• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GTS a Disappointment.

When I heard that there was a way you could trade pokemon with others online, why I thought it would an amazingly useful addition that could solve all the woes of one who lacks a second ds, or even a friend trade with. Sigh, but upon looking through the gts I can no longer be so optimistic. The idea of only being able to view three options for a chosen selection is unfair, since you can't use what you want to trade as a filter, and even more so because trainers apparently think they can get away with completely ripping each other off.

Seriously a lv 1 piplup for a Celebi? You want me to trade you my lv 100 Empoleon for your lv 45 one, without even giving me an item in return? It's just ridiculous. I think I saw but one fair offer in my search of like 30. I realize that lots of younger kids play the game, but that doesn't make it any easier on me when I want to do a fair, realistic trade.

I guess I am merely wondering if my experience/opinion is the norm, and whether or not people find this dubious feature a useful addition to the games.

randomspot555

You're only the millonth person to make this post/thread.

What do you expect people to do in anything unregulated? There will be some idiots "overcharging" or playing a high risk-high reward type of deal.

MAke a reasonable offer and you'll get your trade. I've never had trouble doing that, and it gets done 90% of the time in 24-48 hours.

Well I did a search similar to my title and it came up with zip, and since the Serebii net forums are very slow to respond, in my region at least, I was not inclined to try and do anymore searching. Sigh, I hope it performs better for others, because it's slower than dialup for me.

As for what I expected, it was not some but almost all I saw that overcharged, and it was mainly a problem because gamefreak implemented online trading so poorly when it comes to searching for a pokemon. Glad to hear that putting a pokemon up for grabs works though, now I can do the build I want with some confidence that I can aquire the pokes I need. Thank you.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Well I did a search similar to my title and it came up with zip, and since Serebii net in insanely slow to respond, in my region at least, I was not feeling in the mood to spend a half hour searching.

As for what I expected, it was not some but almost all I saw that overcharged, and it was mainly a problem because gamefreak implemented online trading so poorly when it comes to searching for a pokemon. Glad to hear that putting a pokemon up for grabs works though, now I can do the build I want with some confidence that I can aquire the pokes I need.

I've found good trades via searching too, but putting up something for an offer, going about your day, and then check back in 24 hours is much more convenient.

Spiritomb is practically gold on the GTS. A level 1 will fetch you basically any unevolved form, and raise it a few levels up and you'll get even better. I got a level 50 Magnezone for my level 36 Spiritomb once.

Also worth offering are basically any Pokemon that is hard to encounter (even if they're breedable). Munchlax, Heracross, and Rotom all fit these requirements.

hitoshura0

I've been having good luck with Zangoose recently, some times getting them back in less than an hour. Another good thing to put up are starters and version exclusives. Those usually go pretty fast.

Skull_Kid

Meme Lover:P
I got a Shiny empoleon hardy for my seviper.too bad the empoleon had a dumb nickname(dumb5h1t), but still, pretty cool:)

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
You see all sorts of lousy trades because the offers that are remotely reasonable get snapped up in record speed, leaving lots of "Offering Lv.1 Bidoof, looking for Lv.100 Arceus"-type trades around. On top of that, some people might be trying to do various GTS tricks instead of actually looking for a trade - off the top of my head, I know there's a trick to do trade evolutions with GTS, along with a cloning trick. By asking for unreasonable Pokemon in return for their "offer", they make sure that nobody takes the Pokemon they're trying to do a GTS trick with.

Really, just offer Pokemon instead of searching for them. It'll go much faster.

The majority of uncommon and rare Pokemon on the GTS are more than likely hacked.

Most people ask for a Mew and other Event only Pokemon.

You can only ask for Pokemon you have seen before.

These are all major problems with the GTS. But all is not lost. You can still use wifi to connect to other people. Serebii has a whole board dedicated to trading Pokemon. It takes a bit longer than the GTS, but it is a much more reliable way to obtain Pokemon. Since you obviously have access to Wifi and Serebii, I suggest using the trading board here instead of wasting your time on the GTS.

You will wield a much more fruitful experience than any GTS trade could offer.

But that is only my opinion. Do what you wish.

randomspot555

The majority of uncommon and rare Pokemon on the GTS are more than likely hacked.

I've traded several Pokemon on the GTS, legendary and otherwise, and have gotten VERY few hacks.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but the GTS puts a legality check in place to catch the most blatant offenders.

randomspot555

I've traded several Pokemon on the GTS, legendary and otherwise, and have gotten VERY few hacks.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but the GTS puts a legality check in place to catch the most blatant offenders.

As for the trade board suggest, I've gotten hacks from there too. Hacks are just a part of training. If you ever get one, release it. Simple as that.

BlazeShadow

As for the trade board suggest, I've gotten hacks from there too. Hacks are just a part of training. If you ever get one, release it. Simple as that.

Ehm, how do you know the pokémon you get are legit?

I got a Shiny empoleon hardy for my seviper.too bad the empoleon had a dumb nickname(dumb5h1t), but still, pretty cool
This sounds very legit!

randomspot555

Ehm, how do you know the pokémon you get are legit?

I know how to read and have a basic knowledge of what can and can't go into the summary of a legit Pokemon. I can also run them through a legality check, or run them through PBR and the GTS (since they both have a legality check when using/trading/battling) if I need further confirmation.

BlazeShadow

I know how to read and have a basic knowledge of what can and can't go into the summary of a legit Pokemon. I can also run them through a legality check, or run them through PBR and the GTS (since they both have a legality check when using/trading/battling) if I need further confirmation.

Uh, isn't it easy to make a Pokémon with legit stats etc? And how does the PBR/GTS legality check work?

Master TF

Yeah and some people ask for stupid things like someone asked for a shaymin for a Probopass.

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
I actually have been able to get a lot of Pokemon to fill my Pokedex on there despite the offers, though it takes time and patience. For the ones I haven't seen in my dex, I went to a trading site and made deals then got on wifi like that.

Aquanova

I find it rediculous that people think they can get away with wanting a Darkrai for a piplup or any other thing like that. Thats rediculous- yes the majority of event pokemon like Darkrai, Shaymin, Celebi or Mew are hacked. I got a lv. 100 Darkrai that im surprised was even let on. It has 31 IVs in 5 stats, so unless someone spent a month SRing to get aperfect Darkrai,its hacked. thats really low putting hacked pokemon in exchange fo your hard trained Lv. 100s, or rares.

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
Let's not forget the rare occasion where people put up a good Pokemon and ask for something definatley not worth it.

(Happened to me before a long time ago, I got a Japanese Mantyke off of the GTS, then saw someone put up a Japanese Palkia looking for a Mantyke. I traded it, so now I have a legit-looking Palkia with a Lustrous Orb.)

Uh, isn't it easy to make a Pokémon with legit stats etc? And how does the PBR/GTS legality check work?

Whenever you try to use for example, "Wondertomb" (Wonder Guard Spiritomb), then it turns into a Bad Egg in PBR instead of a Pokemon. It, unfortunately, remains a real(hacked) P0kemon in the Handheld Game

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Im fine with the GTS. my only problem is that you can only ask for pokemon you have seen so if lets say you want a mewtwo you cant get it unless you transfered it but then you already have one so most 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation pokemon are unobtainable over the GTS

also one question why does anyone care if the pokemon you get is a hack, it still is the pokemon you asked for and you can still use it