• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

Patrat probably has: Hypnosis/Bite/Work Up
And Lillipup has: Work Up/Bite/Tackle/Lick (just to be a little annoying)

I dunno. It's just so...basic. (yeeeaaaahhhhhh...)

Work Up/Bite/Detect/Bide

Work Up/Bite/Tackle/Odor Sleuth

Would seem about right

Bardische

Elegance.
Magnemite can have Thunder Wave/Supersonic/SonicBoom and Thundershock by level 17.

Let's see Whirlipede manage to Rollout five times lol.

Work Up/Bite/Detect/Bide

Work Up/Bite/Tackle/Odor Sleuth

Would seem about right

It's so bland though. I know he's like the Gym Leader for basic battles and such, but his Pokemon's moves leave a lot to be desired. Oh well, I guess this makes more sense.

Last edited:

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
What is most frustrating about Cheren's team is that there is no wild card, no Pokemon that we have yet to see and were not expecting. If we look back to all the other 1st Gym Leaders (Brock, Faulkner, Roxanne, and Roark), they each had a Pokemon that was new and exciting to the player. (Onix, Pidgeotto, Nosepass, and Cranidos respectively). Even Cilan/Chili/Cress had an unforeseen type monkey that made it's first appearance in their hands.

Lillipup is only marginally more difficult to defeat than Patrat, and neither is especially challenging even with Work Up or other TM moves. I think Dunsparce would have been a really interesting addition to the end of the team (now that we know it's available in the first few routes). It's bulky enough to sponge some hits, but it's not overtly powerful enough to give the player too tough of a time.

Meh.

Ver-mont

In what universe is Pidgeotto exciting

Well, it's... "different". At least in a way Lillipup is not. And well, it's really Falkner's signature... I mean, Lillipup is Cheren's ace Pokémon and it was used as the lead for the previous first Leaders...

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
In the universe where it hasn't been exposed to the player beforehand. We're spoiled to know every Pokemon like the back of our hands, but a new player will find Pidgeotto exciting, unsual, and new.

R_N

In the universe where it hasn't been exposed to the player beforehand. We're spoiled to know every Pokemon like the back of our hands, but a new player will find Pidgeotto exciting, unsual, and new.

In that case, players will find Lillipup exciting and new because it seems we don't head outside Sangi town before turning around and beating up Cheren.
The only things you'll see are Patrat & Purrloin

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
Yeah, you're right on that one. Kinda sucks since it was forced down our throat in BW1 (Bianca, Chili/Cress/Cilan, and Lenora all had one or an evolution, AND countless trainers).

V Faction

www.faction.com
Those last couple of posts: I agree with wholeheartedly.

Ultimately, it's what makes the Gym Leader battles memorable. The Normal-type hasn't been explored (edit: to clarify, the Unova Normal-type; prior Leaders are better examples), and yet here we are with the sequel to the most recent generation of games (a feat within itself) and the opportunity to give the players to face something unique is squandered. Now we'll have to wait even longer for that one chance to open up again. Worst part is, we don't know if it was an oversight or deliberate on Gamefreak's part to do what's been done.

Last edited:

R_N

Those last couple of posts: I agree with wholeheartedly.

Ultimately, it's what makes the Gym Leader battles memorable. The Normal-type hasn't been explored, and yet here we are with the sequel to the most recent generation of games (a feat within itself) and the opportunity to give the players to face something unique is squandered. Now we'll have to wait even longer for that one chance to open up again. Worst part is, we don't know if it was an oversight or deliberate on Gamefreak's part to do what's been done.
Almost certainly 100% deliberate

The fact his team is a lowered staged version of Lenora was probably intentional

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
Well Cheren's team is a little disappointing, but Homika having Whilipede was expected.

Maxim

Beyond repair
Alder's House in Sangi Town looks like a nice place for Gym Leader rematches, doesn't it?

AceFlonne

Mediator
Translation of one of the pages according to pokejungle is that it says that Alder was Unova's previous champ, I guess we get a new champ after all

Interesting. I hope it's Hilda or Hilbert....Or a new Character.

I'm dissapointed in Cheren's second pokemon.Herdier would be a lot better

Last edited:

Kall El

..Silence..
Lillipup and Patrat? That's not so bad for the 1st Gym.
I don't think we should have expected too much from Cheren.
His ethos and idea is to promote and help younger trainers, his team is supposed to be basic.
With the lack of Fighting Mons, Save Pignite there isn't anything that hits his team for SE damage.

Well we finally know what Homika's signature Poke is..
Whirilipede should be tough if you didn't chose Tepig :]]

We shouldn't jump to conclusions just because Alder is referred to as the BW Champ
Although it does indicate to a strong possibility of there being a new one!
I would never expect them to include his house, we can visit a Champions house? It better be luxurious!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.