• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have to keep your pokemon in the gym for at least an hour to get coins? That sucks. i like the part about how the pokemon will eventually get tired and how you can feed them berries. I also like the part that you can get items form the gyms similar to pokestops. But still the coin part gets me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Alright, after a day of driving around town to get gyms, I think I have a good sense for the new system. I actually am quite enjoying it so far. There is one major problem though. The new coin system. One one hand, if you're one of those people who get Pokémon to stay in gyms for weeks at a time, then this is great, and one gym will give you 21 coins where you would normally get 10, but if you're anyone else (which, I assume, is most players) then it's going to be a single challenge to get a single coin from something that would normally earn you ten. I am very afraid that my one incubator a week purchase is going to be a thing of the past, especially once I go back to college, where the gyms have extremely fast turnover. There's no way I'll ever manage to keep something in a gym for an hour, let alone 10 for the usual 10 coins.

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
Yeah, unfortunately it looks as though the gym scene is going to be far worse off than it used to be, which wasn't even very good to begin with.

Spoofers and multiaccounters are the huge winners of this update sadly. They can spoof with multiple accounts and endlessly keep motivation up at max by feeding endless berries while you battle their gyms, meaning it is literally impossible to take gyms down if you're unlucky enough to come across someone so dedicated to spoofing with multiple accounts. They're also the ones who will gain coins by taking every gym at 2-3am and holding it until like 10am while legit players will struggle to see a single coin since an hour is a long time in the majority of areas to hold a single gym. This will also result in some people going out at late hours with the majority of people asleep, becoming a huge risk to take a gym for a chance at a small, but sizeable amount of coins and will probably get mugged, killed, etc. I can imagine the news articles already. *sigh*

(Warn anyone who might consider this as well if you know anyone who plays that could be tempted to go late gym hunting in a dangerous area. I don't get how they ban spinning Pokestops for passengers due to people crashing their cars but this somehow gets implemented.)

Meanwhile, if you are lucky enough to hold a single gym for a whole 5 hours you get a whole US$0.05 worth of coins. Oh boy....

TL;DR: RIP Gyms. Pay-to-Win or Spoof your way to victory now.

(Apologies if I seem overly negative, just really disappointed and this ruined a good chunk of the game for me.)

On the plus side, Gyms are now stops and Nanabs have an actual use by feeding them to a Pokemon in a gym for Stardust. Yay?

Drakoflash1

Pokemon Master
Yeah, unfortunately it looks as though the gym scene is going to be far worse off than it used to be, which wasn't even very good to begin with.

Spoofers and multiaccounters are the huge winners of this update sadly. They can spoof with multiple accounts and endlessly keep motivation up at max by feeding endless berries while you battle their gyms, meaning it is literally impossible to take gyms down if you're unlucky enough to come across someone so dedicated to spoofing with multiple accounts. They're also the ones who will gain coins by taking every gym at 2-3am and holding it until like 10am while legit players will struggle to see a single coin since an hour is a long time in the majority of areas to hold a single gym. This will also result in some people going out at late hours with the majority of people asleep, becoming a huge risk to take a gym for a chance at a small, but sizeable amount of coins and will probably get mugged, killed, etc. I can imagine the news articles already. *sigh*

(Warn anyone who might consider this as well if you know anyone who plays that could be tempted to go late gym hunting in a dangerous area. I don't get how they ban spinning Pokestops for passengers due to people crashing their cars but this somehow gets implemented.)

Meanwhile, if you are lucky enough to hold a single gym for a whole 5 hours you get a whole US$0.05 worth of coins. Oh boy....

(Apologies if I seem overly negative, just really disappointed and this ruined a good chunk of the game for me.)

On the plus side, Gyms are now stops and Nanabs have an actual use by feeding them to a Pokemon in a gym for Stardust. Yay?

This.
There are no ways to express the amount of agreement with this post.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I agree on the part about the coins being ridiculous, but I don't think this update made things better for people who spoof and bot. Before, multi-accounting spoofers could create a level ten Blissey fortress that would stand for months (I know from experience). Limiting gyms to six Pokémon and only one Blissey means that such absurdities are a thing of the past. Most gyms controlled entirely by such cheaters can be taken down by a single dedicated player now, which just wasn't the case before. You mentioned that they could endlessly feed berries, but that's actually not the case. Not only does the effect of berries decrease every time you feed a Pokémon, but once you reach a certain amount, you actually can't feed them anymore at all. This limit was probably put in place specifically to combat people with bot accounts set up to do that.

Since my last post was more on the negative side, allow me to balance it with some more positive comments on the gym rework. Aside from the new coin system, which is terrible, I love pretty much everything about this gym rework. My favorite part is the death of prestiging. No more do I have to work on training up a gym little by little for 30-45 minutes to get a spot, or even worse, have it stolen from me. And limiting gyms to one-per-species and six Pokémon is a marvelous change for people playing alone, not to mention the extreme increase in variety. Today I saw so many Pokémon in gyms that I have never seen before. I even got to put my Charizard in a gym for the first time in months. And the gym badge system is just awesome on so many levels. I love being able to keep a list of all the gyms I've visited, and it also tracks all your stats for each gym, which is so cool. If it weren't for the coins, this update would be as near perfect as I could hope for, at least as far as I can foresee.

By the way, a word of warning for people. I had read that Pokémon over 3,000 CP will lose motivation faster than those below, so I put my 3,085 CP Dragonite in a gym. Seven hours later it has literally lost its entire heart, while my 2,600 Tyranitar, put in a gym only ten minute later, has only lost a small sliver. So yeah, it's just not worth putting Pokémon over 3,000 CP in gyms any more, unless you expect a high-turnover rate.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
They did a massive fail with gyms by not giving you the priority when you beat a gym with the new update. I got sniped twice before I could put in in addition to dealing with server issues.

The person that wins does get priority. The major failure was not allowing people on the same team to add pokemon when the gym is "under attack".

My friend and I took a red gym down together. His battle happened to be the one that kicked the last pokemon out. I wasn't able to add a pokemon because he had priority. He added his Gyarados, making the gym blue, but I was still unable to add any pokemon after because someone in their car immediately attacked the gym, and I kept getting a message that I couldn't add a pokemon because the gym was "under attack". This cool down period before teammates can add a pokemon is a stupid idea.

Last edited:

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
You mentioned that they could endlessly feed berries, but that's actually not the case. Not only does the effect of berries decrease every time you feed a Pokémon, but once you reach a certain amount, you actually can't feed them anymore at all. This limit was probably put in place specifically to combat people with bot accounts set up to do that.
It's been said that it is something like 10 berries per account per hour. So if a spoofer has 30 accounts on the said team, they can just switch accounts and continue feeding while you take 15 minutes to defeat the gym each time. A few people have experienced this already. There apparently isn't a point where an attacker can take down the gym while they're getting stuffed full of Nanabs.

Since my last post was more on the negative side, allow me to balance it with some more positive comments on the gym rework. Aside from the new coin system, which is terrible, I love pretty much everything about this gym rework. My favorite part is the death of prestiging. No more do I have to work on training up a gym little by little for 30-45 minutes to get a spot, or even worse, have it stolen from me. And limiting gyms to one-per-species and six Pokémon is a marvelous change for people playing alone, not to mention the extreme increase in variety. Today I saw so many Pokémon in gyms that I have never seen before. I even got to put my Charizard in a gym for the first time in months. And the gym badge system is just awesome on so many levels. I love being able to keep a list of all the gyms I've visited, and it also tracks all your stats for each gym, which is so cool. If it weren't for the coins, this update would be as near perfect as I could hope for, at least as far as I can foresee.
While the diversity is nice, I do just wish it didn't take 5 battles to take out a 70cp Pidgey when they're fresh. It should be balanced by how fast you beat them or something. Apart from that all of the low turnover gyms are full of my team here and the only ones I can get into are high turnover gyms which won't last an hour so no coins for me anymore I guess.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I think they removed the level 35 requirement for raids. I just got a Raid Pass and my nearby list no longer says anything about my level, just that there aren't any raids nearby.

After figuring out how these gyms actually work, i actually really like them. I love how you get the coins once your pokemon gets knocked out of the gym instead of the once a day thing they had before. Being team Instinct, if i found another gym i could put a pokemon in after i had already gotten my coins, i usually wouldn't because i knew the gym wouldn't last more then a few hours and it would just make me use another revive. But this is great so i can slowly drop pokemon everywhere. I do think they should make it a little easier to knock out pokemon from gyms. And i think that they should give out a little more coins then they do know, but other than those two complaints, i really like it.

PokeMaster366

It's been said that it is something like 10 berries per account per hour. So if a spoofer has 30 accounts on the said team, they can just switch accounts and continue feeding while you take 15 minutes to defeat the gym each time. A few people have experienced this already. There apparently isn't a point where an attacker can take down the gym while they're getting stuffed full of Nanabs.

While the diversity is nice, I do just wish it didn't take 5 battles to take out a 70cp Pidgey when they're fresh. It should be balanced by how fast you beat them or something. Apart from that all of the low turnover gyms are full of my team here and the only ones I can get into are high turnover gyms which won't last an hour so no coins for me anymore I guess.

On the plus side, you get a short break after every battle, so it's much easier to take Pokemon out one at a time with no repercussions.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Hmm... I suppose that is possible. It requires a whole ton of accounts, but it is possible. In all honesty, I don;t know if a botter with 30 accounts is normal or not.

While the diversity is nice, I do just wish it didn't take 5 battles to take out a 70cp Pidgey when they're fresh. It should be balanced by how fast you beat them or something.

At the same time, if it weren't for the new system, no one in their right mind would be putting a 70 CP Pidgey in the gym in the first place, so you'd not only have to battle it the same amount, but each battle would be harder.

Apart from that all of the low turnover gyms are full of my team here and the only ones I can get into are high turnover gyms which won't last an hour so no coins for me anymore I guess.

Yeah, that is a big problem.

EDIT: So this is pretty cool. I just read that they changed the coin system again. You now earn one coin every 10 minutes, instead of every hour. This makes earning coins both easier in general, and especially easier for people with high gym turnover rates. The trade-off is that the maximum coins you can claim per day is now 50 instead of 100. This is really cool.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Hmm... I suppose that is possible. It requires a whole ton of accounts, but it is possible. In all honesty, I don;t know if a botter with 30 accounts is normal or not

EDIT: So this is pretty cool. I just read that they changed the coin system again. You now earn one coin every 10 minutes, instead of every hour. This makes earning coins both easier in general, and especially easier for people with high gym turnover rates. The trade-off is that the maximum coins you can claim per day is now 50 instead of 100. This is really cool.
It shouldn't be normal, and even if it was normal, that's still against the Terms of Service. They specified one account per person.

Just read the coin change. So instead of 4 days and 4 hours for full 100, to get the max 50 at a rate of 1 per 10 minutes, you only need 8 hours and 20 minutes. But still useless for those in high turnover areas, like Japan, Hong Kong, and San Francisco.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It shouldn't be normal, and even if it was normal, that's still against the Terms of Service. They specified one account per person.

I meant normal for a cheater. Trust me, I have enough experience with multi-accounters/botters to know how much they're cheating, I just don't know how many accounts they normally have.

Just read the coin change. So instead of 4 days and 4 hours for full 100, to get the max 50 at a rate of 1 per 10 minutes, you only need 8 hours and 20 minutes. But still useless for those in high turnover areas, like Japan, Hong Kong, and San Francisco.

At least there's a chance now. When I'm at college, I would call my area pretty high turnover, but I can manage to keep stuff in a gym for half an hour, so I'll at least get three coins from it, where yesterday I'd get none.

Also, raids are now open to trainers level 28 and above.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the change happening so quickly. Credit where it is due I suppose! 10 minutes is far more reasonable.

Vipsoccermaster

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the change happening so quickly. Credit where it is due I suppose! 10 minutes is far more reasonable.
Much better, yes, however, in order to get the coins your defending Pokémon collected, it needs to be kicked out of the gym. Wasted potential for any defending Pokémon that stays more than 8 hours and 20 minutes.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Much better, yes, however, in order to get the coins your defending Pokémon collected, it needs to be kicked out of the gym. Wasted potential for any defending Pokémon that stays more than 8 hours and 20 minutes.

But at the same time, a single Pokémon can earn 50 coins in 8 hours 20 minutes, while before the update it could only earn 10 every 21 hours. This system has far more potential, even with the waste factor. For the real waste to occur, your Pokémon would have to be in a gym for 105 hours, anything less, and your making more than you would have pre-update.

Vipsoccermaster

But at the same time, a single Pokémon can earn 50 coins in 8 hours 20 minutes, while before the update it could only earn 10 every 21 hours. This system has far more potential, even with the waste factor. For the real waste to occur, your Pokémon would have to be in a gym for 105 hours, anything less, and your making more than you would have pre-update.
That's definitely true.

I just had my defending Pokémon returned to me about two hours ago (as of this post) and it defended the gym for 8 hours and 26 minutes. Was spot-on at the time I defended and at the time it returned to me to give the full daily cap of 50 coins for the day. I would consider myself very lucky for the first time with the new gym update.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I just had my defending Pokémon returned to me about two hours ago (as of this post) and it defended the gym for 8 hours and 26 minutes. Was spot-on at the time I defended and at the time it returned to me to give the full daily cap of 50 coins for the day. I would consider myself very lucky for the first time with the new gym update.

That's cool. I just got pretty lucky myself as well. Earlier today I had a Pokémon return to me with 50 coins, and then, only four minutes after midnight, I just had another return to me with 50 coins, so I only just barely managed to get those. By the way, if people didn't know, that means the 50 coin limit resets at midnight, not 24 (or 21) hours after the last collection.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't so lucky after all. A half-an-hour later I got kicked out of another gym, and didn't get any coins from that at all. I can't be upset, as I'm still earning more coins than I would have before, but I do admit this system can at least feel like a bummer at times. Though, what I want to know is who is going around taking gyms after 12 AM? That's just absurd. I hope it's not spoofers.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I really need to watch some analysis videos, because I don't have a clue what's what and why.. xD

The person that wins does get priority. The major failure was not allowing people on the same team to add pokemon when the gym is being attacked.

My friend and I took a red gym down together. His battle happened to be the one that kicked the last pokemon out. I wasn't able to add a pokemon because he had priority. He added his Gyarados, making the gym blue, but I was still unable to add any pokemon after because someone in their car immediately attacked the gym, and I kept getting a message that I couldn't add a pokemon because the gym was under attack.

This... I tried to join a gym where there was just a single Gyarados, but I couldn't. It just feels like you're having to watch a "friend" die, while you can't help. Before the update, you could at least "fight against the stream".

Makes you wonder why spoofers play this game. That just can't be fun.

Same problem here, the same crowd all of the time. Though I just learned that a certain "spoofer" with two accounts is actually an elderly couple on their bikes today.. xD

That would explain why I got 50 coins though I couldn't make head or tails from it. I had a Dragonite in a gym for about 10 hours and an Espeon for about 9 (19 in total between them, so I don't know the specifics), but I got 50 coins.

As for what I would rather want, I don't know. I'm usually not into taking down gyms, because I don't have a squad with me - I play solo. So I usually take down gyms level 2 to 5. The most gyms I've ever held on a day was 8. The most I usually had was 1 or 2, but those could last for quite some time. So it probably is better for me? 1h40m = 21hours pre-rework. But if it doesn't stick for more than 1h40, then I'm losing coins as opposed to pre-rework.

Immediate update:

My Dragonite just got kicked out of a gym. I received 2 meager coins.. Which honestly is quite disappointing. My Rhydon is still in the neighboring gym (56m now), but I doubt that will last long, when the one right next to it got taken down as well.

So a good possibility that I'll only be able to get a few more coins today and then I'll have to search out/battle a gym again. While pre-rework I'd have 20coins guaranteed. Rhydon needs to stay in the gym for at least 2 more hours before I break even.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Huh, I was able to add pokemon to two separate yellow gyms at my college right after they were taken over. There was 1 pokemon each there and now they're still there. It's been like 16 hours or something so hopefully I can finally get some coins from a gym. The most I've ever gotten is 10 coins lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.