• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Greatest battle ever

Greatest battle ever in the Pokemon anime

• Ash vs Drake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ash vs Gary (Johto league)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ash vs Harrison

• Ash vs Tyson

• Ash vs Paul (Lake acuity)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh league)

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • Ash vs Sawyer (Kalos League

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Ash vs Alain (Kalos league)

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Ash vs Gladion (Alola league)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ash vs Kukui (exhibition match)

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

Decidueye23

Animation wise XY and XYZ takes the cake. The fluid animation is amazing. The movement, the battles, the music everything just comes together.

Story wise, Ash vs Paul is incredible. Just the culmination. Who can ever forget TR cheering for infernape. Its brilliant.

The kukui battle is really well done too, but only the fonal portion. Everything upto toreacat vs incineroar is quite meh. Animation wise too. Nothing to write home ablut. But then Torracat vs infernape and then Pikachu vs koko makes it a damn good finish.

Paul's Methods
-Using Type Advantage
-Switching during battles
-Sacrificing pokemon
-Adapting
-Status Moves
-Entry Hazards
-Abilities
-Planning ahead

-Rotating pokemon
-Training
-Capturing the strongest species of pokemon in the wild
-Using the surroundings of the battlefield
-Foresight

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion: Paul is the better trainer of the two and is the most competitive trainer we've ever seen in the pokemon anime
And he lost... Man, what a great trainer...

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I don't think Paul is better than Ash or vice versa. Both are pretty much equal. They went through the same amount of regions, they both had reserves and powerhouses. Ash won against Paul in the SL because Pikachu was in his team while Paul was using all the Pokemon he caught and raised in the Sinnoh region but the same applies for Paul's victories over Ash. He always used Pokemon that he had caught and raised in other regions (reserves) while Ash only used his Sinnoh team. I never understood why in the SL Paul never used the Pokemon he caught in other regions against Ash.

RafaSceptile

I don't think Paul is better than Ash or vice versa. Both are pretty much equal. They went through the same amount of regions, they both had reserves and powerhouses. Ash won against Paul in the SL because Pikachu was in his team while Paul was using all the Pokemon he caught and raised in the Sinnoh region but the same applies for Paul's victories over Ash. He always used Pokemon that he had caught and raised in other regions (reserves) while Ash only used his Sinnoh team. I never understood why in the SL Paul never used the Pokemon he caught in other regions against Ash.
Especially when considering than Ash barely won against Paul. They were basically at the same level at the end of DP.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

They're around the same level at least until XY,getting Greninja automatically made Ash a stronger trainer.But from just skill alone I'd say Paul is still ahead of him,he's more consistent and efficient.

Paul's Methods
-Using Type Advantage
-Switching during battles
-Sacrificing pokemon
-Adapting
-Status Moves
-Entry Hazards
-Abilities
-Planning ahead
-Rotating pokemon
-Training
-Capturing the strongest species of pokemon in the wild
-Using the surroundings of the battlefield
-Foresight
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion: Paul is the better trainer of the two and is the most competitive trainer we've ever seen in the pokemon anime

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Animation wise XY and XYZ takes the cake. The fluid animation is amazing. The movement, the battles, the music everything just comes together.
Its pure animation wasn't as good though. The character movements were quite stiff and rigid. What gave XY its 'animation quality' is its battle choreography, storyboarding, complete lack of action lines / stock backgrounds, 3D backgrounds/models, 3D camera, usage of after effects etc.

In terms of pure animation and movement, SM does that better. In fact, there's another show called Mob Psycho 100 that in my opinion is peak animation despite having a very simplistic artstyle and doesn't necessarily do all of the above mentioned.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
why do you always just quote my posts and then change the entire context to make a vague unrelated comment?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In fact, there's another show called Mob Psycho 100 that in my opinion is peak animation
God i love that anime but i wouldn't call it peak animation. Unlimited blade works, heaven's feel and kimetsu no yaiba have better animation by a wide margin.

SoundVoltex

Out of the battles listed, I really enjoyed Ash vs Kukui the most. Art style really complimented the animation. It was dynamic, action packed, and that Sun and Moon crazy charm to it.

I think the most thought out battle would be Ash vs Paul in the Sinnoh League conference. It had a more defined story and rivalry with the Sinnoh League battle being its conclusion. It feels complete.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

God i love that anime but i wouldn't call it peak animation. Unlimited blade works, heaven's feel and kimetsu no yaiba have better animation by a wide margin.
Tbf HF is an unfair comparison since it's 3 movies rather than a series. Haven't seen KnY, but for UBW, yeah that's more of a fair comparison, though I just love Mob's style too much to call one better or worse by a wide margin

TheNewGuy

Paul is definitely the more interesting, compelling character compared to Ash, but then it's easier when the plot kind of demanded Ash be repeatedly dumbed down, thus making him inconsistent and harder to root for. Paul being such a compelling character/villain is a significant part of the reason why his battle is the best. You're invested on a character level (because you want to see him defeated) as well as on a plot level (the importance of the match, being a Sinnoh League quarterfinal) before the first move in a way basically no other match has...matched. Or come close to matching.

That's without talking about the superior strategies used in the battle compared to others.