• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
Viola is my favorite gym leader, she was PERFECT. :p
Ramos is usually the most challenging though, Seriously does that jumpluff even know any moves besides acrobatics?

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
@MonMonCandie

That depends, really. The 3DS is clearly seen to be struggling with 3D models, as the sudden decrease in frame rate would attest to. I'd like more 3D models of people too, but if it means slower game play, even for just a few seconds, then just give me the regular paper cut outs.

True. That's true. Well, maybe as they proceed with the third game, Game Freak might figure out how to work with the 3D models better. I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything on it, but it's a hope. :)

Anyways, I noticed something when my family and I were at Ikea the other day. At our Ikea store, they sell these plants called Pachira Aquatica. What is a Pachira Aquatica and why am I bringing this up?

1) Pachira is Malva's Japanese name.

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachira_aquatica
Role in East Asian culture

In East Asia, Pachira aquatica (Chinese: 馬拉巴栗; pinyin: Mǎlābā lì; literally "Malabar chestnut") is often referred to as the "money tree" (發財樹 fācái shù). The tree had long been popular as an ornamental in Japan. In 1986, a Taiwanese truck driver first cultivated five small trees in a single flowerpot with their trunks braided. The popularity of these ornamentals took off in Japan and later much of the rest of East Asia. They are symbolically associated with good financial fortune and are typically seen in businesses, sometimes with red ribbons or other auspicious ornamentation attached.

Can I say Game Freak may have thought that through with Malva's Japanese name? It certainly alludes to another point that she is indeed a member or ex-member of Team Flare (besides the obvious hints in the game). I could be grasping at straws, but I just had to say something because it was so interesting! lol xD

Clearly I am a Malva fan.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Anyways, I noticed something when my family and I were at Ikea the other day. At our Ikea store, they sell these plants called Pachira Aquatica. What is a Pachira Aquatica and why am I bringing this up?

In East Asia, Pachira aquatica (Chinese: 馬拉巴栗; pinyin: Mǎlābā lì; literally "Malabar chestnut") is often referred to as the "money tree" (發財樹 fācái shù). The tree had long been popular as an ornamental in Japan. In 1986, a Taiwanese truck driver first cultivated five small trees in a single flowerpot with their trunks braided. The popularity of these ornamentals took off in Japan and later much of the rest of East Asia. They are symbolically associated with good financial fortune and are typically seen in businesses, sometimes with red ribbons or other auspicious ornamentation attached.

Can I say Game Freak may have thought that through with Malva's Japanese name? It certainly alludes to another point that she is indeed a member or ex-member of Team Flare (besides the obvious hints in the game). I could be grasping at straws, but I just had to say something because it was so interesting! lol xD

i can say its possible, oh yeah i was thinking did the gym leaders here got mixed up, cause from what i've seen so far, valerie says she came from johto, then drasna came from sinnoh.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
True. That's true. Well, maybe as they proceed with the third game, Game Freak might figure out how to work with the 3D models better. I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything on it, but it's a hope. :)

Clearly I am a Malva fan.

Crap, I was gonna post this since they sold them at our Ikea too :/

Anyway, it being called a money tree and it appearing in businessess may also have to do with how she is the Holo Caster announcer and how she obviously appears to be rich.

altars

Legendary Collector
Here is my opinion on this gens gym leaders and elite four.

I was sorely disappointed this time around. Like many have said here, the suspense was lacking. I felt like everything was too easy and the game itself was pretty short-lived for me. Usually I have to spend at least thirty minutes training before a gym because I whizz through a game so fast, but not this time!

However the openings to the elite-four were a nice surprise. They were pretty well done! Probably my favorite part of any of the 'major' battles in this game.

I guess the new features kinda balance the poor challenges I got from the big battles in the game.

Spoiler isn't working for me for some reason. :L

Last edited:

ConUxie223

Kalos Trap Queen
Has anyone else realized that each Champion past and present are capable of using Mega-Evolution on at least one of their Pokémon?

Blue- Mega Alakazam, Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl

Lance- Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Charizard

Wallace- Mega Gyarados (He could be used a lot...)

Cynthia- Mega Garchomp, Mega Lucario,

Alder- Wow, he's actually the only exception from this... Then again he wasn't really much of a Champion to start with :/

Iris- Mega Aggron

Diantha- Mega Gardevoir (obviously)

So yeah, every Champion except Alder could use Mega Evolution even Red since he has every Kanto starter

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Has anyone else realized that each Champion past and present are capable of using Mega-Evolution on at least one of their Pokémon?

Alder- Wow, he's actually the only exception from this... Then again he wasn't really much of a Champion to start with :/

Iris- Mega Aggron

So yeah, every Champion except Alder could use Mega Evolution even Red since he has every Kanto starter

oh wait why didn't i noticed it in the first place, i wish alder has one

Firebrand

Indomitable

Alder can't because his team is exclusively Gen V and there were no gen V megas. It had nothing to do with his aptitude.

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
My favorite was siebold he seems so good with the water

Buttons

Mountain Trainer

Iris- Mega Aggron

You missed champion Stephen from Ruby/Sapphire. He could have used Mega Aggron.

But I just thought about something, a Medicham can almost solo the Elite Four of X/Y if it has Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Force Palm/Drain Punch, and something to handle the fire trainer. Wouldnt know how well it would do against the champion. Is there a single pokemon that can solo the entire elite four and champion like Blaziken could in Ruby?

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
You missed champion Stephen from Ruby/Sapphire. He could have used Mega Aggron.

But I just thought about something, a Medicham can almost solo the Elite Four of X/Y if it has Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Force Palm/Drain Punch, and something to handle the fire trainer. Wouldnt know how well it would do against the champion. Is there a single pokemon that can solo the entire elite four and champion like Blaziken could in Ruby?

His name was Steven actually, but yeah, I pretty much agree with the gist of your post. I found the Kalos Elite Four to be really easy and I might actually try and use just one Pokemon to solo them in the future. I actually used just Blaziken against the Hoenn Elite Four in Sapphire, so I want to repeat the process in X version.

shadowF

the elite four was weak I beat them in one try only siebold was a challenge and especially the champion diantha was really weak. I beat her Goodra, Tyrantrum and Hawlucha with one attack ko from my mega charizard X using dragon claw, I then beat her Gourgeist and Aurorus with one flare blitz each, so I beat 5 of her pokemon with mega charizard X doing a KO each time! I then switched my mega charizard X for the last pokemon and used talonflame which beat her mega gardevoir using 3 steel wings! My point is that this time the champion was no challenge at all or the elite four which is disappointing.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
His name was Steven actually, but yeah, I pretty much agree with the gist of your post. I found the Kalos Elite Four to be really easy and I might actually try and use just one Pokemon to solo them in the future. I actually used just Blaziken against the Hoenn Elite Four in Sapphire, so I want to repeat the process in X version.
After level 80 my Medicham could solo the entire elite four and the champion. The only tricky things are the Probopass and Aegislash from the Steel trainer. My Medicham build was:
Medicham - Pure Power
Medichamite 31/31/31/x/31/x max EV in speed and attack, remainder in HP
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Brick Break
Zen Headbutt

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Only fought Viola so far, but she was an utter joke. Partly because my Fletchling was Lv. 14 by the time I reached her, but that was still too easy even with that in mind. I had more problems with the first trainer using Supersonic than anything Viola threw at me.

Also, not being able to leave the gym until you beat Viola is just plain evil.

*Kyurem*

Something I just realized while looking back at Pokemon XD, Chobin and Clemont are very similar in appearance (The glsses at least bear some resemblance) and their inventive personalities. Probably just a coincidence, but looking back at XD, X/Y did a lot of the same things XD did! It was technically the first 3D Pokemon game (Well, Colosseum was, but XD was its sequel) even if it wasn't on a handheld. I also noticed how Pokemon said B2/W2 were the first sequels while XD was... No, maybe G/S/HG/SS was... Do you think Pokemon is ignoring Pokemon XD and Colosseum? They were GREAT games, I don't know why they would. I'd ike to see some kind of remake (Pokemon XD HD?) made for Wii U but we still don't have Pokemon games on Virtual Console so probably not -_-

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Only fought Viola so far, but she was an utter joke. Partly because my Fletchling was Lv. 14 by the time I reached her, but that was still too easy even with that in mind. I had more problems with the first trainer using Supersonic than anything Viola threw at me.

Also, not being able to leave the gym until you beat Viola is just plain evil.

Actually, you could leave by going back to the rope and interacting with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.