• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Tyranitar isn't a dragon. It's Dragonite, Kingdra, Salamence, and Garchomp. I think Flygon should be in that list as well, he doesn't get enough credit! But I agree, Dragonite is awesome.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Tyranitar isn't a dragon. It's Dragonite, Kingdra, Salamence, and Garchomp. I think Flygon should be in that list as well, he doesn't get enough credit! But I agree, Dragonite is awesome.

Yay, another Dragonite fan! :D I forgot that Tyranitar isn't technically a dragon. I always seem to organize it as one. Speaking of dragons and Dragonite, there is a difference between obsessed with Dragonite and being a Dragonite fan. Lance's first team definitely is on the obsession side, no matter how cool this guy ;149; is.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
higher lvls for all of the Gyms and the Elite Four.

Your wish has been granted. LOL. No, seriously though they bumped up the levels very well for the rematches. The gym leaders get up to 72 and the Elite Four get up to 75. Now that is a level boost!

R_N

Your wish has been granted. LOL. No, seriously though they bumped up the levels very well for the rematches. The gym leaders get up to 72 and the Elite Four get up to 75. Now that is a level boost!

And there's been a general level bump overall, especially to Kanto leaders.

DSDark

Breeder

but sadly the johto leaders didn't get enough of a boost. Whitney got lowered, and Pryce is weaker then Jasmine.

Chaos Rush

Yeah, Mt. Silver has Pokemon in the low 40's, nice "level bump".

And the Johto Gym Leaders hardly got changed, they were raised ONE level on average. Though I'm glad they actually made an effort to improve the Kanto Gym Leaders.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Yeah, Mt. Silver has Pokemon in the low 40's, nice "level bump".

And the Johto Gym Leaders hardly got changed, they were raised ONE level on average. Though I'm glad they actually made an effort to improve the Kanto Gym Leaders.

Yeah, really. I think they finally realized how low the levels were. They may have not changed much, but Kanto is enough to show that they tried to do better.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
More like they raised each leader's Pokemon seven levels and called it a day... I won't complain, though, it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I wished for more too. I was pretty happy that they tried to do something though. They should have done that with the Johto gym leaders too. They needed a fair bit of level raising they didn't get. I guess they tried to improve there with a bit of strategy (Bugsy), but they could've done better. Rematches make things a bit better though.

Chaos Rush

Yeah, really. I think they finally realized how low the levels were. They may have not changed much, but Kanto is enough to show that they tried to do better.
Actually the original problem was that the Kanto Gym Leaders had lower levels than the Elite Four (except Green, and Blaine who's signature was the same level as Lance's), and so GameFreak realized that the Kanto Gym Leaders should be harder than the Elite Four, since it should be the next challenge. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but poor Johto Leaders and their Kanto Pokemon...

Because I was totally talking about the wild pokemon levels.
totally.
general level bump overall

Last edited:
Actually the original problem was that the Kanto Gym Leaders had lower levels than the Elite Four (except Green, and Blaine who's signature was the same level as Lance's), and so GameFreak realized that the Kanto Gym Leaders should be harder than the Elite Four, since it should be the next challenge. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but poor Johto Leaders and their Kanto Pokemon...

I still don't understand though... why they didn't just give Falkner a damn Hoothoot in the original games ten years ago. Or a Spinarak to Busgy. A Misdreavus to Morty. A Hitmontop or Heracross to Chuck. It's sad that half the leaders don't own any Johto Pokemon whatsoever. :/

Chimchar15

I think they should have a HGSS 2.0. It will be mostly the same but improve on all the negative features of HGSS. Yeah I know its not going to happen but let me have the dream.

Chaos Rush

lol mindcrystal

I think they should have a HGSS 2.0. It will be mostly the same but improve on all the negative features of HGSS. Yeah I know its not going to happen but let me have the dream.
Well they did release a Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen 1.1...

But the only difference in the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of FR/LG is that 1.1 fixed a minor glitch in the Pokedex (in 1.0, the species listing would only list 1 word, for instance, it would simply say that Phanpy is a "LONG" species. In 1.1, they fixed it so it would display both words, and so Phanpy would say "LONG NOSE" species).

EDIT: lol, what if the translators notice something about the levels, and so they "edit some stuff" for the international releases of HG/SS :p. Too bad that hasn't happened before...

Last edited:
EDIT: lol, what if the translators notice something about the levels, and so they "edit some stuff" for the international releases of HG/SS :p. Too bad that hasn't happened before...

Under normal circumstances, it'd be pretty annoying if the translators started changing levels and rosters and stuff for no reasons. But it'd be pretty awesome if they raised some levels here and there.

But really, the HGSS 2.0 is not a bad idea at all. I almost wish they didn't add all the Crystal stuff in HGSS so it would've given them an excuse to make a third version other than to increase levels and change Pokemon. I'd even go through the trouble of making a rom hack if I could, if only I knew how to hack a game, much less a DS game.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
Under normal circumstances, it'd be pretty annoying if the translators started changing levels and rosters and stuff for no reasons. But it'd be pretty awesome if they raised some levels here and there.

But really, the HGSS 2.0 is not a bad idea at all. I almost wish they didn't add all the Crystal stuff in HGSS so it would've given them an excuse to make a third version other than to increase levels and change Pokemon. I'd even go through the trouble of making a rom hack if I could, if only I knew how to hack a game, much less a DS game.

I agree with you that HGSS could have been better in the levels respect, and that a third version would have been a good idea. For example, what would fans do if GameFreak remade Ruby and Sapphire but not the clearly much more sufficient Emerald, even if they included aspects of the third game? If those hypothetical leader teams were the same as the notably weaker R/S teams, GameFreak would not be able to stand; its legs would be ripped off.
Clearly a shake up in Pokemon and levels should occur in a remake.

However, despite me being upset with the initial teams, I find that the rematch teams are mostly sufficient. Of course, no one should have to go through the breeze of fighting a Level 48 Pelipper (Falkner) after beating a Level 60 Pidgeot (Green), but given that that said Pelipper has Tailwind, a good strategic team move, GameFreak did not completely sit down and do nothing.

In my opinion, GameFreak felt no need to change the initial gym rosters because it is after all trying to capture the classic feel (though Green has never before owned a Machamp, which makes it understandable to be upset that Bugsy did not even teach his cocoons Bug Bite, let alone evolve them). However, they should have at least made the rematch levels on par with at least Blaine's team (level 54-62). Still, I cannot make a clear judgment of the leaders until I actually play the game.

Edit: Would it be worth spending a year on a Crystal remake to correct the levels?

Last edited: