• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Guzma, Emperor of Destruction! (1058)

Ryu_181

One of the most funny episodes ever :D the rap beginning its awesome and the rap battle between team rocket vs skull gang funnier :D , cant wait for alola pokemon league it will be awesome if ash bring greninja and charizard to win the league

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I love how Ash is battling a Water/Bug type and goes for Iron Tail

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Grunt: "Where's Mr. Guzma?"
Plumeria: "He's making destruction plans in his room."

For some reason, that line made me laugh hard.

I liked that line a lot, to. It sounded like Plumeria actually knew that Guzma was sulking because Kukui insulted him, so she lied to the Grunts so that Guzma could maintain his "tough big brother" image. It's moments like that which really make Team Skull feel like a family of sorts. :)

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Y'know, after looking at the Shady House rap scene far more times than I'm sure is healthy, I came to like it a bit more after realizing something.

We don't see Grunts that aren't Tupp, Rapp, and Zipp often, but whenever we do, it's always the same ones. Each Grunt in this ep (not counting Taiiku's) has appeared before.

It's a nice way of highlighting the fact that these are just a bunch of loser punks and not some grand organization full of dozens of faceless members.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Interesting episode.

I expected Pikachu to use the Steel Z-Move. I figured it would use it before Meltan, especially after Pikachu sniffed out and picked the Steelium-Z directly after the last trial.

Not sure what to think about Rocket Gang not remembering the Skull Gang, but their particular interaction was good. Kukai's brief slip up when performing that stance he does with Incineroar as Royal Mask was also a comical.

Normally I'd complain about one of Pikachu's top moves being downplayed in a battle such as this, but the hard scale factor lessens my complaint regarding Iron Tail. Can't say the same for Thunderbolt, though. (I do find it hilarious though always seeing the cast through all generations flipping their s*** when Thunderbolt is shown to either be ineffective or is deflected. Peeps know it's real when Thunderbolt, Pikachu's strongest regular attack, doesn't work.) Anyways, Golisopod definitely had some similarities to Drapion during the battle, which is not inherently a bad thing... I enjoyed seeing Drapion's animations. Disregarding the narrative, Satoshi was too eager and quick to use the Z-Move, even for him. Going off the past, he'd usually panic after the third or fourth move doesn't work; seen it numerous times during instances when he vsed Diantha, Alder, Paul, etc. The match outcome with Guzma was a bit unexpected, at least for the one who threw the match. Rather than be Guzma, it was the actual Pokemon, with or without the "Emergency Exit" concept. Imagine entertaining that narrative when you consider how every other 1v1 fight would go with it it; complete battles, especially heated battles that can go either way, would be impractical every single time. Goodra's Dragon Tail didn't even cause a switch out in the battle with Clemont, one of the occasional instances where effects from the game do not carry over into the anime. (Next battle with it is definitely going to require it to be the last Pokemon standing in a party battle, or it would have to fall victim to an attack so strong it would get knocked out unexpectedly, since you can't really negate an ability like that with character development.) The switch out is also pretty unparalleled with Guzma's beat down style, so I feel a certain type of way because of that. And I truly wonder what really would have happened if that Z Move was an electric one instead. That Steel Z move looked very much like plot convenience for Guzma and plot inconvenience for Satoshi, especially giving Rotom told him the Pokemon's type prior to the battle.

Lastly, i'm seriously not in favor of anyone being able to join the league. Not only does this allow quite literally anyone to join the league but it also disrespects the hell out of the former tradition. It's a poor advancement. There'a also going to be a funny contradiction when they later reveal a trainer obviously needs more than a certain amount of Pokemon to be able compete and/or advance throughout later rounds (because obviously every battle will not have a 1v1 format), which by nature goes against "everyone can enter", or rather that's wrong because they can ideally enter initially. This also obviously devalues the Trials, outside gaining generic experience, which does not matter as there are a number of ways to create strong characters without making them go through a single trial (the entire Pokemon series as a whole has done it numerous times throughout their respective generation series for their customs), and gaining the advantageous Z-Crystals. Honestly, however like the point regarding experience, they can just have some people with mega evolution and legendaries rather than everyone with Z Rings and Crystals.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I laughed out loud when the rap included “Let’s get high!” I think it was the delivery of that line and the line itself that made it sound so comical. They’re good rappers and the rap battle between the TRio and Team Skull was alright. We all know Team Skull spits out fire once they release their album. :p

Yay! Guzma is here! I’m loving the tension and hidden relationship between Guzma and Kukui. Best thing is seeing his own Pokémon return itself, that really reminded me of Nanu when Lycanroc lost the first time. The battle was actually really good too! I felt every emotion thrown into it! I’m so happy Guzma’s a strong threat! Ash and Pikachu put up a good fight. I do want to see Guzma and Kukui battle but I also don’t want Ash to lose to Guzma at the League. We gotta see our anticipated father-son battle!!

JC317

With all the recent episode titles that are references to Pokemon Movies, I'm starting to wonder if the title of this episode is also a reference to the Japanese title of Pokemon M03. After all, Guzma's never referred to himself as the Emperor of Destruction in the games, right? In both English and Japanese, he calls himself destruction in human form.

Both titles are structured similarly and the only way to make the reference more obvious would be to spell out Guzma's name in English letters. If that's the case, then we have 4 SM episode titles so far that are callbacks to Pokemon Movies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I really liked the press conference that was held by Kukui-hakase to announce the Alola League and how so many recurring characters were shown attending it. The Rocket-dan losing to Guzma was expected, although I did chuckle when Kiteruguma took away their lifeless bodies. Guzma's Gusokumusha beating Pikachu was surprising to me however, because I didn't think that Guzma would be that strong.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I liked how the anime kept Guzma's quirks intact and he was much more powerful than I thought he'd be. Even though the battle between Golisopod and Pikachu wasn't technically a loss for Ash, it still felt good to see him on the verge of an actual defeat.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
I can't believe it took me this long to have realized Guzma actually made an anime appearance, and is a recurring character no less xD

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That's not how being Champion works, TRio.

Nearly outed yourself as Royal Mask there, huh, Kukui?

Lana is the first of the classmates besides Kiawe to volunteer. Not surprising given her personality and the fact she actually has been shown training multiple times.

How does a Team Skull member know what a 45-degree angle is?

What was that rap battle about? Or even for?

Kukui calling Guzma out like that.

MockingJ

Banned
Really liked how Guzma acted like a jerk here and wasn't toned down the way some other game characters are. His battle with Ash was kind of meh given the anti-climactic ending, but I really like how Ash now has another character who can ruffle his feathers.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Really liked how Guzma acted like a jerk here and wasn't toned down the way some other game characters are. His battle with Ash was kind of meh given the anti-climactic ending, but I really like how Ash now has another character who can ruffle his feathers.

Guzma's definitely the kind of character that I wish we had more of in SM since this saga has been pretty tame in terms of characters who are antagonistic. We have characters like Bourgain, but he's more of a joke compared to Guzma.