• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Ok for koga in yellow he got a venomoth because it is suppose to follow the show and in the show he uses a venonat that evolves into a venomoth that is why its his signature pokemon. As for wattson IDK know why, but it also comes from the show because at the end he gets an electrike or it could be because he didn't have any electric pokemon from hoenn.

As for Poliwrath it fits in perfectly because it is a fighting type and It has a varity of moves. Also because the Johto region didn't have a lot of fighting types. Also no other fighting type trainer has a poliwrath so it makes it an individual for him to have to diverse him from other fighters like Bruno.
Emerald did not follow the anime, nor did Ruby and Sapphire. Nor did any game, other than Yellow.

Chuck could have easily had a Hitmontop or a Heracross.

A lot of people think it'd be too early to have Ariados. Either all of the levels would have to be raised to ridiculous proportions, or Ariados would be a hack (since Ariados evolves at Lv. 22).

Crystal had Lv18 Ariados on that route south of Ecruteak, IIRC. It also seems FRLG had Mankey on the route west of Viridian, just like Pokémon Yellow. It's safe to assume they may do the same in HGSS with Ariados, then.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ok for koga in yellow he got a venomoth because it is suppose to follow the show and in the show he uses a venonat that evolves into a venomoth that is why its his signature pokemon.

That still doesn't warrant for an ENTIRE FREAKIN TEAM of Venonats. I can see a minor change in team, but not for his entire team to be retooled.

As for wattson IDK know why, but it also comes from the show because at the end he gets an electrike or it could be because he didn't have any electric pokemon from hoenn.

Again, he should have had it in the first place. Just like Chuck should have had Heracross instead of Poliwrath in the first place.

As for Poliwrath it fits in perfectly because it is a fighting type and It has a varity of moves. Also because the Johto region didn't have a lot of fighting types. Also no other fighting type trainer has a poliwrath so it makes it an individual for him to have to diverse him from other fighters like Bruno.

But there's still Heracross, a Johto region fighting type who deserves the spot much more than Poliwrath. Also, no other fighting type trainer has Heracross so it makes it an individual for him to seperate him from other fighters like Bruno.

Crystal had Lv18 Ariados on that route south of Ecruteak, IIRC.

I just checked, and they were actually Lv. 15. Hopefully they'll keep it in, though. So I guess it's not unreasonable for Bugsy to have it.

Last edited:

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
Emerald did not follow the anime, nor did Ruby and Sapphire. Nor did any game, other than Yellow.

Chuck could have easily had a Hitmontop or a Heracross.

You don't get my point, I know pokemon doesn't follow the anime, but I didn't really know why they put a manetric in his gym for emerald, and I know Chuck could have had anything. As for him having poliwrath it was in the game and it also didn't when they made crystal so why would they change it know.

You don't get my point, I know pokemon doesn't follow the anime, but I didn't really know why they put a manetric in his gym for emerald, and I know Chuck could have had anything. As for him having poliwrath it was in the game and it also didn't when they made crystal so why would they change it know.
Because it's a remake and it's a chance for things to change for the better?

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
That still doesn't warrant for an ENTIRE FREAKIN TEAM of Venonats. I can see a minor change in team, but not for his entire team to be retooled.

Again, he should have had it in the first place. Just like Chuck should have had Heracross instead of Poliwrath in the first place.

But there's still Heracross, a Johto region fighting type who deserves the spot much more than Poliwrath. Also, no other fighting type trainer has Heracross so it makes it an individual for him to seperate him from other fighters like Bruno.

For koga's team they couldn't shrink his roster so they put in the those extra venonats.

As for Chuck I'm not saying he couldn't get a Heracross, but replacing it for poliwrath it would not make any sense, since it's already established for his signature and strongest. Thats like saying replace Morty's Gengar with a Misdreavous just because it's a Johto and it's more deserving because no one has one.

I think a Poliwrath is amuch stronger foe than a Heracross.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a Poliwrath is amuch stronger foe than a Heracross.

Heracross is faster and packs a much more stronger punch than Poliwrath. Not only that, but no one would use a Water-type move on a Poliwrath anyway, so Water Absorb doesn't help it much (as the in-game trainers almost never switch pokémon in and out unless they faint).

Last edited:

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
Chuck should get a Heracross AND a Poliwrath. I think that makes enough sense.

There, everyone's happy now : D

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
For koga's team they couldn't shrink his roster so they put in the those extra venonats.

What are you even saying?

As for Chuck I'm not saying he couldn't get a Heracross, but replacing it for poliwrath it would not make any sense, since it's already established for his signature and strongest. Thats like saying replace Morty's Gengar with a Misdreavous just because it's a Johto and it's more deserving because no one has one.

Here's the thing: Chuck can only have three pokemon. Heracross is a Johto fighter and isn't showcased often, so he's one of them. Machoke would be an excellent fit, especially if they take advantage of No Guard + Dynamicpunch. The last slot would be one of the two that he had in GSC. Honestly, Primeape fits him much better than Poliwrath, so I'd go with him. Therefore, Poliwrath would get edged out.

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
Almost ALL fighting type leader has had Machoke, Chuck shouldn't have one. He should have

Heracross
Primeape
Poliwrath

Seriously, a Machoke is pretty bland.

megaman12

Not Happy
Almost ALL fighting type leader has had Machoke, Chuck shouldn't have one. He should have

Heracross
Primeape
Poliwrath

Seriously, a Machoke is pretty bland.

What about hitmontop?Since its a johto pokemon and since no trainer in his gym has it ,hitmontop would be perfect.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
What are you even saying?

I meant that he had 4 pokemon in the original game so it would be wierd to only fight one or two pokemon this late in the game.

Here's the thing: Chuck can only have three pokemon. Heracross is a Johto fighter and isn't showcased often, so he's one of them. Machoke would be an excellent fit, especially if they take advantage of No Guard + Dynamicpunch. The last slot would be one of the two that he had in GSC. Honestly, Primeape fits him much better than Poliwrath, so I'd go with him. Therefore, Poliwrath would get edged out.

He's the 5th gym leader he could have 4. Plus if anything should get edged out, it should be machoke because he didn't have it in the originals.
His roster would be amazing if he had 4 pokemon and he'll be much more of a challenge.

o_0

Herbalist
Chuck should have three Pokemon! It should have the Primeape, Heracross (only Johto fighting Pokemon not to be in the league) and his signature Pokemon Poliwrath. I have a feeling that it will mostly be the gyms, Karen and Lance that will be getting a roster overhaul. All Will really needs is an Espeon instead of the Xatu and Bruno needs to evolve his Onix into a Steelix.

XcoreAndy

Thinking about Bugsys gym I didn't see one person suggest Yanma which has a good SP Attk in which it could use silver wind(if that is what he'll give out for the TM) Also throw in a Pinsir and it sounds like a decent second gym to me.

Bugsy:
Pinsir
Yanma
Scyther

As for Heracross on Chuck...Heck Yes!