1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ground Zero Mosque (or cultural gathering centre for the politcally correct)

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Empoleon Bonaparte, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Empoleon Bonaparte

Empoleon Bonaparte Well-Known Member

You probably know what I'm talking about. Discuss. I'm not American, but I thought this would be a good topic for the Debate Forum.

2. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

3. Fused

Fused Shun the nonbeliever

I gotta agree with ForeverFlame.

To be fair: the mosque is being planned to be built two blocks away. Not every Muslim was involved in 9/11, and surely innocent Muslims were hurt during the attacks.

And finally, we need to be open to the idea that Islam wasn't the cause of the attacks. You can bet that every American Muslim condemned the attacks on their country. And no Islamic text that I know of condones violence, seeing as how no Abrahamic religion condones violence.

Now I mean, if a mosque was being built ON ground zero, I would feel differently. But it's two blocks away.

Simple way to solve this issue that doesn't actually matter: build a church and a synagogue right next to the mosque or of equal distance from ground zero so these ****tards in Florida will shut the hell up and learn what respect is.

4. Empoleon Bonaparte

Empoleon Bonaparte Well-Known Member

Someone was going to build a gaybar right next to it, right?

I refrain from giving my opinion, tbh.

5. Ethan

Ethan Banned

Oh, it's two blocks away? Then I don't care. When I first heard I thought it was going to be much closer.

Like "Okay, here's ground zero, now if you look to your left you can see the giant Muslim mosque."

That would have been bogus. Two blocks away? Grab some balls and get over it.

6. J.T.

J.T. ಠ_ಠ

Me too. I was a bit wary about the idea until I bothered to find out how far away it actually is.

Mirroring responses from Fused and ForeverFlame, with the addition that there is a mosque 4 blocks from Ground Zero already, and plenty of halal carts all around it as well. The only reason this is such a big deal is because it's more publicized. Furthermore, I'd like to point out that we're talking about freaking New York here. It's not exactly as easy as "just build it somewhere else out of taste".

With the exception of one reason I've seen, most reasons to oppose this boil down to Islamophobia. The one exception I've heard was "the guy who plans on building this got some of the money from Hamas". Hey, I never said it was a good reason, or even a true reason (the closest thing he came to a source was saying "Fox News" and linking to a website that sourced Fox News - and said source still didn't say anything about him being related to Hamas).

7. Arctic ursarang

Arctic ursarang Gonzap's facial hair

i believe that they do have right to build it but is EXTREMELY bad taste to do it, just because you can do something doesnt mean you should

8. Mewkachu

Mewkachu Sexuality is a cult.

Ok, yeah. I'm mad at them for doing that, but it's okay, but if they're (America) going to do it again then they have a bigger chance of: bigger damage.

No really, if they build it again, it's going to be crushed.

No really though, it's a big chance of more epic fail

And also, get the hell off of muslims. Not all of them are evil. They can be really nice people.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  9. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Who's ideal was this?

10. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

11. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I heard about this mosque thing last week I believe. It said something about it being built two blocks away from Ground Zero so I didn't even give it a second thought. I don't think it's in bad taste to build a mosque anywhere near Ground Zero. It's not like the people who'd run the mosque had an actual hand in the events that unfolded there 9 years ago so I'm not going to preach about how it's "a bad thing". Let them build what they want, it doesn't automatically affect every New Yorker :/

12. Fused

Fused Shun the nonbeliever

Yeah, but no one is complaining about that.

Americans have shitty priorities. I mean, of all the things this country is going through... we're losing our **** over a mosque? Really? I mean, people getting ****** about this is as surprising as Ricky Martin's sexuality, but come on. It's sad how modern culture almost always automatically links Islam with 9/11.

Arctic ursarang, how is it bad taste to build a house of worship for Muslim people two blocks away from a site that was destroyed by radicals? Just asking. It's not like the people going to the mosque were involved in 9/11.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  13. Ace Trainer Alex

Ace Trainer Alex wants to fight!

I heard about it on the Daily News on Comedy Central. Really, I couldn't care less. We uphold the right to freedom of religion and the mosque is not being built directly on ground zero.

"Oh my god! They are building a mosque for the muslims not far from ground zero!"
    Good for them. Moving right along.

14. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

It's in New York. Think about it. If they could build it somewhere further away, they probably would, but they can't.

Not to mention, it's two blocks away. It's nowhere near the site.

Bad taste would be building a run-way on the site.

15. GolemGuy

GolemGuy Better Than Thou

I'm actually agreeing with Ethan here. Two blocks is an ok distance. If it was on the site, I would be totally against it, but two blocks away is ok.

16. Mewkachu

Mewkachu Sexuality is a cult.

Ok, so we all know that the building is being built.

What about the museum at the real G0? Seriously, they're making the spots of the wtc towers fountains. Could it get any clearer? I don't think it could.

17. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

How the hell is two blocks away far?

18. waffle_x_v

waffle_x_v Fun stuff

Like others said I think it's fine as long as it's not on the same exact spot as ground zero.

But is that area going to stay that way forever or is there ever going to be building of any kind on it?

19. Ethan

Ethan Banned

What, we disagree a lot or something?

20. GaZsTiC

GaZsTiC Alternating

You've never been in New York, have you?