• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Battle! Z-Move VS Mega Evolution!! (986)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Hey guys, so Brock and Misty pretty much confirmed they would be coming to Alola sometime in the future at the end of this episode, was that in the original too or was that a dub line??

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Hey guys, so Brock and Misty pretty much confirmed they would be coming to Alola sometime in the future at the end of this episode, was that in the original too or was that a dub line??
That was indeed in the original. Though I'm not sure I'd actually put much stock in that line. How many other examples have we seen of "Yeah I'll totally come see you later!" wherein the characters in question are never seen again before this?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
That was indeed in the original. Though I'm not sure I'd actually put much stock in that line. How many other examples have we seen of "Yeah I'll totally come see you later!" wherein the characters in question are never seen again before this?

Ya, but it's usually COTD's and throw away lines like next time we battle I'm gonna win or whatever.

I can't remember the last time a legit main character said that they would be coming to the current region. It would be different if they said we'll meet up when I come back to Kanto. They specifically said we would come to Alola and Ash isn't staying there forever. Plus part of me has to hope there's some larger role for them this season. Unlike the obligatory previous gens companions make a cameo, Misty and Brock have been gone for awhile so to bring them back for just a one off seems odd.

DatsRight

If the dub replaces Kalos tracks, it's music to my ears. Really wish they'd actually use Sun and Moon tracks. Anyways this was an ok episode. I really wanted to see Snowy have a full battle, but I guess I'll have to wait.

I'd rather have had some actual Kanto tracks, the original Japanese edit only had as many as the English dub had (ie. the end credits remix from the movie and the original intro of it's respective dub in the previous episode). Especially odd after the movie gave them a HD retake of most of the OS's soundtrack.

Come on, I wanna hear Burning Battlefield again. Persistent Pokemon especially would have fit Ash vs Misty's battle.

Last edited:

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
this episode was downright amazing!!! normally i'd call myself out on nostalgia but not on this one!!! those battles were some of the best ones this season has had!!! brock showed what he and steelix are really capable of and misty's gyarados was terrifying in the extreme but she underestimated ash, a critical mistake! she really should have known better but still 11/10 for this episode

gentwoer

Yuck.

I watched this episode partially out of curiosity and partially for nostalgia sake. The character designs are just such an eye sore, the animation at least when during the Pokemon battles was nice but not enough to justify the ugly art direction. While I was aware of Ash's awful PUSA voice I didn't know how bad Misty and Brock's new voices would be but gaaah double yuck. At least Ash beat Misty with actual strategy and everything I guess.

Not sure what it was but this episode (maybe its Sun and Moon in general) had this very Pre-school feel to it. I was half-expecting Ash or one of his classmates to turn to the audience and say "Do you know what color water is?" "That's right water is blue!"

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like how they keep reminding the audience how Brock is a former Gym Leader multiple times. His brother must be annoyed for not having a role.

Ha ha. Badges out of pity for Ash. Though Misty was saved from humiliation given her story was more problematic than Brock's.

How can you have battles and still not win on either side. The first two "battles" felt like Serena battles. The worst kind! Both Sophocles and Lillie got REALLY short ends of the stick. They didn't even use more than one move each.

Brock, Misty, Mega Evolution is soooooooo 2013. Get with the times.

It feels so degrading to see Ash react so immaturely to a simple terrain change. BOY YOU HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN COUNTLESS OF TIMES AND YOU DID NOT BLOW YOUR HEAD OVER IT. It's sad Misty's jab at him was very much justified.

I agree with Rotomdex. The next two battles were pretty illogical, and so was "using the thunder as stairs."

I wasn't a fan of the cheap background animations they used for when Z-Moves were used. I thought we finally got rid of them, but then again, they keep recycling the same Z-Move animations.

Misty: It felt like old times!

Except for your horrible May-like voice.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Misty and Brock’s upcoming return had me wanting to watch this episode for the umpteenth time..

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I enjoyed all of the battles, and reading through this thread, I’ve seen people say Misty was demeaning Ash or Ash was being too cocky but I disagree with both statements. It was just playful banter which is normal between friends and has always been a part of Ash and Misty’s dynamic. I’m glad it was included because the reunion between the three wouldn’t have felt genuine without.

On another note, I wish Ash would have used one of his Kalos Pokémon to fight Misty.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
On another note, I wish Ash would have used one of his Kalos Pokémon to fight Misty.

Well considering the fact that Kanto nostalgia was a huge deal here, I can't see why he would've used a Kalos Pokemon at the Hanada Gym. It would've seemed kind of random to me.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'd put stock in it now!

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I'd put stock in it now!
Well sure, because now we know that they are, in fact, coming back in some capacity. Just sayin', at the time this episode aired, given the anime's track record I saw no reason to assume that their "Yeah we'll totally come visit you!" was anything more than empty words.

Jnmisty

I feel like Brock should have let them on a huge secret that Ash has a huge knack for battling and coming up with unique battling strategies that caught his opponents really off guard. Plus I also think that Misty really underestimated Ash in a big way.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I feel like Brock should have let them on a huge secret that Ash has a huge knack for battling and coming up with unique battling strategies that caught his opponents really off guard. Plus I also think that Misty really underestimated Ash in a big way.
Who do you mean by "them"?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
the Alola school classmates
Why would they need to be let in on that? At the time, none of them were planning on battling Ash. Misty was Ash's opponent, and she already knew the same thing Brock knew.

Jnmisty

That maybe true, however, I think that the Alola school classmates are not fully aware of just how much battling experience Ash really has. There is more to Ash Ketchum that meets the eyes.