• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC-Week 3 Poll

-Raiga-

ANYONE CAN VOTE
This week's challenge was to retype a dark type pokemon to the new fairy type!

Hey there ladies and gents. This is the second poll of the GWSC. The rules are pretty simple, anyone can vote whether they entered or not. And...

Everyone has 3 votes to use!
The votes will be tallied on Sunday and the winner will be announced in one of the following weeks contests!

jadeVelocity

The Ancient One
jadeVelocity (Proper spelling!), Frosty Voltorb and Digit. I was personally expecting someone to post a generic Cresselia sprite and claim it was a retyped Darkrai.

Frosty Voltorb

The color palettes are so bright!

Votes go to Digit, Jade Velocity, and brutaka. I believe these have the most significant changes to them, giving them the look of a different type. So kudos to all and good luck!

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Painted opposum: I think this one captures the fairy-type the best.
Digit: I think this one could actually looks like a pokémon in stead of looking like a retype of a pokemon. I also think it's a high quality sprite and you worked on all the details to fit :)
Frosty Voltorb: It's a simple change but it looks great. The personaly you gave the sprite really matches concept of it.

Hopefully I can enter this week because this week I tried but I have been making everything from scratch for soo long that I can't edit official sprites anymore ^^ But I'm willing to try it again this week ;)
ps: Thanx again Raiga for doing this, I loove the results

votes for

Frosty Voltorb, Iota

E: i removed jadeVelocity because while jadeVelocity's entry looks the coolest, creative and polished out of all of them... it's a bad retype. Amaterasu isn't really a fairy in the first place iirc but (that's opinion since the fairy type isn't really defined at all) more importantly, one look at this sprite and you'd think that this is a fire-type. it's the best sprite out of all of them though. just a bad retype for this particular contest, that's all.

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Digit, jadeVelocity, Iota

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Frosty Voltorb's is my absolute favourite - Fairy doesn't just mean small cute winged thing, fairy stories are incredibly diverse and often horrifying. The concept is excellent and its quite well made to boot.

jadeVelocity's sprite is very well made, although possibly straying a little too far from the concept.

Lastly, Digit's follows the same design philosophies as Sylveon but isn't bright neon pink or over done with details.

Sorry I couldn't enter this week, was busy with exams and then moving all my stuff back from university.

SuperUltraZekrom

Derpy Spriter
For some reason, when i tried to post my result it said it needed to be approved by moderators. Oh well

Voting for Frosty Voltorb, Painted Opposum, and Digit.

-Raiga-

jadeVelocity (Proper spelling!)

I'm aware, believe me. After a 110 weeks of the WSC members spelling my name Riaga I know how annoying is. But do know each one of these little pictures takes a good half and hour to do, so I kinda just say "F it" half the time. Plus I got this odd thing where I just have to capitalize the first letter of a Name haha

Frosty Voltorb's is my absolute favourite - Fairy doesn't just mean small cute winged thing, fairy stories are incredibly diverse and often horrifying. The concept is excellent and its quite well made to boot.

jadeVelocity's sprite is very well made, although possibly straying a little too far from the concept.

I concur on both accounts. Don't get me wrong jadevelocity, I think its the most impressive sprite job of the bunch, but I simply don't think of a fairy when I see it.

So in addition to Frosty's, my other votes go to Digit for some interesting and unique details(especially the hearts on the ears!!!), and Iota for the cute little butterfly ears.

Sorry I couldn't enter this week, was busy with exams and then moving all my stuff back from university.

No problem man :) That's what is nice about a weekly contest, you can join when you want to.

Last edited:

Digit

Voting for Iota and Frosty Voltorb. I also commend Iota for the great job in changing Umbreon's palette to a more brighter blue body colour.

Regarding jadeVelocity's entry, if anything, it's just a Mightyena attempting to look like Amaterasu from the game Okami. And Ammy is a god, not really a fairy. The effort is great, but the thought is just not there considering you've used an existing design as a reference.

jadeVelocity

The Ancient One
Regarding jadeVelocity's entry, if anything, it's just a Mightyena attempting to look like Amaterasu from the game Okami. And Ammy is a god, not really a fairy. The effort is great, but the thought is just not there considering you've used an existing design as a reference.

I mentioned most of my reasoning for doing the Divine=Fairy thing on the contest submission, but basically I figured that since we only know what five Fairies are, we don't really have an accurate indication on what can be considered a Fairy type. I went with an extreme, so yeah.

As for using Amaterasu as the basis for the design, I also admitted that in the main thread. My reasoning behind doing so was primarily time, as I was forced to do this sprite during rest stops on a family road trip from Mount Rushmore. Also, I haven't sprited in over a year, so I figured I'd do something a bit simpler than completely scratching a Bisharp into a Seraphim (which was my other idea, actually, and I'm keeping it in my back pocket for future contests).

I understand where you guys are coming from, just thought I needed to explain my intentions since I've been receiving a lot of heat for it in this thread. Anywho, carry on.

-Raiga-

I mentioned most of my reasoning for doing the Divine=Fairy thing on the contest submission, but basically I figured that since we only know what five Fairies are, we don't really have an accurate indication on what can be considered a Fairy type. I went with an extreme, so yeah.

As for using Amaterasu as the basis for the design, I also admitted that in the main thread. My reasoning behind doing so was primarily time, as I was forced to do this sprite during rest stops on a family road trip from Mount Rushmore. Also, I haven't sprited in over a year, so I figured I'd do something a bit simpler than completely scratching a Bisharp into a Seraphim (which was my other idea, actually, and I'm keeping it in my back pocket for future contests).

I understand where you guys are coming from, just thought I needed to explain my intentions since I've been receiving a lot of heat for it in this thread. Anywho, carry on.

Hey, like I said in the original post, we don't have a good idea of what the extent is of a fairy pokemon design. Personally I like people who go outside the box. This one simply did it too much, that's all :)

jadeVelocity

The Ancient One
Hey, like I said in the original post, we don't have a good idea of what the extent is of a fairy pokemon design. Personally I like people who go outside the box. This one simply did it too much, that's all :)

Not a problem. If anything, I got a nice avatar for other forums out of last week's contest. +)