• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Guzma The Undefeated! (1080)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
not denying that Golisipod is indeed a strong pokemon, but it only took two pokemon to defeat it as apposed to the above mentioned three for darkrai
Well, it's a 2vs2 battle, like Ash was allowed to send his 3rd Pokemon. And the comparison to Tobias in term of stamina and power is irrelevant, especially since that Ash got resetted so many times.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
He said the thing! He said the thing! :V

It's also with this episode that I realize that, for all the contrasts people are drawing to the Kalos League, I find that both of these leagues are sharing a similar theme of "everything's happening around Ash." All the characterization and arc bits are coming from the other classmates and league competitors... much like the early rounds of the Kalos League were dedicated toward Alain and Sawyer and, even then, their matches with Ash had us going inside their heads more than Ash's. The exception to that is Ash's Rowlet, but I know how much of a hot button that is, so I won't say anything.
I guess it is gonna be kinda weird that this is the league Ash winds up winning. Ah well. XD
Actually we don't know he is winning the Pokemon league yet and we said same thing can be said for dp-bw-xyz arc

GhostWallker98

I loved the episode. One of the things I liked the most was all the symbolism as well as the music. Goliosopod wanting to keep going really made my day as well. I hope Guzma sticks around to see Ash in the finals or the possible Masked Royale rematch. I agree with the others that they could have used Guzma more, so I want him to appear for atleast one of those battles. Overall, this battle was better than most of them in the league with the exception of Gladion vs Kiawe. I am sorry, but that gets the top spot.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Golisopod didn't tank either of the Z-Moves its received from Pikachu

It straight-up negated them - zero damage, screw the game rules, Golisopod’s only real weak point is its soft underbelly

Torracat had to engulf it in flames via Fire Fang to get a reaction out of it

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Actually we don't know he is winning the Pokemon league yet and we said same thing can be said for dp-bw-xyz arc
Maybe we don't, but in light of all the foreshadowing, Melmetal confirmed, the announcement (about an announcement), how coy they've gotten with future episode titles, and that "guess the winner" contest I would be legitimately stunned if Ash doesn't win. There's an essay's worth of writing on the wall this time, if you ask me. Dismiss me if you want — I am rooting for Gladion — but victory looks like the most likely outcome.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Maybe we don't, but in light of all the foreshadowing, Melmetal confirmed, the announcement (about an announcement), how coy they've gotten with future episode titles, and that "guess the winner" contest I would be legitimately stunned if Ash doesn't win. There's an essay's worth of writing on the wall this time, if you ask me. Dismiss me if you want — I am rooting for Gladion — but victory looks like the most likely outcome.
No you had a point there and thank you for your insight

J. D. Guy

Definitely the best (and only) character driven episode of this League so far.

The bold is false. Statement's like this, seemingly innocuous ones that are made poor by callcous word choice, are really unfortunate.

While this episode was duly involved in its character-driven narrative and could be argued as being the most involved in its character story so far this league, it is incorrect to say that this episode is the only character-driven league episode to this point. While most of the prior episodes have needed to share the focus between their battle participants, there have been character driven narrative's among them. The most obvious one being Mallow VS Lana. It's surprising to see this said when Guzma's situation actually parallels and foils Mallow's.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Now that I've gotten sleep and the new Pokemon series news is out of my system, here's the part where I gush about a bunch of losers.

Back in ep 115, I noted how much I liked that the Skull Grunts were always the same people. While this isn't new; with the exception of Galactic and Skull (I think? It's been awhile since I've seen any Magma and Aqua stuff. Rocket's irrelevant since they'll never die), other teams had unique Grunt designs.

At the end of the day, they were just Grunts. Fodder to be Thunderbolted every so often. Skull's the same way, but they're treated like people. Flawed people. Their dynamic with Guzma? He's their hero, their idol. The undefeated badass who gave them a home when society rejected them. A family of losers.

I'm glad the writers didn't try to make Skull a legitimate criminal group. That's not their character, nor was it ever their character. It's good that Guzma was reduced to being just a thug. He's ruthless and a bit cruel, but at the end of the day, he's human and was given a very human ending. No being sent to jail. No getting sucked into a portal, never to be seen again. No getting murdered by a small child commanding a Gundam dragon. He has a chance of being redeemed.

I do just hope Skull makes one last appearance in the final episode. Maybe we get the appearance of Team Reskull?

As for Ash vs Guzma? Pretty dang good. Torracat did a good job. He may not have beat Golisopod, but he didn't go down like a chump.

Nice things I liked was Guzma picking Golisopod up before recalling it. It was completely uncessary (also how much does Golisopod weigh?), but it's always good to show you care, y'know?

I also liked the different usage of his catchphrase. Here, it's not Guzma beating himself down for failing, it's a "get a hold of yourself" moment.

Also Torracat refusing to share food with Lycanroc was cute.

Onto the finals!

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I kinda feel like "Your Adventure" should've played here instead of "Notebook of the Heart", the latter didn't feel that well until the last 10 seconds tbh. When I got up from bed I didn't expect to see an electric rat fighting a samurai isopod while listening to a choir of elementary school children

nuzamaki90

I’ve been holding off from this thread because I really don’t know how I feel about this episode. On one hand it’s undoubtedly the best episode of the League so far, but on the other hand it felt like Guzma’s entire character arc was dumped into one episode, while some battle action played in the background, constantly in slow motion.

The battle was okay, nothing about it really got me excited besides Golisopod holding out against the Z-Move again. I feel like the final sequence was ruined because of the insert song being the choir ending theme. I rewatched it with the new Type: Wild playing and obviously Type: Wild fit way better. It was a true clash of Ash and Guzma’s strongest Pokémon, both of them completely pumped and both Pokémon ready to rumble. If they use it on Ash VS Gladion I’ll be pissed lol

But yeah, a lot of the battling was slow motion shots, reactions, etc. This was 3/4 dialogue, which I don’t mind but it just makes you think about how much missed potential Team Skull really had. They’ve been around since the first episode and Guzma only showed up a few months back, completely absent again until the League began. Did we really need an entire arc at Malie City instead of more episodes for Hau and Guzma? Regardless, I’m really happy he said that which shall not be said by any other person. This was a good sendoff nonetheless. That’s our girl, Omode.

DatsRight

But yeah, a lot of the battling was slow motion shots, reactions, etc. This was 3/4 dialogue, which I don’t mind but it just makes you think about how much missed potential Team Skull really had. They’ve been around since the first episode and Guzma only showed up a few months back, completely absent again until the League began. Did we really need an entire arc at Malie City instead of more episodes for Hau and Guzma? Regardless, I’m really happy he said that which shall not be said by any other person. This was a good sendoff nonetheless. That’s our girl, Omode.

Malie City was only really two episodes and they were mostly devoted to giving lower deck Pokemon some limelight, given those guys needed exposure even more (eg. Ash battling with Meltan for the first time, Shaymin getting what is still its one character development episode). I definitely think the Team Skull leaders should have appeared earlier however (it's weird Plumeria remained unfought by the twerps despite her shtick of being protective of her punching bag disciples, it even happens in the games). There was a really bizarre amount of dawdling in Ultra Adventures considering how much has needed to be built up to in Ultra Legends, a lot of stuff really should have been put in the later half of that season.

Last edited:

Sonnas

Malie City was only really two episodes and they were mostly devoted to giving lower deck Pokemon like Meltan, Sandy and Shaymin some limelight, given those guys needed exposure even more. I definitely think the Team Skull leaders should have appeared earlier however (it's weird Plumeria remained unfought by the twerps despite her shtick of being protective of her punching bag disciples, it even happens in the games). There was a really bizarre amount of dawdling in Ultra Adventures considering how much has needed to be built up to in Ultra Legends, a lot of stuff really should have been put in the later half of that season.
I feel like they could've done some more stuff in Ultra Adventure but most of it was just them against the Ultra Beasts and others that's filler.

DatsRight

I feel like they could've done some more stuff in Ultra Adventure but most of it was just them against the Ultra Beasts and others that's filler.

I do think they could have ditched or moved around a few odd fillers at least to bring Sandy's capture and maybe the Poni arc earlier into the show. Maybe also had Plumeria appear at an earlier point and get a proper face off with the twerps or something. Skull grunts in season one, Plumeria in the second, and Guzma in the third might have been a reasonable build up, especially if Guzma had appeared earlier in the third at least.

Sonnas

I do think they could have ditched or moved around a few odd fillers at least to bring Sandy's capture and maybe the Poni arc earlier into the show. Maybe also had Plumeria appear at an earlier point and get a proper face off with the twerps or something. Skull grunts in season one, Plumeria in the second, and Guzma in the third might have been a reasonable build up, especially if Guzma had appeared earlier in the third at least.
And maybe have Lillie getting her Z Crystal later instead of earlier.

nuzamaki90

Malie City was only really two episodes and they were mostly devoted to giving lower deck Pokemon some limelight, given those guys needed exposure even more (eg. Ash battling with Meltan for the first time, Shaymin getting what is still its one character development episode). I definitely think the Team Skull leaders should have appeared earlier however (it's weird Plumeria remained unfought by the twerps despite her shtick of being protective of her punching bag disciples, it even happens in the games). There was a really bizarre amount of dawdling in Ultra Adventures considering how much has needed to be built up to in Ultra Legends, a lot of stuff really should have been put in the later half of that season.
It was only two episodes wasn’t it? I don’t know why it felt longer. Ultra Legends feels like a lot of time has passed but not a lot actually happened.

I’m really indecisive about this episode. I’m gonna just say I liked it for what it was, and glad Guzma’s sendoff was well handled because it was. Just like the games, no hyping up Ash or having a sudden change of heart. He took the L and just rolled with it, and he’s going to eventually come back stronger than ever. That’s our guy.

Xuxuba

So. Many. Flashbacks.

Nearly the entire episode was just flashbacks, Guzma making weird faces and Plumeria's unending monologues.

And from all the things they could have removed from his original backstory, they decided to remove Guzma's turbulent relationship with his father, even though it explains a lot why he is so aggressive all the time, making his overdramatic tantrums when losing to Kukui seem more silly and out of place. I know this is a kids show, but they could have been subtle about it.

Also, it is clear to me that they have been struggling to keep the episodes 20 minutes long ever since they reached the semi-finals. That is why they keep dragging the scenes for too long and making the dialogue so repetitive.

Well, at the very least nothing here was as unnecessary as Bewear's scenes from the last episode, but it still is one of the worst battles in the League so far. So much build up for nothing...

Last edited:

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that no one was aware that Golisopod retreating was due to its ability (Best chop it down to a character trait then since only PokeProblem Kukui from SM135 is aware).

That aside, I liked the nod to the Indigo League with Krabby being in the shot before seeing the Meltan swim up to the surface at the end. (Though I will admit that such a nod didn't occur to me when watching the episode)

I also liked the scene at the end with Pink, Blue and Curly (what I call the named grunts) disturbing Plumeria whilst she's getting her beauty sleep.

Edit: Can I mention how stupid the Poke problem is in this episode? We already know who the referee is since this is a continuation for the LAST battle. Like couldn't have been something you could only know by watching THIS episode. How many times has the Poke problem done this?
I'd like to say too many to count. A lot of instances I was able to figure out the answer by remembering that said answer was shown in the preview at the end of the previous episode, though does that count strictly speaking? There hasn't been a lot of instances in this series where the answer can only be figured out by watching that episode specifically. (One such example being the pancake race in SM013) Also don't get me started on the ones that spoiled events in the episode, like Sophocoles winning the Vikavolt race.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

I'd like to say too many to count. A lot of instances I was able to figure out the answer by remembering that said answer was shown in the preview at the end of the previous episode, though does that count strictly speaking?
Unless its something obvious, no, because the idea is no summary, no preview mention, but I guess if its staring in your face, sure.

There hasn't been a lot of instances in this series where the answer can only be figured out by watching that episode specifically. (One such example being the pancake race in SM013)

What I mean is some of the Poke problems have been (at least similar maybe not exact):
Where does the setting of this episode take place?
Who visits Ash at Kukui's house?
What happens to such and such.

And at least for the first example, that COULD easily be answered in the first few seconds "Our heroes journey to Ula'Ula island"

Oh, okay that was one of the options, well Poke problem solved.

But this one is especially weird because the answer was revealed the previous episode, so it creates a weird logic issue, where you are like "Wait, are they doing the finals in this episode, starting, anyway, is that why you are asking?" only to watch the episode and then you're like "Oh no it was what I thought to begin with, great, thank you, we already knew who it was."

I'm sure the Poke problems are most definitely for kids, but honestly I don't know why they chose one that make it seem like children have amnesia of the previous episode.

Just think maybe a more relevant question to the episode rather than connected directly from the previous episode, is what the Poke problems should be about. But whatever just found it strange, they asked a question you already know from watching the previous episode.