• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC- Week #1 "Third time's the charm"!

-Raiga-

ANY person can enter!
ANY website can participate!
ANY thing can happen! Its the...

Welcome everyone to the reboot of the ever popular Weekly Spriting Contest! So...what does the "G" stand for you may ask? Gucchi? Gastrodon? Gamefreak? Well, needless to say you'll find out in due time :)

Without further ado, lets reveal this weeks challenge!

Medium: Recolor
Sprite source: Any official B/W sprite. http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html

Challenge: "The third time's the charm"

To celebrate this being the WSC's third major reboot, you will take any pokemon you feel doesn't have the best color setup in neither its original color scheme nor its shiny color scheme, and form your own idea of how YOU think it should have been colored.

Restrictions-
-Its a straight up recolor, so a limit of 4 colors + shades +black and white.
-No patterns, glow, or anything else extra.
-Tip- Be mindful of the pokemon's type, that won't be changing!

Post your entry here in the thread by 11:59p.m. Sunday, and voting will occur the following Monday! Good luck and I hope to see many entries. Ask if there are any questions:)

extremegunner

Hyper Coordinator
PRIsVAx.png

Mine. Just thought cool blue fits a Weavile.

I seriously hope people join in.

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
In the interest of encouraging more entrants, here's some helpful advice.

Beginner's tips:
  1. You do not need fancy software to make a sprite, especially not for a recolour. MS Paint is all you'll need. If you do want fancy software anyway, GIMP is free.
  2. Beware, if you copy a sprite with a transparent background into mspaint, you may lose your black outline. If this happens, use print screen instead.
  3. If you can't pick a pokemon to recolour, use a sprite generator, such as this one.
  4. If you want to make the background transparent, use iaza.com
  5. To replace colours on ms paint, have the old colour as colour one, the new colour as colour 2 and then use the eraser tool but with the right mouse button.
  6. Do not use the default colours on ms paint, they're ugly.
  7. Try to keep as many shades as there were in the original sprite; replacing two shades with only one looks unprofessional. Remember to recolour the highlights on the outlines as well!
  8. Unless otherwise stated, the limits for a typical 5th gen pokemon sprite are 96 by 96 pixels and 15 colours (plus one for the background/transparency).
  9. Save as .png or .gif
  10. Under no circumstances ever save a sprite as .jpeg

Pro tips:
  1. Using colours on the opposite side of the colour wheel (green/red, orange/blue, purple/yellow) will make your sprite stand out.
  2. As you change shade, hue should change slightly as well, with highlights tending towards yellow and shadows tending towards blue. Don't overdo it though.
  3. Here are two tutorials for choosing a pallet:
    Pixel Art Tutorial: Colors, Thinking in Color.
  4. Many tutorials will tell you to use blue instead of black as your outline colour. Pokemon is cartoony, so you can ignore that.

Edit: OK, my entry:

When I think of thunder storms I think of ominous purple and grey clouds and bright flashes of blue and yellow arcing across the sky.

Yet Thundurus is the colour of fluffy clouds and a sunny sky. What are we supposed to think? Is it the terrible god of gentle summer breezes?

So I fixed it.
ThunderusStorm2_zps4befe552.png

Last edited:

tomthepom

Thought I would give Genesect that "Plasma" look by changing him to suit the Team Plasma emblem.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!

Burakoru

Belly Slide
iaza13640153082000.gif

There's always been ONE pokemon that had a coloration that stuck out to me.

Dragonite; We go from the Blue Dratini and Dragonair, to an Orange Barney. So I decided I'd fix that up for my entry.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
That's a good point. Do you reckon I can change it before judging starts?

Well it doesn't say in the rules for the new one, but historically you could change it if it wasn't valid, however you had to ask to change a valid entry.

Regardless I imagine -Raiga- will be back on tonight, so you'll be able to check with him.

tomthepom

I'm not the judge, but I suspect those two entries fall afoul of the no patterns rule.

Does that really count as a pattern? I've simply changed the colours of Genesect as the criteria asked. As for the Kingdra sprite, all I can see wrong with it is the snout.

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Does that really count as a pattern? I've simply changed the colours of Genesect as the criteria asked. As for the Kingdra sprite, all I can see wrong with it is the snout.

What I'm assuming it means is you have a palette swap, so every pixel that one colour has to remain all one colour. Otherwise a pattern is fairly hard to define objectively.

tomthepom

What I'm assuming it means is you have a palette swap, so every pixel that one colour has to remain all one colour. Otherwise a pattern is fairly hard to define objectively.

By pattern I would be expecting something along the lines of this:
mew_rainbow.gif

Also if the contest did want a pallette swap it should state that amongst the rules.

Thought I would give Genesect that "Plasma" look by changing him to suit the Team Plasma emblem.

I'm not going to get into whether this fits the rules or not, but I really like it, it looks much better than the original one (and I really like the original Genesect).

I always thought that Haunter's sprite from the original Red/Green was one of the best sprites in the series, but they completely changed the tone of the Pokemon in the later games, so I recoloured the Black/White Haunter to look more like it. I think I could have made it quite a bit better if it wasn't for the pattern rule, but I'm fairly happy with it anyway. It looks better the darker the backround, but pretty rubbish if the backround is light, so it probably wouldn't actually work as a sprite in game.

GreenHaunter_zpsc6652814.png

EDIT: I know it's early days (or in fact earliest day), but this is really going rather well so far isn't it!

Last edited:

Recon

iaza13640153082000.gif

There's always been ONE pokemon that had a coloration that stuck out to me.

Dragonite; We go from the Blue Dratini and Dragonair, to an Orange Barney. So I decided I'd fix that up for my entry.

That looks eerily similar to sprite I made and put on my Facebook...

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
By pattern I would be expecting something along the lines of this:
mew_rainbow.gif

Also if the contest did want a pallette swap it should state that amongst the rules.

As I said, without it the definition for pattern becomes subjective. The only difference between that sprite's and your sprite's 'pattern' is that your colour changes are separated by existing outlines.

SlightlyWinged

Training for ORAS
To me recoloring barely counts as spriting. But, I guess everyone has to start somewhere. My entry:

http://i43.*******.com/msf2x3.jpg

Now, I love Druddigons design plenty. But it's colors? They get a "meh" from me. So I decided to change it up a little.

-Raiga-

Phew, its been a long day at work but the amount of entries here made up for it! Sorry for being absent, I'll now answer any questions.

On the subject of Patterns-Ooohhh I knew this was going to happen. Anyways, to try and keep a couple people from redoing theirs, but to keep things fair, I'll say TomthePom has the right idea. As long as something is a PART(aka usually a outlined object in the sprite) of the sprite, its okay. However the mew example he showed, which actually changed the distribution of colors, will be wrong. I do this soley because of the purpose of the theme, like that you thought maybe the parts that got a certain color was wrong. Because of this, if anyone wants to change a thing or two on their entry, knock yourself out.

So Ashman83, you will have to change kingdra's head, as it is only one whole part.

On the subject of changing your entry-Actually, feel free to change it as much as you want until the end of the week. I see no reason to stop anyone from wanting to better their entry. Do try and delete your old entry post and make a new one though, otherwise how am to know it was updated and within the rules?

Sorry to say ozymandias, but the glow around the body(not the hands) is illegal via the rule against glows I mentioned in the first post. It adds something that isn't there.

So you entry is not entered right now, but feel free to edit or change your entry if you have the time:) And don't worry, glows like the one you've done won't be illegal for too many contests, just simpler ones like these to keep things fair.

To me recoloring barely counts as spriting. But, I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

You have to understand, the goal of rebooting the contest was to attract new people to spriting....Nothing says "get lost" to people like that than a challenge of make a 250x700 fully scratch sprite banner for the contest haha. Baby steps man, baby steps :)

Anyways, thanks to all who have entered so far, and please keep entering people who are thinking of doing so, there is PLENTY of time left.

Edit:And thank you WPS for your tips and tricks, stuff I would have posted if I wasn't so lazy haha.

Last edited:

Recon

Say hi to the Kecleon brother! You know, the one that should have been the shiny coloring?

purplekecleon.png