• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GSC/Stadium 2 Mystery Gift Mysteries

Kata

I’ve been doing a lot of Mystery Gifts between my GSC carts and Stadium 2 over the past year. I’ve got a decent decoration collection and it’s been pretty entertaining, but this experience has raised a handful of questions which don’t seem to have answers anywhere. I’m posting this thread in hopes that I might connect with the other two or three people on this planet who are into gen 2 Mystery Gift.

For those unaware, the items/decorations your GSC save is able to send through Mystery Gift are determined by your ID number (something which doesn’t seem to be very well documented).

Through my testing (~500 Mystery Gifts with Stadium 2), I’ve observed that Stadium 2 seems to mimic your GSC save’s ID in regards to which items can be sent. For instance, I know that none of my GSC saves are able to send Magikarp Dolls (a common decoration), and I never received one from Stadium 2 in hundreds of gifts… until I did - the day after my Crystal sent a Big Lapras Doll to Stadium 2 (which prompted a freak out dialogue from Carrie), I received a Magikarp Doll. Sooo… my hypothesis now is that you can receive special loot the day after you send Carrie an uber rare item. It’s possible what I experienced was just a coincidence, but it seems like I should’ve received the Magikarp Doll much earlier if there wasn’t something to this. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Additionally, in my ~500 Mystery gifts with Stadium 2, I’ve not received any of the three Stadium 2-exclusive decorations (Pikachu Bed, Tentacool Doll, Unown Doll). I’ve spent hours looking through forum posts from the early 2000s searching for anyone who might’ve received any of these items. From a 2001 Azure Heights post, Meowth346 (of Pokémon Forever fame) apparently got a Tentacool Doll, which made Carrie complain for a week, though they didn’t share any other details about it that I’m aware of. (This is the only person I could find who actually had any of these items >_>) If you’ve received any of these items, I’d love to hear about it!

If anyone has any other remotely relevant pieces of information, anecdotes, trivia, or ideas on who I might pester to learn more about GSC/Stadium 2 Mystery Gift, please let me know!

Alienshroom

I only play Crystal and Silver but I restart my Silver for items often. I have only been gifting on my Crystal but Carrie has ended the gifting for weeks now with "Do you know this rumor? There might be a way to receive a Tentacool Doll. " after we gift. She has gotten dolls and blue carpet which she was very happy about but I do believe she still ended the gifting with that quote.

How often do you see such a message relating to the rarest items on the loot table? It might be common. All I really know about the gifting is the list of items on Serrebi.

I would not mind gifting on my Silver and Crystal and keeping track of what we receive day by day and seeing what happens in a few months. With as low as the chances are for the three Stadium 2 exclusives its definitely hard to go by any sort of numbers as to why it may have not appeared yet. That is if the information here on Serrebi is correct. With a 5% chance listed here on Serrebi for the Magikarp Doll it does seem crazy to not have seen it in 500ish gifts.

If the items are tied to ID you would have to imagine you can still get at least 1 of the exclusive 3 decorations. Carrie has really has drilled that Tentacool doll rumor home for weeks now. I figured the message was just to let you know to keep gifting since that was an item with a really low chance of appearing on the Serrebi mystery gift page.

I was shooting for the NES and n64 it would be crazy if your trainer ID could stop them from appearing... I also feel like that Tentacool doll has to be coming for me too. I think it would be wild to not even be able to generate it on that save if that is the only dialogue she has been closing with. I guess I will find out in the coming weeks what she has to say about Silver, and if she decides to stop mentioning the Tentacool doll on Crystal.

Kata

Whew! I knew there were other Mystery Gift enthusiasts out there somewhere! :D

I’ve experienced the "Do you know this rumor?…" messages, too. I’m not sure if they're actually indicative of anything. I didn’t pay attention to which games were receiving which rumors, unfortunately. The dialogue I received from Carrie when she got a Big Lapras Doll was "Yaah! I did it! It’s BIG LAPRAS! I hope this isn’t a dream!" I believe only the Big Dolls can prompt this dialogue, so maybe that’s what triggered her to send the Magikarp Doll the next day. (Lower tier, but still rare rewards like Carpets have a different dialogue, I believe).

I’m not sure if the Stadium 2-exclusive decorations are tied to IDs, but other rewards definitely are. Each trainer ID has 8 common, 4 uncommon, and 2 rare decorations associated with it. A user on Project Pokémon shared a program a few years ago that identifies which items your ID can send. If you'd like, I’d be happy to check which decorations your trainer IDs can send.

Last edited:

Alienshroom

My Silver ID is 50660 and my Crystal ID is 18836. I mentioned I restart my Silver often so that sounds useful if you wanted to pass along a link here or PM your Discord if you want. It sounds like I may have to make a new game a few times after learning this new information. My Crystal ID will remain what it is but I thought I would be able to get all the items in time through Stadium 2 but it looks like I need to start gifting between Crystal and Silver with GBC.

Kata

common: Poliwag Doll, Staryu Doll, Magikarp Doll, Shellder Doll, Grimer Doll, Clefairy Doll, Super NES, Machop Doll
uncommon: Tropicplant, NES, Bulbasaur Doll, Polkadot Bed
rare: Big Onix Doll, Surf Pikachu Doll
common: Jigglypuff Doll, Staryu Doll, Magikarp Doll, Gengar Doll, Voltorb Doll, Clefairy Poster, Super NES, Machop Doll
uncommon: Tropicplant, NES, Bulbasaur Doll, Polkadot Bed
rare: Blue Carpet, Surf Pikachu Doll

Looks like identical uncommon lineups. Not exactly ideal. >.>

enjucityblues

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm also just beginning to unravel all the secrets of Gen 2 (well, for the first time since it came out when I was ten but I didn't get to play it all the way through back then, let alone peruse any of the N64 Stadium 2 content). But I digress...

I an also keep track of what I get day by day and let y'all know. I'm currently only using Crystal but I have Gold and Silver too and might test those soon, as well, but for now, definitely will record Crystal Mystery Gift progress.