• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Leaders! Which is the worst?

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Yup, but here is another problem: Lv20 Machop's Karate Chop doesn't even 2HKO Miltank, meaning she can just stall you out with Milk Drink.

Knailsic

Magikarp Messiha
Blue, Clair, Elesa, and Drayden

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Hardest Gym Leaders IMO:

Clair - That tough Kingdra... I ended up defeating her with an Underleveled Dewgong.

Whitney - One word... MILTANK.

Lenora - Damn you Retaliate!

Norman - Normal-type Gym Leaders always cause trouble cos of his Slaking's high HP.

Wallace/Juan - I know how defensive Milotic can be.

Drayden/Iris - That Haxorus can sweep you if unprepared.

Gardenia - Roserade is really tough with its Special-based attacks.

Fantina - Her Ghost Pokemon are either too fast or have high Sp. Atk.

Volkner - His team has so much diversity in attacks to even counter Ground-types. In D/P he actually had an Octillery and Ambipom.

Candice - That Froslass (Platinum) can be trouble.

Misty - She gave me lots of trouble, probably she's the toughest Water Gym Leader.

Blue (HGSS) - That Machamp was really strong.

Sabrina - I know how tough Psychics were in the past...

Janine (HGSS) - She really made my fight tough despite her weaker levels.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
I'm nw adding any of the Elite Four or Champions as well. Lance was a serious pain back in the older versions.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Lt Surges puzzle

Fantina i didn't have a problem with my prinplup as a lead. But what i dislike is that her town is the third big town you encounter but you're not allowed to to challenge her until you defeat Veilstone gym which is further away.

Candice because of her gym puzzle.

Honorable mention goes to Mossdeep Gym, that gym is so confusing.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Do you mean the worst Gym Leaders personality-wise, or difficulty-wise?

If you mean both, I'd probably say Whitney. For the third Gym Leader in the game, she's surprisingly good and tough with that Milk Drinking, Stomping, Rollout-ing and Attracting Miltank of hers. You were pretty much crushed no matter who your starter was, because they have an 87.5% chance of being male, and Miltank was obviously female. Whitney was also pretty annoying with her crying and refusal to give you her badge at first, but most people probably enjoyed her suffering considering what she put us all through. :p:D

Lenora is similar, but she's only the second Gym this time around. Her Herdier might not seem like much, but once that Intimidate sets in and Watchog comes out, it's quite literally a nightmare. He can put you to sleep with Hypnosis, and the 70-BP Retaliate is most likely to be used after Herdier's been knocked out, which causes Retaliate's BP to increase to 140 BP, the highest at that point in the game. (Bugsy's Scyther could reach a potential 160 BP with his Fury Cutter, but it usually didn't get up to that level of power.)

Clair was also a pain with her Kingdra, which was then only weak to Dragon (Water resists Ice, and no Fairies to make it easier). Hydro Pump, Thunder Wave, Yawn and Smokescreen... I had to rely on my Umbreon and Pidgeot in SoulSilver just to take her down. :confused:

And of course, Brock in Yellow, with just Pikachu. :mad:

Kirby Dragons

Gardenia was the hardest in Diamond/Pearl.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Kanto- Sabrina.
Johto- None were really that hard in GSC. HGSS, however, Bugsy and his Scyther were difficult.
Hoenn- None of them.
Sinnoh- Maylene, just for her Lucario.
Unova- Elesa. Volt Switch is the worst move. Ever.
Yea Sabrina could be a pain.

Whitney was the first time I battled her, but this time I got a Machop and took down her Miltank without any real hassle.

Lt. Surge wasn't really too hard, but I hate the puzzle to his gym with a passion. >_<

Clair and her Kingdra were a bit of a pain to take out.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Gardenia was the hardest in Diamond/Pearl.

Gardenia was easy if you chose Chimchar, like I did in Platinum. But I can see why she could be hard if you went with Turtwig or Piplup.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
....Can't say i'm too fond of Misty due to how much she picked on ash in the anime....

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If by "worst" we mean hardest? Probably Norman and his monster of Slakings

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
If by "worst" we mean hardest? Probably Norman and his monster of Slakings

What about Whitney and her cow of terror, Miltank?
241.png

It seems the Normal-type Gym Leaders are the hardest. Whitney, Norman, Lenora... I'm not sure if Ilima would count.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Worst to deal with? Hmm...let's see:

Kanto: Probably Lt. Surge, but that's if I'm not using a Diglett or something.
Johto: Whitney or Clair-- Oh my gosh, Miltank and Kingdra are a menace!
Hoenn: Winona and Juan/Wallace-- Her Altaria gave me fits with that Dragon Dance and everything else. Aaaaand Kingdra makes a reappearance here.
Sinnoh: Fantina or Crasher Wake, but Candice gave me a fair bit of trouble with Froslass in my most recent playthrough.
Unova: Lenora and Drayden/Iris-- Early Normal type gyms give me fits and late game Dragon type gyms can be difficult if you don't have the right equipment
Kalos: Not really any of them. Clemont, if we're stretching it.
Alola: I know he's not a gym leader, but Hala gave me a real tough time in both my playthroughs of Gen 7.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Winona and Juan/Wallace-- Her Altaria gave me fits with that Dragon Dance and everything else. Aaaaand Kingdra makes a reappearance here.

I don't think Dragon Dance existed in Gen 3. Or maybe that's because I played Ruby and don't remember much.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I don't think Dragon Dance existed in Gen 3. Or maybe that's because I played Ruby and don't remember much.

Gen 3 was where it debuted, but honestly, I wish I could forget that lol

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Gen 3 was where it debuted, but honestly, I wish I could forget that lol

Drayden and Iris in Gen 5 were the prime (ab)users of Dragon Dance though. They mostly just used DD and never bothered to attack, so if you had an Ice-type or Samurott with Blizzard or Ice Beam, they were down in five Mississippi. :p

Xuxuba

Whitney bc Milktank is obviously tanky and has access to a healing move and another move that gets stronger each time it uses, something that early on might be annoying to deal with.

Besides normal type has only one weakness which is fighting type and there was no fighting type that caught my interest at that point in the game and i know many ppl will agree with me too.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Drayden and Iris in Gen 5 were the prime (ab)users of Dragon Dance though. They mostly just used DD and never bothered to attack, so if you had an Ice-type or Samurott with Blizzard or Ice Beam, they were down in five Mississippi. :p

Except that Ice Beam cannot even be obtained before postgame in BW (it's in Giant Chasm, a postgame-only area). It's in the same location again in B2W2 and without the postgame requirement, but still comes after defeating the final Gym.