• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Wars Discussion

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Approved by RaZoR LeAf

Okay, finally made this! This is for discussion, organizing, and plotting of Gym Wars. I'll repost about the plot style.

Now... the plot of this is really simple. I don't have many complications planned past what's in the intro post and the Leader's sign-ups. So that means it's open to subplots or arcs that you guys come up with too.

My arc plans are as follows:

MAIN -the struggle of the three Gyms for acceptance

Recruitment: as described in the Start-Up section

Rebuilding: Time spent on this depends on the Gym: Koga's obviously in this for around two months, while the others may only take weeks. This includes redesigning puzzles and other obstacles.

Kanto League Festival: This will occur around the halfway point. It's a large gathering of all the Kanto Gyms.

Judgement: Occuring in the last two weeks, this is the final arc.

HISTORY -this explores the backgrounds or current lives of the Gym Leaders. Second arc listed generally won't happen until the RP hits spring.

Koga
Legal Matters: He has a number of accusations to defend against, including allowing his previous building to blow up.

Contest Hall: In order to gain the acceptance of the local coordinators, he may have to become one himself.

Surge Jr
Family Ties: Dealing with his father in the mental hospital might be as difficult as taking over the Gym

Stars: With a new guitarist on hand, Surge's old bandmates send themselves into superstardom... by turning to pop rock. This really annoys the old fans, who want Bolt Guitar back.

Camilla
Forest Developers: Viridian Forest belongs to no one. This could be changed when some land developers start to show interest.

Desert Thieves: Some new criminals start to harass the people of Viridian and Pallet. They seem to know Camilla.

_=-

I might as well talk about how I handle Gym difficulty. Some people use a ranking system; Brock's Gym would be definite easiest while Giovanni's is definite hardest (or maybe Sabrina by 1st gen standards). I, of course, had to try something more complicated.

I use a Tier system in which the amount of Badges the Challenger has dictates how many Gym Trainers need to be challenged and how the Gym Leader fights. There are five tiers, but most challengers will only fight the first four. This is how it runs for the Leaders.

1st tier: 0-1 badges, limited power, very limited healing, at most 3 Pokemon
2nd tier: 2-3 badges, limited power, limited healing, at most 4 Pokemon
3rd tier:4-5 badges, limited healing, at most 5 Pokemon
4th tier: 6-7 badges, slightly limited, full party allowed.
5th tier: request only, no limits (Leader is using their full potential)

I always had the feeling that you weren't facing the Gym Leaders at their full greatness. How else could a kid defeat an experienced battler? There is the chance that I might scrap this if it proves awkward for this story. I'll be experimenting quite a bit with my style/format here.

Waiting on lifesharker and rotrum for the interview section.

Last edited:

lorddarigarn

Bane of Optomists.
I like it. It makes practical sense and, presuming the standars are agreed through all the gyms, it means that no one gym will normally be much harder than another (though of course there's always going to be slight differences) and allows a trainer to focus on types he has an advantage against until he gets stronger.

Flintlock

Watch Glass
Just a question; this game is closer to the anime rather than the games, isn't it? Since Koga's no longer a gym leader (he's been promoted to elite four :p) in the 2nd gen games and his daughter, Jasmine, has taken over (Just wanting to make sure, I'm guessing you're just ignoring this bit of canon, or possibly this happens afterwards?). Possibly she might make an appearance in the story or doesn't she exist in this storyline? Maybe a reference to this?

Last edited:

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I never saw the anime beyond that first movie with Mewtwo, so I can't base anything off that. I played Crystal, but my game has a dead battery, so I didn't remember Jasmine beyond seeing her at Sunyshore. So, I completely ignored all that when making this plotline.

I suppose now that you reminded me, I might have Jasmine appear. Although, I made Koga be 35, sooo... reasonably, she'd be around 13-4. Considering that, I'm going to bump him up to 39, so she can be 17 and be off traveling somewhere.

Oh yeah, and like I told CyberBlastoise, while we're waiting on those last two, you can post whatever else you happen to be doing that morning.

Last edited:

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Sorry I didn't post sooner Ys, wrote the whole thing when I got the pm then forgot to post it when the RP went live. Epic fail.

Koga's daughter is Janine, not Jasmine.

SoS is quite right. Jasmine is the Olivine city gym leader who uses steel types (from GSC), and later appears in Sunnyshore in DPPt. Janine is Koga's daughter who leads the Fushcia gym in GSC due to Koga's promotion to the E4.

Son_of_Shadows

*is awesome at random Pokemon trivia* Anyway, I noted something in Lifesharker's post that made me think; where exactly is Koga holding Gym Battles, if the Gym itself hasn't been rebuilt yet?

lorddarigarn

Bane of Optomists.
The interview will take place in the Safari Zone Lodge (that building just south of the Main Entrance) in the morning. The battles will take place outside in the afternoon, near that zoo they keep out front.

Asked just a bit before the IC began.

Flintlock

Watch Glass
Darg; yay for mixing up names. I knew her name started with a J, but the only one I could think of was Jasmine (it's been a long time since I played 2nd gen and I never had much of a focus on Kanto).

Handy?

It's that one guy
I quite like the tier system, and I think it works quite well.

A quick question, is their a PC system in this? As in, if you catch more than six Pokemon, can you put them in a PC, or do you have to like, leave them at your home or the day care center?

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
There is a PC system, the standard in-game one. Or you could leave them with someone else to take care of, whatever your character would want.

Son_of_Shadow's last post made me think about Contests. You are allowed to enter if you wish (I'd make sure it's an in-game day when other things are happening, so things don't stall out). You would be entering under the Gym's name, so to speak, as that would boost your Gym's reputation.

I was planning on only having one Contest Hall in Kanto, but the bit about the Contest Pass is too funny to cut out. There's five ranks, right? So then...

Amateur rank is obviously in Cerulean. The Fuchsia hall I want to be mid-rank. Master's Rank would require a classy kind of town, either Saffron or Celadon (leaning towards the latter). To balance things out, there could be one on the west side of Kanto. Pallet's too small, and Pewter doesn't really strike me as Contest town material... so that gives us Viridian. And since the other two Gyms have a Contest Hall, might as well stick the last at Vermillion. It can be on that plot of land the old guy never built on!

Ideas on this? I don't really do Contests myself, although I have a fair idea of how they work.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
The contest halls sound good. I'd go with Celadon for the Master Rank, myself. Also, I assume that the contest halls in Vermillion and Viridian have no problems with the gyms, unlike Fuschia.

masterleo

Order Up!
Can the non-bug gym trainers compete in contests, or is that a bug exclusive thing?

greywolf123

Hey, Its been bugging me, how exactly does a fish pokemon work in rp? I've never done it before, and now I'm not exactly sure what to do.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Hey, Its been bugging me, how exactly does a fish pokemon work in rp? I've never done it before, and now I'm not exactly sure what to do.

Well, I considered having on in my team so I'll share with you how I planned it..

a) You could have the pokemon hop about on land. Although this seems silly Misty's goldeen did it in a pokemon short and got around quite well too.

b) Your in vermillion right? You could aks to battle outside and realise your pokemon into the water to battle, since the gym is right next to the sea.

Ybbob

Will you PM us telling us how to format and play out our battle with the gym leader? Past the fact that it's 1v1, I don't know what to do, should it just be a quick test of battling ability, or should one person actually win/lose.

BTW, nice, you got a discussion topic up and the tier system with the gym leaders seems very intruiging, obviously, the gym leader's shouldn't have pokemon with levels at around 12-14 in actuality.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I've seen it done in fanfics where the Gyms always had to have a pool as a standard installation. So I'm using that here, although... in Vermillion, Bolt probably would have you fight outside, since he doesn't want to risk anything happening when he uncovers the pool. It could be a problem in Fuchsia for a bit, but I think the only Water Pokemon there now is a Qwilfish which, so I was told, can fight out of water. So it would depend on the Pokemon; I don't think a Goldeen or Finneon would fight out of water, but Qwilfish, Gyrados, Milotic, and the like, could.

@Mrmagius, you want to fully RP the battle with me or just have me surprise you with your opponent and you take it from there? The former method would take a while, especially to get through everybody. Of course, I've also been toying with using a DnD system with a d20 to solve PC vs PC battles. Once I have someone(s) willing to be a test subject, of course.

@Ybbob: It's a test, so nobody has to win/lose. That's why Camilla had Butterfree wait a moment, to see how Tim would start out. I wrote up another battle that was ended with a Hypnosis, only to find out that the Pokemon I was using couldn't use Hypnosis, or any Sleep-inducing moves. I think it should... anyhow.

Last edited: