show is the circus unfolding itself from boxes and trucks, it almost looks like it's not just under construction but also magically animated at the same time as Ash and friends are watching. One of the best things about Pokemon movies is that you get to see almost the entirety of an incredibly detailed and sometimes even paint-like setting that it even makes it feel real sometimes. Here you get to see at least the first half of the major setting animated before your very eyes. These series of shots that altogether makes one of the most beautiful, overlooked and underrated scenes of animation in the entirety of the Pokemon anime. Some examples below and this is from Serebii's database itself but this isn't actually all of it. For example there's this scene where the truck's unbox and balloons come out and Serebii's database doesn't really capture this part very well so you have to really see the movie to fully grasp what I'm talking about.

M104.jpg
M105.jpg

M107.jpg
M108.jpg
M109.jpg

M112.jpg
M113.jpg
M115.jpg

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm not sure if this exactly fits in with what you're talking about, but this is one of my favorite images in the entire anime, because it just shows how freaking close it was
winning09.jpg

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
There's a movie I definitely feel deserves more credit than hate and that movie is called Jirachi Wish Maker. I think the plot is actually one of the more well-crafted ones, the villain is interesting but one of the most noticeable things you get from Jirachi Wish Maker is how much love and care was put into this movie's animation and you can see it in a series of shots at the beginning of the movie. Most Pokemon movies often start off with this great action scene full of rock music. Jirachi Wish Maker's intro is very different in that it kind of reminds you of a Miyazaki film and one of the first major series of shots they show is the circus unfolding itself from boxes and trucks, it almost looks like it's not just under construction but also magically animated at the same time as Ash and friends are watching. One of the best things about Pokemon movies is that you get to see almost the entirety of an incredibly detailed and sometimes even paint-like setting that it even makes it feel real sometimes. Here you get to see at least the first half of the major setting animated before your very eyes. These series of shots that altogether makes one of the most beautiful, overlooked and underrated scenes of animation in the entirety of the Pokemon anime. Some examples below and this is from Serebii's database itself but this isn't actually all of it. For example there's this scene where the truck's unbox and balloons come out and Serebii's database doesn't really capture this part very well so you have to really see the movie to fully grasp what I'm talking about.

M104.jpg
M105.jpg

M107.jpg
M108.jpg
M109.jpg

M112.jpg
M113.jpg
M115.jpg
I definitely need to rewatch that movie at some point (haven't watched it since 2014)
I'm not sure if this exactly fits in with what you're talking about, but this is one of my favorite images in the entire anime, because it just shows how freaking close it was
winning09.jpg
also a great shot, dawn is definitely the main character with a goal arc who got the closest to succeding, she should've won tbh

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
oh btw I also think my profile picture is a great shot - just realized that

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
oh btw I also think my profile picture is a great shot - just realized that
sadly, we were all too angry when that was happening to notice
Huh... interesting. Your avatar says Buzz and Woody are parting ways with a handshake as the woods are on fire.
But who is buzz and who is woody in this situation? That's the real question

shoz999

sadly, we were all too angry when that was happening to notice
On a serious note, I really did get Toy Story vibes of Buzz and Woody from @LilligantLewis's avatar until you click it on for a closer view. Although to be honest it really does look like Ash and Greninja are shaking hands during a forest-fire on such a small frame instead of the afternoon.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
maxresdefault.jpg

So I sort of lost interest in Pokemon around gen 5 because it was a bit of a disappointment for me, but then I saw a gif from this scene of Victini about to cry on tumblr and was like "WELL I GUESS I HAVE TO WATCH IT NOW". The animation and attention to detail in this one scene is amazing and I'm so happy it exists. This ONE SCENE made gen 5 so much better to me.

shoz999

Pokemon Origins. It's an extremely-fast action scene that's very hard to spot and quickly moves into the next scene which is just explosive. From this scene alone you can see Charizard is on his back, quickly trying to make a comeback while Nidoqueen is taking mercilessly taking advantage of this opportunity after a recent string of moves. This is one of those action scenes that also reminds me of Pokemon Adventures own action scenes, specifically when the hero meets the villain in a Pokemon battle early at a point where the hero is still not on the villain's skill-level yet and his real only choice is to essentially use his or her brains to escape or at least fight to the very end.
ImR0pzf.jpg

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
JIgezEY.gif

Jokes aside, I gotta go back and think about the TV series itself for some great shots because I think movies are "cheating" due to directorial and cinematographic expectations of film compared to TV. However, the images from Pokémon that have stuck with me the most for all these years all come from the movies, but right now, I'm just going to go the obvious route and pick out my favorite shots from the first film.

sY3y2iT.png

cS2zIGO.png

This one here works best showing the entire shot, but it still says it all as-is. Just about Mewtwo standing in the rubble, while it's burning around him and when he returns to rebuild the lab, are my favorite shots of him.
Im49o1z.png

This is the most beautiful shot in the first film, it's so dreamy, but lonely.

shoz999

The I Choose You movie has a lot of gorgeous scenes. In fact it might actually be the most gorgeous piece of Pokemon animation and has the most beautiful art style out there.

pokemon-i-choose-you-screenshot-08-1024x576.jpg

The shot where the Ash, Verity and Sorrel are traveling on Lapras's back. There's a lot more to this scene then meets the eye! You can actually see a bit of their personality reflected through the way these three characters are sitting differently from another, small little details that give a sense of realism and personality to this scene. It's not just them but also how and where their Pokemon sit as well that adds a bit of personality to this scene. From this shot, we can see the Pokemon trainers hanging out with their Pokemon while they enjoy traveling on a Lapras in the middle of the river surrounded by the forest during the morning dawn which is just breathtaking.

tumblr_p03iw2S8Oq1vc2llto7_1280.jpg

Ever since I've saw I Choose You, it has arguably the most gorgeous mountain panoramic view shots I've ever seen. It actually reminds me of my personal childhood home with it's mountainous terrain full of dense trees and fog.

pokemon-i-choose-you-2017-movie-embed.jpg

One of the scenes that made the audience GASP! a little at the theater I was at was this scene. Entei's intimidating height towering over Ash's small 10-year old height. Many people came into this movie not realizing how big Entei was in the anime at least. You can tell that this shot was intentional, to show how small and puny Ash looked before Entei up-close and personal.

However my favorite shots during this entire moment is that all these adventures Ash, Verity and Sorrel had built-up to this special little moment.
M439.jpg

In this scene we see Ash and Sorrel are sleeping. The audience doesn't see Verity however. The audience thinks to themselves, where is she at this time of the night?

M440.jpg

The camera jumps to this scene. We see her faraway near the lake but not that faraway from the campsite. The audience notices the dense mist around the setting as Verity appears to be looking at something. What could this be?

M441.jpg

In the next scene, the audience later realizes she's looking at her phone but what is she looking at in her phone?

M442.jpg

We get a close-up shot at that phone and we see Verity is looking at all the recent adventures she has had with Ash and Sorrel. What's interesting about this overall scene is that Verity is the main character here. Were seeing this scene from her point of view.

M443.jpg

And she's having a good ol' nostalgic time looking at the past memories she's spent with her friends.

M445.jpg

The audience then sees Verity stopping and taking a good look at this particular photo which also happens to have a Piplup, much similar to her own and an entirely new character in the movie that the audience has never seen before alongside what appears to be a fairly-trained Pokemon. This raises a lot of questions for the audience since she's stopped on this photo. It's later heavily hinted at the pretty much obvious, this woman is her mother.

M446.jpg

She gives off a slight smile in this shot for now...

M447.jpg

... then her slight smile grows into a slightly bigger one, reminiscing her times with her mother.

xZmPK5K.png

Then the camera jumps to this leaf floating on the lake? FOCUS ON THE LEAF! THIS LEAF IS IMPORTANT! YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT! FOCUS! I'm kidding but seriously this is an important shot as it's not only a little detail of her surroundings, specifically to remind the audience that Verity is near the lake but it is also building-up to something in a serene and peaceful tone.

fXIxzX6.png

In the next shot, we see that built-up slowly emerging. The tiny wave across the lake tackling that leaf conveying a sense of wonder and mystery to the audience. What's happening here? And the camera slowly answers that in the next shot.

LQjC9N0.png

The camera focuses on the lake first and the audience sees a shadowy reflection. Than the camera does a slow pan shot upwards, slowly revealing, changing the audience's question from what's happening to who is this? It's a very calm and serene scene that gives off the tone that whoever this is, it doesn't appear to be dangerous but peaceful.

M448.jpg

Then Verity makes this face. She can't keep her mouth close and just continually stares at the mysterious being before her. We can tell by what she's seeing, she can't express enough through words alone. Her facial expression alone tells how amazed she is as you also see the forest behind her, some little environmental details.

M449.jpg

The camera continually pans revealing it's none other than Suicune, one of the legendary beasts and he's calmly appearing before her at the lake for some reason. The mist helps gives Suicune a mysterious vibe in this shot and that's no surprise as Suicune is known for it's mysterious encounters. What adds to this is that Verity is the only person who is seeing Suicune right now.

M450.jpg

Of course not everyone in the audience knows who Suicune is, so she mentions his name. You can tell by the continued expression on her face that this is an incredibly rare and magical moment that just not everyone experiences.

M451.jpg

The last shot of this scene is Verity continually gazing at the awesomeness of Suicune while surrounded by the calm and serene tone of the misty forested nature around her. There's no Ash or Sorrel in this scene. Just Verity alone, watching Suicune as it gazes back at her.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
On a serious note, I really did get Toy Story vibes of Buzz and Woody from @LilligantLewis's avatar until you click it on for a closer view. Although to be honest it really does look like Ash and Greninja are shaking hands during a forest-fire on such a small frame instead of the afternoon.
when that image first came out before the episode aired, I thought that it was greninja's gatorade disc and that it was going to be revealed that it was actually a healing move, which would've been used to restore the forest, which I thought would have something happen to it. Anyways, as for shots, who can forget this one?
6-1.jpg
(finally an embed worked). It's just a magical sight to see, and it was what told us "hey, there's much more to the pokemon world than what you think" as both ash and us, the viewers, stared in awe at this then mysterious creature.
962.jpg
this ones were amazing too, they managed to perfectly capture poipole's feelings and gave us one of ash's best moments in SM, comforting poipole as they witnessed the cycle of life in action

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
You want to talk about great shots in the Pokémon anime, look no further than the very first scene ever shown.

tumblr_inline_onpbhoLOod1utz5ss_400.jpg

The Game Boy introduction scene from Red and Green, featuring Gengar and Nidorino. Perhaps I should recap on what I said a long time ago for this scene (with some modification on the grammar and updated info):

Imagine yourself as a young child in April 1st, 1997, watching television in a Japanese household. A new anime is about to make its debut on the channel. It opens with a black and white Game Boy screen featuring two monsters engaging in a turn-based battle, with 8-bit music and sound effects to fill the air. You recognize these two, from school playgrounds and your friend’s place. They were Pocket Monsters, from the games of the same name. In fact, this is the same opening you would see in Pocket Monsters: Red Version, featuring Gengar (ゲンガー Gangar) on the left, and Nidorino (ニドリーノ Nidorino) on the right.

tumblr_ojnaetdqtz1ufw8o4o1_500.gif

But just as Nidorino is about make the jump (which is when Game Boy animation fades to the title screen), the camera suddenly goes around the two monsters in a dynamic arc shot, while the small screen grows to full television size; colors begin to fill in and the 8-bit music is replaced with an orchestra.

The scene pans out, revealing the outlines of a large sporting arena and then the stadium of huge crowds cheering for the match below.

007.jpg
008.jpg

If there was ever such a perfect introduction to the world of Pokémon, look no further than here. The Gengar and Nidorino battle has always been the classic opening for Generation I; so much that various Pokémon adaptations (such as Pokémon Adventures, Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations) all try to emulate this scene as the prologue for the Kanto stories. But none have come close to the original anime’s version, which hits all the right notes to hook the audience into Pokémon. In fact, it feels as if the anime scene was a composition of those aforementioned adaptations, taking the best aspects and making them somehow even grander, despite the fact that it came first.

Adventures has the Gengar and Nidorino fight in a Call Back introduction of Pokémon Adventures: Chapter 1, with trainers trying to catch Nidorino and Red telling them to use their Pokémon (in this case, Gengar).

Origins features a lively animated battle shortly after Oak’s introduction, and it takes place in the a stadium broadcasted live for Red to watch on his television screen.

Generations faithfully mimics the opening in all its 8-bit Game Boy glory, not transitioning to colorful animation until after Pikachu gets caught in a Poké Ball.

But the Pokémon anime tops them all by its three segments and then some. The first segment depicts the battle as it would have looked on the original Game Boy; the second segment makes the battle literally leap into the field of colors and animation to show us what they would have looked like in our imaginations; and the third segment gives us a world far grander than what we are accustomed to see. A world that takes Pokémon battles seriously and professionally. And it doesn't stop there, but we'll save that for another day.

Hmmm, I should really get back to my review of why Pokémon ~ I Choose You is the greatest Pokémon episode of all time. And remake my old Tumblr post...