• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gym Wars Discussion

greywolf123

I think I'll go with the battiling outside, because lanturn's more of a aquatic pokemon in my opinion. As for a volenteer for the system, I'd be willing to try, at least to scope it out.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Just thought I'd add that I'm also willing to guinea pig for your PC vs PC battles idea, and that my battle against Koga is coming soon.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I'l let you RP out the test battle if you want. Since it is a test battle, it can be cut short without any KOs, so long as there is a good show of your character's ability and strategy. If you're not sure, you can send it by PM to me to check (already did this once).

Other things I was just thinking about... Camilla probably won't use her Shedinja for this because it will either be a: you can't hurt it or b: it only takes one shot to KO. Again, the Leader's Pokemon are listed by relative difficulty. The last ones listed (Butterfree, Voltorb, and Koffing) are still being trained. And that last position Pokemon does have to be a bit weak for the tier system to work.

For those of you who want to try out the DnD system, tell me which Pokemon are being battled. I'll decide the outcome by difficulty modifiers on a 20-sided dice roll par.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
@Mrmagius, you want to fully RP the battle with me or just have me surprise you with your opponent and you take it from there? The former method would take a while, especially to get through everybody. Of course, I've also been toying with using a DnD system with a d20 to solve PC vs PC battles. Once I have someone(s) willing to be a test subject, of course.

Well I did assume the former but I'll do whatever you'd prefer. When you said "surprise you with your opponent" does that means you'll set us up against each other?

Once again, I don't mind what method you choose, your call.

lorddarigarn

Bane of Optomists.
I sort of like the idea of the test being as much a show of writing as of battling, but I could do a DnD. You've already seen my original post, but I'll cut it down, don't worry.

greywolf123

For the DnD battle, I was thinking Raichu versus Lanturn, somewhat of a challenge, but not impossible.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@Mrmagius: I meant did you want me to pick your opponent Pokemon. The longer battles will likely have back and forth writing, but for this singles round, it might be more efficient for just you challengers to write it. At least, I think so.

@Jason-Kun: Don't need to win. You need to show that you know what you're doing. The mistake Tim made was going exclusively with a first-evo Pokemon that naturally learns just two attacks.

Okay, the dice system. BASICS: In case anybody here hasn't played Dungeons and Dragons, here's how it goes. There will be a set number, out of 20, with which my dice roll has to beat in order for the proposed challenger to win. For instance, a regular Trainer vs Trainer battle has a set par of 10. The challenger needs to have a roll 10 or higher to win the battle/round.

But there's the modifier numbers. If the Challenger has a Pokemon with a type advantage over the Opponent, there is a -1 modifier, so the par is down to 9. There's other modifiers too, and the set par is different for certain opponents.

And there's the extremes. If the dice roll is 1, the Challenger mades a horrible mistake or simply had the worst luck possible (Ex: the Pokemon somehow trips and gives the opponent a free shot at KO). If the dice roll is 20, something extremely lucky happens to help the Challenger (Ex: Critical hit leading to OHKO).

GENERAL: The dice roll determines the outcome; you need to roleplay how it happens. The margin can give you an idea of how close the match is.

I have lifesharker's match outcome. I'll put up the modifiers now, so if anyone thinks something's off or should be done differently, make a suggestion. I'd like to get this ironed out before we get into having PC League Challengers around.

Note that I assume test matches are being played at Tier 1. Otherwise, Simon's Tier level is 3.

Weepingbell vs Weezing
GL battle par: 15

Leader Modifiers
Type Res: +1
Tier1: -3
Final evo: +1

Challenger Modifiers
None

Final par: 14
Dice roll: 12
Result: Weepingbell loses

greywolf123

I like it! Seems logical, and will help us get though quicker matches, with less importance.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Okay, I've got the other two.

greywolf123
Raichu vs Lanturn

Leader Modifier
final evo: +1

Challenger Modifiers
final evo: -1

final par: 12
dice roll: 13
Outcome: Lanturn wins

TheSequelReturns
Haunter va Arbok

Leader Modifier
Tier 1: -3

Challenger Modifier
Type Res: -1

final par: 12
dice roll: 3
Outcome: Haunter loses

Ouch, sometimes the dice roll comes up bad. In case you're wondering, I didn't do type resistance for Raichu and Lanturn because I figured it evened out. Electrics resist each other and Lanturn's typing causes it to normalize. On the other hand, Poisons resist each other, but Haunter has a double resistance to Poison attacks.

Arbok does have some dark type moves; they don't count (no STAB), but that could explain the result.

Cyber Robert

Shockingly Lovely
I suppose DnD system will work...I pm'd it to you but just in case...

Cory Velos
Shedinja vs. Scyther

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Already PM'd CyberBlastoise about his results. Here's the other two

Son_of_Shadows
Golbat vs Muk
GL par: 15

Leader Modifier

Challenger Modifier
none

final par: 13
dice roll: 14
outcome: Golbat wins

Jason-kun
Scyther vs Scyther
GL par 15

Leader Modifier
vs male: +1 (Skyra has Attract...)

Challenger Modifier
none

final par: 13
dice roll: 13
outcome: um... draw? Or very narrow win/loss.

I told you she was a flirt.

greywolf123

Well, That works for me, but I was working off volt absorb myself, which makes it immune to electric attacks. Still, that seems reasonable to me.