• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I really wish some of these gym leaders and E4 actually had a story. some of them do, but the ones that don't, like olympia, feel really 2D. (in a 3D game i know) It just feels sad to just battle them and never interact with them again.

MosuGoji

RIP Jared
For me, the easiest gym leader was definitely Ramos. I managed to solo him with a 4 HP Talonflame, although the typing definitely had something to do with it.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The Pokemon League Castle left me awe-struck. Felt amazing being in that place for the first time. Combined with the music, and those massive chambers reflecting each member's type..Classy stuff.

And while the difficulty was just right for me, I think their teams could've been better.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
For me, the easiest gym leader was definitely Ramos. I managed to solo him with a 4 HP Talonflame, although the typing definitely had something to do with it.

Ramos was easy for me to beat as well, mostly because I had two Fire-types on my team. Korrina was pretty easy too since I had a Flying-type and Psychic-type; I think I only had to use the former against her, that's how easy she was to defeat. The Gym Leaders in general were easy, and I suppose I should be glad; at least there wasn't a Whitney-esque Gym Leader in this region. :p

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I'm with the majority on this one. For the most part, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four were really boring and not that challenging compared to previous generations. It's like once you beat them, you never see or hear from them again. I liked it when they actually do something, which would make them more memorable.

I also really wished their teams were a bit better. Take Olympia for example, she uses Meowstic as her ace. Since gym leaders in a new region tend to use a new pokemon as their ace, there were only two other pokemon that could have been her ace instead, and I honestly think both would have been better choices than Meowstic. Drasna of the Elite Four also deserves a mention, because I think she could have used better dragons than Altaria and Druddigon. I would mention others, but that would take forever to explain.

Again, like others have mentioned, I would like them to use more than three pokemon again. It would be nice to see some variety once more.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I don't like how the Gym Leaders don't have full teams. At least put in 5. It only takes what, 30-50 minutes from the start of the game to Viola? Surely with XY's pace, you could have caught a full team already by then, and leveled them all up to at least Lv12 even without the Exp Share. The Elite Four are even worse. Only 4 Pokémons?? What's wrong with you people? You're the Elite Four, the strongest trainers in the region, only below the Champion. You're not supposed to let us easily take the title of Champion.

And these Gym Leaders and E4 and the Champion should actually do something about the main baddies. Lance did something against Team Rocket, but the main character still did most of the work. Alder didn't much either... No, he and his E4 didn't even do anything. Only Unova's Gym Leaders were brave enough to actually help do something against Team Plasma, but only pre-time skip. 2 years later, a revived Team Plasma tries to freeze Unova, and the main character gotta do everything himself/herself. In XY, Sycamore and Diantha knows Lysandre, but they do complete jack diddly doo.

The way I look at it, being a Champion means nothing anymore. Who cares if I beat all the Gym leaders and Elite Four and become Champion? I single-handedly stopped an entire group of terrorists wanting to take control of the region/world, and have the Legendary Pokémons under my control at such a young age. What did the Diantha do other than sit on her buttocks all day and look pretty on camera?

/sorry for the rant. Just how I felt about most of the Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Champions.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'll agree with you there. But to be honest, a lack of E4/Gym Leader involvement has been the case throughout the generations (which is why it was so nice to see it differently in BW, and to a lesser extend B2W2). There's only the few other cases here and there where they are shown to live outside the gym or league, e.g. Jasmine, Lance, Wallace I guess in RS? HGSS did well in adding the gym leader phone numbers business so you could see them in the overworld and get more info about them. That developed them nicely. So it was a disappointment to see X&Y take a step backwards.

bookauthor1123

Changing Altitudes
I think you have a point there with how X & Y kind of went a little backwards. It might have a lot to do with the new interface Nintendo had to work with. I'd think that if you had this big idea of a lot of new things to add to a new 3D game, then you sort of lose sight of the smaller things from the past that made the games what they've been so far.

As for Gym Leaders, I think I don't have to repeat how the lack/omitting of a Dark-Type Gym Leader is somewhat disappointing. They should've gone ahead and added Gym types that haven't been around for a while. Not to mention that, to me at least, most of the Gyms seem a little too easy to overcome. I stress that by saying how you could even take on Ramon even without the use of Fire/Flying types. Considering how much Grass types have to overcome advantage wise, that Ramon would at least pack on more Pokemon, have stronger ones, or even be an E4 or a later gym by himself.

Favorites wise, I have a small fangirling moment when Korrina is mentioned >__>

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you have a point there with how X & Y kind of went a little backwards. It might have a lot to do with the new interface Nintendo had to work with. I'd think that if you had this big idea of a lot of new things to add to a new 3D game, then you sort of lose sight of the smaller things from the past that made the games what they've been so far.
That's a fair point, but nonetheless a disappointment that some stuff falls by the wayside. And it's happened in previous generations too. Look at say HGSS to BW: neat stuff like the bottom screen interface, the lack of need to hold B to run, the follow me feature... gone. Or the Poketch from DPPt. I suspect a lot of it also has to do with Game freak really often working in two (or maybe even more?) groups split up on different Pokemon projects - some stuff just doesn't transfer due to that, perhaps. (And btw, Game Freak made the games, Nintendo just publishes. =p)

Daveo100

I like Chesse
The Elite Four in this game is to easy only 4 pokemon is to easy but the champion is a bit harder

Au Au

A lil bit ditzy
It would be so much better if in the next games, the E4 and Gym Leaders could be rebattled in the Chateau having full teams, with items, and a higher AI.

bookauthor1123

Changing Altitudes
That's a fair point, but nonetheless a disappointment that some stuff falls by the wayside. And it's happened in previous generations too. Look at say HGSS to BW: neat stuff like the bottom screen interface, the lack of need to hold B to run, the follow me feature... gone. Or the Poketch from DPPt. I suspect a lot of it also has to do with Game freak really often working in two (or maybe even more?) groups split up on different Pokemon projects - some stuff just doesn't transfer due to that, perhaps. (And btw, Game Freak made the games, Nintendo just publishes. =p)

And even thinking of it like that, imagine how much Game Freak thank you for the correction, btw ^^; loses just by doing so. I bet that would be a major downfall production wise considering all of the key elements that are now being tossed aside and forgotten. What I think Game Freak (and all gaming companies, really) needs is a team that looks back at all the aspects of older games and then divides up smaller teams to make sure these elements are added and kept in newer versions. That way, if something does need to b revamped or revisited for content value, you won't lose out on the bare necessities for the games.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Probably a silly thing to pick at, but I kind of wish the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and Champion in XY had animated 3D models like the members of Team Flare/rival characters/Sycamore when you battle them (the intro battle screen with "___ wants to battle."). I could understand the generic Trainer classes initiating the battle with a static 2D picture, but why couldn't GF go an extra mile for the Gym Leaders/etc and animate them? That would've been wicked sweet! Don't get me wrong; I already thought seeing the 2D art was a cool way of showing the "___ wants to battle." screen, but I had always assumed from the first battle with Shauna at the beginning of the game that non-generic characters (sans Team Flare) would get animated 3D models during a battle. I hope they decide to do that come Pokemon Z (or whatever the third game will be called). :(

bookauthor1123

Changing Altitudes
I'd honestly be more upset if the third game wasn't called Z ... Like if they called it ... Pokemon Beta or something...

Actually, that might e a little cool lol.

Pokemon X & Y , then Pokemon Z;

Then they let out Pokemon Alpha & Beta, and go into Delta or Theta. That's just wishful thinking though.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I'd honestly be more upset if the third game wasn't called Z ... Like if they called it ... Pokemon Beta or something...

Actually, that might e a little cool lol.

Pokemon X & Y , then Pokemon Z;

Then they let out Pokemon Alpha & Beta, and go into Delta or Theta. That's just wishful thinking though.

Or maybe they'd call it Pokémon W. For World. And it would be an MMORPG.

But I'm guessing that's just even more wishful thinking.

@MonMonCandie

That depends, really. The 3DS is clearly seen to be struggling with 3D models, as the sudden decrease in frame rate would attest to. I'd like more 3D models of people too, but if it means slower game play, even for just a few seconds, then just give me the regular paper cut outs.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Has anyone addressed the fact that Olympia is most certainly a Time Lord? And that her gym is definitely a TARDIS?

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Has anyone addressed the fact that Olympia is most certainly a Time Lord? And that her gym is definitely a TARDIS?

one thing i can say she's a fortune teller from the looks of it

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
When the Kalos Gym leaders started being leaked, I immediately thought she was Fantina's sister or at least a relative, due to the way they are both dressed, the types of Gym they both have (Ghost for Fantina, Psychic for Olympia), their names, and the fact that Olympia is in Kalos, which is based on France, and Fantina having a French accent (in the anime) and her dialogue ingame. There's no hints supporting this anywhere in X/Y, but maybe in Z, Fantina might visit Kalos and mention that she is Olympia's sister or something.*

Favorites wise, I have a small fangirling moment when Korrina is mentioned >__>

I have a total crush on Alexa and Viola! Even Serena's mom. Just watch the anime, and you'll know what I'm talking about... Gosh, I'm such a perv <_< >_>
Also, ingame rival Serena without the hat. So cute!! XD

Anyways, I was pretty disappointed Blue was only mentioned by NPCs, and not interactable with. Also, that lady only said he was Oak's grandson. Didn't even mention he used to be Kanto's Champion for a bit, then became Viridian City's Gym leader. >:/
Also, no Cynthia. What the heck. She's been in every main game since D/P/P, and she's just not in XY all of sudden. Better bring her back in Z, Gamefreak! I want my Cynthia in every game!

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
When the Kalos Gym leaders started being leaked, I immediately thought she was Fantina's sister or at least a relative, due to the way they are both dressed, the types of Gym they both have (Ghost for Fantina, Psychic for Olympia), their names, and the fact that Olympia is in Kalos, which is based on France, and Fantina having a French accent (in the anime) and her dialogue ingame. There's no hints supporting this anywhere in X/Y, but maybe in Z, Fantina might visit Kalos and mention that she is Olympia's sister or something.*

I have a total crush on Alexa and Viola! Even Serena's mom. Just watch the anime, and you'll know what I'm talking about... Gosh, I'm such a perv <_< >_>
Also, ingame rival Serena without the hat. So cute!! XD

Anyways, I was pretty disappointed Blue was only mentioned by NPCs, and not interactable with. Also, that lady only said he was Oak's grandson. Didn't even mention he used to be Kanto's Champion for a bit, then became Viridian City's Gym leader. >:/
Also, no Cynthia. What the heck. She's been in every main game since D/P/P, and she's just not in XY all of sudden. Better bring her back in Z, Gamefreak! I want my Cynthia in every game!

Fantina is English in JP, Psychic has no connection to Ghost, I don't really see them similar, simply a name doesn't mean that they are related (see Bertha, Agatha), so don't count on it.

Serena looks infinitely better than Yvonne or whatever her official name is.

Meh, I don't want Blue to appear, Prof. Rowan has a higher chance than them, IMO, since Sycamore was his student, and Rowan was mentioned a lot more than any of them.

Anyway, favorite Leader is Viola, followed by Grant.
IMO, Grant and Korrina is kinda cute.

But, Siebold cooking was kinda random.
When that was said I expected him to be the Animé's Brock this time around, but les not delve into that<_<

Status
Not open for further replies.