• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

yeminied

Whitney isn't really that hard. When you develop a strategy that doesn't consist of going in all guns a-blazin' then her strategy falls through the floor.

A Geodude just kills Whitney. She can't do anything to it. After a couple of defence curls she has no chance, minus a critical hit.

You could also try statusing. I know Miltank has a Lum Berry but if you could probably get a second one off. If you have Vulpix you could use confuse ray and then will-o-wisp for the attack drop.

Stat drops are another way to go. If you chose Cyndaquil it will have evolved to Quilava. Then you could fire off a couple of smokescreens and growls and there you go.

It's Clair that's the real mountain to get over. Her Kingdra has only one weakness and that's to a type that is not only scarce but is weak to Kingdra's dragon pulse. Gyarados is a beast to get past unless you have an electric type move. Then you have her two Dragonair's who are by no means easy to get past.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
You could also try statusing. I know Miltank has a Lum Berry but if you could probably get a second one off. If you have Vulpix you could use confuse ray and then will-o-wisp for the attack drop.

It seems like status-affecting moves rarely ever hit their mark though. If you're lucky, a move like Hypnosis or Confuse Ray will work, but most of the time, luck isn't in our favor. I can just imagine how hard it would be to hit that Miltank with two status-affecting moves.

It's Clair that's the real mountain to get over. Her Kingdra has only one weakness and that's to a type that is not only scarce but is weak to Kingdra's dragon pulse. Gyarados is a beast to get past unless you have an electric type move. Then you have her two Dragonair's who are by no means easy to get past.

How did I get past Clair that first time? I don't remember, but I just traded for a Pokemon that knew a Dragon-type attack for every challenge after that initial one. I agree that she's a challenge too, but I figure that by that point, you can just trade for something that can defeat her Kingdra. I think Gyarados was a breeze since most people have a Pokemon with an Electric-type move by then. Those do quadruple damage against Gyarados, so they work well. Her Dragonair are probably easy to beat with Ice-type moves, though I don't recall if I used those against them, myself.

AmericanPi

Write on
Wait a second... I thought this thread died... glad to see it back! :D

Well anyways, I myself managed to beat Whitney with Bayleef's Poison Powder. When Bayleef fainted, I used Pidgeotto's Twister attacks, which actually made Miltank flinch. Thank you, Leafy and Sky! :D

Geekachu

Larry

Whitney isn't really that hard. When you develop a strategy that doesn't consist of going in all guns a-blazin' then her strategy falls through the floor.

A Geodude just kills Whitney. She can't do anything to it. After a couple of defence curls she has no chance, minus a critical hit.

Stat drops are another way to go. If you chose Cyndaquil it will have evolved to Quilava. Then you could fire off a couple of smokescreens and growls and there you go.

I had to teach my Geodude Rock Smash and then just kept using it getting a Defense drop here and there.

Lorde

Did anyone else have trouble against Clair and Lance during that special double battle in the Dragon's Den? I remember battling them in HeartGold and it was hella hard! I partially blame myself for not training my Pokemon very much after the Elite Four, but Clair and Lance were able to overwhelm my rival - and his Pokemon's levels were chosen with the battle in mind. I think they managed to defeat two of my Pokemon before I was able to really counter their Dragons.

EagleEye

yea i had a hard time with Claire and Lance also, my rival's pokemon were dead before i could even get two of there's gone. I ended up using my level 70 lugia and taught it blizzard to kill the dragons. I should have trained mine better at the elite four, they were all in 50's and only one had a ice type move.

Lorde

yea i had a hard time with Claire and Lance also, my rival's pokemon were dead before i could even get two of there's gone. I ended up using my level 70 lugia and taught it blizzard to kill the dragons. I should have trained mine better at the elite four, they were all in 50's and only one had a ice type move.

Geez, that sounds really rough. My Pokemon were a little stronger than yours appeared to have been, yet I still had trouble against those two. Ironically, I didn't have much trouble against Lance when he was by himself at the League. I defeated him the first time and only one of my Pokemon fainted and the second time, even though one of my Pokemon still fainted, I managed to jump in with an Ice-type Pokemon and defeat him. Funny how I beat him that second time without much difficulty, yet I had trouble against him in the double battle, when half of his Pokemon weren't present and I had a helper.

cashuin

Aloha fellow HG/SS players! I am a lot behind all of you, but I finally got my game *I think it is a fake, but that is something else entirely* and, for the moment, have just been playing. My question is this: I beat Janine in Fuscia City's gym but am now stuck IN THE GYM! The walls keep moving so I can not get out of there! I have tried searching all of the guides I can find for an answer but no one seems to have one. Would any of you be kind enough to assist me?
TIA!

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Why does a strong and bulky pokemon like Snorlax give less experience points than some other pokemon? Anyway Red's pokemon have been given very high levels

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I used Jirachi for my SoulSilver playthrough, and I OHKOed Miltank with a +1 Flash Cannon. It can be harder if you're only using in-game Pokemon, though...

Rest of the Gym Leaders were a nice challenge, not too hard nor too easy, though I think Clair could have been more difficult...

Ugh, Claire Is The Worst.
Somehow shes harder in Crystal Version Tho... Idk..

I just hate Gym Leaders Who Use Kingdra. Like, Damn The Thing 1 Hit K-Os Me Everytime.

I had to face her like 10 times until i finally beat her with a lucky Critical Hit.

P.S im never picking Cyndaquil for Starter Again X,x

Lorde

Beating the Johto Gym Leaders is easy if you have a Legendary Pokemon at the start of the games, but most people don't have that luxury unfortunately. I remember transferring Arceus from Platinum version for the Sinjoh Ruins event, but I never used it to battle for some reason (probably because the game would've lost some of the challenge had I used Arceus for all the big battles). I was fully prepared for the Kanto Gym Leaders, however. By the time I battled them, all of my Pokemon had grown so defeating them wasn't that difficult. I think my favorite Kanto Gym Leaders were Misty, Sabrina, and Blaine. I just liked their new outfits for some reason.

lucario beast

hardest johto gym was whitney stupid milktank using atract on my quilava
and clair since typlosion was the only pokemon i trained i had to use a lot of medicines to defeat kingdra
the elite 4 the 1 time was a joke mt typlosion stormed throught it without using a single healing item then when i got to lance i used a garyrados with ice fang to beat him

Lorde

Granted, there was only 4 Ghost-types at the time of Generation II, but I agree Morty should have a Misdreavus or something.

I'm glad that he didn't have a Misdreavus after all. I really wanted him to have one in his HG/SS roster, but I think things worked out well enough without one. I'm sort of upset about Clair's roster in these games, however. Why did they give her a Gyarados? Yeah, it looks like a Dragon-type, but it isn't and it just required me to train a stronger Electric-type Pokemon. I liked her older roster with the three Dragonair and one Kingdra much more than this newer roster, but that's just me.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Everyone's talking about how higher the levels of the leaders should be more than it is now but the fact of the matter is that, there needs to be a way for more trainers to be present to be able to train for all of this. Because to be honest, the gymleaders are more harder now than they were when g/s/c was out.