• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I'm confused as to why some of you guys seem to assume that Shizui possibly having a gym in a town/city near Hiougi necessarily means he's one of the first gym leaders. Even putting aside the fact that he has Ace Trainers in his gym, signalling that he's probably at least the third gym, have y'all forgotten that GF like making us return to gyms that weren't available first time we passed through an area? This was done in Gen 1 and 3 (and Gen 4 before Fantina was bumped down to 3rd Gym in Platinum), so it could be done again.

I don't see a good reason why Cheren should even use Dark-types at all. I mean, he's a conflicted nerd with an inferiority complex

Heh. I've seen him called lots of things, including a girl, but this is new.

I don't see him using Dark types either. He never showed any preference for Dark types in his B/W team.

Nachttr41ner

World Traveler
sorry for going on and on but i have another opinion :p i think that since we have two replacement gym leaders, there is going to be some excuse for the otheres to have left, and with all the gym leaders having jobs there is many reasons for them to leave i.e. elesa had to go modeling in kanto or something, or burgh is on a retreat to pinwheel forest to find inspiration. I also think that, as much as i want them to leave, the triplets will stay for GF to take advantage of the triple battle, or roatation battle with the triplets.....

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I really don't understand why everyone and their uncle thinks that all Gym Leaders will be replaced.

Really, why?

Not everyone believes that. However, those of us who do believe that the other Gym Leaders will be replaced are simply looking forward to more changes. But it's not like I'll throw a tantrum if some of the previous Gym Leaders are still around; while I would like new ones, I'm not as crazy about new Gym Leaders as I am about new locations and such.

Cariba

Miss protagonist
Not to offend the classic lovers...but don't you think it'd be better for 10 gym leaders instead of 8? ^^

kemal07

Well if we only get 8 Gym Leaders in total... and if Shizui is indeed the 5,6 or 7th Gym Leader... I would say this limits the chances of any more new Gym Leaders, because Corocoro tends to showcase Gym Leaders in an order... so maybe Homika and Shizui are the only new Gym Leaders...

Seiryu

Resident dragon
I'm confused as to why some of you guys seem to assume that Shizui possibly having a gym in a town/city near Hiougi necessarily means he's one of the first gym leaders. Even putting aside the fact that he has Ace Trainers in his gym, signalling that he's probably at least the third gym, have y'all forgotten that GF like making us return to gyms that weren't available first time we passed through an area? This was done in Gen 1 and 3 (and Gen 4 before Fantina was bumped down to 3rd Gym in Platinum), so it could be done again.

Could be. But you have to remember the reason revisiting gyms was able to work in previous gens. This is because of the way the regions (and thus the planned routes for players) were set up. In each case, we're talking a relatively short distance even without using Fly. Kanto was pretty much a big circle; most players were already traveling north to Pallet Town after defeating Blaine. Same with Gen 4; Hearthome, Solaceon, Veilstone, and Pastoria make a nice big circle as well. In Gen 2, you had to deliver the medicine to the Olivine Lighthouse anyways. The longest distance was to Petalburg from Lavaridge in Gen 3, and even that is mitigated by shortcuts like Rusturf Tunnel (not to mention that Norman explicitly told you to come back and challenge him once you got four badges).
Unova is...extremely linear, to say the least. There are no branching paths or giant circles until the post-game. Oh sure, you could potentially argue that since this is a sequel, things will be different...but even so, we seem to be going on another ultra-linear path this time around: start in Hiougi, in the southwest portion of the map; take a boat or underwater tunnel to Castelia; travel either east towards Nacrene or north to Nimbasa; and work up the eastern side of the region, passing by Giant Chasm (for Kyurem) and reaching the league via Lacunosa. The only way I can see backtracking to a gym working would be if you were, like with Norman, explicitly told to return at a certain point in your journey. And even then, I can only see it happening relatively soon after you first leave--like, "two cities later" soon; any further would all but require the use of Fly, and required HM usage is, for the most part, something the developers seemingly have realized is utterly stupid and are trying to phase out. (And before you remind me of the various other instances of backtracking, which I assure you I do remember, I'll remind you that none of them have involved getting a badge.)

But come on, it's not like Shizui's gym is anywhere near Hiougi City anyways. I mean, not unless someone's trying to insinuate that it'd be in the port city (which I'll remind everyone is noticeably lacking certain key features about Shizui's town, which is to say, a massive beach with palm trees), or there's this secret new version of the map that nobody but a select few people have access to that shows off a completely new area near Hiougi (obviously including the aforementioned beach and trees) and that obviously must exist (despite reputable sources like Serebii Joe not once saying anything about it) for people to claim that Shizui's gym even might be anywhere in the western half of the region.

Seriously though. Smart money says that his gym's somewhere in the general area around Undella. (Side note: there being Ace Trainers in his gym suggest it's at least the fourth, not third. The earliest that Cool/Ace Trainers have ever appeared is in Hoenn, route...112, I believe, north of the desert. So, after the third badge, leading up to the fourth.)

I'm also banking on Homika being the first gym leader, and in the port city. Why? Well, it's rather simple. We can safely assume that the port city has the first gym; not only is the second town far too small (especially seeing how we haven't had an official gym in a "town" since Gen 3), the first gym battle has always been in at least the third town/city of the game. Not to mention that we are most likely heading to Castelia after this, and I highly doubt they'd downgrade Burgh. (side note: I'm also banking on there being no direct gym replacements.) Aside from that, look at the inside of her gym. There appear to be only two junior trainers: a guitarist behind the microphone on the right side of the stage, and a roughneck behind the drum set on the left. Another fun fact: besides Jasmine's, the only gyms to ever have only two or fewer trainers are the first gyms in each region: Brock, Falkner, Roxanne (R/S), Roark, and the triplets.

Just, y'know, a bit of pattern analysis.

I mean, it makes sense to me, at least.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I would like to put my two cents in.... I believe that Homika will be the first gym leader because of the number of pokemon in her roster, two, wich is a common number among the first few gym leaders. It also seems likely that she will have her gym located in the industrial port city that is located two towns away from houigi city. I also beleive that shizui will be either the 6,7,8 or eighth gym leader and that he will be located in Undella town. I think he will be located in Undella town because it seems to fit the tropical theme showed in the trailer, it seems a likely place for a deep sea diver themed gym leader to be located because of the abyssal ruins, and in the trailer, it shows your player exiting from a cave into the town, and if the theory of flying from mistralton to the mountain village is true, it would make sence that you travel from in the mountian and exit out into undella twon. I would also like to point out how in th trailer it shows your character and akuroma on a platform surounded by an audiance. this, along with the fact that akuroma helps your character out through the game and that he specifically studies the strength of pokemon, leads me to believe that he is the champion, and that fighting in front of a crowd has become a thing in unova (like in the anime, and if it is true that he is the champion, fighting in front of a crowd would make the game feel o much more realistic to me...)

I was thinking the image I saw of Shizui outside his gym didn't look like Undella Town, but going to the main site and looking at the picture, it actually does look like the upper lever next to Undella's pokemon center.

Wow, while typing this I remembered a dream I think I had last night. We didn't have Cilan, Chili, and Cress in a gym...we had them, or at least Cilan and Cress as I recall, having their own gyms. Even in the dream I thought it was odd we'd have two water gym leaders.

Nachttr41ner

World Traveler
Well since Unova has been so linear so far, wouldn't you think that they might wanna mix it up a little and have us backtrack or go off to branching towns, like by changing the order of original gyms along with adding
the new ones?

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Well since Unova has been so linear so far, wouldn't you think that they might wanna mix it up a little and have us backtrack or go off to branching towns, like by changing the order of original gyms and
the new ones?

Fortunately that seems to be what they're doing. If Homika's city is the first gym, then there's three paths to go instead of one linear path.

- Out on a boat to Castelia.
- Into Driftveil and over the drawbridge.
- Into Driftveil and north.

Nachttr41ner

World Traveler
I don't think we'll go straight from homika to driftveil however. If it went to castelia to nimbasa to driftveil ect, than there wouldnt have to be such a level change in the gym leaders pokemon. however, they did drop fantina down to the third gym and switched most of her pokemon in platinum, so i guess anything is possible...

Bardische

Elegance.
sorry for going on and on but i have another opinion :p i think that since we have two replacement gym leaders, there is going to be some excuse for the otheres to have left, and with all the gym leaders having jobs there is many reasons for them to leave i.e. elesa had to go modeling in kanto or something, or burgh is on a retreat to pinwheel forest to find inspiration. I also think that, as much as i want them to leave, the triplets will stay for GF to take advantage of the triple battle, or roatation battle with the triplets.....

Burgh retreats to Nacrene City itself, just to let you know.

And lol, the triplets were useless to me. Almost everyone probably though they would showcase the triple/rotational battle mechanics. Yet GF didn't really showcase enough of that. They made it seem like it was just another thing they added instead of giving it a spotlight like with Double Battles in Emerald. Who knows, Triple Battles could be a big thing in BW2. But I really don't see the point of why use the triplets to showcase them this time around when they couldn't the first time.

Not to offend the classic lovers...but don't you think it'd be better for 10 gym leaders instead of 8? ^^

I honestly wish there were more.

Chomper4

If there are only new Gym Leaders, I see my theory on the names of the other six:

Ricky: (from rocky)
Veruca: (from volcano)
Blanche: (from white)
Ian: (from iron)
Franklin: (from electrician Benjamin Franklin)
Brenda: (meaning sword)

kemal07

maybe we will have more leaders than more gyms like in the first game

I truly hope we get 8 New Gym Leaders along with the 8 Original ones... but where would they fit them all, but if they manage to, I will crown generation 5 as the best generation by far...

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
I truly hope we get 8 New Gym Leaders along with the 8 Original ones... but where would they fit them all, but if they manage to, I will crown generation 5 as the best generation by far...

Welp, since about 55% of Unova is covered in ice (RIP Nuvema Town), I don't see how they would fit all those Gym leaders there.

Ok, again the ice isn't real people...I know most people know this but still some don't.

There is a theory or some sort of there is another map in B/W 2, maybe like the Sevii Islands possibly.

Chomper4

Welp, since about 55% of Unova is covered in ice (RIP Nuvema Town), I don't see how they would fit all those Gym leaders there.

That ice is definitely fake. The only reason it is there is to prevent spoilers.

gliscor&yanmega

I mentioned before that perhaps Unova could have a different kind of style for gyms where after a certain amount of time passes the gyms are rotated out. So while some gyms can be in new places, other gyms can stay where they are but just have someone new there. Then maybe post league, the time comes for the gyms to rotate again so you challenge the other 8 gyms. And if there are rematches then they can just battle you whenever and wherever I guess, maybe they can battle you outside of gyms for rematches(They all gather in one place in HeartGold and SoulSilver, why not battle them outside of their gyms in better locations) so maybe you can find Homika at the Musical and battle her there, and Shizui is at a beach somewhere and you battle him there.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I'm sure the old Gym Leaders would be encountered in the new games, but I doubt they'd still hold on to their titles; I can't see more than 8 Gyms in the Unova region.

kemal07

I'm sure the old Gym Leaders would be encountered in the new games, but I doubt they'd still hold on to their titles; I can't see more than 8 Gyms in the Unova region.

I'm going to miss their Gym puzzles and VS Banners if thats the case : (

Status
Not open for further replies.