• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

o_0

Herbalist
I agree that Tyranitar would be an excellent choice for Lance. It would shatter the Elite Four's reputation for being regrettably easy to beat. But yeah, I completely forgot about Arcanine and I have to say that agree with most of your out there who think it belongs on her team. For god's sake, there's MAGMA in your gym, at least own ONE fire-type?

Chimchar15

Falkner
-Hoothoot Lv.12
-Murkrow Lv.12
-Pidgeotto Lv.14
TM 51: Roost

Bugsy
- Butterfree Lv. 20
- Spinarak Lv. 20
- Scyther Lv. 22
TM 62: Silver Wind

Whitney
- Snubbull Lv. 24
- Clefairy Lv. 24
- Miltank Lv. 25
TM 45: Attract

Morty
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Misdrevous Lv. 29
- Gengar Lv. 33
TM 30: Shadow Ball

Chuck
- Heracross Lv. 32
- Hitmontop Lv. 33
- Primeape Lv. 34
- Poliwrath Lv. 38
TM 01: Focus Punch/Brick Break

Jasmine
- Foretress Lv. 34
- Magneton Lv. 37
- Skarmory Lv. 38
- Steelix Lv. 41
TM 23: Iron Tail

Pryce
- Delibird Lv. 38
- Jynx Lv. 40
- Sneasal Lv. 40
- Dewgong Lv. 42
- Piloswine Lv. 44
TM 07: Hail/Avalanche

Clair
- Lapras Lv. 42
- Dragonair Lv. 44
- Arcanine Lv. 46
- Dragonair Lv. 48
- Kingdra Lv. 50
TM 59: Dragon Pulse

Well I had some really minor changes but here you go.

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
Falkner
-Hoothoot Lv.12
-Murkrow Lv.12
-Pidgeotto Lv.14

Bugsy
- Butterfree Lv. 20
- Spinarak Lv. 20
- Scyther Lv. 22

Whitney
- Snubbull Lv. 24
- Clefairy Lv. 24
- Miltank Lv. 25

Morty
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Misdrevous Lv. 29
- Gengar Lv. 33

Chuck
- Heracross Lv. 32
- Hitmontop Lv. 33
- Primeape Lv. 34
- Poliwrath Lv. 38

Jasmine
- Foretress Lv. 34
- Magneton Lv. 37
- Skarmory Lv. 38
- Steelix Lv. 41

Pryce
- Delibird Lv. 38
- Jynx Lv. 40
- Sneasal Lv. 40
- Dewgong Lv. 42
- Piloswine Lv. 44

Clair
- Lapras Lv. 42
- Dragonair Lv. 44
- Arcanine Lv. 46
- Dragonair Lv. 48
- Kingdra Lv. 50

I actually very much like this one 8) I think all Clair's pokemon should be at least 45, but other than that I think its great.

o_0

Herbalist
I'd rather have Karen have Tyranitar. At least we can give her a full team of darks. Also, Tyranitar and 1 or 2 Dragonites seems a bit much.

I forgot about Karen. Her team was very poorly constructed and she needs a signature Pokemon as the last of the Elite Four. They should give Karen the Tyranitar. On another note, I highly doubt Lance will have more than one Dragonite. Gamefreak is more likely to pull a DP Volkner on rather than repeat mistakes of the past.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Falkner
-Hoothoot Lv.12
-Murkrow Lv.12
-Pidgeotto Lv.14

Bugsy
- Butterfree Lv. 20
- Spinarak Lv. 20
- Scyther Lv. 22

Whitney
- Snubbull Lv. 24
- Clefairy Lv. 24
- Miltank Lv. 25

Morty
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Misdrevous Lv. 29
- Gengar Lv. 33

Chuck
- Heracross Lv. 32
- Hitmontop Lv. 33
- Primeape Lv. 34
- Poliwrath Lv. 38

Jasmine
- Foretress Lv. 34
- Magneton Lv. 37
- Skarmory Lv. 38
- Steelix Lv. 41

Pryce
- Delibird Lv. 38
- Jynx Lv. 40
- Sneasal Lv. 40
- Dewgong Lv. 42
- Piloswine Lv. 44

Clair
- Lapras Lv. 42
- Arcanine Lv. 44
- Dragonair Lv. 46
- Dragonair Lv. 48
- Kingdra Lv. 50

A bit too many pokemon. Morty and Chuck should only have 3 pokemon and Pryce should have 4. Also, I personally think Clair should only have 4, but she doesn't have to. Also, I think they'll use DPPt TMs. Otherwise, you did a pretty good job.

On another note, I highly doubt Lance will have more than one Dragonite. Gamefreak is more likely to pull a DP Volkner on rather than repeat mistakes of the past.

I don't think it'll kill them if they put in two Dragonites. Three is too much, though.

Last edited:

Chimchar15

I actually very much like this one 8) I think all Clair's pokemon should be at least 45, but other than that I think its great.
Thanks, and as long as Clair's storngest pokemon is at least level 45 then I'm ok as well.

And thanks Black Doom, but I don't know if the gym leaders should have the same format that the Sinnoh leaders had as they were really really easy to beat and I feel its neccesary to give some leaders more pokemon.

Last edited:

Bardische

Elegance.
Falkner should definitely have something other than the generic Pidgey. A Natu and/or a Hoothoot would be nice. Both or Generation II Pokemon.

As for Bugsy, he should have evolved both his cocoons. I mean, geez, the last trainer you battle in his Gym before him had a Beedrill, while he had a Kakuna and a Metapod :mad:
He should go for a Butterfree and a Beedrill, but that would make his team have all Kanto Pokemon.
Otherwise, he should go for a Ledian and an Ariados, much better alternatives I I do say so myself XD

Whitney needs something more than a Clefairy and a Miltank. How about a Granbull, a Togetic, a Smeargle or even a Tauros? Granbull's a good bet, it had Intimidate. Togetic can be a somewhat her special attacker. Smeargle has any move, so that's almost too overpowered, and Tauros so Miltank won't get lonely, if you guys know what I mean ;)

Morty is already generic as he is. Good riddance to Gastly and one Haunter and hello Misdreavus. That's the best bet so far :D

Chuck needs a Heracross or a Machoke. Seeing as how Chuck is muscly and he squishes bugs for breakfast, I think he would go for a Machoke. Otherwise, he'll go for Heracross XD

No more 2 Magnemite for Jasmine, hopefully. She needs a Forretress and a Skarmory. Seriously. And one Magnemite becomes a Magneton :D

Pryce could go for a Sneasel and a Lapras. One Seel will be kicked out, so he'll have Sneasel, Dewgong, Lapras and Piloswine, in that order.

Clair is BS. She should kick out one Dragonair, and put in a Gyarados. One of her Dragonair would be physical and her other be special. Kingdra should stay, definitely.

Will should remove one Xatu and replace it with an Espeon or something

Koga should remove the Forretress. It wasn't a Poison-type, jeevers...he should get a Weezing instead XD

Karen needs to let go of the Vileplume and the Gengar, she's a Dark-type user for crying out loud. Should definitely have a Sneasel and a Tyranitar, IMO.

Lance should have a team like this: Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Charizard, Dragonite, (insert final evolution of an Elm starter her), Dragonite. Otherwise, he could just get a Kingdra for the other Dragonite. Just because two well-known NPCs in the game have one same Pokemon doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just a Pokemon for crying out loud -________-

Well, that's criticism for yeah, or something XD

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And thanks Black Doom, but I don't know if the gym leaders should have the same format that the Sinnoh leaders had as they were really really easy to beat and I feel its neccesary to give some leaders more pokemon.

It doesn't have to follow the pattern exactly, but close to it. But it's still a little ridiculous for the 4th and 5th gym leaders to have 4 pokemon.

Falkner should definitely have something other than the generic Pidgey. A Natu and/or a Hoothoot would be nice. Both or Generation II Pokemon.

As for Bugsy, he should have evolved both his cocoons. I mean, geez, the last trainer you battle in his Gym before him had a Beedrill, while he had a Kakuna and a Metapod >
He should go for a Butterfree and a Beedrill, but that would make his team have all Kanto Pokemon.
Otherwise, he should go for a Ledian and an Ariados, much better alternatives I I do say so myself XD A lot of people think it'd be too early to have Ariados. Either all of the levels would have to be raised to ridiculous proportions, or Ariados would be a hack (since Ariados evolves at Lv. 22).

Whitney needs something more than a Clefairy and a Miltank. How about a Granbull, a Togetic, a Smeargle or even a Tauros? Granbull's a good bet, it had Intimidate. Togetic can be a somewhat her special attacker. Smeargle has any move, so that's almost too overpowered, and Tauros so Miltank won't get lonely, if you guys know what I mean

Morty is already generic as he is. Good riddance to Gastly and one Haunter and hello Misdreavus. That's the best bet so far

Chuck needs a Heracross or a Machoke. Seeing as how Chuck is muscly and he squishes bugs for breakfast, I think he would go for a Machoke. Otherwise, he'll go for Heracross XD I'd want both. Machoke would be a tough pokemon to beat if they utilize No Guard + Dynamicpunch. Also, this is probably the best place to showcase Heracross. So I'd rather have both and take out Poliwrath.

No more 2 Magnemite for Jasmine, hopefully. She needs a Forretress and a Skarmory. Seriously. And one Magnemite becomes a Magneton Definitely Skarmory, but I'm not so sure Forretress is a good fit. Also, I'd be nice if Jasmine had an actual gym in this game instead of a room like the originals.

Pryce could go for a Sneasel and a Lapras. One Seel will be kicked out, so he'll have Sneasel, Dewgong, Lapras and Piloswine, in that order. I prefer Cloyster instead of Lapras. But either one would work.

Clair is BS. She should kick out one Dragonair, and put in a Gyarados. One of her Dragonair would be physical and her other be special. Kingdra should stay, definitely. It's not like there's much else we can do with her. Maybe Arcanine, but that's about it.

Will should remove one Xatu and replace it with an Espeon or something I'd say Girafarig. Also make Slowbro a Slowking.

Koga should remove the Forretress. It wasn't a Poison-type, jeevers...he should get a Weezing instead XD Why he never had one in the first place is beyond me. He had two in RBFRLG.

Karen needs to let go of the Vileplume and the Gengar, she's a Dark-type user for crying out loud. Should definitely have a Sneasel and a Tyranitar, IMO.

Lance should have a team like this: Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Charizard, Dragonite, (insert final evolution of an Elm starter her), Dragonite. Otherwise, he could just get a Kingdra for the other Dragonite. Just because two well-known NPCs in the game have one same Pokemon doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just a Pokemon for crying out loud -________-

Well, that's criticism for yeah, or something XD

Comments in bold. Also, you should probably make your own list so it's easier to read.

Last edited:

ijea4444

Falkner
-Hoothoot Lv.12
-Murkrow Lv.12
-Pidgeotto Lv.14

Bugsy
- Butterfree Lv. 20
- Spinarak Lv. 20
- Scyther Lv. 22

Whitney
- Snubbull Lv. 24
- Clefairy Lv. 24
- Miltank Lv. 25

Morty
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Haunter Lv. 28
- Misdrevous Lv. 29
- Gengar Lv. 33
TM 65: Shadow Claw

Chuck
- Heracross Lv. 32
- Hitmontop Lv. 33
- Primeape Lv. 34
- Poliwrath Lv. 38
TM 60:Drain Punch

Jasmine
- Foretress Lv. 34
- Magneton Lv. 37
- Skarmory Lv. 38
- Steelix Lv. 41
TM 74: Gyro Ball

Pryce
- Delibird Lv. 38
- Jynx Lv. 40
- Sneasal Lv. 40
- Dewgong Lv. 42
- Piloswine Lv. 44
TM 72: Avalanche

Clair
- Lapras Lv. 42
- Dragonair Lv. 44
- Arcanine Lv. 46
- Dragonair Lv. 48
- Kingdra Lv. 50

Brock used Rock Tomb even though Roxanne had used it too,(and if remember correctly so did Misty/Lt.Surge and Wallace/Wattson) its ok to have two gym leaders in different games to have the same TMs. These pairs of pokemon with Gym Leaders look great, but Gamefreak has a tendency to not do their best to make it better in an other game. (Flint/Volkner's lack of their own pokemon and stuff like that) But since we aren't to expect a Crystal, they might actually make it like the players might want.

Last edited:

CharizardFire6

Charizard Trainer
The Ampharos for Lance is an interesting idea. It gives him much more of a diverse team instead of the repetition of Dragonite.

Pretty much ensured on Lance's team:
Dragonite
Aerodactyl
Gyarados
Charizard

Other candidates:
Ampharos (Outrage) - Would be interesting and diverse for his team.
Feraligatr (Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse) - Able to learn two Dragon-type moves, although shares a type weakness with Gyarados.
Tyranitar (Dragon Claw, Outrage, Dragon Pulse) - Would be very cool and actually provide a challenge against him.
Steelix (Dragonbreath, Dragon Pulse) - Likely not as its already used on Jasmine's team.
Rhydon (Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rush) - Maybe although I do think he should have more Johto-oriented Pokemon.
Lapras (Dragon Pulse) - Possible. But again I'd like to see something from Johto.
Kingdra - No. Claire's signature Pokemon.
Mantine (Twister) - Likely not, shares same type weaknesses as Gyarados.
Arcanine (Dragon Pulse) - Possible, but I'd much rather see it on Claire's team, as she will most likely be handing out the TM for Dragon Pulse.

And that's only if no other Pokemon is able to learn Dragon moves in HGSS.
If I missed anything, just add it on to the list.

EDIT: Added Arcanine.

You forgot that Feraligatr can learn Outrage.

o_0

Herbalist
Comments in bold.

Chuck will only have three Pokemon on his team, not four. Poliwrath is his signature Pokemon in relation to Pidgeotto, Scyther, etc, so you can count on it to stay on his team. Chuck will not get a Machoke/champ because there are two fighting-type trainers in the League: Chuck and Bruno. Due to the major lack of fighting-types, a Machamp will most likely go to Bruno. And because of the major lack of NATIVE fighting-types Chuck's third Pokemon will be Heracross.

Ambassador Art

I really hope the levels are higher and that some of the gym Poke'mon won't have like, four moves all matching its type(s). With a champion of Pokemon around 50, it was laughably easy. I also expect to see some crafty things done with gyms, not carbon copies of what they were in the GBC games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Chuck will only have three Pokemon on his team, not four. Poliwrath is his signature Pokemon in relation to Pidgeotto, Scyther, etc, so you can count on it to stay on his team.

Gym leaders have changed their signature pokemon between games all of the time. Besides, I don't think Poliwrath is such a good pokemon for Chuck's team. Between the two that he has, Primeape is a better fit.

Chuck will not get a Machoke/champ because there are two fighting-type trainers in the League: Chuck and Bruno. Due to the major lack of fighting-types, a Machamp will most likely go to Bruno.

It's not the end of the world if Chuck gets a Machoke. As long as they don't make Chuck look like a clone of Bruno, it's fine.

Chimchar15

They gave Wattason, Flannery, and Norman 4 pokemon in Emerald why not here as well. They also gave Winona 5 pokemon and she was the 6th gym leader.

They gave Wattason, Flannery, and Norman 4 pokemon in Emerald why not here as well. They also gave Winona 5 pokemon and she was the 6th gym leader.
That was the third generation, and it would make sense to stay consistent with how the fourth generation has done their gym leaders.

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!

That was because Gen 3 introduced a lot of new faces and they had vigoroth and slaking with norman, magnemite and electrike's evos in wattsons gym and numel and camerupt in flannery. Winona had a dragon and a steel type (Altaria and Skarmory) but i cant really remember that gym well and as Carlisle said they should keep the roster amount the same as D/P/Pt.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
Gym leaders have changed their signature pokemon between games all of the time. Besides, I don't think Poliwrath is such a good pokemon for Chuck's team. Between the two that he has, Primeape is a better fit.

It's not the end of the world if Chuck gets a Machoke. As long as they don't make Chuck look like a clone of Bruno, it's fine.

I agree with you in him adding a Machoke to his team, but taking out poliwrath thats not right. I know very few gym leaders change their signature pokemon, but they usually have a good reason to do do. This is just crazy.

Skirgedot

Bugsy
- Butterfree Lv. 20
- Spinarak Lv. 20
- Scyther Lv. 22

I just disagree here. Scyther with X-scizzor would be the hell to beat. Silver Wind on him is just stupid. Other than that, its great, the best list so far. Although I highly doubt they'll ever change them, oh well...better dream.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I agree with you in him adding a Machoke to his team, but taking out poliwrath thats not right. I know very few gym leaders change their signature pokemon, but they usually have a good reason to do do. This is just crazy.

Simply put, Poliwrath is not such a good candidate for his signature. It just doesn't fit as well. Besides, how do you explain Koga picking up a team full of Venonats (and one Venemoth) in Yellow and how Wattson never got a Manectric in RS (which he should have had in the first place) until Emerald?

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
Simply put, Poliwrath is not such a good candidate for his signature. It just doesn't fit as well. Besides, how do you explain Koga picking up a team full of Venonats (and one Venemoth) in Yellow and how Wattson never got a Manectric in RS (which he should have had in the first place) until Emerald?

Ok for koga in yellow he got a venomoth because it is suppose to follow the show and in the show he uses a venonat that evolves into a venomoth that is why its his signature pokemon. As for wattson IDK know why, but it also comes from the show because at the end he gets an electrike or it could be because he didn't have any electric pokemon from hoenn.

As for Poliwrath it fits in perfectly because it is a fighting type and It has a varity of moves. Also because the Johto region didn't have a lot of fighting types. Also no other fighting type trainer has a poliwrath so it makes it an individual for him to have to diverse him from other fighters like Bruno.