1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Guzzlord Attacks! The Decisive Z-Move Battle!! (1083)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Legends' started by Serebii, Sep 22, 2019.

1. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

Hey person, maybe not insult people based on their opinions? Maybe, I don’t know, express your own opinion about the episode and continue discussion if someone agrees or disagrees with you? You know, because this is the “Episode Discussion” part of the forum?

RLC, Sham, JC317 and 8 others like this.
  2. Shotgunrain

Shotgunrain Well-Known Member

I think it’s ridiculous that 3 Guzzlords and a Naganadel just appear at the same location (Manalo Stadium) and on the same day. What are the odds? It’s like how previously almost all the Ultra Beasts only appeared at Melemele Island.

3. wellwellwells

wellwellwells Well-Known Member

Me to this mess of a series:

[​IMG]

RLC, SH65, AuraChannelerChris and 3 others like this.
  4. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Maybe it's tied to the population? Melemele Island is the most populous island in Alola, and Manalo Stadium was packed with people for 7 days.

In Dia's flashback, he mentions that overdevelopment poisoned the land. New development = more people.

Sounds a bit like Gurren-Lagann honestly.

Genaller likes this.
  5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Wing ZERO

At least Lucario jobs. I hope it also jobs during the exhibition match as well.

6. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

This wasn't....bad. I liked we got some sort of vindication arc for all the guys that got eliminated quick into the league, but I agree this should have been spread across multiple episodes to make it feel more fluid and less random. The whole league arc truthfully needed longer. The over use of stock footage didn't really help the matter. This was clearly a Team Flare-alike filler so everyone got a final hurrah. Naganadel's return felt kinda abrupt too.

Loved TR killing the moment and getting swatted away, and the twerps 'well that was.....something' type reaction. Bewear puts up a good fight but gets overpowered for the first time, letting TR rescue sampai. Shame their involvement ends there.

Guzzlord 1: The Kahunas and the Tapus teaming up was a cool idea that nodded to the games. Also this is one of few times I've seen a Persian part of a heroic team up.

Guzzlord 2: Lillie gets to rescue onii-sama for once, everyone uses their Z Move. Basic but works.

Guzzlord 3: Masked Royal uses Lucario, guess we have three Pokemon listed for his battle next week. Naganadel appears when Ultra worm hole disappears (one thing though Naganadel, doesn't that leave you world in a lot of trouble again when you stick a Guzzlord in there?). Masked Royal apparently has Electrium Z. This interests me since it suggests one of his Pokemon is an Electric type (or at least knows Electric moves). Also reveals trainers can use Z Moves with wild Pokemon.

Kukui is exposed. Hope Ash can keep a secret. Naganadel also still has its Poipole personality which is fun.

I admit to kind of liking this one in a guilty pleasure sort of way since everyone felt like they got to contribute to some degree (besides poor Delia and Prof Oak). Also Naganadel's intervention was kind of DEM-ish but it didn't feel overblown like some other big Pokemon interventions like Zygarde, who easily rendered everyone's work obsolete in five seconds, there was still a team up involved to the very end.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Ash and Gladion have used Z-Moves with Solgaleo and Lunala previously. Legendaries just seem to have an easier time with it than normal Pokemon.

As for the Electric-type observation, if Kukui had one, why wouldn't he have called out that Pokemon to use against Guzzlord? The third Guzzlord battle is sort of a homage to the original one Ash fought with Dia, with Lucario using Close Combat and ending with a double Gigavolt Havoc.

To me, Naganadel's Z-Move use there was so it "earned" a spot to battle in the exhibition, since it didn't get a chance to compete in the league.

8. TheScentedApple

TheScentedApple Well-Known Member

Did they update the ending to include Naganadel?? And honestly, why on earth was Guardian of Alola not used, biggest missed opportunity I've ever seen

9. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

I assumed that Kukui was hoping to take out Guzzlord with Lucario because of type effectiveness. The double Gigavolt Havoc felt more like a spur of the moment/last resort after finding out Naganadel knew Thunderbolt

Lord Godwin likes this.
  10. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

this should've been a two parter, cause it definitely felt rushed.

There were some good things though.

Guzzlord for all intents is still a threatening pokemon, being ganged up on doesn't detract your threat factor, and even then none were defeated, just repelled.

It took four Kahuna's and the Tapu's to send the first one away
    It took Hau, Gladion and Ash's Classmates to get the second one
    finally Kakui and Ash got the third.

not to mention everyone was firing off Z-moves like crazy, Dia couldn't exactly do that in his dimension.(due to tapu koko disappearing and their not being "energy" to use Z-moves at all, I don't remember the specifics)

Thought it was heartwarming that TR actually showed they do care for Bewear by helping her and her child escape, (though it was also funny watching Guzzlord throw their mech around like trash)

Also found it funny that Naganadel learned thunderbolt, that was awesome.

And Kakui's cover gets blown right at the end, too bad their being watched on camera, I wish we could've seen Burnet's reaction, but I guess we'll get that next week.

11. DatsRight

I liked it was at least an upgrade from the pretty lame Ultra Mother Beast battle in that all Guzzlords made at least some attempts to attack and not just stand there towering menacingly. A few of the Pokemon on the heroes' side even took a beating this time.

One nitpick however is that we didn't see much of Guzzlord's quirk from any of them, namely eating. It starting to consume Alola would have made it look more distinctive as a threat.

I've seen someone on Youtube compare Guzzlord's yell to the stock pain scream from Tom and Jerry. I cannot unhear that now. :p

UnovaMaster, mehmeh1 and Mr.Munchlax like this.
  12. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

My guess is that partly because they wanted the stadium intact so they don’t have to make new backgrounds for Ash’s battle with Kukui, while the in-universe excuse is because Guzzlord was too distracted fighting everyone to eat.

13. Ignition

Ignition Incineroar wins yet again (proud of my son)

Another one of those “ok I guess?” episodes but not as bad some of the others.

I loved how there was a lot of speculation about TRio’s mech being the savior just for them to be a short nuisance. Bewear coming in ready to kick ass was a nice callback to Pheromosa.

I find 3 Guzzlord to be overdoing it. Like I understand the reasoning for splitting it up as Kahunas/Tapus (and temporarily TRio), the classmates and Ash’s rivals, & Ash/MR but still felt like overkill.

I swear they can’t make Guzzlord any less terrifying. Original one was a little due to the setting and the way it lurked in the background but the Shiny ones screeching just reminds me of Jack-o’-lanterns.

Tapus finally show up. Idk what they were doing but at least they did something.

I understand the whole point was to attack Guzzlord at once as the Kahunas got it right but seeing Guzzlord practically sit there just to watch 7 Z Moves charge was funny.

Everyone: fully evolved Pokèmon
    Lillie: I’m still kicking butt

TRio just said “eh, not my problem”. The scene with Bewear getting hit was so forced. She can match Pheromosa in speed but not grab Stufful and dodge the slow Guzzlord (who winded up the punch)? Yeah ok

Nagandel returning was nice but felt so weird. Its voice was not what I was expecting. Today’s episode is just funny Legendary voices

I like the attention to detail with Nagandel having Thunderbolt. And as cool as the dual Gigavolt Havoc was the second time I think it would’ve been cooler if Incineroar used it (bias? Probably.)

I love how both Ash and Kukui are surprised with the sudden reveal of the latter’s double life.

@DatsRight Ash keeping a secret won’t matter since Kukui is battling Ash not Masked Royale

Overall an ok episode. 7/10

Lightning Bolt and mehmeh1 like this.
  14. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

Honestly this episode was better than any of the league battles

We actually had everyone using their z moves and they were all nicely animated too.

Nice touch with the tapus coming to help out also.

But why does neganadel sound so horrible lmao. So weird

15. DatsRight

I....kinda like Naganadel's voice. The guy was a goofball as a Poipole (and still shows signs of it now) so it kind of fits.

16. lolipiece

lolipiece Ya did good, Twerp. Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, I get the impression that this is mainly meant to be a breather ep (as much as a breather fighting three giant mouth dragons can be, I mean) in-between the Longest League Ever and the final battle between Ash and Kukui-who-was-dressed-as-the-Masked-Royal-for-some-weird-reason. This was never meant to be the actual "finale".

A "last hurrah" of sorts since I doubt like half of these characters are going to be relevant after the next two eps are over. Mohn and the ending is next, after all.

The most important bits are Gladion blushing when Kiawe and Hau refused to let him fight Guzzlord alone because he's their friend.

Naganadel's voice...is certainly a voice, I'll give it that. But more importantly, Naganadel knows Thunderbolt! The very move that attracted it to Pikachu and Ash to begin with. The symbol of its love for its Alolan family. That's so nice! It's gonna be weird hearing Ash commanding someone other than Pikachu to use that move, even if it's only temporary.

Kukui having an Electrium Z isn't out of left field. It was already established he has at least two Z-Crystals, so of course he has more in reserve.

Last thing, but I hope voicing these Guzzlord didn't strain the voice actors' throats. All that screaming has got to be murder on the vocal chords.

17. DatsRight

I just noticed they sort of forgot about Acerola, Ilima and Samson Oak though. Also a shame Team Skull didn't get an enemy mine.

18. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

Kinda lame and rushed that this was only 1 episode, it felt pretty filler-like, and it didn't feel like the final UB mission for some reason, pretty anticlimactic. Next week looks great though

19. Hanto

Hanto Water Addiction

One of the most boring and anticlimatic hyped episodes of the anime ever. Naganadel evolved off-screen and went back is very cheap, Team Rocket scenes are notoriosly bad, boring and meaningless. No Guardian of Alola also counts.
    2/10

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    CMButch and mehmeh1 like this.
  20. wellwellwells

wellwellwells Well-Known Member

I thought of this too. It was like in the team flare arc where Serena’s Braixen was fighting side to side with M-Metagross and M-Garchomp lol

Zoruagible and Ignition like this.