• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gun Laws- Positive or Negative?

Do you think Gun Laws are a positive thing?

• Yes

Votes: 108 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 40.0%

• Total voters

cantab

A negative view of government in general is something I've heard from some in the USA, and it's a view that I must confess seems somewhat alien to me. Americans and Brits are both regularly highly critical of specific government policies, but in Britain, people generally want the government to "do something"; a problem is perceived and the people expect the government to fix it.

Maybe it's something to do with the state system in the USA?

A negative view of government in general is something I've heard from some in the USA, and it's a view that I must confess seems somewhat alien to me. Americans and Brits are both regularly highly critical of specific government policies, but in Britain, people generally want the government to "do something"; a problem is perceived and the people expect the government to fix it.

Maybe it's something to do with the state system in the USA?
Here, the politically-inclined who espouse "anti-government" views are not anti-government at all; they are merely anti-[insert other party here].

I'm a market anarchist. There's no place for people like me anywhere.

legendarypokemonmaster

I think regulating guns is a postive thing, but outlawing all guns is implausible. Most people should be allowed to get a license, maybe after being screened or checked, and then buy a handgun for their own defense.
I think this pretty much says everything. If you take away guns, the innocent citizens will be defenseless against criminals, but if you don't regulate them, then crime will become even more rampant. There will never be a perfect policy on guns, but this is the best I can think of.

legendarypokemonmaster

Sorry I looked at it again and saw how badly I worded that. There wouldn't be much of a way to stop criminals from having guns.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Be prepared to take a lot of flak for this (accurate) statement.

FLAK ATTACK

Naw, I won't be mean. But what tends to happen is you take away guns, and they resort to knifes.
Knives, I'm pretty sure you can figure, are slightly easier to defend oneself against. And generally less lethal.

Before someone jumps up and say "WELL IF U BAN GUNS U MUST BAN KNIVES" bear in mind knives actually have a practical purpose that doesn't invole killing things. What else can you use a gun for besides causing harm?

As for "hunting" honestly, I don't see why people forget about bow and arrow. If I want to hunt a pig, I'd like to at least feel some spiritual connection with my ancestors by mimicing their actions than heartlessly gunning a creature down with the mechanical wonders of today. If I'm going to hunt, at least give the poor creature a chance.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New

But they're not designed for those purposes and there are much easier ways of doing them.

Also, that article nauseated me slightly. The person who wrote it shouldn't be allowed out in public if he thinks that guns are great for undoing stubborn knots and firing a gun in the air to punctuate a joke is a good idea (bullets do fall back down, oddly enough).

If anyone can give me a thorough, coherent and convincing argument as to why everyone (or at least the vast majority of people) should be allowed to own devices designed for making people and things dead, then I will personally give that person £1000 (or the equivalent in their currency)*.

*Not a valid promise

Last edited:

dragoniteKnight

Pose as a team
reminds me an episode of popeye where he shoots the hair that sticks up down...

1)its the safest way to ensure you and your family safety
2)banning them just takes them out of the hands of people that follow the law, ie, people who arnt starting killing sprees
3)we need them for hunting.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Also, that article nauseated me slightly. The person who wrote it shouldn't be allowed out in public if he thinks that guns are great for undoing stubborn knots and firing a gun in the air to punctuate a joke is a good idea (bullets do fall back down, oddly enough).
Oh God, please tell me you're kidding. Please.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I didn't vote because your question is to vague. Are gun laws a good thing...Yes. Are the persent gun laws working? No.

You own automatic weapons... in Florida I can kinda understand that, there is a lot of trafficing and gangs there. However, from a viewpoint of a marine infantryman and 4 time rifle expert, firing an automatic weapon is less than accurate and more prone to colateral damage. Yes I loved firing the M-16 in burst mode, but being able to put 7 of 10 rounds in a human sillouette at 1000 meters is alot more "fulfilling".

In my day to day life now I don't own any firearms. I don't by choice. I prefer swords. Every law abiding citizen deserves to be able to own a firearm. That doesn't mean that need military level firepower. We can protect our homes with a pistol/hunting rifle, as effectively as an assault rifle and we can do it with less damage to the futniture and interior of our home.:D

But thats just the opinion of a former 0311 Infantry Marine from Echo Co 2nd Bat/5th MarDiv. Ooh Rah.

littlea53

Prince of Darkness

Thanks for the ideas! No but seriously. Guns (if you have fired one) can relieve a lot of stress with a single blast. And not all guns are meant to kill. .22 rim-fire like my sons Stainless Steel Ruger 10-22 (I equipped it with a 5x Variable zoom) or my Model M&P15-22 are competition, practice, and joy shooters. Of course I hunt small game such as squirrels and turkey with my son but I use every part of the animal (Squirrel-skin hat anybody?). The SWAT team uses M&P15-22 to train their operatives for use with actual AR-15's. Plus a .22 has zero stopping power. You can be shot with it and not even feel it. So not all guns are meant to kill.

legendarypokemonmaster

Like paintball guns.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Thanks for the ideas! No but seriously. Guns (if you have fired one) can relieve a lot of stress with a single blast. And not all guns are meant to kill. .22 rim-fire like my sons Stainless Steel Ruger 10-22 (I equipped it with a 5x Variable zoom) or my Model M&P15-22 are competition, practice, and joy shooters. Of course I hunt small game such as squirrels and turkey with my son but I use every part of the animal (Squirrel-skin hat anybody?). The SWAT team uses M&P15-22 to train their operatives for use with actual AR-15's. Plus a .22 has zero stopping power. You can be shot with it and not even feel it. So not all guns are meant to kill.
I'm sorry what callibue is an M-16 again? When you say stopping power are you meaning Knock down power?

Cause a .22 to the head or heart or the knee cap is going to stop someone. AR 15s are mini me M16s and an M16 round can go in your shoulder and come out your leg.

Yes it uses more powder to perform that trick. A .22 in trained hands like yours or mine is not only deadly its leathal.

littlea53

Prince of Darkness
I didn't vote because your question is to vague. Are gun laws a good thing...Yes. Are the present gun laws working? No.

You own automatic weapons... in Florida I can kinda understand that, there is a lot of trafficking and gangs there. However, from a viewpoint of a marine infantryman and 4 time rifle expert, firing an automatic weapon is less than accurate and more prone to collateral damage. Yes I loved firing the M-16 in burst mode, but being able to put 7 of 10 rounds in a human silhouette at 1000 meters is a lot more "fulfilling".

In my day to day life now I don't own any firearms. I don't by choice. I prefer swords. Every law abiding citizen deserves to be able to own a firearm. That doesn't mean that need military level firepower. We can protect our homes with a pistol/hunting rifle, as effectively as an assault rifle and we can do it with less damage to the furniture and interior of our home.:D

But thats just the opinion of a former 0311 Infantry Marine from Echo Co 2nd Bat/5th MarDiv. Ooh Rah.
Note: Can a mod please merge this with my other post?
Semper Fi. I really should make it more clear. I don't know what goes on in Michigan, but I mean STRICT laws as in California or New Jersey.

legendarypokemonmaster

You can edit your post.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Oh... I don't know those laws. I have heard of statisics that prove Texas Gun laws appear to reduce crime, It make sense to me as I wonder what level of fool wants to try to rob someone that probably IS armed and will use it if provoked.

littlea53

Prince of Darkness
I'm sorry what callibue is an M-16 again? When you say stopping power are you meaning Knock down power?
------------------------
Oh... I don't know those laws. I have heard of statisics that prove Texas Gun laws appear to reduce crime, It make sense to me as I wonder what level of fool wants to try to rob someone that probably IS armed and will use it if provoked.

5.56 NATO. I thought you would of learned that in boot camp. I had to learn how to disassemble mine blindfolded. And when I say stopping power I mean how much it will "wall"(lack of better word) the target. Like a 12 gauge 00 buckshot has a ton of stopping power. It'll stop your target.

And I haven't been mugged/robbed by someone yet. I don't know if its because my Springfield XD .40 partly makes a bulge underneath my shirt, or its because I have the "rough-n-tough" look. EX navy LCDR FTW!

Last edited: