• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC- Week #156 "Going out with a BANG!"

noobiess

6 different pokemon
ANY person can enter!
ANY website can participate!
ANY thing can happen! It's the...

0TmimiT.gif

The archaeological dig resulted in one masterpiece: an ancient Swoobat's skeleton found by ,Ex! Congrats

With a bit of sadness in my heart, I want to announce that this will be the last GWSC that I will be hosting.
First of all I want to say that you all have been amazing, and your sprites always have put a smile on my face.
But lately I'm feeling more and more that it is time for me to go. Not only because it is getting harder to combine with the rest of my life but also
because the GWSC kind of lost the spirit and concept that it started with.
For me the GWSC is, or at least was, a place to introduce people to (digital) art in a fun way and could serve as stepping stone to make starting artist excited about making amazing art.
For me personally, I started with making art because of the WSC and it learned me the basic aspects of shading, designing,... .
But nowadays, I feel like there just aren't much new artists. The people that join are mostly 'regulars',
and I feel that the GWSC is doing more bad then good by holding them back from exploring new (digital) art forms that challenge them in new ways.
So considering this, I decided to stop with the GWSC. But don't worry, you will probably see me around doing some other small projects.
As for the GWSC, this doens't necessarily mean the end. I will be glad to pass the torch to somebody else (and give some pointers if wanted),
but none of you should be pressured to do so. Same goes for starting another new spriting-related contest to keep the activity going.

Anyway enough talk.
If this is the last GWSC, make sure we go out with a bang! Make these the best entries ever!

Medium: Fusion
Sprite source: 5/6th gen sprites (click banner)
Challenge: "Going out with a bang!"

For the last GWSC (hosted by me), I wanted to make the theme as classic GWSC-style as possible.
So the challenge this week is to take two or more pokémon and fuse them together. All pokémon included should be able to learn the move selfdestruct or explosion.

Feel free to ask questions if something isn't clear.
Try to be so original as possible ^^ Good luck!

Restrictions/TroubleShooting
- Maximum size: 96*96
- White outlining is allowed! Go crazy I would say!

Post your entry here in the thread by Sunday 20:59p.m (GMT+1).
Thanks to everyone who has entered the contest, and will enter this one.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
I see...
I've seen the end of many sprite related communities and projects. It's still totally impossible for me to get used to it.
I know how you're feeling right now, I once used to be the host of a large spriting project too; the predecessor was getting too busy and gave me the task to keep it running it all by myself (spriting was already going downhill at that time tbh) and I was able to keep it, struggling, for around 3-4 years. After some time it ended: the social network it was on closed down (didn't matter much tho).

I feel kinda sad to see the GWSC facing almost the same situation. I know the GWSC still has hope into it, and that someone will take it over; but still, I do wish people were a lil' less casual. Yeah, I know they grow up, get busy, etc. but that's how I feel.
Pokémon spriting is a wonderful and infinite art, I'll always keep doin' it. Don't let it die, folks.

Anyway, to help you guys with this week challenge, a list with the pokés you can use:
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/moves/explosion/
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/moves/self-destruct/

AmericanPi

Write on
Aww, it's sad to see the GWSC go. Some weeks were funner than others for me, but overall I'm glad that participating in the GWSC helped me develop some art skills. Even though I'm not as into spriting as I used to be, spriting in general is a nice skill to have. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun from the GWSC, and noobiess, you were a great host. Thank you very much for everything.

I've been toying with an idea in my mind for a while now: a Weekly Art Contest, or WAC. The Fan Art section of SPPf has been really quiet for a few years now, and I think a weekly contest for general artistic projects can be a nice way to revive the section. The contests can have rotating art types: Drawing, then banner, then sprite, etc. Also, the themes can be anything, allowing for a lot of creativity. I think a weekly contest for all kinds of art, not just sprites, would be an interesting thing we can try to revive the Fan Art subforum.

To be honest, I really want to take a stab at hosting the WAC, if it becomes a thing. My life isn't exactly stable right now, but an extra commitment might give me the push I need to get more things done. (I'm on a break from writing anyways, because all my writing-related commitments were self-imposed and therefore I decided to just take a break.)

By the way, I could never figure out what the "G" in "GWSC" stands for. Can someone please tell me, because this is the last week? ^^

ZKE

It'll be a pity to see you go, noobiess. Thank you for all the time you put into keeping this going. You always put out good sprites when you entered too. Unfortunately I'm at a point of my spriting that I can't justify fusing when I have the means to scratch, so I'm out for this week too.

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
Well this was an unexpected turn of events. Thank you for hosting GWSC till the current end, noobiess (and filled-in hosts). One of the original reasons I started spriting was because I had some ideas about different colours for pokemon sprites, like if it suited or I just wanted it to be the colour from another game as inspiration. I didn't go to many places to do so, because I remembered serebii had a forum and one of my friends at the time from another forum technically moved here, so I decided to sign up. I knew there was a sub-forum here for art, but I didn't think there would be one for pokemon sprites and I'm glad I joined at that time, because I might be less into spriting if I didn't. At the time, this was when bert was starting to go inactive, and the sprites he did were breathtaking. I was astonished at what people could do, more than just recolours. It fired up my spirit and added it to the pile that is my "passions but not life job" dreams. So I did some sprites and made a thread, but from someone who had little to no experience in sprites, it was pretty much all recolours. the first fusion I did was pretty much electrode with cloyster's "spears", which I later found was a horrible matchup, but I just thought it'd be cool :p And it was then I started to look into the GWSC. It was pretty cool how spriters of various skill can all gather and show their skills, as well as help people improve which is why I entered, as with other new people. It was also through gwsc that I get to meet all these cool people :p

Sorry it ended up just being more about how I got into spriting instead of talking more about gwsc, but it has helped me alot in spriting at the time just cause I had the inspiration and the motivation to do so. So once again, thank you noobiess for being the pillar that supported the spriting section as well as gwsc for the past year or two while trying to keep it fresh for regulars and new faces at the time to enjoy.

I need a bit more effort to put into this if I can finish before the week :p

Edit: progress being made.. I'm making a four-pokemon fusion, just cause it's such a big event.

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
gwsc%20final%20week%20exploding%20fusion%20final_zpsxorizlvc.png

A backsprite fusion of Volcanion, Solrock, and Lunatone, all three of which can learn Explosion.

I knew I had to participate in the final GWSC hosted by noobiess, and make my entry a really good one. I went with backsprites instead of standard front sprites, because the GWSC in its current format is "going away". And the Pokemon I decided to fuse together are significant too - the GWSC is ending at the eve of Generation 6 of Pokemon and the dawn of Generation 7, so the Pokemon I chose reflects that. Volcanion represents the end of Generation 6, because it is one of the last Pokemon released in the sixth generation of Pokemon. Solrock and Lunatone represent the beginning of Generation 7 and the upcoming games, Sun and Moon.

Volcanion backsprite credit to Quanyails on deviantART.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Thank you for all the nice comments!

American--Pi, I certainly recommend trying to start up something like that. For me personally, I also learned some nice things by hosting the GWSC.
If I may give some advice: I would make it every two weeks (in stead of weekly). If the themes of the GWSC got too complicated/time-comsuming not a lot people entered. Certainly if you want to use artstyles that require more time to make one piece (for example drawing) and switch the art style every time, I would give people more time to get their entry done.

About the name of the GWSC... I'm actually not sure either XD In the beginning is was just named the WSC or weekly spriting contest. After a revival done by -Raiga-, he renamed it the GWSC but never explained what the G stands for. I like to think that it stands for 'Grand'.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
About the name of the GWSC... I'm actually not sure either XD In the beginning is was just named the WSC or weekly spriting contest. After a revival done by -Raiga-, he renamed it the GWSC but never explained what the G stands for. I like to think that it stands for 'Grand'.

I've always read it as "Great" tho

WSC156riptrans.png

Made one with Muk, Garbodor and Gengar. Mono Poison yay.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Oh, no... D: I can't believe this is coming to an end. And I also gotta apologize for my lack of participation in this as of late, too, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna miss this week. I can't. It's the last one. I'm gonna piece together what I hope is my best sprite yet.

I really hope someone else decides to pick up where this leaves off. I'd love to see this competition live on. I've always loved competing in this.

Bert

Untitled
Best of luck to you noobiess, and thanks for all you've done!

Here is my final GWSC entry, a fusion between Onix, Glalie and Magcargo (a nod to my very first GWSC entry in week #80).
I made it in a rush, and I think I could've done better with more time. Ah well, couldn't afford to miss this one.
WSC156_zpsj06x4zzx.png

See you guys around, everyone. I'll miss this.

the first fusion I did was pretty much electrode with cloyster's "spears", which I later found was a horrible matchup, but I just thought it'd be cool :p

Hah, I remember that one! :D You've come a long way since.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I knew from the start no entry would do justice to this GWSC but I took a shot at it anyway:
LastGWSC2_zpskpgexilz.png

Threw a lot of pokemon together: Metang-Mega Metagross-Steelix-Mega Steelix-Glalie-Nosepass(flipped to make the body)-Mewtwo-Genosect

I have no clue how these tiny legs could support that body, but there Genosect's legs were really the best I could use ^^

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
Done! I added Regice and some more Magcargo to the mix, and I'm a lot happier about my entry now. Thanks for waiting. :)

WSC156_zps2mx4m8jl.png

e: since the poll still isn't up, I made some more changes.

Last edited: