• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders! Which is the worst?

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Never had trouble with Elesa, Sandile took her on like a champ. And Skyla was embarrassingly easy. If you want a challenge with these gym leaders then you're going to have to go out of your way to do so. But that is a veteran speaking though. I do feel sorry for the poor kids who are just starting out pokemon. I bet years from now they're going to remember how happy they were when they finally beat Lenora.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
They're all easy except Misty in the Kanto games, with her crazy overpowered Starmie. The stats of a fully evolved pokemon (and an exceptional one at that) and it's only the second gym. Don't even get me started on the first gen crit mechanics.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Emerald : Brawly gave me such a hard-*** time it was unbelivable.

Crystal: Whitney, two words. F*ck you.

White: the chick in the second gym. i forget her name.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Kanto: Koga in Yellow. The first time I played that game, I was NOT expecting to see a level 50 Venomoth in the fifth Gym.

Johto: Clair. Took me many tries to take down Kingdra in Gold.

Hoenn: Winona/Wallace. I was very surprised that Altaria knew Earthquake and how EQ did a LOT of damage to my team. Milotic was just a pain to kill.

Sinnoh: Maylene. I don't know why, I just often have trouble with Lucario.

Unova: Cilan/Chili/Cress. The monkey I get from the Dreamyard always SUCKS.

XXD17

Draco rex
Kanto: Misty was the hardest because I always started with charmander and she had a flipping STARMIE

Johto: They were all pretty easy...I always start with typhlosion so scyther's not a problem and miltank isn't too hard to beat since it's special defense is low...but I guess clair will have to be the hardest since you don't get a dragon type until after you beat her and she uses a kingdra with dragon pulse...but she's easy if you have feraligtr...

Hoenn: My starter was always sceptile and frankly, he made the gym leaders cake (even flannery since camerupt is part ground) but I guess I'll give the hardest to winona...her altaria actually managed to bring my sceptile down to red...

Sinnoh: let's see, my starter was was always either infernape or empoleon...roark's easy since cranidos is slow and has bad defense, gardenia is easy since you can sweep her team with a staravia, maylene was challenging cause of lucario, wake was a pushover if you have an empoleon, fantina was kind of hard actually but I beat her with a bibarel lol, volkner was a joke thanks to gabite, byron and candace are cake...so I guess I'll have to give it to fantina...

Unova: Definitely Clay and that excadrill...I start with serperior so it only neutrally affects excadrill and it's usually a servine at that point...first gym is obvious cake, Lenora is easy if you get a sawk, Burgh is a joke if you catch a darumaka before challenging him, Elesa can't do anything against a palpitoad, Skyla is a joke if you have a zebstrika, Brycen is a joke if you have a darmanitan, and the last gym is easy if you trained up an axew...but clay was challenging...after a few hone claws, it wrecks have my team with bulldoze or slash...I only managed to beat him due to servine's high defenses...

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Yellow: Brock because I didn't know things had Double Kick, Koga because Double Team arrggh

R/S: lawl pretty much all of them not called Roxanne or Wallace

HG: Morty, Gengar's Shadow Ball one-shots most things. Had to stall it out with Pidgeotto

White: Lenora, I was waaaay too underlevelled

Those are the only ones who stand out.

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
LG: all of them T_T I disliked that one.

R/S/E: second gym leader, forgot his name. kills all <.<

Plainum/Diamond: Crasher Wake always bothered me with gyradoes, I never used electric types. still don't. whats my problem? idk.

HG:Jasmine. shes WAY overleveled. although they make her cp dumb still....

Black/white: Dragon gym was a pain in nuzlocke >,<

yup

Razor Xtreme

I've actually never had problems with gym leaders, except in Hoenn. The electric guy, Juan, and the twins are freakin' a-holes! >=[ Maybe it's cause I always pick Blaziken.

M4zz

Banned
Kanto: Misty. I'm never prepared for that damn Starmie unless I've chosen Bulbasaur, which I don't always do so.

Johto: Whitney. We all know why. Moo.

Hoenn: Brawly, another leader I'm usually quite unprepared for.

Sinnoh: Fantina. everything this early in the game is usually destroyed or can't touch Ghost-Types.

Unova: Lenora. I don't know what it is, but I have troubles with the second or third Gyms, and I blame the low amount of defensive Pokemon. Usually wrecked once my Fighting-Type gets revenge-killed by that Watchog.

Weaver_8

Down the rabbit hole
For me the first gym leader in the Unova region. No matter who I got, Cilan, Chili, or Crest, they all caused me a massive headache. Everyone else in Unova weren't nearly as horrible for me though.

From Hoenn I had issues with Flannery and her insufferable Torkoal! Brawley's horrid makuhita too! Oh and Norman, his Pokemon take me a while to knock out due to their defenses. And before I forget, Winona's Altaria. Hoenn was my first region and I had yet to completely memorize typing so I had no idea why my electric attacks weren't super effective. I think Hoenn was my hardest region, but that may be because I was still a bit green behind the ears then.

Whitney, my Lord Whitney. I completely broke down in tears at her. It took me so long to defeat that stupid cow, oh and the miltank too. Once I beat her I was enraged she had the gall to cry and not give me the badge right away after her defeat. Since than I have had a rivalry with her of sorts.

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
already a thread for this, but

Morty can die in a chemical fire, GENGAR!!!!

Weaver_8

Down the rabbit hole
already a thread for this, but

Morty can die in a chemical fire, GENGAR!!!!

Argh, I forgot about that. Never has Hypnosis hit me so many times in a row, and right after Whitney too...

Aegon

Battle Whitney with a bunch of lv19-20 without having 120 base power moves and THEN tell me she's easy.
I didn't find Whitney difficult. Use stat-raising moves against her Clefairy, then KO it and you're ready to take on Miltank.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
O RLY?

Miltank used Attract!
Pokemon x fell in love.
Pokemon x is immobilized by love!

... and so on.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
O RLY?

Miltank used Attract!
Pokemon x fell in love.

... and so on.

Sorry, but I agree. No matter how many times I lowered Miltank's defs I couldnt get a single attack off!