• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Greninja Discussion

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well Greninja probably shouldn't be doing much outside of functioning as an lead or anti-lead in Ubers, it lacks the power to do a lot offensively when compared to other Ubers, so I don't really see Aegislash rising in usage much because of it. That and Greninja was already starting to get usage in Ubers so seeing it banned from OU probably won't have any effect on Ubers.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
And good riddance to the frog, now I don't actually have build teams with him in mind.
Base 122 speed with stab everything is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, I honestly doubt that Ubers is going to change at all because of the Greninja ban. Greninja has always been allowed in Ubers play, so the fact that it's now banned in OU is basically irrelevant to what actually happens in Ubers. At most, you might have a few Greninja fans using it more just for the sake of using a Pokemon they love, but I doubt that'll make a real difference with regards to its usage.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Gren is still B- rank in Ubers because it's a very viable user of (toxic)/spikes and is also able to spinblock Deoxys-A, It will be fine IMO until it gets a mega evolution which "should" be stronger than the LO set. Like most people said here, I doubt it's viability will change with the ban from OU.

The metagame is much healthier, for now. I'm still gonna miss you though, former king of ORAS OU <3

Ace Trainer Riana

Well Greninja can probably KO Deoxys with a Shadow Sneak. But it'll mostly be in a house with a normal Deoxys and Mega Mawile.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Well Greninja can probably KO Deoxys with a Shadow Sneak. But it'll mostly be in a house with a normal Deoxys and Mega Mawile.

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Deoxys: 242-283 (100 - 116.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just if you were curious, so it's pathetic really lol.

But since Greninja probably won't run Life Orb in Ubers...

252 Atk Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Deoxys: 186-218 (76.8 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Riana

You calculated the wrong Deoxys. Attack was the one I meant. It takes a beating. Water Shuriken with three hits KOs after Stealth Rock.

Trevenant

Banned
252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Deoxys: 242-283 (100 - 116.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just if you were curious, so it's pathetic really lol.

But since Greninja probably won't run Life Orb in Ubers...

252 Atk Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Deoxys: 186-218 (76.8 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
What is Greninja going to run other than Life Orb? A Choice item is a horrific nerf to Greninja and defeats his entire purpose.

I'm surprised it took Smogon so long to suspect Greninja. What changed in OR/AS that made him so much more broken to Smogon than X/Y? His physical set that OR/AS allowed was seriously the tipping point?

KillerDraco

What is Greninja going to run other than Life Orb? A Choice item is a horrific nerf to Greninja and defeats his entire purpose.

Sash lead is also a thing. Mind you, Life Orb is still the most common thing on Greninja in Ubers, seeing about double the usage of Sash, but you will still see Sash on about 1 in 4 Greninja in Ubers based on the statistics.

I'm surprised it took Smogon so long to suspect Greninja. What changed in OR/AS that made him so much more broken to Smogon than X/Y? His physical set that OR/AS allowed was seriously the tipping point?

The move tutors moves in OR/AS were what pushed him over the edge. It's not a physical set that became dangerous, but rather, a mixed set. The fairies such as Sylveon and Assault Vest Azumarill that shut down Greninja in XY suddenly found themselves unable to deal with Greninja's new toy in Gunk Shot. In addition, Low Kick furthered these issues since it could also break through special walls with it. Couple that with its already amazing benefits of a fantastic base 122 speed tier and STAB on everything, and you find yourself with a Pokemon that you pretty much had to consider when teambuilding or it could 6-0 you with minimal support. Its counters were so specific and almost entirely stall-oriented (which made them hard to fit onto teams other than pure stall) that it became extremely overcentralizing.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Even though statistics say otherwise I'd almost argue that Greninja shouldn't really be running Life Orb just because of how outclassed its offensive sets are in the tier. I almost don't see a point in running Greninja at all in Ubers unless it's a Sash Lead, at which point it's pretty solid at setting Spikes/Toxic Spikes while beating Deoxys-S leads, Taunting other leads, and beating Xerneas with Gunk Shot. I'm just speculating though, since I haven't been interested enough to try Greninja in Ubers.