• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Guitar Hero

fhqwhgads

You confused more responsive with a larger window. GH3 greatly increased the time you can hit a note in. That was an awful move on their part, and it's also why they toned it back in Aerosmith, World Tour, and Metallica.

seveguy

Guitar Hero II, Rocks the 80's, and Guitar Hero III are enjoyable. I personally prefer Rock Band however.

I think that Rock Band 2 is better than Guitar Hero IV.

Why I think this:

I like the songs better on Rock Band 2.

Its more fun to sing on Rock Band 2 than GH4.

You can see how many stars you have while you're playing the song.

The scoring system is more simple and easier to understand. I got a full combo on 'The Middle' on GH4 and got an 88%. I got a full combo on 'The Middle' on RB2 and got 100%.

Its easier to see how well you're doing during the song.

Guitar Hero II was the first one I played. Some of the cool songs include Crazy on You, Free Bird, Monkey Wrench, Carry On Wayward Son, YYZ, Dead!, The Trooper, and Surrender. An improvement upon the original.

Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's rocked the 80's definitley. The best songs were No One Like You, I Ran, Heat of the Moment, Synchronicity II, and Turning Japanese. It was also fun to see the characters dressed in 1980's outfits. A lot of the guitar in the game's songs was unique like Synchronicity II and Turning Japanese's guitar. The solos were also notably harder.

Guitar Hero III compiled onto the irresistible franchise. The graphics were better, you could play as legends of rock, and a more challenging game play. Great songs include Barracuda, Welcome to the Jungle, and Holiday in Cambodia.

The original Guitar Hero, Aerosmith, and 4 failed to make the mark though. It might be safe to say that some people might agree with me.

What bothered me about 4, however, is how is gave in so quickly to Rock Band's success. I would have respected the creators if they would have just stuck to guitar, regardless if it wouldn't do as well money wise. With GH4, I believe the Guitar Hero series lost its authenticity. They put lots of emphasis on guitar anyways and not enough on vocals and drums. It would have been exactly the same game without the vocals and drums.

I had my doubts all along, but something deep down told m GH4 would be better. I was happy it wasn't. The Rock Band series is better, and the critics agree with me.

seveguy

Guitar Hero II, Rocks the 80's, and Guitar Hero III are enjoyable. I personally prefer Rock Band however.

I think that Rock Band 2 is better than Guitar Hero IV.

Why I think this:

I like the songs better on Rock Band 2.

Its more fun to sing on Rock Band 2 than GH4.

You can see how many stars you have while you're playing the song.

The scoring system is more simple and easier to understand. I got a full combo on 'The Middle' on GH4 and got an 88%. I got a full combo on 'The Middle' on RB2 and got 100%.

Its easier to see how well you're doing during the song.

Guitar Hero II was the first one I played. Some of the cool songs include Crazy on You, Free Bird, Monkey Wrench, Carry On Wayward Son, YYZ, Dead!, The Trooper, and Surrender. An improvement upon the original.

Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's rocked the 80's definitley. The best songs were No One Like You, I Ran, Heat of the Moment, Synchronicity II, and Turning Japanese. It was also fun to see the characters dressed in 1980's outfits. A lot of the guitar in the game's songs was unique like Synchronicity II and Turning Japanese's guitar. The solos were also notably harder.

Guitar Hero III compiled onto the irresistible franchise. The graphics were better, you could play as legends of rock, and a more challenging game play. Great songs include Barracuda, Welcome to the Jungle, and Holiday in Cambodia.

The original Guitar Hero, Aerosmith, and 4 failed to make the mark though. It might be safe to say that some people might agree with me.

What bothered me about 4, however, is how is gave in so quickly to Rock Band's success. I would have respected the creators if they would have just stuck to guitar, regardless if it wouldn't do as well money wise. With GH4, I believe the Guitar Hero series lost its authenticity. They put lots of emphasis on guitar anyways and not enough on vocals and drums. It would have been exactly the same game without the vocals and drums.

I had my doubts all along, but something deep down told m GH4 would be better. I was happy it wasn't. The Rock Band series is better, and the critics agree with me.

Plus the DLC is better in Rock Band.

Slick

Banned
I can't really say, because I haven't had the chance to play Rock Band 1 OR 2, however I have a bone to pick.
It's small, and maybe you'll find me annoying but anyways,

You obviously did not get a full combo. A full combo is when you go through the whole song, WITHOUT dropping a note. You would've gotten 100% in GH4, as you did in RB2.

fhqwhgads

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal

The original guitar hero failed to make the mark? A game that was original in concept, well recieved and started a whole series? I believe you're presenting your own opinion as fact.

I personally didn't like GH3 as much as 2 or 1, but I'm not denying it was a good, popular game. I just didn't think it was as good. Track list wise it was great, but everything else was a meh.

What am I saying? I hated 3 because Izzy Sparks no longer had a top hat.

And I bet I could find some critics that don't. See how this opinion thing works?

I personally prefer GH4 over RB2. Even though the track lists have some similarities (Everlong, Eye of the tiger and Livin on a prayer) I think that GH4 is better value for money. In GAME, for £150 you get the game itself, guitar, mic, drums and sticks, various straps and stickers plus another guitar availbe for the wii version.

I've yet to see any RB 2 offers, but if they do the same as the first one, as in force you to buy the instruments separately from the game, then I will not even be tempted to get it. Not even for Hungry like the Wolf.

Having said that, it appears that the game this time around comes with a guitar controller. So there's a chance they'll do a similar sort of offer.

Anyways, off that deviation and back on topic. I'm most likely getting World Tour for the wii for crimbo, taking advantage of the aformentioned offer. Also considering getting a mic stand, just to spite my sister by not letting her do vocals. I'm a terrible singer, but she hates playing bass more XD

Everlong looks like it'll be my signiture song, much like how in 2 it was Sweet Child o' Mine.

Cobalt_Latios

Okay, from what I'm reading it seems Rock Band 2 is a much more worthwhile purchase than Guitar Hero World Tour. That said, is Guitar Hero III still worthwhile?

The only Guitar Hero games I've played are II for PS2 and On Tour for DS. So, I'm sort of just beginning into the franchise (I'll likely get OTD for DS also).

So, does anyone have a comparison between GH and RB that could aid me in figuring out whether or not I should get a previous title, or if GHWT is okay if you're not really "hardcore" into it and just want to play it for fun?

Of course, I've seen lots of things stating that Rock Band 2 is much better, so I'm beginning to look into it.

Just curious, I find it's better to know about what you're looking into beforehand to avoid problems.

~C_L~

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal
We already had a guy in a tophat.

Right, so I'm guessing 'Beat It' will become IV's version of 'Cliffs of Dover' for me.

You can never have too many top hats!

But I forgot Slash was wearing one, which is odd considering the game is lying less than 2 feet away from me. But I prefered Izzy's GH2 style to 3. In fact, I didn't like most of the 3 designs. Even though the characters were stereotypes before, I felt it went ott with them e.g Johnny Napalms hair. S'pose it's down to Neversoft taking over as developer.

Meh, I just prefered 2 overall. If I could have had a combination of 2&3's set list with 2's graphics, I'd be happy.

In other news, I am hearing that the drumkit with GH4 is flimsy as and the cymbals break easily. Anyone confirm/deny this?

fhqwhgads

There are many, many flaws with that game. While the setlist, yes, is pretty good, the singer looks like a frog and never...moves, that's the word. Hell, his mouth barely moves. Well, come to think of it, nothing really moves. You've got the robot drummer, the stationary singer, the completely ignored bassist, and the guitarist who sorta flails their arms when they want to. Plus, there's massive overcharting issues in Hard and Expert difficulties.
The only Guitar Hero games I've played are II for PS2 and On Tour for DS. So, I'm sort of just beginning into the franchise (I'll likely get OTD for DS also).
A lot of Decades is actually in Rock Band already, and buying the necessary amount of Points to get most, if not all, of what you want, will probably end up cheaper, not to mention you get four instruments for the song, as opposed to two if you take Decades.
So, does anyone have a comparison between GH and RB that could aid me in figuring out whether or not I should get a previous title, or if GHWT is okay if you're not really "hardcore" into it and just want to play it for fun?
GHWT is the more "hardcore" one. There's a lot of, "Wtf, this is crazy and doesn't even make sense," just because they wanted it to be hard. Not to mention, nothing is tiered, it's just...listed. Rock Band 2 has tiers(7 tiers, 12 songs in each, sans RB1 songs and DLC), and a No Fail Mode for parties or just trying Visions on Expert for lulz.
Of course, I've seen lots of things stating that Rock Band 2 is much better, so I'm beginning to look into it.
You're welcome.
Yeah that's what I meant. ^_^;; I worded wrong.
My point still stands. He did not get a FC.
Yes, that is true.
You can never have too many top hats!
One time, I wore five tophats. They fell off. I was sad.
In other news, I am hearing that the drumkit with GH4 is flimsy as and the cymbals break easily. Anyone confirm/deny this?
I can. Plus, if your stuff does break(large chance it will), Neversoft won't cover the shipping. They throw an address at you and wait for you to pay shipping because their crap broke. Plus, it's a thirty day warranty. And, if on day twenty-nine, you send it in, guess what? When your new one comes, your warranty's over. It doesn't reset when you get new stuff. So, if it comes back just as bad, guess who has to spend another $90 replacing it? You.

Rock Band has a sixty day warranty that resets every time you get new equipment, and they cover shipping(hell, they'll send you a new instrument right away, and then when you get the new one, you send yours back, so no downtime).

Cyan

Mortal

Cobalt_Latios

There are many, many flaws with that game. While the setlist, yes, is pretty good, the singer looks like a frog and never...moves, that's the word. Hell, his mouth barely moves. Well, come to think of it, nothing really moves. You've got the robot drummer, the stationary singer, the completely ignored bassist, and the guitarist who sorta flails their arms when they want to. Plus, there's massive overcharting issues in Hard and Expert difficulties.
Well, like in DDR I really don't care what the characters look like, as I'm more focused at actually playing the darned thing (let's not forget, the only GH game I own is OT. Truthfully. Though, I'll be honest in saying the peripheral, while good cramps considerably. Take a good break between songs. I've also found a few other ways of holding onto the peripheral, but I find that holding the DS at an angle really helps. Sure, not the best experience, but I enjoy it. I'm getting beat on Medium, sadly...).

Yeah, I'm more focused on the song and the notes than actually watching the characters perform, (of course, I read your pm and began watching some of this... oh my god. It' not going to take much to convince me now...).

A lot of Decades is actually in Rock Band already, and buying the necessary amount of Points to get most, if not all, of what you want, will probably end up cheaper, not to mention you get four instruments for the song, as opposed to two if you take Decades.
Oh, well, then I'll have a good amount of practice then. Haha, eh just kidding. In terms of points, are you perhaps referring to Wii Points, because all I've really got is the Wii, DS, and PS2 (I'll be frank, I'd rather play this on my Wii than the PS2... is RB even on the PS2? Okay... more research then.). Also, I really don't care what songs'll be on these games, as long as they're catchy, and have a good rhythm I can follow (I've discovered this helps me when playing On Tour).

GHWT is the more "hardcore" one. There's a lot of, "Wtf, this is crazy and doesn't even make sense," just because they wanted it to be hard. Not to mention, nothing is tiered, it's just...listed. Rock Band 2 has tiers(7 tiers, 12 songs in each, sans RB1 songs and DLC), and a No Fail Mode for parties or just trying Visions on Expert for lulz.
So... that's 84 songs + DLC (I presume it doesn't at all work the same way as WT... again, I'm talking in terms of the Wii.). And... how many does WT have? At this point, 84 songs is amazing. I'm nearly sold on this game. I'll do some more research to find out some last little details (at this point, even if I did get GHWT just for the music studio, it seems that it'd be a bit more complicated than initially thought, and maybe just not quite something I'd have the time to tinker around in.).

At this point, the last thing I'd like to know is the price of this game. Again, for Wii. Really, the price tag is the only concern I have so far, and at this rate I think I'm next to sold (btw, thanks for the vids fhq, I've noticed quite a bit of differences between the two games, and I must say, I'm leaning towards RB2 much more now).

~C_L~

fhqwhgads

So... that's 84 songs + DLC (I presume it doesn't at all work the same way as WT... again, I'm talking in terms of the Wii.). And... how many does WT have? At this point, 84 songs is amazing. I'm nearly sold on this game.
Glad you mentioned it. As it stands, including free stuff, you can have the 86 in GHWT(but Gamestop kept saying 84 and my friend said they removed a Linkin Park song, so I'm far too confused) and two free songs. Or, you can go with RB2's 84 songs on-disc, and 23 free.
At this point, the last thing I'd like to know is the price of this game. Again, for Wii. Really, the price tag is the only concern I have so far, and at this rate I think I'm next to sold (btw, thanks for the vids fhq, I've noticed quite a bit of differences between the two games, and I must say, I'm leaning towards RB2 much more now).

~C_L~
$180 or $190 for the bundle, I can't remember if they did the $10 less for Wii thing with this. Standalone disc is $50, guitar is...wanna say $70...might be $80.

Cobalt_Latios

Glad you mentioned it. As it stands, including free stuff, you can have the 86 in GHWT(but Gamestop kept saying 84 and my friend said they removed a Linkin Park song, so I'm far too confused) and two free songs. Or, you can go with RB2's 84 songs on-disc, and 23 free.
... O_O;; ... 107 songs?? Holy... *stunned* And, this is for Wii? Right...

$180 or $190 for the bundle, I can't remember if they did the $10 less for Wii thing with this. Standalone disc is $50, guitar is...wanna say $70...might be $80.
Hmm, though I'd only want to get just the standalone disc and the guitars, it seems cheaper to just go with the bundle, since:
RB2 disc: $50... +13% tax (for me anyway) = $55
RB2 Guitars: $70... +13% tax = $80
total $135 (which is quite fine with me)

*checks something out*

strange, it seems futureshop.ca and ebgames.com have some conflictions here...

futureshop.ca
ebgames.com
ebgames.com (alternate find)
talk about conflicting data...

However, it seems that EBGames has everything I need. Now I just gotta find the appropriate one.

But, it seems I'm leaning towards Rock Band 2 a lot more than I ever was. Of course, the price tag is a bit hefty... oh well, Christmas gift...

~C_L~

fhqwhgads

Yes. The disc amount is 84, but HMX surprised everyone at E3 by saying they have 20 songs they didn't have to time to put on the disc, so they'd just give them away for free when they were ready, and they have recently confirmed they would be downloadable at the Wii version's launch. I've downloaded them, and they're pretty fun. On top of that, you have a song by Stephen and the Colberts, the Portal credits, and a song from The Rocker.
But, it seems I'm leaning towards Rock Band 2 a lot more than I ever was. Of course, the price tag is a bit hefty... oh well, Christmas gift...

~C_L~
If you play a decent amount, convert it into dollars per hour, and you get a lot for your money.

Plus, go with Rock Band 2 equipment anyways. They don't force you to use a Wiimote for each instrument. Hell, you can't use one.

Cobalt_Latios

Yes. The disc amount is 84, but HMX surprised everyone at E3 by saying they have 20 songs they didn't have to time to put on the disc, so they'd just give them away for free when they were ready, and they have recently confirmed they would be downloadable at the Wii version's launch. I've downloaded them, and they're pretty fun. On top of that, you have a song by Stephen and the Colberts, the Portal credits, and a song from The Rocker.
That's it. It's confirmed; I'm asking for Rock Band 2 for Christmas. These are for the Wii version.

Plus, go with Rock Band 2 equipment anyways. They don't force you to use a Wiimote for each instrument. Hell, you can't use one.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll just have to wait till late November.

Damn, had I known the Portal Song was going to be downloadable on all platforms? (is it?) I would have considered this ages ago.

Yup, thanks to one song, I'm now getting RB2. Besides, Harmonix might consider the song editor into RB2 anyways (into a more "manageable" feature than GHWT). It would suit pretty well.

~C_L~

fhqwhgads

Yes, Harmonix has said they do plan to put in a Music Creator when they feel they can pull it off properly. That doesn't mean it'll be a patch, though, and that's good for you since RB2Wii won't be patchable.

Also, if you're a fan of The Beatles, HMX is making a Beatles career game that includes their entire discography(well, nearly) as masters. Picture GH: Aerosmith, except with more than 'venues that look like where they played'.
Damn, had I known the Portal Song was going to be downloadable on all platforms? (is it?) I would have considered this ages ago.
Yes, it's on every platform(sans PS2, which has no DLC). Also, if you care, the old DLC will be rapidly uploaded for Wii, so you'll have a lot to do. Rock Band as a platform(because that's what they designed it as, unlike Activision, who plans to have ten GH games in 2009, meaning the DLC for GHWT will be non-existent since they'll wanna push discs) will have at least 500 songs by the end of the year.

Last edited: