• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC- Week 156 Poll

noobiess

6 different pokemon
ANYONE CAN VOTE
This week's challenge was fuse pokémon that know the move self-destruct or exlosion!

Everyone has 1 vote to use!
The votes will be tallied on Sunday and the winner will be announced in this poll next week.
Thank you for these 3 amazing years of the GWSC!
Make the last one count and may the best one win!

American--Pi - Volcanion, Solrock & Lunatone
gwsc%20final%20week%20exploding%20fusion%20final_zpsxorizlvc.png

Bert - Onix, Macargo, Glalie, Regice
WSC156_zps2mx4m8jl.png

,Ex - Gengar, Muk & Garbordor
WSC156riptrans.png

Miss.Alexis - Munchlax & Voltorb
voltlax.png

Missigno.master - Seedot, Mewtwo, Ferrothorn, Weezing, Camerupt & Qwilfish
bRaR1hb.png

noobiess - Metang, Mega Metagross, Steelix, Mega Steelix, Glalie, Nosepass, Mewtwo & Genosect
LastGWSC2_zpskpgexilz.png

Ryger Vandell - Forretress, Golem, Gigalith & Metang
vcRbPQI.png

Happy voting!
puzzles2_zpsf72cbd43.png

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Voting for ,Ex, this sprite caught my eye since it made me smile. It just makes me think of a Muk who decided that it wanted to be a superhero so it found a bit of a trash bag for a mask XD

Bert

Untitled
American--Pi: I'm actually really fond of this one, the concept is quite clear and everything flows together nicely. While it's cool to see a backsprite fusion, the downside is that you have a lot less features to play with. No eyes, mouth, … makes it harder to stand out creatively. Technically flawless though.

,Ex: Why are you so good at shading? ;_; Really nice work as always, the only other thing I can say is that it took me a while to spot Garbodor in there. Not so sure about the purple eyes, too, but that's nitpicking.

Miss.Alexis: A little bit… bland, I suppose? It looks very last-minute-ish, but there's nothing really wrong with it either.

Missingno.master: Very bizarre sprite, if I may say so. :p I guess that's kinda your signature style. I really like the colors here, but on the other hand some of the parts could have been a little more 'integrated'. The contrast between the Camerupt and Seedot parts, particularly, is a bit too much imo.

noobiess: Amazing work on the head, I love how you edited Glalie's features to make them fit Metang's design better. The body is a nice piece of craftsmanship as well. I'm not a big fan of the tail, though. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the sprite imo.

Ryger Vandell: Cool design and great choice of colors! I'm not sure if I can identify the Golem parts (except the general body shape, maybe), and the outline on the claws and feet is a little bit sloppy, but yeah I'm a big fan of this one overall.

Voting for noobiess. I think he found the right balance between thinking out of the box and not taking things too far.
Ryger Vandell and ,Ex tied for second.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm going to vote for Bert. Of all the sprites, his appears the most natural to me, while also being highly creative.

I truly am sorry I couldn't enter this week. I wanted to but I was much too busy. It's a shame this is all coming to an end once I was coming into the fold. Sorry to see you go noobiess.

If I may make a suggestion, if people want the GWSC to continue, but no one wants to step up and take control, there's a weekly contest I enter on some other forums, and each week's contest is hosted by the previous weeks winner. That would make hosting the GWSC much less of a commitment, as you only need to come up with an idea for a contest and make the thread for one week (unless you win again), no one has to worry about doing it week after week after week.

AmericanPi

Write on
Voting for noobiess. The sprite looks really unique and beautiful, and everything comes together nicely. I like all the entries, though!

I'm seriously considering hosting a Monthly Art Contest (MAC), with the challenges expanding to many different kinds of art (drawing, spriting, graphic making, etc.). I kind of feel that I don't have sufficient privileges to run it, though, because I'm not a mod or anything. :p

Bert

Untitled
If I may make a suggestion, if people want the GWSC to continue, but no one wants to step up and take control, there's a weekly contest I enter on some other forums, and each week's contest is hosted by the previous weeks winner. That would make hosting the GWSC much less of a commitment, as you only need to come up with an idea for a contest and make the thread for one week (unless you win again), no one has to worry about doing it week after week after week.

Unless the winner is a slacker, of course. :p I wouldn't mind hosting the contest every now and then, but not everyone wants to enter a contest and risk having to bother hosting one too if they win. With or without the GWSC, I hope we will still have somewhat regular contests eventually. It's pretty much the only thing that keeps spriting alive.

I kind of feel that I don't have sufficient privileges to run it, though, because I'm not a mod or anything. :p

Nah, nobody cares about any of that really. Back in the day everyone and their mother was hosting contests. I remember you did need permission from the mods then, though. But that was a lifetime ago.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Unless the winner is a slacker, of course. :p I wouldn't mind hosting the contest every now and then, but not everyone wants to enter a contest and risk having to bother hosting one too if they win. With or without the GWSC, I hope we will still have somewhat regular contests eventually. It's pretty much the only thing that keeps spriting alive.

If you only have to do it from time to time, I would think it wouldn't be too much work to worry about. The hardest thing to do would be to come up with contest ideas, and if all else fails, just make some generic fusion or re-type theme. I guess we'll just have to see how everyone feels about it. I certainly wouldn't mind hosting every once in awhile either.

Ryger Vandell

Unknown Trainer
American--Pi: I'm actually really fond of this one, the concept is quite clear and everything flows together nicely. While it's cool to see a backsprite fusion, the downside is that you have a lot less features to play with. No eyes, mouth, … makes it harder to stand out creatively. Technically flawless though.

,Ex: Why are you so good at shading? ;_; Really nice work as always, the only other thing I can say is that it took me a while to spot Garbodor in there. Not so sure about the purple eyes, too, but that's nitpicking.

Miss.Alexis: A little bit… bland, I suppose? It looks very last-minute-ish, but there's nothing really wrong with it either.

Missingno.master: Very bizarre sprite, if I may say so. :p I guess that's kinda your signature style. I really like the colors here, but on the other hand some of the parts could have been a little more 'integrated'. The contrast between the Camerupt and Seedot parts, particularly, is a bit too much imo.

noobiess: Amazing work on the head, I love how you edited Glalie's features to make them fit Metang's design better. The body is a nice piece of craftsmanship as well. I'm not a big fan of the tail, though. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the sprite imo.

Ryger Vandell: Cool design and great choice of colors! I'm not sure if I can identify the Golem parts (except the general body shape, maybe), and the outline on the claws and feet is a little bit sloppy, but yeah I'm a big fan of this one overall.

Voting for noobiess. I think he found the right balance between thinking out of the box and not taking things too far.
Ryger Vandell and ,Ex tied for second.

That's what I was aiming for with Golem at first, but if I changed the colour a litle more, golem's rocks should be seen on the inner side, like with forretress's red steel stuff inside.

Anyway, I vote for American--Pi. the shading looks awesome and the pokemon mesh well together

Chalis

Victorious
Voting Noobiess, I like the way the Pokemon were fused together.

AmericanPi

Write on
I'm seriously considering hosting a Monthly Art Contest (MAC), with the challenges expanding to many different kinds of art (drawing, spriting, graphic making, etc.). I kind of feel that I don't have sufficient privileges to run it, though, because I'm not a mod or anything. :p

Sorry guys, changed my mind. I have enough on my plate as it is, with my classes, writing, reviewing, and art shop. I don't want to have an extra commitment at the moment.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Gotta go with ,Ex - Gengar, Muk & Garbordor cuz to me it's the most original fusion of the bunch and has great shading. :]

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Running a weekly contest where the winner should host the next week seems a bit tricky to me. Dividing 'the work' looks very plausible to me. To be honest, it isn't that much of work. It usually take 15-30 minutes/week to make a poll and new GWSC. The difficult part for me was inventing the new challenge and being expected to look after the GWSC during the week (if somebody has some questions). By having multiple hosts this seems much less since you could brainstorm and make a list of challenges (and then just pick one every week) and lookign after the GWSC during the week is much easier then.

For the last GWSC I will also give some C&C:
American--Pi - Nicely executed. it looks very balanced and natural. The colors really matches Volcanion's body very well. But using backsprites makes it difficult to bring some character in the sprite.
Bert - When it comes to fusions, you never disappoint; the pokémon are well blended. The only thing that really bothers me is the mouth, It doesn't seem to fit with the design very much.
,Ex - As always, your shading is on point. Even though I'm not much of a fan of dithering (I probably said this like a 100 times) it really works well with Muk's body. The fusion itself looks a bit weard to me. Fusing something with Muk's body doesn't look very natural to me.
Miss.Alexis - I really laughed with this one. Really simple, as you said a last minute entry, but funny.
Missigno.Master - There is a lot going on there. Many pokémon and colors fused together; it looks a bit messy to me.
Ryger Vandell - I find your design very interesting; I can't really imagine how it would move. I'm not a fan of the colors but it is nicely fused together.

For me it was between Bert and Amperican--pi and even though I would love to vote for Bert, because his fusion are always that amazing, I have to go with American--pi.
I just love how clean the fusion looks (the concept was neat too)!

To comment on Bert:
For me it was very difficult to make this sprite. I started out with the head, which I really like how it turned out, but I could find a good body to put it on. I tried so many options but non of the pokémon seemed to fit. It was between Heatran's body and Nosepass' flipped body and decided to choose the latter one.
In the end this seems a poor choice because I had the same problem with the legs: there wheren't any good legs to fuse it with. Again I tried a lot of possibilities (even using the spikes of Glalie as legs) and Genosect's legs worked best. But it looked like it would fall down because there was no way those frail legs wouldn't be able to hold the body. So even though Mewtwo's tail didn't really match the design so well, I added it last minute to make the sprite more stable-looking.

Ps:I'm terribly sorry, I wanted to vote for American--Pi in stead of Missigno.master. Don't know why I mixed you two up...

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Well this might be the last announcement concerning the GWSC (this feels so weird when I think about it):

The winners of this final week are American--Pi and noobiess!