• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Grovyle (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkrai_Lover

I love fanfictions!
I totally love Grovyle! I cried a little at that part of the game where he sacrifised himself. And its really sad how Dialga didnt bring back Grovyle and Celibei at the end of the game. Its a shame they never got a chance to live in the world that they helped save. Oh so sad!! Grovyle why did you have to die!?!!? *screams at the sky*

Jonah

herd u liek mudkips?
Everyone who think Grovyle is weird I just cannot understand o_o Grovyle, IMO is the Pokémon character (out of EVERY Pokémon character, Pokémon, humans from all the games) with the deepest and most interesting character. I'd even go so far as to say he (specifically, this one from PMD2) is my favourite character in all of Pokémon.

Dusknoir wasn't strange either, he was just evil.

edit: I must say though, that i love how that wondeful piece of music which plays only twice in the game (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_AUhCJP6I) plays during two EPIC scenes (When Lapras crosses the sea of time and the Hidden Land materialises in front of you, and during Grovyle's goodbye). It really makes those scenes even more epic (and in Grovyle's one sadder ;_;).

Agreed. Grovyle is usually cold around other Pokemon, befitting his badass image, but he can be really touching...

And the music you refer to (My favorite music in all of Pokemon games) also plays a third time when you resolve to fight Darkrai even though you know it's a trap.

As for Dusknoir, he wasn't evil. He was just...selfish. He became an agent of Primal Dialga for the same reason Primal dialga wanted an agent - self-survival. Whereas Grovyle and Celebi saw that you got to make sacrifices to for the greater good, Dusknoir was too selfish to see that what was lost to him was insignificant compared to saving an entire world from a fate worse than death.

Darkrai was evil. Primal Dialga was insane. And Dusknoir was selfish.

Oh, and Grovyle was badass.

Sim

I still feel kinda sad that Dialga didn't revive Grovyle as well as the main character. I'm sure Grovyle would've loved it.
It was probably becuase Dialga didn't know of Grovyle.. But I totally agree with you.

Yeah, Grovyle was a VERY well-done character. The ending, where he disappears and says farewell to your character, was the only actually-sad moment I can remember in a Pokemon game. And it worked really well, I actually kind of missed him in the later parts of the game.
I agree with this, though I found PMD(the originals)'s 'ending' when you start to fade away very sad too. But Grovyle's goodbye is sadder because you know he's not going to come back.

We do get to see that by the end of the main storyline, but if any character is weird, it would be Dusknoir. Anyone else notice how he talks when he starts noticing that it's possible for him to lose? That thing FLIPPED OUT all kinds of hard on you and your partner.
I noticed that! I don't think he was weird at all, and what you commented on helped me to see further into his character. I found it very interesting how originally he completely ignores you and your partner's pleas to him when ordering the Sableye to attack. You could see he wasn't 'just another baddie'. He was totally determined and confident to kill you. Later though, he does start to talk back. I wouldn't say its when he thinks he could lose.. It seems more like its when your fate is.. 'less' in his hands. Like first when Primal Dialga appears before you, and later when you put up a fight against him.

Grovyle.... where do I start? Out of every Pokemon game I've ever played, this game had the best and deepest plot of any of them. Grovyle was a VERY well made character and accurately fit the bill as both "evil" and savior.
Totally agree.

I was sad when Dialga did not bring Grovyle back from the future, but that adds to his character. His intro was amazing as well as his exit, and bringing him back would've ruined that.
Yes, I have to agree with this too. While Iw ouln't quite say "ruined".. It would definitely have toned down his great exit.

The way his character was portrayed and developed in-game was really well done.
Agreed.

I think she do loved Grovyle. (and I envy her. TvT)
Hehe
And thats a really nice picture! Did you draw it? It would definitely be a nice addition to PMD2's ending! Haha, what Dusknoir supposed to be doing?

I totally love Grovyle! I cried a little at that part of the game where he sacrifised himself. And its really sad how Dialga didnt bring back Grovyle and Celibei at the end of the game. Its a shame they never got a chance to live in the world that they helped save. Oh so sad!! Grovyle why did you have to die!?!!? *screams at the sky*
*Agrees with all of this. Even the crying bit.*

And the music you refer to (My favorite music in all of Pokemon games) also plays a third time when you resolve to fight Darkrai even though you know it's a trap.
Ahh thats your favourite Pokémon music? I wouldn't say it was my favourite, but definitely one of my favourites. Its definitely my fav out of PMD2's musics though. It really is a wonderful piece of music...
Ah, I didn't know of the third time, thanks! I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll be looking forwards to that part now! =D

As for Dusknoir, he wasn't evil. He was just...selfish. He became an agent of Primal Dialga for the same reason Primal dialga wanted an agent - self-survival. Whereas Grovyle and Celebi saw that you got to make sacrifices to for the greater good, Dusknoir was too selfish to see that what was lost to him was insignificant compared to saving an entire world from a fate worse than death.
Hmm, Dusknoir was definitely selfish, but he knew what he was doing, and was doing bad things, to the point of trying to murder, so I would say he was evil... But you do put forward interesting and valid points.

And yes, Darkrai was definitely evil.

I forgot to mention this in my original post here, but near the end of Grovyle's goodbye scene, after he's finished talking to you and your partner and the mood is so low, Dusknoir demands to be released, and Grovyle tells him to be quiet. The mood is so low because of the sad event, but despite that, that bit made me chuckle. That was nice :)

Its nice to see other people who appreciate Grovyle's excellent character.

Last edited:

Quanyails

Shining Ninetales
Grovyle was an awesome character in the PMD2 games. The plot was so deep, and Grovyle had such a dark personality. At first, I thought he was the bad guy, but I noticed how spooky Dusknoir seemed. I was suspicious...

Before the fight with Primal Dialga, Grovyle sacrificed his life for the fate of the world. The events that lead up to my character being destroyed was so emotional and heartbreaking. I didn't cry, but I had a gloomy (but hopeful) emotion in my heart.

The future will be changed for the better. Grovyle will be reborn as one of my pokemon in team Firestorm, along with Dusknoir. They will not fight anymore about the fate of the world. :)

To sum it all up, all I can say is, great job, Nintendo. You sure put a lot of effort into this game. The plots of the main series are horrible, but the PMD series are some of the finest I have ever seen. :p

brats817

I luv Dusknoirz!
I thought Grovyle was strange in a way because he was "acting" like a criminal at first. He never revealed to anyone why he was really stealing the time gears until after capture. Also, he went as far as threatening to kill Azelf for the time gear he couldn't get. I love Grovyle for his intentions to save the world, but he didn't have to get that violent.........Even so, he was an overall good hearted character. I just wish he would've told everyone why he was stealing the time gears. It might be because he knew everyone trusted Dusknoir, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't give it a shot telling them right? And as for Dusknoir, deep down he isn't evil. He only did what he did because he knew if the planet's paralysis was stopped in the past, history would be re-done and he would vanish from existence. He didn't want to die, so that's why he tried stopping Grovyle and his partners. Dusknoir didn't really want the world destroyed, he just didn't want to vanish either. Darkrai was the one who wanted the planet destroyed. Dusknoir did do evil things however, going so far to even try killing the heros and Grovyle. He was just scared and selfish. He just needs to start thinking about what's best for everyone and not just for himself. That doesn't make him truly evil though. He was just selfish and confused. I wish Dialga would give him another chance at life and bring him back. And bring Grovyle back as well.......

Warfare

liverliverliverliver
I thought Grovyle was strange in a way because he was "acting" like a criminal at first.

He wasn't 'acting' like a criminal; he was only portrayed as one to throw players off until they realized his true intentions.

Also, he went as far as threatening to kill Azelf for the time gear he couldn't get.

No. He needed to get the Time Gear to save the world. He wouldn't [and didn't] threaten to kill Azelf. He just got Azelf out of his way to get the Time Gear only for the good intentions.

I just wish he would've told everyone why he was stealing the time gears.

In reality, would you trust anyone with anything personal? Grovyle had no choice. If he told the other Pokemon about his intentions, they wouldn't believe him. Anyway, Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit were the ones who were dedicated to guard the Time Gear. That means no exceptions from outsiders.

brats817

I luv Dusknoirz!

He wasn't 'acting' like a criminal; he was only portrayed as one to throw players off until they realized his true intentions.

No. He needed to get the Time Gear to save the world. He wouldn't [and didn't] threaten to kill Azelf. He just got Azelf out of his way to get the Time Gear only for the good intentions.

In reality, would you trust anyone with anything personal? Grovyle had no choice. If he told the other Pokemon about his intentions, they wouldn't believe him. Anyway, Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit were the ones who were dedicated to guard the Time Gear. That means no exceptions from outsiders.

The way the story went, he didn't need to "act" like a criminal. And yes, he needed the time gear, but there was a part that he said that he'll get the time gear even if it means destroying Azelf. And true they might not have beleived him if he told them his true intentions, but then again, everyone trusted Dusknoir and were fooled by him. When Grovyle went back to the past after capture, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf beleived Grovyle's story and let him have the time gears. Grovyle is by no means bad even if he "acted" like a criminal at first. His intentions to save the world are great. I just felt bad that he threatened to destroy Azelf even for a good cause is all. But I still loved Grovyle, so it doesn't matter. I wish he was back......and Dusknoir too.

Warfare

liverliverliverliver
And true they might not have beleived him if he told them his true intentions, but then again, everyone trusted Dusknoir and were fooled by him.

Grovyle had no time to prove himself like Dusknoir did. Dusknoir proved himself to be all 'great' when in fact, he just had his own intentions.

When Grovyle went back to the past after capture, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf beleived Grovyle's story and let him have the time gears.

What other option would Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf have had if the Time Gears wouldn't work when even in their proper place?

Grovyle is by no means bad even if he "acted" like a criminal at first. His intentions to save the world are great.

Again, he did not act like a criminal; he was only portrayed as one.

zarb

i think that Dialga didnt bring him back because they werent that sad about him leaving but your partner was crushed by you leaving and Dialga brought you back and not grovyle

Grovyle was born in a dark era, in which Pokemon were influenced by the chaos of time and turned dark with it. I think he got used to trust only a few people/Pokemon around him, and used to be a 'criminal' with all the others trying to catch him. I would think he had no idea that reasoning with the Lake Trio would work, although he knew that the elfs were only performing their duty.
Looking back, however, I don't think Grovyle was really acting criminal like. When Uxie regreted that he hadn't erased the guildmember's memories, Grovyle proved their innocence by stating that in fact no one led him there. It seemed like he didn't want Uxie to misunderstand others. And when Mesprit tried to stop him, he told her not to push it as she was suffering serious damage from the previous battle. After learned the truth, I found that there were traces showing that Grovyle was kind at heart.
About Azelf...I think they got really annoyed with each other. Azelf was just as determined as Grovyle, he would protect the Time Gear at any cost while Grovyle would do anything to get it. They were both justified, and they might think that to reach their goals there were certain price to pay.

P.S. I'll go to the beach everyday and cry until Dialga bring Grovyle back. TvT (And it will probably take forever.)

brats817

I luv Dusknoirz!

Grovyle had no time to prove himself like Dusknoir did. Dusknoir proved himself to be all 'great' when in fact, he just had his own intentions.

What other option would Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf have had if the Time Gears wouldn't work when even in their proper place?

Again, he did not act like a criminal; he was only portrayed as one.

True, but everyone fell for Dusknoir nontheless. And Grovyle told the trio the whole real story. He was portrayed as a villian at first, but a few points he acted like one too, to try and fool the players.

Ryuartyi

PMD Enthusiast
i think that Dialga didnt bring him back because they werent that sad about him leaving but your partner was crushed by you leaving and Dialga brought you back and not grovyle
Dialga only brought you back because you were needed to stop Darkrai. Your partner was still too timid to do it by himself.

-Rookai-

This is the way I see it *Story Spoilers WARNING*

Primal Dialga is a demented form of Dialga caused by the halt of time. In its current form, Primal Dialga seeks only self preservation, so when Grovyle sets to get the time gears he sends Dusknoir. Dusknoir is no more than Primal Dialga's lackey sent to elinimate anything that attempts to change the past, Dusknoir with his Sabeleye hunt down the protagonists of the story (you, Grovyle, your partner, Celebi). Grovyle turned into a fugitive thus giving him his crinimal appearance. Grovyle kept secret and gained no friendship that would slow him down because of the urgency of his mission.

This might have been what made his goodbye so sad.

Ryuartyi

PMD Enthusiast
It's not a Pokemon planet, it's a secluded part of the whole Pokemon world. It's similar to how Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1 worked.

Lord Dialga

The Deity of Time
I have several favorite characters in PMD2. Here they are:

Grovyle

A cool-spirited, charismatic, and strong character, Grovyle set off on a mission to save the world, even though he knew the consequences. His short amount of temper and patience made him an interesting character, and a greater hero. He loved others more than himself, and he fought for world peace.

Dusknoir

Yes, Dusknoir. What was introduced as an Alakazam-like explorer, seemingly kind and wise, was actually an evil villain bent on keeping the world in darkness and causing suffering. Cruel and crafty, Dusknoir was probably among Pokemon's biggest villains, including Giovann and Cyrus.

Wigglytuff

A lovable yet absent-minded ball of fluff, Wigglytuff had the leadership of a king, and the heart of a child, believing everyone should have fun and enjoy life. His frequent Perfect Apple obession along with his jolly nature made me laugh.

Partner & Player

The perfect team. Both support each other and believe in each other. The player helps the partner be strong, and the partner serves as a loyal friend. Which makes the ending even more touching, when they go on being friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.