• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Skirgedot

Almost ALL fighting type leader has had Machoke, Chuck shouldn't have one. He should have

Heracross
Primeape
Poliwrath

Seriously, a Machoke is pretty bland.

LOL, are you serious? There was only three fighting gym leaders and as far as I can remember, only Maylene has a Machoke. And that's before the rematch. Brawly had a Machop but it instantly turned into a Machamp in the rematch also. Again, as far as I can remember. *Gotta check it on Serebii*

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
He's the 5th gym leader he could have 4. Plus if anything should get edged out, it should be machoke because he didn't have it in the originals.
His roster would be amazing if he had 4 pokemon and he'll be much more of a challenge.

But most of the time, the 5th gym leader has 3, and Johto certainly shouldn't be an exception. Besides, I think Chuck would be tough enough with only 3 pokemon.

Thinking about Bugsys gym I didn't see one person suggest Yanma which has a good SP Attk in which it could use silver wind(if that is what he'll give out for the TM) Also throw in a Pinsir and it sounds like a decent second gym to me.

Bugsy:
Pinsir
Yanma
Scyther

That is way too overpowered for the second gym.

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
LOL, are you serious? There was only three fighting gym leaders and as far as I can remember, only Maylene has a Machoke. And that's before the rematch. Brawly had a Machop but it instantly turned into a Machamp in the rematch also. Again, as far as I can remember. *Gotta check it on Serebii*

Who bloody cares they overuse the Machop line in general.

Give him a Heracross, Primeape, and Poliwrath.

Bardische

Elegance.
Almost ALL fighting type leader has had Machoke, Chuck shouldn't have one. He should have

Heracross
Primeape
Poliwrath

Bland Machoke is bland. SERIOUSLY.

What about hitmontop?Since its a johto pokemon and since no trainer in his gym has it ,hitmontop would be perfect.

Hitmontop is on Bruno, and most people want signature Pokemon used by important characters to stay the same in HG/SS. Hence why people still keep Poliwrath even though Heracross is better.

He's the 5th gym leader he could have 4. Plus if anything should get edged out, it should be machoke because he didn't have it in the originals.
His roster would be amazing if he had 4 pokemon and he'll be much more of a challenge.

Machoke is bland, okay? He's practically the first Fighting-type Gym Leader who didn't use a Machoke at all, or even a Machop if you count in Brawly. It would just make him more unique, since Machoke is pretty stereotypical in every way :/

Chuck should have three Pokemon! It should have the Primeape, Heracross (only Johto fighting Pokemon not to be in the league) and his signature Pokemon Poliwrath. I have a feeling that it will mostly be the gyms, Karen and Lance that will be getting a roster overhaul. All Will really needs is an Espeon instead of the Xatu and Bruno needs to evolve his Onix into a Steelix.

Everything you just said is what I want to see. Seriously :D

Tyrant Tar

Almost ALL fighting type leader has had Machoke, Chuck shouldn't have one.

Not just every leader, try nearly every fighting-type user!

Poliwrath seems a bit appropriate due to Cianwood City being a port/beach city, and Poliwrath isn't used by many trainers.

These gyms really should have more Gen II Pokemon. There was only 4 of the new Pokemon throughout all 8 Johto Gyms, and no one Gym Leader had more than one. It's not like there was a shortage of new Pokemon of the Gyms' types...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Okay, I'm changing my opinion. I was thinking No Guard + Dynamicpunch for Machoke, but that would just be another hack. Machoke doesn't learn Dynamicpunch until Lv. 51! We'd have enough hacks in this game with Pidgeotto and Ariados (if Bugsy gets one), so I doubt we need one more.

Skirgedot

You're forgetting about the little kids who cry like nuts if they lose to some trainer. They would flood their houses in less than nothing with the Pokémon you're suggesting. Remember: Gamefreak's first target are the young ones. They like to keep things easy. Often they complicate it all after the elite four. So don't stay upset if they end up not being updated at all at first glance: they might appear with all those crazy fully evolved OU top IV'd EV'd perfectly AI teams later in the game so your will of pwning badass Pokémon can be realized.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You're forgetting about the little kids who cry like nuts if they lose to some trainer. They would flood their houses in less than nothing with the Pokémon you're suggesting. Remember: Gamefreak's first target are the young ones. They like to keep things easy. Often they complicate it all after the elite four. So don't stay upset if they end up not being updated at all at first glance: they might appear with all those crazy fully evolved OU top IV'd EV'd perfectly AI teams later in the game so your will of pwning badass Pokémon can be realized.

Then maybe Bruno's Machamp would have No Guard + Dynamicpunch. That'd be challenging enough.

EDIT: Rank up! Now to begin my invasion of the Battle Frontier!

Heracross, Primeape, or Poliwrath aren't a challenge at that stage in the game. In fact, that is the roster I expect to happen.

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
Actually tyrant tar their were a few shortages in the Johto region pokemon roster such as dragon types and fighting types. Their weren't enogh to spread em amongst every gym leader or league member or in fact any special characters.

That doesn't explain Falkner's, Bugsy's, Whitney's, Morty's, Chuck's, Jasmine's, and Pryce's horribly awful rosters.

Bardische

Elegance.

Barry had a Heracross. Aaron had a Heracross. Cool trainers and Ace trainers have AI that could rival that of the E4. Cynthia had a freakin' level 62 Garchomp. It's an Uber for crying out loud. In D/P, it was 66. If you ask me, a simple Heracross can make them whine, but it's just one single Heracross that won't harm anything either way. Honestly, in my point of view, GameFreak doesn't care if kids complain about the games. They want the money, not the tears of little kids.

Okay, I'm changing my opinion. I was thinking No Guard + Dynamicpunch for Machoke, but that would just be another hack. Machoke doesn't learn Dynamicpunch until Lv. 51! We'd have enough hacks in this game with Pidgeotto and Ariados (if Bugsy gets one), so I doubt we need one more.

Well, there's always breeding to help!

And there could also be a Dynamicpunch tutor. Who knows.

That doesn't explain Falkner's, Bugsy's, Whitney's, Morty's, Chuck's, Jasmine's, and Pryce's horribly awful rosters.
I thought Whitney's was okay, we all struggled with her Miltank's Rollout. ^^ Clefairy is fine as well, she just needed another Pokemon.

Morty was SO close to being fine. Seriously, if they had gotten rid of Gastly for Misdreavus, he would have been perfectly fine. :/ Haunter/Misdreavus/Gengar is a fine line up.

Chuck was also close to being good, if they could have replaced that Machoke for a damn Heracross.

Falkner, Bugsy, Jasmine, Pryce, and Clair all failed on multiple levels.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well, there's always breeding to help!

And there could also be a Dynamicpunch tutor. Who knows.

True, I forgot about that. But No Guard + Dynamicpunch is probably better with Bruno anyway because of what Skirgedot about the little kids. They won't make it that hard.

Chuck was also close to being good, if they could have replaced that Machoke for a damn Heracross.

Chuck didn't have a Machoke. He just had Primeape and Poliwrath.

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
I thought Whitney's was okay, we all struggled with her Miltank's Rollout. ^^ Clefairy is fine as well, she just needed another Pokemon.

Morty was SO close to being fine. Seriously, if they had gotten rid of Gastly for Misdreavus, he would have been perfectly fine. :/ Haunter/Misdreavus/Gengar is a fine line up.

Falkner, Bugsy Jasmine, Pryce, and Clair all failed on multiple levels.

Yeah, those three were all close. But seriously, there was no reason why they couldn't have added those pokemon you suggested. Most of those leaders just needed, and still need, ONE other pokemon. Except for those last 5, who really need complete revamps. :/