• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Rat [PG-13]

Rommath

▲_▲
Hi, just finished reading your fic so far and it's great! I like the personalities you've given the gym leaders and Sebastian. Can I go on the PM list? Looking forward to the next update. :)

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Added, and thanks ;)

3rd page woot! Also, it'll be a while till Chapter 5 - I ended up having to scrap what I had and start over. Writing sucks sometimes :(

Zincspider

My Bloody
Oh, and you mentioned that the puzzle in Vermilion is a pain.
What I do is save after I have found a switch, then I check a ajacent can. If it's not there, I just restart, and try another ajacent one. I works really well.

Smunkie

Di immortales!
haha yeah xD
funny thing is, I was thinking of giving Sebastian a Growlithe. Pretty sure I ditched that, but...
Oh huh, that's an awesome trick Zinc. Can't believe I didn't think of it xD

Ezey

______ is your fault
Good lord! I have completely fallen in love with this story, it reminds me of..... nothing.
Which is good! Originality RULES!!

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Oh wow, soon my cyber-Growlithe-ego is going to inflate so much I won't be able to fit in this forum, and then what would you guys do? (Answer: read other fics likely better than mine)
Seriously, thanks. Wanna be on the PM list? =D

Foo

^I pity da
Can you put me on the PM list? This fic is fantastic.

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Both of ya are slapped on there :)
And thanks Foo! nice sig by the way. Good to know that your sig is a sig...or is it?

Well everyone, I have tests and papers and homework (oh my!) galore, so Chapter 5 is delayed. Again. A lot of it is written - I finally hit my stride, yay - but it won't be finished up til next week. In short, don't hold your breath! xD
....Is the blow-by-blow commentary distracting you from the fact that I'm supa slow? <_< >_>

Zincspider

My Bloody
Wow it's been a while since anyone posted on here, and I'm sorry that I had to bring this up from such a low place.

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Well, my email tells me that someone else wanted to be put on the PM list, but apparently their comment spontaneously combusted
Anyway, sorry the next chapter is taking so long, you guys! I didn't die again, I swear! I have Chapter 5 basically done, but I can't think of the Pokemon equivalent of Disneyland. Yes, the delay is as lame as that. Help?

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Chapter Five whoo!

A/N: Finally finished (and sorry for the double post, figured you guys wouldn't mind)! Lots of plot-type-things happen, if that’s any compensation for how long this took! By the way, if a particular scene (or lack of scene) seems like a cop-out, I apologize. Fight scenes are definitely not something I can pull off well, and don’t fit the tone of the story much, and are the reason I had to scrap the old version. Also, I couldn’t resist the chance for some more banter between our two questionable heroes, those silly geese. Speaking of banter, it also gets a little talky - probably why this chap looks so oddly spaced, too - and I apologize for that too…okay, maybe I should stop blabbering about this chapter’s faults and just let you read it. So, here it is!

Chapter Five

The Game Corner was not a good place for Sebastian to be.

Actually, that was putting it a little lightly. The Game Corner was the most likely place for Sebastian to get his sorry a*s killed.

“I’m too old for this,” he groaned.

“Shush!” Mary hissed. “They’ll find us!”

“Oh come on,” he growled back at her. “This is the Game Corner. What do you think they’d do to us here?” There was a nice back alley behind the Game Corner, however…

“That’s not the point!” she scowled.

He sighed. No, that wasn’t the point, was it? The point was that he was crouched uncomfortably behind a slot machine in the one place he wanted to be least in the world, and he couldn’t do a thing about it. He was effectively kidnapped by some hormonal girl.

“Alright, we have to…”

Sadly, if it weren’t for the Rockets – and, of course, the whole kidnapping deal – he would have enjoyed himself here. The moans and groans of the losers (everyone), the bright flashing lights (seizure-inducing), the smell of a con well pulled (a papery scent that evoked cold hard cash and sweat). It was his kind of place. As a grunt he had blown more of his salary here than he cared to think about. Of course, just one pull of a lever and he could win it all back. Screw the odds, he was Sebastian frickin McDuff, and he made his own luck! Why, that machine over there was empty, practically screaming his name! Now, where had he put those spare coins…?

“…and then we can – are you listening to me?”

“Hmm wha?” Had that been Mary? He’d thought some Chatot had been set loose in the building. “Right, do go on. I agree with every word.”

Mary’s glare ricocheted off his forehead and curled a strip of near-by wallpaper.

As I was saying,” she hissed, “we have to make a plan. I know there’s a button behind that poster that leads to some kind of Rocket base, so if we – ”

Oh Mew, not the button.

“Wait, wait, wait,” he interrupted her. “Button?”

“Yeah,” she said smugly, a satisfied grin on her face. “I found this house, see, almost as soon as I got here. Full of Rockets! So I snuck around and eavesdropped and heard them talking about some secret stairs around here!”

He bit his lip. How stupid did she think the Team was, honestly? Of course those Rockets were just plants; the real entrance to the Corner base was nowhere near that poster, and her shiny would be nowhere near here anyway. It would be going to The Boss to grant the bearer an instant promotion, and The Boss would be in Saffron, right in the middle of whatever was going down. The question was: Would he tell her this?

He settled for noncommittal. “Look, I know for a fact there’s no such thing.”

“Of course you would say that,” she scoffed. “You’re a Rocket.”

He threw his hands up in exasperation. “I am not! There’s a button, sure, and there’s stairs, but they don’t go anywhere pleasant!”

She shot another glare his way. Frown, frown, scowl, scowl. Could she do anything else? “If that’s all –”

“YEEEEEE-HAAH!”

“Good Mew,” grimaced Sebastian, slapping his hands to his head. Mary, unperturbed, peered out from behind their hiding place. Sebastian, wincing and rubbing his ears, followed suit.

The commotion came from a machine on the other side of the Corner – someone had struck big. Coins flowed in a clinking wave, bouncing every which way on the tacky yellow velvet rug. The lucky winner picked them up and tossed them around, her giant smile threatening to eat her face.

Well that was unusual. There were Jackpots every so often, of course – had to ease suspicion – but every so often meant about once a month. He wondered just how much money that was…because if the chick hadn’t counted that was her own prob –

“Come on!” Mary snapped, grabbing hold of his arm and yanking him out of his gold-filled fantasies.

“What…!” he cried, stumbling to his feet.

“This is our chance, little man! Move!”

And move they did. She dragged him along the back wall to a large potted plant in a corner.

“This is ridiculous,” he mumbled, brushing palm fronds out of his face.

Shush!”

Mary parted the leaves of the plant, squinting through the gap. She seemed to be enjoying herself, that insufferable little –

“Alright, they’re still distracted. Let’s press that button and go!”

“But I told you – !”

The whole yanking thing was really starting to get old. How exactly had she gotten so damn strong? She pulled him towards the poster, the button behind it, and the Rocket trap that awaited them.

What a day.

~~~~~

“I hate to say it…”

“Then don’t, dammit!”

“…but I told you so.”

“Aaargh!” Mary growled, and wriggled against their ropes.

“I mean, maybe we could have taken two of them…”

“I will strangle you with this rope, little man!”

“Or even three...”

Strangle you!” she roared.

“But six?”

“Don’t think I won’t!”

“With Pokemon?”

“Or can’t!”

“I mean, you gave it real effort. Nice kick in there – was that some kind of Fighting move? – and what a well-trained Electabuzz! Really top-notch!”

Shut up!” yelled the Rocket desperately, frowning down at them. “Does he always talk so much?”

“Yes,” Mary said dismally.

“Well that was very rude,” Sebastian pouted. “I’ll strangle myself with these ropes in a minute.”

“Errrrrggghh!” Mary snarled. “Could you just go ahead and kill him, or whatever?”

“Ha!” Sebastian laughed. “Ahaha!”

“What the hell is your problem?” Mary asked, managing to sound both disgusted and sulky at the same time.

“Teeheehaha!” he giggled weakly.

“Stop that laughing!” the Rocket ordered nervously.

Mary rolled her eyes. “The idiot’s having a nervous breakdown. It doesn’t surprise me.”

“Pffffhahaha! Nervous!” Sebastian chortled.

“What the hell is so funny?!” Mary cried, knocking the backs of their heads together angrily.

“Ouchahahaha!”

“Slap him, stupid!” she ordered the guard.

“But…” the guard hesitated.

“Ohahaheehee…heeheehah…!”

“For Mew’s sake, just do it!” she snarled.

Smack!

“Hey!”

The guard raised his hand to hit Sebastian again.

“Stop, stop! I’m fine!” he cried hastily, working his jaw side to side. The guy slapped like a girl!

“Stupid Rocket who won’t even slap someone. Honestly,” Mary grumbled.

Well, any girl other than Mary there.

Mary there. There tied to his back. Tied to his back, sitting on the floor of a concrete room…

Keep working at it, Sebastian ol buddy ol pal, his subconscious encouraged. You’ll get it eventually.

Oh Mew.

“We’re captured!”

“Welcome back to Kanto. How was the trip?” Mary said drily enough to put a desert to shame.

“Oh Mew! Good Mew I’m caught!”

“I think I liked the laughing better.”

“This is bad! This is very bad! Very not good!”

“Seriously, if you want to go ahead and kill him, be my guest.”

The guard shook his head. “No, no killing until the Boss gets here. Strict orders.”

“The Boss?!”

Dear Mew, anyone but the Boss.

“Do you mean the Boss or The Boss?” Sebastian shot urgently.

“Just the Boss,” the Rocket answered, looking perplexed.

“Oh Mew this is bad!”

He had to get out of here, right now! Right this instant!

He struggled to stand, succeeding in nothing more than scraping Mary a few inches along the ground.

“Remember who you’re attached to, you idiot!” she yelled.

“A little help would be nice!” he hissed back at her.

“What’s the use? Pimpley McPimple Face over there isn’t about to let us just walk out.”

“It’s true,” the guard nodded. “Strict orders again. Plus the snake would getcha.”

Snake?!

Oh. Snake. A massive, slithering purple Arbok blocked the stairs to the only exit. As if to prove the guard’s point, the Arbok spread its hood aggressively and hissed at them.

And was that Nana?! Oh, dear. Yes it was. The poor Umbreon was flat on her back, nearly hidden by the Arbok’s coils. Mary’s unconscious Electabuzz laid near-by.

“Right.” Sebastian slumped down, defeated. “I’m dead then. Dead meat. Dead as dinner.”

“Good riddance,” Mary sniped, then resumed her glowering.

“Hey, wait! I can’t help the pimples! I am taking medicine, you know!” The guard frowned pathetically at them. Then, realizing he would get no reply and sensing no more resistance of any sort, he backed off sullenly. He relaxed against a wall, took a magazine out of his pocket, and began flipping through it.

How despicable, thought Sebastian. Even the lowest of the low wouldn’t have dared slack off like that in my day.

Good Mew, what was he going to do? Captured by a Rocket who read magazines on watch, by Rockets who only left one guard behind in the first place! Who couldn’t even deal with intruders on their own, but had to go get a Boss! He, Sebastian McDuff, refused to be done in by such low-lifes! But what was he going to do?

He was getting a hold of the situation; that was a good start. No more hysterics. But if he couldn’t get out of this mess before the Boss came…there was no hope for him then. No hope at all. He knew who the Boss here was. Oohh, yes. Knew him all too well.

The situation was just as bad as he had always pictured it. There was the Rocket grunt, not quite the menacing, grizzled veteran he had always imagined would capture him – add less menace and more pimples and the picture would come closer – but the kid still leered pretty well despite the braces. Here was the large, empty room with the concrete floor, lit by dim, depressing fluorescents that flickered and spluttered and barely clung to life. There were the frayed ropes that tied his hands behind his back, and tied his waist to Mary’s. There were their Pokémon fainted on the floor, watched by the Arbok. It was everything in that old nightmare and worse – his nightmare hadn’t been bad enough to include Mary.

He hadn’t actually been recognized yet, at least. The other grunts that had subdued them had all run off to find some high-ups, leaving only the lone pimple-faced guard. He doubted any of them had been around long enough to see his face, let alone recognize him as an ex; especially if they were stupid enough to leave behind only one guard. At the moment he was just another idiot vigilante trying to bust the Great Rocket Corner Base Behind that Poster on the Wall ™. Who had brought his naggy girlfriend. Bleechk.

Think this out, Sebastian, just think this out. Logic, logic, logic – that would beat these meat-heads. Okay, what advantages did he have, what did he have to use? Anything at all? Mary would be no help, as she had already proved. He could count on her for nothing. Nana was out of the picture as well, and…yep, the Rockets had been at least competent enough to take the rest of the Pokeballs from his belt. Sneaking out would be difficult with the dead weight calling itself Mary, and the Boss was getting closer with every passing moment…

In fact, were those footsteps?

Oh Mew.

“…have to tell you imbeciles, all you have to do to them is rough them up a little bit, let them know who they’re dealing with. You don’t have to come get me every time you catch someone!”

Dear Mew, he knew that voice. How could he forget that particular condescending tone?

“But, Boss, there’s two of them! At once! Is that the same?”

“Yes, of course it is, you – look, I have things to do, okay? I don’t have time to babysit you idiots. I’ll deal with the hostages this time, but if you bother me again I’m going to have to do something drastic.”

“Yes, Boss…”

Oh Mew oh Mew. Sebastian curled in on himself, trying his best to hide his face and look as inconspicuous as possible. He managed fairly well considering he was tied up in the middle of a large, empty room.

“Good Mew above us, what is this?” the Boss cried.

“Grrrrrr!” came a growled counterpoint.

He’d gotten another dog?! Happy place, Sebastian ol boy, just go to your happy place…

“These Pokémon are just sitting here! Honestly, did you skip basic training? Always, always, always return the goods to their Pokeballs. Always! You did take the Pokeballs…?”

“Yes, sir, of course sir! Right here sir!” a grunt replied, sounding relieved to have done something right.

“So you’re not completely stupid, good,” the Boss spat. “Give all the Pokeballs to me, you dolt. Come on.”

There was a pause.

“Who is that guy?” Mary hissed.

“Shut up!” Sebastian hissed back. “Just shut up!” He renewed his attempt to disappear into the floor.

“Alright, now let’s see the captives…”

The Boss’s footsteps began to draw in their direction. Sebastian redoubled his efforts to grow psychic powers and teleport far, far away.

“Grrrrrrrowl! Grrrrithe! GRRRROWL LITHE LITHE!”

“What in heavens - !”

Before Sebastian could even comprehend what was going on, the Growlithe went straight for his throat, barking and yowling and yapping like it was rabid. He tried his best to fend the thing off with his feet, but it was a whirl of white fang and orange fur that wasn’t easily dissuaded. It latched onto his ankle and began to gnaw.

“What the hell!” Sebastian exclaimed, kicking at it with his free leg. “Ow! Call off your stupid dog!”

“What in the world got into hi – oh. Well, well, well. What have we here?”

Sebastian slowly, reluctantly raised his eyes from the Growlithe enjoying his leg to the man enjoying him squirm.

The Boss.

“All of you, get out of here,” he commanded, and the grunts scattered. He plunked down the brown sack he had been holding in one hand. Then he rounded on Sebastian, the coat of his black suit flapping.

He was a man. That was all that you could describe him as, really; everything else about him was vague. Was his hair a light brown, or a sort of dirty blonde? His eyes a blue-green or more grey? His chin strong or weak, his face smooth or weathered, young or old? Impossible to tell. He was naturally blessed with that greatest gift of con-men everywhere: anonymity. He did have a large nose, there was that. All of the family had the big nose, the stupid thing.

“How are you, Harry?” the Boss grinned toothily, the smug Meowth who had caught its Pidgey.

“Been better, actually,” Sebastian said, aggrieved. How good could he be with a Growlithe attached to his leg? Thank Mew he was wearing long pants!

“What, you’re not happy to see dear old Uncle Ralph?” cried the Boss in an injured tone, throwing his hands into the air. “I’m hurt, Harry, I really am! And to think, you haven’t seen me in years!”

“Well, if you got your dog off my leg…” Sebastian grimaced.

“Oh, Growlithe here! Funny thing about him...” The Boss leaned closer and began to stroke the Growlithe’s head, still grinning. “He’s been specially trained to attack anything with a certain scent. Care to guess which one?”

Three guesses, and the first two don’t count, Sebastian thought bitterly.

“How’d you get it?” he asked. “I took The Suit with me!”

“Sheets,” the Boss grinned.

Damn. He knew he had forgotten something.

“What the hell are you guys talking about?” Mary snapped, craning to see what was going on from the awkward position of tied up.

Oh, right. Her.

“No idea,” Sebastian said in as confused a voice as he could muster. “Never seen the guy in my life.”

“Now, now, Harry,” the Boss tsked, pulling the Growlithe off of Sebastian’s leg. “Aren’t you too good for such silly tricks now? A changed man? How does it feel to be a Flaaffy of the flock?”

Sebastian glared and rubbed his aching legs together, trying to relieve the pain. He hoped the dog piddled on that nice black suit.

“Now, upsy-daisy,” the Boss said, grabbing a fist-full of Sebastian’s shirt and yanking. Sebastian stumbled to his feet, dragging Mary awkwardly along with him. She was spurred into motion with a “You too, girly,” and a swift kick in the shins from the Boss.

“We going to The Boss?” Sebastian asked, resigned.

Smack! The Boss lifted his arm and popped Sebastian across the face.

“Wha…!”

“That’s no business of yours, Flaaffy,” the Boss said grimly. “I’d advise you to shut up.”

“But…!”

“Rrrrrrrrrooowwwl,” growled the dog. Sebastian shut up.

The Boss took the brown sack and shouldered it, causing the Pokeballs inside to clink faintly. Then he tugged on their ropes, and they started moving. There was much bumping and scuffing and stepping on feet, and Mary grumbled almost constantly under her breath. Of course, the Boss took no notice of her, let alone slapped her. Second time today! As if being captured wasn’t bad enough. Honestly! It was a miracle his glasses had stayed on his face!

They were led across the concrete floor and up half of the flight of stairs before the Boss stopped them.

“Right,” he said, turning to face them. “We’re going into Celadon. Try any funny business” – he reached into his jacket – “and I use this.” – and pulled out a gun. “Got it?”

“Got it,” Sebastian replied bleakly. Guns only complicated things, Mew dammit. Why did the Bosses always have guns?

“No, actually not!” Mary complained. The Boss paid her no attention, merely prodded them with the firearm into the Game Corner proper.

Sebastian marched dismally past the slot machines, the lights and the noise no longer glamorous in the least. The Boss nodded confidentially towards the man behind the counter – wasn’t that Stan, or maybe Steve? Either way, Sebastian was getting no help from that corner. He wasn’t likely to get help from anyone else here, either, those coin-junkies – Jackpot Girl was busy cheerfully plucking her coins off the ground and counting them; all the others were hunched over their slots, oblivious to everything but the spinning of the machine. He was tied up and at gunpoint, and none of them were batting an eye. It was ridiculous.

Maybe once they got outside…?

“Remember: no tricks, traitor,” the Boss hissed as he opened the glass front door. He poked Sebastian forwards, eliciting a wince.

Sebastian shuffled onward, Mary plodding awkwardly along behind. He glanced around quickly, squinting against the sudden sunlight.

What he saw made him stop dead in his tracks.

“Hey!” said Mary.

“Move!” growled the Boss.

“Grrroooowl!” snarled the Growlithe.

He began moving again in a hurry. But good Mew the heist was bigger than he had expected it would be! Rockets were milling about, right in the open, even around the Gym! Black uniforms, everywhere; giant red “R”s as far as the eye could see! And he had hoped for help out here – pah! Obviously this was something big, something major.

Maybe it hadn’t been the smartest idea to send those papers along.

“What is going on?!” Mary questioned breathlessly. Again she was ignored. Sebastian feared she might steam herself, judging by the amount of furious heat she was radiating onto his back.

But really, what was going on? He looked around in amazement at the audacious Team members. Some strode purposefully down the colorful streets to some shady destination, some huddled in groups and conspired, some watched bunches of cringing Celadon citizens. Ekans slithered and Rattata scurried; a fluttering Golbat came dangerously close to hitting him in the face with a leathery wing. Escape would be difficult with all these Rockets milling about, and once they got where the Boss was leading them, Sebastian doubted it would get any easier.

What to do, what to do?

He realized with surprise that they were walking into the waypoint to Saffron. Was he really taking them to the HQ? He wasn’t that important…was he?

Oh this was not good.

“Talk to me,” the Boss ordered the waypoint guard briskly.

“Uh, er…takeover’s going as planned, Boss sir,” the guard mumbled.

“Right, good. If those imbecile grunts hadn’t called me away, I would have come sooner. Although…”

He yanked Sebastian to his side.

“…I suppose some good came out of it.” His lips curled over his yellowing teeth in a Totodile smile.

Nope, today was definitely not a good day.

The Boss deftly undid the knot tying Sebastian and Mary’s waists together, then pushed Mary towards the guard.

“Hey, wait…!” she protested.

“Do whatever you want with her,” the Boss said uncaringly. “Just don’t let her out of your sight.”

“But…!” The guard looked almost as perturbed as Mary.

The Boss paid neither of them any mind, instead turning to Sebastian and flashing that disturbing grin.

“Come on, Flaaffy. We’re going on a little trip.”

“To Clefariyland?” Sebastian asked hopefully.

“No,” the Boss replied firmly, a rather disgusted look on his face.

Well, darn.

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
Ahahaha, Clefairyland. Good one.

Heey. I told you I'd come.

Anyway, I liked the chapter, it's just that...

It sounded immature. Like, all the Good Mew!!s and Oh no!!s kind of got repetitive. Definitely not why I picked this fic to follow.

It's like... In the beginning, your writing took a much more narrative turn and now it's like Sebastian (or Harry or Flaaffy) is telling the story.

I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something missing from this chapter, and that something is what I liked about your fic all along. The immaturity of Sebastian takes away from its charm.

So, in conclusion, I liked it, but not as much as your other chapters and I know you can do much better.

~BM

Smunkie

Di immortales!
Ah, sorry about that. I know exactly what you mean, and I'll watch that in the future. I think I just got a bit lazy, didn't want to transition properly, and was rushing to finish; Chapter 6 will be much more polished (it will also take a while xD)
Thank you so much for the crit!

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
WOW!
This is some fic!
I really liked the main character... The advice guy always got on my nerves... I often tryed to push him into the water at misty's gym, and fusing him with the magikarp man... Genius!

Everyone else is saying the latest chapter aint as good because of the slight more imaturaty, but it makes sense, if I was in sebastian's place, I would turn into a blubering Tentacool!

Waiting intently!

PS: Can you PM list me?

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
Yes, I have to admit that if I were in Sebastian's place, I would blabber on and on, too. However, I thought that the immaturity was a bit much, if you don't mind me saying, Smunkie (which you already indirectly said that you didn't), and that is why I said something about it.

Now, Smunkie. Laziness and rushing are quite possibly the two absolute worst things you can do while writing. My suggestion is you slow down and take some time, no matter how obnoxious editing is, to read your chapter through. I know, I hate editing more than anything, but it's necessary. Also, a beta might help. Not only for those pesky grammar errors (e.g. Clefariyland), but for description and rushing problems as well.

I'm feeling professional as I write this. -.-

Anyway, that's what I would do. Reread a bazillion times (there ends my professionalism) and get a beta.

Off-Topic: Ergh, what happened to my beautiful banner?!!? Time to PM Frexel about this....