• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Greatest battle ever

Greatest battle ever in the Pokemon anime

• Ash vs Drake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ash vs Gary (Johto league)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ash vs Harrison

• Ash vs Tyson

• Ash vs Paul (Lake acuity)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh league)

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • Ash vs Sawyer (Kalos League

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Ash vs Alain (Kalos league)

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Ash vs Gladion (Alola league)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ash vs Kukui (exhibition match)

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
What's the greatest Pokemon anime battle ever?
By greatest I mean the best animated, best choreography, etc.
I know this thread has been done before but they always lacked some battle options. So let's finally resolve this, keep it cool and civil please. You are free to choose any other battle that's not included on the poll options.

@Dephender
Can you move it to the anime polls section please?

RafaSceptile

For me, it is Ash vs Kukui, the main reasons are because this is the only 4 episodes battle. has top tier animation, is the only battle having 2 climax and Ash and Kukui's father-son relationships feels genuine and played a major role for both characters and for the league event.

Ash vs Paul Sinnoh League is a very close runner-up, and Ash vs Sawyer ends being the top3 for me.

Master Pikachu 11

For me, it is Ash vs Kukui, the main reasons are because this is the only 4 episodes battle. has top tier animation, is the only battle having 2 climax and Ash and Kukui's father-son relationships feels genuine and played a major role for both characters and for the league event.

Ash vs Paul Sinnoh League is a very close runner-up, and Ash vs Sawyer ends being the top3 for me.
Agreed the Torracat vs Incineroar along with Pikachu vs Tapu Koko was the best animated and exciting battles that I have seen out of every series. People may dislike Z moves, but those moves are what made this battle that much exciting

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Lol I accidentally misclicked and voted paul on the poll. Can i not take it back?

While i do think the fight with paul was great as a story and did a good job in with the strategies, i have to go with one of the two kalos league one.

I really like both and it’s hard for me to decide, but i think i have to go with alain. While the sawyer fights has more creative strategies and greninja vs sceptile is probably the best single fight, the fight with alain was just a pure adrenaline rush in it’s entirety that it still has me glued to the screen for the entire match when i watch it. The 3D background, dynamic cinematography, choreography, and even bonkers explosion is still unmatched in making a pokemon fight so exciting. Honestly the only thing i wished was better was the goodra fight (and the final result). I didn’t mind noivern losing because i still enjoyed the fight.

I also have to bring a special mention to the talonflame vs unfezant fight. Best aerial fight in the series bar none, don’t at me. It’s so friggin extra with things like them going straight up before diving straight down, and i love it. A real aerial dogfight, with the closest thing to an itano circus just to top it off.

So top 5:
-Alain
-Sawyer
-Paul
-Gary
-Kukui/Harrison

Though i guess kukui would probably go up a rank if i take away the nostalgia glasses.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash vs Paul hands down! It was the end of the series best rivalry and any investment you had in the rivalry paid off as Ash finally got to beat Paul in an action heavy battle that you've been wanting to see since the beginning! Ash vs Brandon after it.
Kukui was unearned and unnecessary. Why do I care for Pokemon they pulled out of a character's ass again? I may despise Leon "the great" but I like that they're actually building up a team for the final showdown rather than pulling another Alain/Kukui. ONE unknown is okay but not over half the bloody team!

Morax

King of heroes
Lol I accidentally misclicked and voted paul on the poll. Can i not take it back?

While i do think the fight with paul was great as a story and did a good job in with the strategies, i have to go with one of the two kalos league one.

I really like both and it’s hard for me to decide, but i think i have to go with alain. While the sawyer fights has more creative strategies and greninja vs sceptile is probably the best single fight, the fight with alain was just a pure adrenaline rush in it’s entirety that it still has me glued to the screen for the entire match when i watch it. The 3D background, dynamic cinematography, choreography, and even bonkers explosion is still unmatched in making a pokemon fight so exciting. Honestly the only thing i wished was better was the goodra fight (and the final result). I didn’t mind noivern losing because i still enjoyed the fight.

I also have to bring a special mention to the talonflame vs unfezant fight. Best aerial fight in the series bar none, don’t at me. It’s so friggin extra with things like them going straight up before diving straight down, and i love it. A real aerial dogfight, with the closest thing to an itano circus just to top it off.

So top 5:
-Alain
-Sawyer
-Paul
-Gary
-Kukui/Harrison

Though i guess kukui would probably go up a rank if i take away the nostalgia glasses.
I think pacing is what makes it so exhilarating. There's not a dull moment in that battle, it constantly keeps you at the edge of your seat. The tension is handled pretty well, building at an exponential rate and reaching its peak when Alain pulls out his Charizard.

It's like i'm watching a Christopher Nolan movie. Insert a Hans Zimmer soundtrack (no time for caution or supermarine) and you have 30 minutes of pure, unadulterated kino.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I think pacing is what makes it so exhilarating. There's not a dull moment in that battle, it constantly keeps you at the edge of your seat. The tension is handled pretty well, building at an exponential rate and reaching its peak when Alain pulls out his Charizard.

It's like i'm watching a Christopher Nolan movie. Insert a Hans Zimmer soundtrack (no time for caution or supermarine) and you have 30 minutes of pure, unadulterated kino.
Pacing definitely helps a lot in not letting the tension to slip.

Actually, as great as the strategies are in the paul fight, i do feel like the fight kinda got bogged down by it a bit. The worse offender was probably when gastrodon was on top of staraptor waiting for the water pulse to come back down. It took me a bit out of it while waiting.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
In terms of pure strategies it's either Paul vs Ash (Sinnoh League),Paul vs Ash (Lake Acuity),Ash vs Katie or Ash vs Conway.I was personally more impressed with Paul's showing in the Lake Acuity battle than the one at the Sinnoh League but the Sinnoh League battle was more balanced.Ash vs Katie was balanced along with Ash vs Conway.All the battles post DP have the advantage in animation but lack the skill and strategy that was shown in the battles I mentioned.I picked Paul vs Ash Lake Acuity this time but more than likely Paul vs Ash Sinnoh League will win vast majority of the votes like usual.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Didn't know I'd see mcj members here.

Anyway, my vote goes for Paul (League). I do agree that the battle was too slow at point.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's always a mix up between Ash Vs Paul and Ash Vs Kukui for me. Both are at the conclusion of the stories with a good buildup and different story themes. I personally like the story of Ash Vs Paul better but overall, I'd go with Ash Vs Kukui as a better battle since even though Ash Vs Paul had better strategies and story, Ash Vs Kukui still has a pretty heartwarming story of its own (which isn't unearned btw lol, watching SM from the beginning it's a perfect culmination), amazing animation, much better than Ash Vs Paul and more epic moments with both Incineroar Vs Torracat and Pikachu Vs Tapu Koko. That last scene has the best animation in the series yet.
Do love Ash Vs Alain's pace as well though, it was exciting af and my third fav battle

The animation and storyboarding of Ash vs Sawyer will never be matched.
I'd say Ash Vs Alain had better storyboarding considering Ash Vs Sawyer had Ash keeping Talonflame in for Clawitzer instead of immediately switching to Pikachu, those two double KOs, esp that dumb slurpuff Vs Goodra match. It felt very forced to keep Ash greninja Vs Mega Sceptile in the end, although their animation was quite stellar
In comparison Ash Vs Alain felt more of a natural brawl between Charizard and greninja in the end