• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC- Week #19 "The Past is the Past"

noobiess

6 different pokemon
ANY person can enter!
ANY website can participate!
ANY thing can happen! Its the...

WSCbanner.png

This week Alder combined Milktank and Watchog to a winning design. Hopefully Whitney doesn't discover this fusion so that her gym doesn't become even more brutal then it already is ^^

Medium: Devamp
Sprite source: All 1st + 5th gen sprites http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/

Challenge: "The Past is the Past"

This week, the challenge is make a devamp of one of your previous entries (in the style of first generation sprites, so R/B/Y). You are completely free in this, so you can take your entry (for example your eeveelution) or the pokemon that you used (for example the pokemon you used to recolor previous week). If you choose to just use the pokemon itself, you can't take a first gen pokemon (because that would just be too easy ^^). For those who are new to the GWSC and didn't enter in a previous week, you can just use a 5th gen pokemon to devamp.

I don't know if my explanation is perfectly clear so if you have any questions, feel free to ask them

Have fun with it!

Restrictions/TroubleShooting
-Must be within the 96x96 limits.

Post your entry here in the thread by 11:59p.m. Sunday, and voting will occur the following Monday! Thanks to everyone who has entered the contest, and will enter this one

If you have any trouble posting your sprite on the thread, feel free to send it via PM to me.

ps:Since we are somewhat running out of ideas for the themes of the GWSC, ideas are always welcome. You can send them to me (via PM or just by leaving a message on my profile)

Last edited:

Sour Monster

By devamp do you mean make it look like an older version sprite?

Sour Monster

So are we aiming to make them look like an old Red/Blue sprite then? So since I used Cherrim does that mean I could try to make a 1st gen Cherrim? "If you choose to just use the pokemon itself, you can't take a first gen pokemon" - does that mean like because I used Vaporeon then just recolouring it's 1st gen sprite like Cherrim -in gen 1 style shading- would be too easy? (I agree lol.)

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
So are we aiming to make them look like an old Red/Blue sprite then? So since I used Cherrim does that mean I could try to make a 1st gen Cherrim? "If you choose to just use the pokemon itself, you can't take a first gen pokemon" - does that mean like because I used Vaporeon then just recolouring it's 1st gen sprite like Cherrim -in gen 1 style shading- would be too easy? (I agree lol.)

yes, you can't just recolor your vaporeon. But you can devamp cherrim and give it the colors of vaporeon (of the first gen sprite). But since the colors of the first gen all look somewhat the same it would just look like a devamped cherrim.
It is also the meaning to devamp to a first gen sprite (R/B/Y). I will also put that in the first post because maybe that wasn't very clear.

Sour Monster

Aha I understand now thank you, sorry I was a bit slow lol. :) I'll start working on my recoloured Cherrim devamp then. :3

EDIT: Devamped recoloured Cherrim. Not sure it looks devamped enough to be honest but hey ho! Used colours of Red/Blue Vaporeon.
red-version-cherrim.png

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Aha I understand now thank you, sorry I was a bit slow lol. :) I'll start working on my recoloured Cherrim devamp then. :3

EDIT: Devamped recoloured Cherrim. Not sure it looks devamped enough to be honest but hey ho! Used colours of Red/Blue Vaporeon.
red-version-cherrim.png

It's nothing. I think I didn't explained the theme very well this week :p
Looks devamped enough for me ^^ So if that was a concern, the entry is approved

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Don't quite know the fundamentals of re/devamping sprites, but I took a whack at it anyways.

4u0xptD.png

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Don't quite know the fundamentals of re/devamping sprites, but I took a whack at it anyways.

4u0xptD.png

There is always a first for everything :p I think there are some good tutorials out there for the ones who need it. I also suggest looking up the 1ste gen sprites to look to their style of spriting.

I personally love making devamps. They don't require to be pixel perfect and they take you back to the old days.
Even though I was thinking about devamping my poison honchrow, I went with the minions.

minionsdevamp_zps38df827f.png

I tried to give them more of a primal look (since I think the 1st gen sprites are more animal-like)

ps: Today is my birthday so that doubles the fun ^^

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
There is always a first for everything :p I think there are some good tutorials out there for the ones who need it. I also suggest looking up the 1ste gen sprites to look to their style of spriting.

I was looking at the 1st gen Seel sprite because of the similar coloring, but it's kind of hard for me to get so gritty with the style Dx

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I was looking at the 1st gen Seel sprite because of the similar coloring, but it's kind of hard for me to get so gritty with the style Dx
Yeah I think that's the biggest difficulty. You always try to make the sprite so 'clean' as possible but for 1st gen sprite it is normally the opposite.

Gryghaim

InfernalBlaze
Here is my (very, very small) entry. A 1st gen style Meloitty Meloetta. I hope it's eligible, because looking at the other entries it seems a bit, well... different. Anyways, enjoy or something.

transMeloettaRBdevamp_zpsf9a058cb.png

noobiess

6 different pokemon
ZKE, if you don't mind I will make the background transparent for the poll.

Also since all the new pokemon are revealed, I think the sprite project should begin.
Making sprites of every 6th gen pokemon is a big job so hopefully there will be alot of spriters interested to help.
Also supervising it all will be a somewhat big task. I want to do it (hopefully with some help of others) but I will also be very glad if someone else wants to do it (since I already run the GWSC).
So tell me what you think :) (If I don't hear something, I will start the project around wednesday)

ZKE

I'd actually appreciate you adjusting the background, thanks.

I might try my hand at one or two of the new pokemon in the coming weeks.

Mew The Gato

What are you supposed to do when you have to make an ugly sprite?

Find a scrawny Pokemon, take colours from other Generation I sprites then make a disgusting combination out of them. I hope this sprite looks disgusting enough.