• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gyarados Help!

hydramon

Shiny Butterfree
Can You Help Me With A good Set + EV's For my Shiny Gyarados. It has NO EVs, and These are its Stats/IV's (yea they kinda crappy -_-)
Shiny Gyarados
Lax Nature
Hp 114/0 <--- Yea I Know it SUCKS!!!
Att 99/12
Def 75/21
S.Att 53/15
S.Def 76/23
Spd 65/6

I Don't know what to EV Train it in, or what moves to set on it so please help ^_^

LordKelvin

It's not Lupus.
My recommendation, take advantage of its high base attack and give it Waterfall (and/or Aqua Tail if you want, but Aqua Tail's inherent inaccuracy turns me off), to take advantage of STAB. Ice Fang is a good choice too, especially if you haven't beaten the Elite Four yet. You can opt for Earthquake to deal with Electric types (though it's usually better to switch out than to risk being raped by that 4x multiplier), and maybe Giga Impact for most anything else.

As for EVs, Gyarados normally has a pretty high base HP, but it can't hurt to invest a few points in to make up for the horrible IV. Try bumping up its speed a few notches, especially if you opt for Earthquake (the point of Earthquake is to kill that Electric Pokemon before it rapes you with Thunderbolt), and see if you can augment its already high base attack.

maartenjoker

EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 S.Def
Move set:
Aqua tail/Waterfall (accuracy or power)
Earthquake (for those real pesky electric buggers, as well as rock)
Stone Edge
Dragon Dance (for a fun sweep)/ Ice Fang (grass/dragons)/ Giga Impact (for finishers)

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
aqua tail
earthquake
dragon dance
ice fang

like maarten said

and u should get the focus sash from the old man in the house on route 221
the first 2 days u will get an expert belt but the 3rd day it will be a focus sash

Last edited:

goldfan

playing an ish game
Evs: 200 HP - Improves Gyaras already decent hits spongin capability, now he can take weak electric attacks

Then shove the other 308 useful ones into speed and attck, depending on which one you want most of. I would go with attack, cos speed boosting can be done through dragon dance. 1 DD will give you a decent amount of speed anyway

maartenjoker

HP?
You don't want to 'sponge' with a gyarados, it's not a tank. You can spend all your EV's defensewise and still get blasted by a good thunderbolt.

Gyarados is a attackfreak and you should always go for full attack and speed to strike first and strike hard. The best defense is a good offense, right?

hydramon

Shiny Butterfree
So... Max EVs in Attack and Speed?
This is my moveset
IceFang
Waterfall
?
?
Cant decide on the last 2

maartenjoker

Earthquake is thé way to go. It's the best physical attack in the game, and gyara is a physical attacker. And it also just so happens that gyara's biggest weakness is blasted away with earthquake. So it's a must.
Dragon Dance is a beautiful attack on gyara, as it raises atk and spd. Do one or two of those and you outrun all and make very nice damage.
As for Ice fang, it's either that or stone edge. Stone Edge is high damage, and can take some targets down, Ice fang has less damage but better type coverage. It's your pick.

hydramon

Shiny Butterfree
OK Thank You. So I just need to sort out EVs. Why do you put 4 on S.Def? Wouldnt It be better on HP?

hydramon

Shiny Butterfree
OK Thank You. So I just need to sort out EVs. Why do you put 4 on S.Def? Wouldnt It be better on HP?

maartenjoker

4 Hp, 4 S.def, it's such a minor detail that it's effect can almost not be noticed ingame.
For this particular case, I used s.def because of it's crappy electrical weakness and electric attacks usually tend to be a special attack.

actually nexttime post this in the ingame single rate section k?

and for your
Gyarados @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Adamant
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-EQ
-Dragon Dance

Gibbis

Read it,READ IT!
Can You Help Me With A good Set + EV's For my Shiny Gyarados. It has NO EVs, and These are its Stats/IV's (yea they kinda crappy -_-)
Shiny Gyarados
Lax Nature
Hp 114/0 <--- Yea I Know it SUCKS!!!
Att 99/12
Def 75/21
S.Att 53/15
S.Def 76/23
Spd 65/6

I Don't know what to EV Train it in, or what moves to set on it so please help ^_^

try the website http://www.smogon.com then look for teirs and press OU

Then stick a set that you pefer for Gyarados