• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GTS Trading: Saint or Sinner?...

Are you a Saint or Sinner when trading on GTS?

• Saint- I make beneficial and fair trades.

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • Sinner- Every man for himself!

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Some good ones, some bad ones.

Votes: 43 39.4%
  • Who cares! I don't have Wi-Fi.

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Well, are you a brother helping out another Poke Trainer in need with high IVs, hard to breed moves, good items, giving up your once-only evolutionary hold items, and your prized Manaphy...

-or-

Are you a criminal, exploiting people from across the world with Mild natured Rhyperiors, 0-5 IVs in all stats, no items to hold, expecting every level 100 event-only Pokemon in return?

As for me, I've made 37+ trades on GTS, and everyone of them has had a beneficial nature for that particular Pokemon. Most of the time I slap on an item that could help evolve another Pokemon, or maybe give them a fossil/TM along with the Pokemon. I'm not stroking my own ego, but it's nice to know that you may have made somebody's day.

Of course, you could just be trading and not care either way.

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
I actually stay off the GTS for now. Except when ridiculous things (like a Tangela not being present on my Diamond Box or the entire GTS) happens.

But soon I'm going to slap down some of my cloned Pokemon back on, like my Bold XD Lugia and such. So I guess I'm a saint, especially since I frequently throw down Master Balls to seal the deal.

HookShot

Shiny get!
I'm not gonna lie. Vote for sinner.
Don't look at me like that. I don't go one there and do the give-me-a-lv-100-*insert-rare-pokemon-here*-for-my-Bidoof thing. But I do give away the pokemon I have with less-than-desireable natures.
And I used a Mild Rehyperior in Platinum... I still have him too.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I'm wishing I had put in a fifth option, "Who cares, I generally hate the GTS and never use it!" Oh well. I still don't mind it.

IVs are the values that determine how high from the base stat a particular Pokemon's stats will rise. An IV of 0 can differentiate a Pokemon's particular statistic 31 points lower than another Pokemon with an IV of 31 in that same statistic. Obviously important for functionality, and quite infuriating when you get a trade with with nothing but low IVs.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
Only a fool would use it.

muumajii23

I use the GTS just to get version exclusives, and sometimes I will take something if the deal is good.

Sinner, when i do go to my gfs house and use her wireless connection I have to constantly get frustrated at the Arons and Aipoms that are being offered for Mews and Darkrais... except for that one Shiny Aipom that was up for a female Mantine....which was in turn up for something else that was up for a legendary

Arande

I love it XD just gotta know how to work with it, and not give up anything of actual value (if I get a hack, the most I lost in the end was a zangoose or munchlax holding an event berry)

I've given many a legit darkrai, lugia, etc for some of the shiny floatzels I've pulled from there.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I don't really trade great Pokemon and items attached to them, but I'm not a sinner compared to 95% of the GTS that asks for a legendary for a common Pokemon.

MrPostman

Viceroy
Currently emptying some boxes full of random pokes I got from other people by trading them for Bidoofs (will be releasing them afterwords). I'm only doing this for space issues.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I actually got my first hacked Pokemon from GTS yesterday. A lvl. 100 Shiny Magmortar, caught on Route 229 (!) for a Rhyperior. And yes, it's from some Japanese girl. So even (supposedly) women in Japan like to give you the slip! You definitely gotta use intuition on the GTS.

But it won't detour me from doing what's right. Glad to know there's some Saints out there.

godudette

/me cresselias
Well, I put up Pokemon that people normally are looking for in exchange for a common Pokemon to fill my Dex. I've put up a lot of Feebas, Ditto, and Munchlax for the heck of it. I don't ask for much- a Nidoran, Pineco, etc...

I did recently trade my level 75 Umbreon away, though, for a low-level Ursaring. I must have made somebody's day.

Lord Scalgon

What title?
And yes, it's from some Japanese girl. So even (supposedly) women in Japan like to give you the slip! You definitely gotta use intuition on the GTS.

But it won't detour me from doing what's right. Glad to know there's some Saints out there.

You know, even Japanese males play as female trainers. Just because you see the OT in red doesn't mean it actually came from a girl.

An example of a non-Japanese male player playing as a female trainer? Marriland.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
Well, really, anyone who accepts the trade/asks for what is traded to them isn't getting gipped, since they DID get what they asked for, unless it's a hack (then you're a sinner, I suppose...)...

I don't think that trading simply "bad" pokemon, like with low IVs and bad natures is being a sinner, though... They didn't ask for a good natured Rhyperior with awesome IVs.. They just asked for a Rhyperior. ANY Rhyperior. As long as they get a legit one, then whoever gave it to them is a saint, really. I mean, they gave them what they wanted, right? :p

My point: Don't expect to get anything good of the GTS. But if you do, awesome. =D

As for me.. I generally trade pokemon/items that are easy for me to obtain, but for some reason are sought-after, like elekids with electrilizers. Not necessarily good IV/natures.. But still, it's something that people are willing to trade for.
I don't put up a Bidoof and ask for a Darkrai.. And IMO, people who do that aren't sinners, just silly. XD

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
You know, even Japanese males play as female trainers. Just because you see the OT in red doesn't mean it actually came from a girl.

An example of a non-Japanese male player playing as a female trainer? Marriland.

Hence the supposedly. And it could have come originally from a boy in Japan who played as a girl in the game, then traded it to a girl who played as a boy, who then passed it on down the line. Nobody's judgin'. ;P

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
I usually trade pretty common pokes, but I don't ask much for return. Gives more chances in the lotto! :D