1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gym Leader's names

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by tgl1992, Jan 17, 2010.

1. tgl1992

tgl1992 Well-Known Member

If there has been a thread, which I already looked around, like this one just delete it and I wont complain ;)

So many of you have noticed some of the significance of a Gym Leader's name but some you think dont have one...did you look at it hard enough? Think of the type of Pokemon they use and think outside of the box. Don't worry heres a run down of the ones I Figured Out. There are a couple i cant think of the pun so help me out :) Oh and another thing, Frontier brains and/or Elite 4's are included! :O

Oh and please excuse the :D smilie when the colon ( : ) and D ( D ) come togehter. I know I can space but its too hard to hunt down the :D smilies

Gym Leaders

Brock:Rock Type, Brock rhymes with rock
    Misty:Water Type, mist as in a hazy mist
    Lt. Surge:Electric Type, surge as in power surge
    Erika:Grass Type, ??
    Koga:poison Type, ??
    Janine:poison Type, ??
    Sabrina:psychic Type, ??
    Blaine:Fire Type, ??
    Giovanni:Ground Type, Gio rymes with geo, as in GEOlogy, study of the earth
    Gary:Various, ?? (No pun intended imo)
    (Orange Island GL's have no puns)
    Falkner:Flying Type, FAL are the 1st three words of FALcon
    Bugsy:Bug Type, 1st three letters spell out bug
    Whitney:Normal Type, 1st four letters are from the word WHITe, as in a plain white piece of paper
    Morty:Ghost Type, ??
    Chuck:Fighting Type, 1st 2 words are the same in CHop
    Jasmine:Steel Type, last 4 letters spell out MINE, as in a steel MINE
    Pryce:Ice Type, last 4 words of Pryce is RYCE, which rhymes with ice
    Clair:Dragon Type, In fantasies, a dragon would live in a lair=Dragon's Lair, which Lair rhymes with Clair
    Roxanne:Rock Type, Rox rhymes with Rocks
    Brawly:Fighting Type, 1st five letters are in the word BRAWL
    Wattson:Electric Type, 1st five letters is the word WATTS, as in a 60 WATTS lightbulb
    Flannery:Fire Type, 1st three letters are in the word FLAme
    Norman:Normal Type, 1st five lettersa are in the word NORMAl
    Winona:Flying Type, 1st three letters are in the word WINg
    Tate & Liza:psychic Type, I dont know about Liza, but for Tate, it is the last 4 letters of leviTATE
    Wallace:Water Type, 1st two letters are in the word WAter
    Juan:Water Type, ??
    Roark:Rock Type, 1st two letters are in the word ROck
    Gardenia:Grass type, 1st six words is the word GARDEN
    Maylene:Fighting Type, the MAYLE in Maylene rhymes with Melee
    Crasher Wake:Water Type, the 1st two letters of Wake are in the word WAve
    Fantina:Ghost Type, The FAN in Fantina rhyms with the PHAN in Phantom
    Byron:Steel Type, the last 3 letters are in the word iRON
    Candice:Ice Type, the last 3 words is the word Ice
    Volkner:Electric Type, the 1st three letters are the 1st three in the word VOLt, as in a volt of light

Elite Four

Lorlei:Ice Type, ??
    Bruno:Fighting Type, the 1st three words are in the word BRUte as in brute force
    Agatha:Ghost Type, ??
    Lance:Dragon Type, Lance is in the word DragonLANCE, a Dungeon and Dragons-like board game RPG in the 80's
    Will:psychic Type, Will is in the word WILLpower as in the willpower to use your mind
    Karen:Dark Type, ??
    Sidney:Dark Type, 1st two letters are in the word SIn
    Phoebe:Ghost Type, 1st two letters are in the word PHantom
    Glacia:Ice Type, 1st five letters are in the word GLACIer
    Drake:Dragon Type, the DRAK in Drake rhymes with DRAC as in a DRACo dragon
    Steven:Steel Type, 1st three letters are in the word STEel
    Aaron:bug Type, ??
    Bertha:Ground Type, the BERTH in Bertha is the synonym of BIRTH, in which it is the same as born, as in being born in the earth
    Flint:Fire Type, 1st two letters are in the word FLame
    Lucian:psychic Type, ??
    Cynthia:Vriuos Types, ?? (same as gary imo)

Frontier Brains

Noland=NOland=KNOwledge symbol
    Greta=Greta=Gut symbol
    Tucker=Tucker=Tactics symbol
    Lucy=LUCy=LUCk symbol
    Spenser=SPenser=SPirit symbol
    Brandon=BRAndon=BRAve symbol
    Anabel=Aor AB=Ability or ABility symbol
    (The rest of the Brains in gen IV have no pun intended like Gary and Cynthia)
    well for the ones I cant figure out, discuss here. I know, this was a lot of work and you are thinking "lol this thread may be closed"....but I copied and pasted so...lol? anyway this took me a while, and now you can discuss what the ones with ?? are in terms of a pun.

2. Juan:Water Type, ?? It's pronounced "Wahn", which sounds like water.
    Lucian:psychic Type, ?? Sounds like lucid, as in a lucid dream, which involves the mind.

Actually, Flint's name comes from a type of rock commonly used to start campfires.

3. TerraWolf

TerraWolf Banned

Blaine- BLAine- BLAze, or Blaine rhymes with flame

4. Yaezakura

Yaezakura Asian Lesbian Gamer

Just to clarify a few...

Erika - Erica are a genus of flowers.

Koga - The Koga-ryu School of Ninjitsu.

Janine - The syllables for Ninja backwords: "Nin" "ja" = "ja" "nin".

Falkner - Play on "falconer", someone who trains falcons.

Morty - As in "morte", French for death

Chuck - To chuck something is to throw it... like he does to the boulder when you meet him.

Liza & Tate - You put their names backwards. "Lizatate", which is close to "levitate".

5. tgl1992

ah I never thought of that lol thanks :)

6. yeminied

yeminied Well-Known Member

I don't know about which came out first but there is that girl called Sabrina who is a teenage witch. I believe she had magic powers like moving things with her mind which is what psychics do.

Agatha sorta sounds like ghastly which is an ugly thing or creepy and also the first form of the Pokemon she specializes in.

A Lorelei is a siren of Germanic legend whose singing lures sailors to shipwreck. Sounds a bit like water=water types which are commonly associated with the ice type.

Aaron is the name the older brother of Moses, usually regarded as the first high priest of the Hebrews. Going by this that makes the fact that Aaron trains bug types is an oxymoron as bug types are usually regarded as the weakest type.

Lucian sounds a bit like allusion which is created by tricking the mind, something psychic's do.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. tgl1992

Hey I never thought of Sabrina, the one Melissa Joan Heart played. It came out around the same time as Pokemon so its a possibility that the Dubbers made that into a pun.

8. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Gary isn't his game name. It's Blue (or Green) and since he was a rival, there's no pun involved.

Winona is probably chosen for "Wind" over "Wing"

Agatha = aghast or something similar

Bertha...are you blind. bERTHa. ERTH. EARTH. As in ground. Also tha is probably meant to relate to Agatha, like their JP names do.

Falkner, Falconer. One who trains falcons.

All of the 4th gen Frontier Brains have a pun, based of plants:
    -Palmer=Palm tree
    -Thorton=Thorn
    -Caitlyn=The Cattleya order of orchids
    -Darach=literal gaelic word for oak
    -Argenta="From Celosia argentea, the scientific name of the plumed cockscomb."
    -Dahlia=...well dahlia. It's a type of flower.

There's also a sort of running theme in the Japanese versions, where nearly all of them (some exceptions here and there, like Wataru (Lance) being wings flapping) are named after some sort of plant. In fact 4/6th of the 4th gen Frontier Brains share their puns

edit: Bulbapedia suggests Aaron is similar to arachnid. Cynthia's suggests "Possibly chosen due to similarity to "synthesis", or combining different pieces into one entity, which is a reference to the fact she combines several types in her arsenal. This name also refers to the Greek goddess Artemis, who is associated with the moon, which may be a parallel to Cyrus whose name refers to the sun. "

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Katipunero

Katipunero Eye in the Sky

Blaine sorta rhymes with flame and Sabrina is often used in witch movies

10. AranaTheRhinosaur

AranaTheRhinosaur あなたの心で..

That's pushing it a bit isn't it?

The BERTH in Bertha is basically EARTH with a B infront and an A missing. Simple as that. :p

11. Ash-kid

Ash-kid Ash-kid

I think that there is something to do with Lucian=Psychic, Lucian is "special", like the Psychic moves.

All the rest I really don't know.

12. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

There are many resources available to you that have found the meaning behind each name.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. Lorde

Lorde Banned

How is that similar?

Lucian stems from the Latin word "lux" which means light. It's similar to illusions which are created by light.

14. Indragon

Indragon Back in the USSR

Morty could also be for 'mortifying' when you see his ghosts, that is

15. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

16. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

No, it comes from 'Mortality', which means death, or dead.

Double Post, Sorry. :p

17. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Her name could be based off of the Zebrina plant which looks like the color of her hair.

Or because it sounds like Psychic.

18. W.T.

W.T. Donw with CIPHET!

How does "Sabrina" sound like "Psychic"?

I always used to misspell Maylene as Maylee. More appropriate, in my opinion, now that I know the meaning of the name.

19. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Sorry, not sounds like, is similar to. Sabrina (saɪkɪk) they share a few letters here and there. Note that (saɪkɪk) is how Psychic is pronounced.

20. Ash-kid

Ash-kid Ash-kid

Well the ghost pokemon really can mortifying humans when they want, so maybe you have a point here.