• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders and Elite Four Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
Burgh even on challenge mode was easy. Eviolite roggenrola cleaned house. Now is this team good enough for challenge mode elesa? I just cleared lostlorn.

Dewott 27
Braviary 26
Leavanny 26
Luvario 26
Magnemite 26
boldore 26

munchlaxguy

The Rolling Thunder
Burgh even on challenge mode was easy. Eviolite roggenrola cleaned house. Now is this team good enough for challenge mode elesa? I just cleared lostlorn.

Dewott 27
Braviary 26
Leavanny 26
Luvario 26
Magnemite 26
boldore 26

I would say this is good enough even on challenge mode although I have white 2 so I never got the hard mode of the game my Level 27 Lucario beat 2 of her 3 pokemon and Pignite finished her emolga.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
How do you guys play challenge mode before beating the game?

Cheating, I think.

I'm just doing Normal, and Clay whooped me the first time. Then again, he also got a Metal Claw attack boost the first turn after being sent out that let him OHKO all of my remaining 'mons, so maybe that doesn't normally happen, I guess.

gliscor&yanmega

Dewott 27
Braviary 26
Leavanny 26
Luvario 26
Magnemite 26
boldore 26

Yah, Rock type vs Bug type, that's obviously not going to be a challenge. Burgh wasn't easy, you used an advantage which made it easier.

If you plan on using all six you probably will win.

How do you guys play challenge mode before beating the game?

Transfer Challenge Key to a game. Once Black 2 gets Challenge Key, it can send it to other Black 2 or White 2 at any point during that game play, even before you start the game.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Burgh wasn't easy, you used an advantage which made it easier.

um

it's how easy it is to exploit the advantage that determines boss difficulty

by that logic, every Pokemon boss not called GSC Janine is difficult by sheer virtue of being overleveled, irregardless of possible strategies you can use to defeat them

gliscor&yanmega

um

it's how easy it is to exploit the advantage that determines boss difficulty

by that logic, every Pokemon boss not called GSC Janine is difficult by sheer virtue of being overleveled, irregardless of possible strategies you can use to defeat them

What exactly do you mean. All I'm saying is using type advantage isn't going to give you much of a challenge for a gym leader, and it's not because of the gym leader that they are easy but because of the choice of using a type advantage.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
What exactly do you mean. All I'm saying is using type advantage isn't going to give you much of a challenge for a gym leader, and it's not because of the gym leader that they are easy but because of the choice of using a type advantage.

You're saying, though, that Burgh wasn't easy, that he was just making him easy. Essentially, you're implying that Gym Leaders are difficult if you ignore basic strategy and game mechanics, because it is outright expected that players will use type advantages against Gym Leaders. That's kind of why GameFreak puts advantageous Pokemon in the area of every Gym: so you can use them.

Gym difficulty is really only decided based on how much of an advantage said strategy and mechanics give you, and how difficult it is to ab/use them. If you ignore strategy and game mechanics, then you could say that every Gym Leader is difficult, not just Burgh.

gliscor&yanmega

You're saying, though, that Burgh wasn't easy, that he was just making him easy. Essentially, you're implying that Gym Leaders are difficult if you ignore basic strategy and game mechanics, because it is outright expected that players will use type advantages against Gym Leaders. That's kind of why GameFreak puts advantageous Pokemon in the area of every Gym: so you can use them.

Gym difficulty is really only decided based on how much of an advantage said strategy and mechanics give you, and how difficult it is to ab/use them. If you ignore strategy and game mechanics, then you could say that every Gym Leader is difficult, not just Burgh.

Type advantage is there for those who want to make the battle easier. Just like using healing items, and other advantages that are given to you to give yourself an easier time if you choose to do so. There's nothing stopping you from not relying on type advantage, or not using healing items, or not using the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent. You can come up with strategies without relying on said stuff. And yes, every Gym Leader has the potential of being difficult, as they do have the potential of being easy, it all depends on how you choose to battle them.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
What on earth are Lenora and Cheren feeding their dogs?

The tears of the crying 10-15 year old kids they've beaten.

To me, the gym leaders are the toughest when they have a way to combat their weaknesses. Like Lenora's Watchog OHKoing your Pignite with a Retaliate after it just took down the Herdier.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Yah, Rock type vs Bug type, that's obviously not going to be a challenge. Burgh wasn't easy, you used an advantage which made it easier.

Exactly.

My team was Combusken, Spheal and Butterfree and Burgh was definitely not easy.
That damn Dwebble.

I could catch a rock-type or Darumaka, but catching a Pokémon just to make a Gym Battle easy is like cheating to me.
I prefer to win with the team I planned before starting the game.

Btw, I am having trouble with Clay now, but it is because I am bit underleveled.
I should evolve Combusken already, but I want to win with it unevolved.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's weird. Clay can be really easy or really tough. His first two Pokemon are a joke but that Excadrill can be menacing

Feh. Clay got me at that point in the game where all of your Pokemon are extra sucky because they're about to evolve. The first time I tried to beat him, he got an attack boost with Metal Claw and 2HKOed my Dewott, which could only 3HKO back. Only GL so far I've had to make two attempts at (besides Burgh, but I beat him the first time and just forgot to save afterward).

And I couldn't paraflinch him, so there's that.

I'm at Virbank city but I'm waiting until I can trade over my Archen and Keldeo that I want to use in my party(both level 15). Going to my friend's house today to use her DS :p

Maybe I was lucky but I thought Cheren was too easy. I took both his pokemon down with just my level 14 Snivy :p

Last edited:

R_N

I love how Burgh gushes and brags about his Dwebble & Leavanny
Gets around the fact that Swadloon is Normal/Assist only and that he has two other dudes in Challenge

munchlaxguy

The Rolling Thunder
I'm at Virbank city but I'm waiting until I can trade over my Archen and Keldeo that I want to use in my party(both level 15). Going to my friend's house today to use her DS :p

Maybe I was lucky but I thought Cheren was too easy. I took both his pokemon down with just my level 14 Snivy :p

I agree Cheren was very easy for me my tepig and riolu beat him I beileve.

Feh. Clay got me at that point in the game where all of your Pokemon are extra sucky because they're about to evolve. The first time I tried to beat him, he got an attack boost with Metal Claw and 2HKOed my Dewott, which could only 3HKO back. Only GL so far I've had to make two attempts at (besides Burgh, but I beat him the first time and just forgot to save afterward).

And I couldn't paraflinch him, so there's that.
I think in Black and White 2 the gym leaders that took me two attempts was just Cheren. Everyone else I beat on my first try IIRC. In BW1 though I lost to Cress, Lenora, and Clay. First gyms always give me issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.