• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders / Elite Four Discussion

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
I didn't like the striaton gym leaders much and they were pretty easy... but I liked Cress in the show... His style was impressive and he battled really well...
But in the game apart from Elesa the rest were a joke...I hope their pokes' level is higher in the third game and be more of a challenge. Same for the elite four

Grei

not the color
I disagree with everyone who is saying they were a joke.

I think these Gym Leaders were actually more challenging than previous Gym Leaders. Chances are, the only instances where they should be easy is where you specifically planned for them, or when you were overleveled. Obviously, if you overlevel, your Pokemon are going to wipe the floor with the Gym Leader.

Aegon

I disagree with everyone who is saying they were a joke.

I think these Gym Leaders were actually more challenging than previous Gym Leaders. Chances are, the only instances where they should be easy is where you specifically planned for them, or when you were overleveled. Obviously, if you overlevel, your Pokemon are going to wipe the floor with the Gym Leader.
Please; you were given a Pokémon with an advantage over the first Gym Leader, Burgh was a breeze if you had a Fire-type or Flying-type move on hand, Clay wasn't too bad, Skyla was laughable, while Brycen was the bearer of the Ice-type, which is very poor defensively.

The only three that could generally be considered difficult are Lenora, Elesa and Drayden or Iris. The advent of reusable TMs made Gym Leader a lot easier, and so the Gym Leaders are in dire need of an upgrade in the future to account for this.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I don't have a problem with any Gym Leader, except for Brycen. I hate that guy with a burning passion. Why?

1. He's the third Ice type Gym Leader in the 7th Spot.
2. His name is Brycen, Brycen sounds eeriely similar to Pryce.
3. His gym is just another "slide around on the ice" puzzle.

And to boot, the last gym is Dragon, the same as HGSS. I'm not complaining about those because they don't have as many striking similarites to Clair, not to mention the character differs with version.

I just wish Game Freak would make a Dark gym, break the streak since Gen. 2, though they'll probably relegate it to Elite Four status for a while.

They also didn't need to bring back Caitlin, completely unneccesary imho.

Last edited:
The Striation triplets were tough man. I mean, I refused to use the monkey they gave me so it was really hard taking down a Lillipup, and a monkey I'm weak too with just my starter.

Twidragon

To the Power of 27
In the first run of Black, I refused to look up any information prior to playing other than what some Pokemon look like.

I had a Emboar, Zebstrika, Siglyph, Jelicent, Leavanny, and an Excaldrill

The gyms where a bit easy at times, letting the gyms sit in areas with Pokemon that are good against there types. I was able to breeze through everything from Skyla and so on. The first few on my first run where annoyingly hard.

Super LV

I found Lenora to be really hard, Retaliate destroyed me.

N was easy but Ghestis' Hydreigon had super effective moves and could 1-hit my Emboar, Simisage, Stoutland, Druddigon and Reshiram and it could 1-hit my Unfezant with Dragon Pulse.

G50

No longer posting
1. Your favorite gym leader/elite four - Definitely the Triplet Brothers, tough challenge; yet very cool facing a different one depending on the chosen starter.

2. The hardest gym leader/elite four - The Psychic-trainer of the E4. It took several tries just to beat her.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Lenora was hard,just like Elesa.But the Gym Leaders are pretty weak.And the E4 should have remade their team.Instead,they just added two non-Unova pokemon.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I loved the Elite Four, but Shauntals bow is quite... wtf-ish.
Caitlin was awesome! Her hair and the hearts and the fact that her Vs-Sprite focking yawns right at your face!

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I loved the Elite Four, but Shauntals bow is quite... wtf-ish.
Caitlin was awesome! Her hair and the hearts and the fact that her Vs-Sprite focking yawns right at your face!

LOL on the wtf.I don't like Caitlin though,in fact I hate the whole E4 (including Alder).

Lethal Llama

Random Trainer
I'm just going to go with difficulty since every Gym Leader's personality would take a while. This is only accounting for my personal playthrough witha team consisting of Emboar, Lilligant, Carracosta, Galvantula, Bisharp and Braviary.

Cilan/Chili/Cress: 4/10
Suitably challenging for the start of the game but I was disappointed in how simple it was made by the gift monkey.

Lenora: 5/10
Wow what a bump up. Normal type Leaders always put up a fight. However she was not too bad for me because Petilil took down Herdier and I sacrificed her against Watchog's Retaliate to bring in my fresh Pignite. Lenora was stupid and spammed Crunch so I won quite easily.

Burgh: 2/10
Swept with Flame Charge. Nuff said.

Elesa: 10/10
Oh dear god the memories... My team at this point consisted of Petilil, Tirtouga and Pignite. ALL of whom had a weakness to Emolga. Even worse was that the AI was playing mind games with me and zigging when I zagged. If I tried to turn the tables with tactics and prediction Elesa would go for the simple option and counter it. Probably my most difficult Gym battle ever.

Clay: 8/10
A surprisingly high rating for Clay, I know. But yet again it came down to my team. Tirtouga and Pignite had easily exploited weaknesses and my Petilil was still unevolved and unable to take Excadrill alone. Eventually I lucked through thanks to Tirtouga's Quick Claw.

Skyla: 1/10
Oh God she was a joke. My Galvantula swept her. Whose bright idea was it to put the Flying Gym Leader after an Electric cave? Seriously? And even worse was her signature Pokemon was a WATER and Flying type. Poor Skyla drew the short straw on Gym placement.

Brycen: 3/10
An improvement on Skyla but still very ineffective. Emboar destroyed him. The only reason he got a slightly higher rating was because Cryogonal put up a fight.

Iris (played White): 7/10
A bit of a letdown really. When I first saw her team layout I was worried and the Gym Trainers themselves were surprisingly tough so I was expecting a lot of her. I was challenged but still unimpressed. Her team would be a lot better in variation and challenge if Fraxure was replaced by a Zweilous.

And now the E4, including the two Plasma heads. My team at this point was Rufflet, Pawniard, Lilligant, Carracosta, Galvantula and Emboar, all level 48.

Caitlin: 6/10
When I saw the team layout of all the Elite 4 members I was afraid. Those were some tough Pokemon I was going up against. But Caitlin was... lacklustre. Reuniclus was just too slow to land a hit, Musharna took a while to kill but didn't cause too much damage, Sigilyph fell instantly to Galvantula and Gothitelle just spammed Calm Mind. Pawniard and Galvantula were all I needed for this fight.

Shauntal: 9/10
Most of Shauntal's team were fairly easy. Cofagrigus was walled by Pawniard, Jellicent fell to Galvantula, Lilligant ended Golurk and..... I was swept by Chandelure. Damn her for covering her weaknesses! This marked the first and only time I've lost to an Elite 4 member since Drake in Ruby. Yet again Carracosta's Quick Claw pulled through though.

Grimsley: 5/10
Yes, even easier than Caitlin. The only Pokemon who put up any kind of a fight was Scrafty and one Pokemon does not a team make. Seriously, Liepard? Why does Game Freak hate Zweilous so much? Bisharp does have mammoth attack and a good movepool but it had a glaring weakness easily exploited by its poor speed. Same with Krookadile.

Marshal: 8/10
Throh? No problemo. Sawk? STUPID STURDY Y U NO DIE!!! But he was revenge killed. Mienshao missed Hi Jump Kick and I lol'd and KO'd it. Conkeldurr was extremely powerful and bulky but by this stage it was 5 vs 1 and collective effort took down the beast.

N: 4/10
Once you get past Reshiram which I did without too much trouble, N's team is rather weak. Vanilluxe is easy, Carracosta is easy, Klinklang is easy. Zoroark signed its own death warrant when it came out as Klinklang against my Emboar. Archeops put up a fight but it wasn't enough.

Ghetsis: 8/10
And here we are. Mr Harmonia himself. Ghetsis has a much tougher team than N, and he doesn't even abuse a legend! Though admittedly he hacks. But still. Cofagrigus just can't fight Pawniard, Bouffalant is tough and bulky but eventually fell. Both Seismitoad and Bisharp have glaring weaknesses. Next up is Eelektross. A toughie but it fell to my Rufflet of all things. And finally... Hydreigon. I had saved my Galvantula throughout the battle as my only hope to take on the hacked dragon with his higher speed and type advantage. Unfortunately Signal Beam did only half. But... it was confused! The first time Signal Beam confuses and its on Hydreigon. Hydreigon hits itself and I win.

Galvantula is super awesome.

Skyla: 1/10
Oh God she was a joke. My Galvantula swept her. Whose bright idea was it to put the Flying Gym Leader after an Electric cave? Seriously? And even worse was her signature Pokemon was a WATER and Flying type. Poor Skyla drew the short straw on Gym placement

Same idea as the person who had the idea to put the ground gym next to an ice area, a normal gym near an area with a bunch of fighting Pokemon, and the person who gave you the gift monkey for the 1st gym

Killer_Flygon

I actually had a bit of trouble with Skyla, but I blame that's only the count I wanted to take her down with my newly caught Joltik. Other than her I didn't have too much problem with the Gym Leaders (even known "that one boss" Elesa).

The E4 is where my love for the Scrafty family truly grown. Destroyed 3 out of the four elite members with little/no problem. Serperior finished off Marshal with the good old Coil+Leech Seed combo. N was bland and I curb-stomped the hell out of Ghetsis' entire team with just my Excadrill only via Sword Dancing in Cofagrigus' face until I was at +6.

In-game team: :560::497::561::530::593::596:

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
I almost never use a strategy against gym leaders. I usually don't have much trouble with them. But with Elite Four, I almost always have super effective pokemon leading the team.

The nice thing I always found about B/W was that you can find Pokemon types that are the Leader's weakness in the area before the gym.

visoredespada

Lucky PKMN Breeder
I think Ghetsis is pretty Good.
I Beat him with 6 six pokemon in my party (Just use 5)
And the Highest level is 48.
It's Pretty hard battle, But i win it