• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm12

Weather Bearer
First of all, that's still better than most gym leaders. Most gym leaders you can sweep with one Pokemon.

And again, how would you know to use a Fire type in the gym battle if you don't know what's good against Fairy and you don't know that her first Pokemon is Mawile?

But at the same time, your Poison type is also weak to Mr. Mime, so it could go either way depending on your stats. I went into the battle with a Scolipede and it got destroyed by Psychic before it could touch it.

I kinda already looked up all their teams and stuff :p for shame :( True though, better than sweeping with one- but that's why 6 pokemon of diverse dual types would at least make that a lot harder. I really regret picking on Valerie :( she's so pretty and weird. Like how I imagine a certain kind of straight guy like' Zooey Deschenel [she is such Marmite]

Whoa O_O I thought Scolipede was fast and had decent attack? I suppose if Mimey survives and puts up a reflect :O This is why a Poison/Psychic or Poison/Fire or Poison/Steel should exist :p so many concepts there ripe for the picking too! [Neurotoxins, caustic acids, toxic heavy-metals ]

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
Not sure if any one has mentioned this before, but it is revelvant to the gym leaders. I was watching/reading the TV in Y and it has this program thingy that has stories about the Gym leaders, so I found out Wilfric has a picture of his favourite Pokemon in his locket and Viola's camera was given to her as a present from her sister. I quite liked this little sort of extra story/characterization of the Kalos gym leaders, I'll be interested in what else the program has to say.

What's everybody's thoughts on taking this team in to the Elite 4:

Talonflame
Charizard (Mega Y)
Lucario (Mega)
Electrode
Yveltal
Greninja

-Nator-

What's everybody's thoughts on taking this team in to the Elite 4:

Talonflame
Charizard (Mega Y)
Lucario (Mega)
Electrode
Yveltal
Greninja

Watch out for Rock types; otherwise, you should have no problem with Yveltal being there.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Not sure if any one has mentioned this before, but it is revelvant to the gym leaders. I was watching/reading the TV in Y and it has this program thingy that has stories about the Gym leaders, so I found out Wilfric has a picture of his favourite Pokemon in his locket and Viola's camera was given to her as a present from her sister. I quite liked this little sort of extra story/characterization of the Kalos gym leaders, I'll be interested in what else the program has to say.

The same thing happened in Unova with the Gym Leaders, and in Sinnoh with 4-5 of the Gym Leaders as well (plus Aaron on Unova TV).

imran3

Nothing much...
All the gym leaders were easy, I only had trouble with Viola. The rest were easy because I had an Exp. Share -_-, it was too easy to level up all them. The E4 was easy too and Diantha? I ran over her with Snorlax and M. Lucario.

But I did like their themes (except Diantha).

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yeah, Valerie was a pretty good Gym Leader overall since she actually tries to cover her weaknesses rather then let one Pokemon walk all over her. I would like to see more of that since it made her more fun to fight.

Whoa O_O I thought Scolipede was fast and had decent attack? I suppose if Mimey survives and puts up a reflect :O This is why a Poison/Psychic or Poison/Fire or Poison/Steel should exist :p so many concepts there ripe for the picking too! [Neurotoxins, caustic acids, toxic heavy-metals ]

Those would be really fun Pokemon ideas.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
>Says Viola is hard.
>Talks about Valerie.

But eh, yeah, Valerie was good, although the fact it was a new Type made it somewhat useless as the average buyer would not know Fairy's relation to the Type Chart anyway.

Rexitron

Treecko Ninja
I have to say I was rather disappointed with the E4 and champion. Malva and Siebold were OK but the other three just were not enjoyable. Siebold's personality almost ruined him for me, but his good team saved him. Then the dragon leader is over 70 years old and acts like a nice grandma, but also has a good team. Then the steel leader has a terrible character design and bad dialog, and his team is incredibly easy to beat. Then the champion has the second worst design because of her character model and her team having no reasoning toward typing; although it has decent Pokémon.

I know I'm just hating on them but I had a lot of hope going into the Elite four, as I always do, that they would be totally awesome characters who really went with their Pokémon but they didn't. It just makes me sad after we have had such great E4 and champions in the past.

However I have no problem with the gym leaders who I thought were very good and probably saved the game for me.

Last edited:

Rexitron

Treecko Ninja
I apologize if anyone didn't like my last post I was just giving my opinion of how I felt about the new Elite 4 and Champion and I was probably a little fussy about them. It was just disappointing to have Pokémon types that we had before and the trainers just don't live up to what I expect.

Drasna is the best example of not living up to legacy. Here we have another dragon leader but she doesn't even compare to Lance and Drake who were totally awesome.

Then you have Wilkstrom, the one I attacked the most. Now there was never a steel E4 but Steven was champion and helped you so much through the story of the game and was the final boss in Emerald.

Then you have Diantha who was continuing the trend of having a mixed team, but compared to Gary/Blue, Cynthia, and Alder who all had mixed teams and played a big role in the story; however, Diantha only appears at a couple points in the story and only gives you Ralts after you beat the game.

They all just left a lot to be desired.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I apologize if anyone didn't like my last post I was just giving my opinion of how I felt about the new Elite 4 and Champion and I was probably a little fussy about them. It was just disappointing to have Pokémon types that we had before and the trainers just don't live up to what I expect.

Drasna is the best example of not living up to legacy. Here we have another dragon leader but she doesn't even compare to Lance and Drake who were totally awesome.

Then you have Wilkstrom, the one I attacked the most. Now there was never a steel E4 but Steven was champion and helped you so much through the story of the game and was the final boss in Emerald.

Then you have Diantha who was continuing the trend of having a mixed team, but compared to Gary/Blue, Cynthia, and Alder who all had mixed teams and played a big role in the story; however, Diantha only appears at a couple points in the story and only gives you Ralts after you beat the game.

They all just left a lot to be desired.

... What legacy?
And how does Drasna not live up to it?

Wikstrom is an Elite Four, though, and outside Lorelei and Flint, they literally never did anything.

At least Diantha had some sort of outside gig, her being a film star, outside Blue who was just a jerkish battler for nothing.
She was also harder than him but that's subjective so eh.

The only thing Epic for me with E4 is who I chose to battle them. Outside of that eh..

Rexitron

Treecko Ninja
... What legacy?
And how does Drasna not live up to it?

Wikstrom is an Elite Four, though, and outside Lorelei and Flint, they literally never did anything.

At least Diantha had some sort of outside gig, her being a film star, outside Blue who was just a jerkish battler for nothing.
She was also harder than him but that's subjective so eh.

I understand your point with Wilkstrom as most of the Elite 4 never do appear out of the E4 and Steven was the Champion.

For Drasna, and all the dragon leaders, the group has gone down hill Lance was a great challenge in the original games and was able to become champion second gen. Drake never did much, but had an interesting story if you took the time to learn it. Also they both focused on using the dragon pokémon's powers to crush the opposition and had a strong sense of pride in themselves with neither one of them thinking that you are worthy. Then you have Drasna who is actually happy to see you, and isn't angry at you winning, and is sad when you leave her... that's creepy.

Diantha may have had the movie gig but unlike Garry who was your rival and made constant challenges to you through the entire game and was always one step ahead of you motivating you to continue, she only appeared three times.

Also you can't Argue that Cynthia and Alder were much more involved in the stories.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
I hate beating Drasna first when I go to the E4... she comes off as a B!t$h... "Oh, I'm the first elite four you beat? well the rest aren't going to be as easy to handle" or something along those lines. I REALLY don't like her as a dragon trainer, I LOVE her room, hell all the rooms are really well made this gen, but I just can't stand her. I liked the previous dragon trainers better.

also, yeah Cynthia and Alder were the more involved champions story wise. Don't like Diantha either, she's a snob, and not just because shes a "movie star", her character is just dumb overall

-edit-
Lol at whoever gave me a bad rep simply because I don't like Drasna and Diantha for my own personal reasons. Some of the people here are 'funny' (To not use a more suitable word).

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I understand your point with Wilkstrom as most of the Elite 4 never do appear out of the E4 and Steven was the Champion.

For Drasna, and all the dragon leaders, the group has gone down hill Lance was a great challenge in the original games and was able to become champion second gen. Drake never did much, but had an interesting story if you took the time to learn it. Also they both focused on using the dragon pokémon's powers to crush the opposition and had a strong sense of pride in themselves with neither one of them thinking that you are worthy. Then you have Drasna who is actually happy to see you, and isn't angry at you winning, and is sad when you leave her... that's creepy.

Diantha may have had the movie gig but unlike Garry who was your rival and made constant challenges to you through the entire game and was always one step ahead of you motivating you to continue, she only appeared three times.

Also you can't Argue that Cynthia and Alder were much more involved in the stories.

I never knew that Lance or Drake were angry at their losses, Drake's even seemed to be more Wikstrom-esque in that it seemed more noble than anything.
Drake's story also was basically that he was rescued by Dragon Types once and got fascinated by them. Everything else basically is fanon.
Also Drasna was harder than Lance at least.

But Blue the Rival is, for all intents and purposes, a different thing than Blue the Champion. Blue the Rival is Battled multiple times, in which he literally does zero than being a jerk and french. Blue The Champion just sits there and jerk Battles again. Once. He also did not motivate me at all because I thought of him as completely unnotable and annoying, unlike other Rivals like Hugh or Barry/Cedric, in which the former I was motivated to help and the latter for being a great example that competetiveness does not necessarily equate to jerkyness, retaining a friendly yet highly competetive attitude.

Cynthia was way more plot-heavy than any of the three you mentioned.

Akashin

You're going to have to cite for me where Drake was anything like what you said. And while Lance was like that in Gen I, come Gen II he saw you as an equal challenge and was genuinely interested in seeing which of you was stronger; again, nothing like what you said. They had the pride, but that's it.

And Drasna is cut from a different cloth. Her motivations lie in having been taught the legends of Dialga and Palkia; her being a more relaxed and less competitive Dragon Master isn't that unrealistic. And I fail to see why that's inherently a bad thing.

Blue doubled as both Champion and Rival. None of the other names you cited did. Does is even need to be said why they had less presence?

Edit: Also, what dirkac said. Good point on Cynthia.

X2koda

Dragon Keeper
I just want to know why they didn't make them stronger after you beat them the first time. Its so hard to level pokemon up fast.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I just want to know why they didn't make them stronger after you beat them the first time. Its so hard to level pokemon up fast.

Hard to Level Up Pokémon fast when you have Exp. Share, Pokémon-Amie, Lucky Egg, Exp. O-Power 3, and Battle Chateau?

Rexitron

Treecko Ninja
Like Nightshade Aran said Drasna was not what we expect from the dragon leader. She does openly say that she is probably the easiest of the 4 to beat. The dragon master should not go around saying that. I will admit that Lance did change gen 1 to 2 but that doesn't change the fact that he had a strong sense of self pride even though he went from kinda arrogant to more of a respected opponent.

I also picked these characters from the design standpoint that means character model, dialogue, story, and decided Pokémon team. Drasna, Wilkstrom and Diantha didn't have a good design all around. Sure some of my points were lacking a some of those, but in my OPINION Drasna, Wilkstrom and Diantha had the worst overall design.

I also never said that any of them were rivals other than Blue/Garry.

I also said Cynthia and Alder were both very involved and no one can say that Cynthia isn't the most involved Champion so far, but alder did play a role in both Black/White games now before you start hatting because Alder was not the champion in 2 he still used to be champion.

I will say I am bias toward 3rd gen characters but that doesn't mean my word means nothing about 6th gen characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.