• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GWSC-Week 6 poll

-Raiga-

ANYONE CAN VOTE
The challenge this week was to create a new shadow legendary like lugia from Pokemon XD. It must have been from 5th gen.

Everyone has 1 vote to use!
The votes will be tallied on Sunday and the winner will be announced in one of the following weeks contests!

Not to discourage the others, but my vote was a no-brainer this week. umbreot.

The colors are different than the usual shadow's but it works to perfection. The colors are neither too bright nor too dark, and they even hue shifted to the clouds to a red color. Just an awesome job.

Frosty Voltorb

I'll have to, once again, give my vote to jadeVelocity. Not only for the nice scratch work and recoloring, but also because he used the Pokemon I was planning on using for this contest (which I failed to enter in time due to spacing out.) Anywho, good luck everyone!

Burakoru

Belly Slide
Giving my vote to JadeVelocity, this one definitely feels more than just a recolour, it feels like an ACTUAL XD002 for Virizion, and is quite well done, to be honest.

ZKE

Yeah, I'm going to have to stick with the trend here and vote for jadeVelocity. I like some of the others, but this one really feels like it nails the XD effect like Shadow Lugia demonstrated. Good job, man.

Janice Quatlane

helloooo ladies
Well, I'm breaking away from the tend and voting for Lost.
I just love reshiram's cute little mouth and the red claws ^^
I wanna hug it...

My vote goes to Creeper. XD Pokemon are obviously human-altered. Genesect is a decidedly manmade Pokemon. His sprite actually looks like a madman's attempt to make an evil Pokemon. Also, it's not purple; most everyone associates "Shadow" Pokemon with a specific hue of purple, but our spriter strays from that path. Congrats.

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
I'm going for jadeVelocity here, no doubt about it. Jade went above and behind, and while I think the bonetail didn't work out that well, it really captures the essence of darkness, and a really good corruption of a Sword of Justice, now I guess a Sword of Malice.

umbreot

God of Fusions
I also vote for Jade Velocity, nice work there.

However, I notice that my entry does not look the same as what you posted there. Whats up with that?
My entry:
shadowlandorous.png

vs

week6poll.png

Minor difference with the red glow, but my sprites should not be changed in appearance by someone or something else for a contest...

jadeVelocity

The Ancient One
@Umbreot: It seems you posted up two different versions, looking at the submission thread. The one shown as the contest entry is the one that was displayed on the post, while the one you're showing now was on the hyperlink attached to your submission post. Not sure how it got changed, but you can check it out yourself and see what I mean.

Also, voting for King Tapir. The colors are easy on the eyes, and in general I think it looks pretty well made. Nice work, man.

-Raiga-

@Umbreot: It seems you posted up two different versions, looking at the submission thread. The one shown as the contest entry is the one that was displayed on the post, while the one you're showing now was on the hyperlink attached to your submission post. Not sure how it got changed, but you can check it out yourself and see what I mean.

Indeed. All I've done is what I've done to everyone elses.

umbreot

God of Fusions

Not sure how you get that; they're both the same files.
Right click and view the URL to check.

My suggestion is when you copy it over to photoshop, do it in one stroke so that it preserves transparency.
It looks as though you tried to copy it over and re-edited the transparency, which changed the color.

-Raiga-

Not sure how you get that; they're both the same files.
Right click and view the URL to check.

My suggestion is when you copy it over to photoshop, do it in one stroke so that it preserves transparency.
It looks as though you tried to copy it over and re-edited the transparency, which changed the color.

First off, I use Gimp, and I'm not sure if it or photoshop have the ability to, but if you simply copy/paste a file you'll get a black background because a computer can't logically copy an alpha channel. Unless you had a psd/xcf, I don't think any program could obtain such info and convert it. Again, I may be wrong though.

Secondly, now that I actually see what you are talking about(the glow right?), I would say that's actually an illegal entry. Spriting is essentially dependent on working around not having an alpha channel(thus why people anti-alias), so if you have a glow like this I would that's not really spriting, even if you did hand draw each pixel.

That said, I'm sorry for my mistake. I don't really feel it affected the voting at all, but I'll try and cover every base on the restrictions, or make a thread with official contest rules.(though I wanted to avoid that, but maybe it's necessary)

KingTapir

Just a freedom hussy
My vote goes for jadeVelocity, because it's got the proper look of a shadow pokemon, and not just a recolour.

umbreot

God of Fusions
Spriting is essentially dependent on working around not having an alpha channel(thus why people anti-alias), so if you have a glow like this I would that's not really spriting, even if you did hand draw each pixel.

Having actually taken a number of computer design courses centered around game design, I can tell that this is definitely not true.
I'm not sure where you are getting this information from, but I guarantee to you that that is not true. I'm not upset at the color change, but at your misinformation. Saying that it's "not a sprite" because there's an "alpha channel" is ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE pokemon sprite used in a game since pokemon advance has an alpha channel, as well as anything animated in previous games. I do not think you even know what that term means.
Also, spriting itself is not a defined function. "Spriting" is a colloquial term used by non professionals to define low bit-rate images used in games; it has no meaning in the industry.

If you want to create a sit of rules on what is acceptable/is not, that's fine. But please do not post misinformed statements. Research!