• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I seriously hate the Johto Gym Leaders... I think their teams are pointless and really wonder why they kept them in HG/SS, it should be the first thing to do! The characters are ok, but their teams are the problem. But let me take them one by one.

First of all, Falkner and Bugsy should have at least ONE Johto Pokemon! Falkner could have a Natu or a Hoothoot and Bugsy could have a Spinarak, a Pineco or a Ledian or at least an evolved cocoon!!!

Whitney seemed ok, but her Pokemon where obviously underleved, like every other gym leader. Morty SHOULD have a Misdreavous, having only one pokemon family (gastly's) was rediculous!

Chuck also should have a Johto pokemon, I'd say Heracross or Hitmontop. Jasmine should NOT have two Magnemites, one would be enough, and could instead have a Scizor or Forretress.

Pryce should have instead of Seel a Sneasel or Delibird, which is absent in trainer battles. And the main problem here was that his pokemon where at almost the same level with Chuck's.. Personally I first beat Pryce, then Chuck, then Jasmine, which is stupid, since the 7th leader is supposed to be very strong.

Lastly, Clair was pretty much improved, since gen2 doesn't introduce other dragon pokemon than Kigndra.. All in all, the teams should include more gen 2 pokemon, be of higher level and have more than two or three pokemon! sorry to be so angry, but they drive me crazy :p

No use crying over spilt milk.

Personally, I find nothing wrong about the teams. Sure, they could be boosted levels, but since they didn't, no use crying over it. Think about it; Red/ Blue asked for really high levels by the end of the game. Around mid-late 50s to early-60s.

Gold/ Silver toned it down more, askin for the player to just go through the journey. Come Elite Four the player's party would be mid-30s to early-40s.

Even FireRed/ LeafGreen realized this and had the E4s levels toned down about 2-3 each Pokémon. May not sound like a lot, but their stats were lower, meaning you even be around late-40s and beat them.

Falkner's team could've changed, but with his level boost, he's a'ight. Bugsy's teamis pathetic, but realize he's good EXP fodder for those on your team who need it. Jasmine was the big roller when you had to face her, as miltank pretty much decimated teams with her uber Rollout, but she was manageable. Morty wouldn't really improve with a Misdreavus, probably bringing complaints about it alon the way after awhile. The 5th, 6th, and 7th gym leaders were meant to be around eachother as they could be fought in any order. Clair was a little easier back ten, her signature move being only DragonBreath. Now in the movepool mix her team is stronger. The E4 are better now that they have a boost after the first time.

What I'm saying is what the game's saying, and probably a much heard song after GHIII; Slow ride, Take it easy

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I find most of the Gym Leaders to be fine, despite the initial disappointment I had. However, there is still one who I find to be completely wrong:

Clair.

Her initial team is fine, and is definitely better than having three Dragonair like in the original games. However, her rematch team is utterly horrible. Having Dragonite, Kingdra, and Dragonair is all fine, in my opinion, and Gyarados is standable. But why give her Charizard and Aerodactyl? Yes, Lance has Salamence and Garchomp, but there's still another completely viable option. Flygon. Both Clair and Lance have non-Dragons, yet neither has Flygon. Here's how I think the teams should have gone:

Clair-Dragonair, Gyarados, Altaria, Flygon, Kingdra, Dragonite
Lance-Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Charizard, Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite

There. That way, everyone goes happy and Lance gets to keep his butt kicking Aerodactyl over an Altaria, which doesn't fit him at all.

And now, I apologize for this complaint, as I realize that there is nothing I can change about it.

AmericanPi

Write on
Well... Falkner is REALLY hard if you picked Chikorita (like me) :(, but his pokemon are still on the pathetic side. He could seriously pwn people who DIDN'T pick Chikorita by getting a Hoothoot and using Hypnosis to make Cyndaquil and Totodile fall asleep.

Mewtwo's Amber

Don't cry Mewtwo
Holy geeze I can not believe how Whitney has been eased up. I remember in my classic Silver years ago I had a bloody hell of a time defeating her and that damn rollout. It took me several tries. Even in my early Crystal files I had trouble with her, and my uncle once at a Christmas gathering on my late father's side of the family even asked to give it a go having no knowledge of pokemon and he lost.

Then in Soul Silver she never even used Rollout once. I poisoned her with my bayleef to make milk drink less useful just in case, again SHE NEVER USED IT! She mostly spammed stomp which against my star pokemon in this battle, my quagsire, did little. She(my quagsire) is impish nature so she also has boosted defense. Miltank went down pretty easily.

Bugsy now was actually pretty tough it took my two tries because damn syther actually managed to faint my pigeotto. Nailed it the second time though.

I am only at ecrotek so I have yet to battle any other gym leaders.

Last edited:

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Falkner - Easy. for my Slugma, just spammed Rock Throw and burned them with Flame Body.
Bugsy - Medium. Scyther did a lot of damage to Murkrow, but I 2HKO'd with Wing Attack.
Whitney - Easy. Hitmontop wrecked her with Technician + STAB + SE Mach Punch.
Morty - Easy. Murkrow OHKO'd them all with critical Assurance's.
Chuck - Medium. Slowpoke wore them down with Confusion, but they wore me down too.
Jasmine - Easy. Phanpy and its Earthquake demolished her.
Pryce. Easy. Hitmontop wrecked him with Technician + STAB + SE Mach Punch.
Clair. Hard. Had to use some X Sp. Def's on Tangrowth so it could stand up to repeated Dragon Pulses.

Will. Easy. Honchkrow OHKO'd them all with critical Night Slash's.
Koga. Easy. Magcargo had SE hits on everyone except Muk.
Bruno. Easy. Slowking swept with Nasty Plot boosted Surf/Psychic.
Karen. Easy. Donphan and Hitmontop destroyed her.
Lance. Hard. His Dragonite's are the only challenge, but Tangrowth set up Leech Seed on them so it helped wear them down.

I'll post later about the Kanto GL's.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Brock. Easy. Despite having high Defense, the only one that stood up to Hitmontop's Mach Punch was Omastar.
Misty. Easy. Though Tangrowth has low Special Defense, most of her team is slow and got smashed by Power Whip.
Lt. Surge. Easy. Gets seriously walled by any Ground type.
Erika. Medium. She would have been easy for any Fire type other than Camerupt/Magcargo (those that don't resist Grass), and they set up Sunny Day for Solarbeam and Chlorophyll.
Janine. Easy. She's a joke of a GL.
Sabrina. Medium. Honchkrow had trouble taking repeated hits from Espeon and Alakazam,not to mention dodging Mr. Mime's Thunder.
Blaine. Easy. Don't stand a chance to a Water type.
Blue/Green. Medium. Though the mixed types in a GL was a nice refresher, and being the strongest GL, he wasn't too bad for my team, who were about the same level. His Machamp is annoying with DynamicPunch though.

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
I thought Falkner's team was pretty fair. It was a typical first gym leader's team. One pathetic pokemon that I assume is the warm up, and then the "challenge" (which, his Pidgeotto was fairly annoying for that point in the game. Darn you, Roost.)

I agree that Morty should've had more diversity in his team. Using only one line of pokemon for the entire battle? That's kinda lame. I'm glad they sort of steered Clair away from that direction. Her team was pretty good, imo. Good and annoying. Lol.

Someone also mentioned that Lance's rematch team sucked...yeah. I agree. Altaria? Really? I mean, I like Altaria for myself, but no, it doesn't really fit Lance or his team. There were so many other pokemon that they could've used to fill that slot. Altaria stood out like a sore thumb. But maybe that's why they gave it to him. To give him the "diversity" that I thought Morty lacked.

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
Someone also mentioned that Lance's rematch team sucked...yeah. I agree. Altaria? Really? I mean, I like Altaria for myself, but no, it doesn't really fit Lance or his team.

Pfft yeah, Altaria is something Clair should've had.

Mayfan

Wh-hoo!
I admit.. I squealed in "Born to Be a Winner" when the Gym Leaders appeared. Every region, Gym Leaders are "meh" to me, I just see them as Leaders and nothing else. But Johto's, I have a connection to them and love them all. And Falker is cute <3 lirl

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
I admit.. I squealed in "Born to Be a Winner" when the Gym Leaders appeared.

I loved that part too! Haha. That was always my favorite part of that opening. :)

AmericanPi

Write on
Okay, I have 16 badges, and I will say how hard the gym leaders were.

Falkner - HARD! I picked Chikorita. He pwned me with Gust and Roost. :(
Bugsy - Medium to hard. Of course, Bug beats Chikorita's Grass, but Bugsy was easier due to his two cocoons.
Whitney - HARD! The hardest gym ever! Her Miltank just crushed me.
Morty - Medium. He used Curse when his Haunters' health was in the yellow zone. :p
Chuck - Easy. I used my trusty Pidgeot and pwned his pokemon.
Jasmine - Easy. Even without Flareon.
Pryce - Medium. His Dewgong kept using Rest. :(
Clair - Medium to Hard. I trained a LOT before the battle, so it wasn't too bad.
Brock - Easy. I pwned him with Golduck.
Misty - Medium. I don't know why.
Lt. Surge - Easy. Meganium can resist Electric attacks.
Erika - Easy. This time, I used Flareon.
Sabrina - Easy. Honchkrow pwns all.
Blaine - Easy. All his pokemon but Rapidash got OHKO'ed by Golduck.
Blue - Hard! His Machamp pwned my Pidgeot with Rock Slide, and his other pokemon were really tough.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
I'm always disappointed when even after the rematches the leaders do not adhere to their own type theme. I mean, there are plenty of Dragon types now, so why do Clair and Lance use Charizard and Gyarados.

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I'm always disappointed when even after the rematches the leaders do not adhere to their own type theme. I mean, there are plenty of Dragon types now, so why do Clair and Lance use Charizard and Gyarados.

There are not really as many Dragon-type Pokemon as you think.

There are only 6 fully evolved non-legendary Dragon-type Pokemon:
Dragonite, Kingdra, Altaria, Flygon, Salamence and Garchomp.

Thus, why not using the dragon-like Pokemon like Charizard and Gyarados? Though, I'm disappointed that neither Lance nor Clair has a Flygon in rematch.

Umbreon's Girl

Scolipede!!!
Falkner was kind of hard because the Onix I traded for wouldn't listen to me half the time since I'd leveled it up too high and didn't have a badge. Out of all the Johto leaders, Clair was the hardest but she was good practice for Lance in the Elite Four. In Kanto the only one that gave me troubles was Blue (Gary) and he can still give me trouble on the Sunday rematch when I'm training up my non best strength Pokemon. I wince every time that Machamp flings its Iron Ball!

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
Falkner was kind of hard because the Onix I traded for wouldn't listen to me half the time since I'd leveled it up too high and didn't have a badge.

Gaaah the same bloody thing happened to me. -_- I didn't take that into consideration before I traded; I was just too excited that I would be able to breeze through Falkner. I mean I beat him eventually, but it took forever thanks to Onix not wanting to obey me all because I didn't have the stupid Zephyr Badge to prove myself or whatever.

I also hate that it has to be named 'Rocky' when you get it. Rofl.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Gaaah the same bloody thing happened to me. -_- I didn't take that into consideration before I traded; I was just too excited that I would be able to breeze through Falkner. I mean I beat him eventually, but it took forever thanks to Onix not wanting to obey me all because I didn't have the stupid Zephyr Badge to prove myself or whatever.

I also hate that it has to be named 'Rocky' when you get it. Rofl.

I know I hate the nickname too, but I don't trade for it because he is rather weak compared to a younger Onix when giving him EVs because to get the level 1 onix, there is plenty of junk to go through and it doesn't have a great nature.

And why do you have two pokemon personalities in you sig B-T-Dubs.

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
And why do you have two pokemon personalities in you sig B-T-Dubs.

First time I took the personality quiz, I got Mew as my result. I took it again several months later, and ended up with Scyther. I agree with both. I'm a mix between those two descriptions.

Jaroda Girl

Female Super Nerd
I love HGSS, but I do not like the idea of having to track down and hunt the Gym Leaders just to get phone numbers, then try to call them at different times. That's my only complaint. Otherwise they're amazing, especially during the rematches.