• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Guzma The Undefeated! (1080)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1080.jpg

Guzma The Undefeated!

The semi finals match between Ash & Guzma continues. With Golisopod's Emergency Exit resulting in the loss of Scizor, Guzma is angry and with Ash showing remarkable strength and strategy, Guzma sees Kukui in him which makes him even more agitated. Will Ash manage to get the win against Guzma, a trainer who is said to be undefeated?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Fire_Phoenix

As much as i enjoy the episode (and the preview look very promise), i can't say i'm not disappoint by the special announcement. Really, now we have to wait 29th to know what going on?

D

Deleted member 384931

Hopefully we will get new episodes.
It felt not satisfying in my opinion.
It was a good battle, but Pikachu didn't use it real strength, I felt like it.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I'm less hyped for the finals because it was very clear that Guzma was way stronger than Ash.

That Golisopod is Tobias-tier godlike. Pikachu lasted only about 10 seconds longer despite Golisopod being weakened from Torracat.

I can't recall Ash beating someone this far above him in power. It's crazy and unprecedented.

D

Deleted member 384931

I'm less hyped for the finals because it was very clear that Guzma was way stronger than Ash.

That Golisopod is Tobias-tier godlike. Pikachu lasted only about 10 seconds longer despite Golisopod being weakened from Torracat.

I can't recall Ash beating someone this far above him in power. It's crazy and unprecedented.
I felt there were more flashbacks than batteling here

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Oh, the battle was rather poor. Lots of zero gravity levitation sequences. But it was a fantastic episode for those very flashbacks and character moments.

Guzma standing his ground here was far more satisfying and cathartic than Mallow standing up to Lana. This, in spite of only a handful of episodes to establish who Guzma is, while Mallow appears in almost every episode for the past 3 years.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
This episode is the reason why I think Team Skull in general was very underused this series. Guzma is the type of character you'd like to know more in more episodes instead be there to be defeated and done.

I do like how he actually got back his resolution, though (no head beatdown). The z-move felt too unecessary, but it was a good character moment to golisopod. Points for no pep talk with Ash, just turn around and go. Guzma felt like the winner.

The kids chore was kinda uncalled, type: wild would be better.

p96822

Evolve me please
Really, the writers hates Ash's Torracat. Torracat can't get a win without needing help or it feeling cheep. If Torracat can't beat Golisopod then Incineroar well just beat him like the last time they fought. Golisopod has enough strenght to survive a Giga Volt Havoc and keep on going. I think Ash's Torracat is the least impressive fire type since Torkoal and I think Torkoal has been in and won more battle then Torracat did

Yappy

Only appears occasionally
The kids chore was kinda uncalled, type: wild would be better.
It was meant to be a emotional and touching moment for Guzma, hence why they played Notebook of the Heart during it.

Type: Wild only works when the sequence is supposed to be exciting, besides it's more fitting for when the focus is on Satoshi.

Last edited:

Sonnas

This episode is the reason why I think Team Skull in general was very underused this series. Guzma is the type of character you'd like to know more in more episodes instead be there to be defeated and done.
So they just threw out his entire backstory in this one episode and is now considered finished?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
After watching today's episode its safe to say guzma has to be the most underused character of entire series. His debut was after episode 100+ and still he has able to leave far more impact than any other character in such short time, he deserved many more episodes, i just hope today's episode is not the last time we saw him, his story is still unfinished with hala, kukui and probably with ash.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
So they just threw out his entire backstory in this one episode and is now considered finished?

There wasn't a lot to him. He was Hala's pupil and started running away from battles he couldn't win. He was especially bitter about the Bug-type Golisopod losing to Kukui's Flying-type Braviary. He wants to win with his favourites, you know?

But he was undeniably strong. He'd pretended he was unbeaten for so long he didn't realize how strong his Pokemon had become (a metaphor for Golisopod, who looks tough but is a coward at heart).

He tried to intimidate Ash and wanted to run from the battle when Ash wouldn't back down. But Golisopod standing firm convinced him to stand right by him.

This is superficially similar to what happened with Mallow, but from completely different perspectives.

DatsRight

Obviously more dialogue than action reliant, so hard to give full judgement without proper subs. Looks pretty impressive however if expectedly slow paced. The battle obviously takes a back seat for a lot of it (like last match most of the intense moments were in the first episode).

I agree that it's a shame that Team Skull were left rather underused this series. They stand out differently from most regional teams, being comical, sympathetic and even having former ties with the protagonists, compared to the generic shadowy sinister villains they reduced most previous teams to in the anime. They seem to make a point that Guzma actually cares about his team, they are after all the true guys that think he is a winner no question.

Golisopod was in flashbacks however, supposed this nulls out the theory that it was the Wimpod Ash saved earlier in the series.

We see Guzma putting things into perspective by himself, Ash doesn't directly give his motivational speech, only indirectly plays into his epiphany with his usual spunk. After seeing Golisopod willing to keep fighting for him, Guzma decides to go out a graceful loser, showing gratitude to his Pokemon, and earning the respect of his peers he ditched. I admit there was some lost potential with interactions between him and Ash, after all Ash has experience with losing the league, he's a guy that's used to taking defeats in stride, making him a blatant counterpart to Guzma whose defeats got the best of him.

After watching today's episode its safe to say guzma has to be the most underused character of entire series. His debut was after episode 100+ and still he has able to leave far more impact than any other character in such short time, he deserved many more episodes, i just hope today's episode is not the last time we saw him, his story is still unfinished with hala, kukui and probably with ash.

There's part of me that hopes the upcoming announcement is a tie in series akin to Chronicles to run alongside SS, since so many characters in SM feel under-utilised despite the potential they had and the series didn't really feel like it was in any rush to develop many of them.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm really upset with Ash's win over Guzma today. Given Guzma strong backstory with Kukui and the repeated references made to it throughout this episode, especially to his previous losses to Kukui, I always got the feeling it made more sense for Guzma to win here. One of the very few times in the Pokemon anime where I felt that Ash was kind of the undeserving winner and it made more sense for his opponent to win.

How doesn't it make much sense for Guzma to not win the League and battle Kukui afterwards, especially considering the whole backstory he had with Kukui and Hala?

For the sake of Ash vs Gladion happening in the League? Yeah, they could've gone the Gladion vs Ash and Kiawe vs Guzma route in the semifinals too for that sake and have Ash vs Guzma in the finals with Guzma winning.....and then afterwards facing Kukui for a "rematch$ where Kukui beating him and showing him the right way would make sense.

Now that Guzma has lost to Ash, the only way this now makes some sense is that:

Ash beats Gladion in the finals, wins the Alola League and facing Kukui afterwards, with Torracat vs Incineroar happening, where Torracat potentially evolves into Incineroar and the rivalry between Torracat and Incineroar is given a proper closure.

Gladion winning the League wouldn't make any sense considering he doesn't have any sort of backstory/rivalry with Kukui.

Last edited: