• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hack-Check Thread (Read the OP for simple hack-checking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Banned
It was likely RNGed in R/S, I don't have any more info to get a better guess on though, sadly. I know it wasn't Emerald, and I know it similarly wasn't R/S with a dead battery (which has as poor of an RNG as Emerald).

I say it's legal, at least. I would be able to do more investigations if we still had Pokecheck or something though, as I could easily find out how it was obtained (hacked/RNGed) via its PID.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
It was likely RNGed in R/S, I don't have any more info to get a better guess on though, sadly. I know it wasn't Emerald, and I know it similarly wasn't R/S with a dead battery (which has as poor of an RNG as Emerald).

I say it's legal, at least. I would be able to do more investigations if we still had Pokecheck or something though, as I could easily find out how it was obtained (hacked/RNGed) via its PID.

we mostly need someone that has rnged before check this pokemon as well as Im not sure how to work my reporter for 3rd gen to search the spread :/ I only can search 4th and 5th gen. I know for sure though 4th gen is limited on spreads for shinies as we as some spreads don't even exist on 4th gen but if we had someone check it that knows and rnged before on 3rd gen as of now im not sure if its legal. Also, pokecheck was pretty poor on checking 3rd generation mons hacks i noticed there was alot of things that said it was legal but it wasn't got to be careful because someone told me that did rng 3rd gen it was a hack for one of my mons someone traded me here which was a bummer because check showed everything legal. I do remember though someone saying though spreads on 3rd gen was pretty much limited too so hopefully we can have someone check this properly.

Trevenant

Banned
4th gen is limited on spreads for shinies
It isn't. ID abuse.

I do remember though someone saying though spreads on 3rd gen was pretty much limited too so hopefully we can have someone check this properly.
They are, but Ruby/Sapphire and FR/LG aren't necessarily forced to always use the same seed, unlike Emerald which is due to a programming error (though ID Abuse can still allow good IV spreads for a shiny legendary/wild Pokemon, or something).

R/S could have a dreadfully poor RNG too if the internal battery (real-time clock) dies, as then the seed remains static always, similar to Emerald.

We don't have access to its .pkm or .pkx file, so there's nothing more anyone could do to help as far as legality checking goes.
I have limited experience RNGing in Emerald (I lack many reasons to do it, honestly), but I know how to RNG in each gen, though I lack the skill to do so post-Gen 3.

As you said though, even good hack-checks can't properly detect Gen 3 Pokemon. Which is why all Wish Chansey are assumed to be hacked - for a good reason, there's nothing different between a supposed "real" one and one that was bred on FR/LG but hacked to have Wish/Sweet Scent as an egg.

Arbalest

Collector
Pokémon Species: Kyogre
Nickname: カイオーガ
OT: セロキ (that's roughly it)
OT Gender: /
IDno: 18743
Shiny?: No
EVs: None
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits
Ability: Drizzle
Moves: Hydro Pump | Rest | Sheer Cold | Double-Edge
Level Caught at: /
Current Level: Lv. 70
Stats: 241/147/152/259/222/152
Location Caught: Hoenn
Egg?: /
Pokeball Caught In: Ultra Ball

My only concern, as I said a while ago, is the perfect IV spread and the apparent provenience from a gen III game (Emerald?), where RNG didn't work so smoothly
If it doesn't have EVs you could atleast try to figure out all the IVs, and then you would see that with those stats they're clearly 31/28/31/31/31/31, and then with some basic RNG knowledge it becomes a very obvious hack since there is no Modest spread like that available for Hoenn Legends.

As you said though, even good hack-checks can't properly detect Gen 3 Pokemon. Which is why all Wish Chansey are assumed to be hacked - for a good reason, there's nothing different between a supposed "real" one and one that was bred on FR/LG but hacked to have Wish/Sweet Scent as an egg.
The major hack checking programs of 4th/5th gen didn't work well for 3rd gen mons because they often weren't programmed to, or atleast not programmed to check multiple things. A person familiar with 3rd gen mechanics works fine.

And there is a difference between a legal Wish Chansey and a random* breed that has Wish hacked/glitched on, but it usually requires viewing hidden data and knowing what to look for. The reason they're often assumed hacked is because most are hacked, and even a legal one has a high chance of being hacked.

*it is possible to RNG an egg on FR/LG specifically to look like a legal Wish Chansey, teach Mimic, then use the Mimic/Rage glitch in 4th gen to give it Sweet Scent/Wish. But nobody else is crazy enough to do that, and it would still look different than what most people think a legal Wish Chansey should look like.

Trevenant

Banned
and then with some basic RNG knowledge it becomes a very obvious hack since there is no Modest spread like that available for Hoenn Legends.
We'd need a better RNG Reporter for Gen 3. Via ID abuse (which is poorly documented for Gen 3), it is possible to get 6IV Shiny Timid spreads for Emerald of all things.

Barring that, more poorly documented things would include that R/S have 100% exploitable RNGs like Gen 4/5 in that they don't always start on the same seed provided the game has a working real-time clock/internal battery. Something like that would probably allow some previously unheard of IV spreads.

And there is a difference between a legal Wish Chansey and a random* breed that has Wish hacked/glitched on, but it usually requires viewing hidden data and knowing what to look for. The reason they're often assumed hacked is because most are hacked, and even a legal one has a high chance of being hacked.
False. It lacks the Fateful Encounter flag and it uses the hatcher's ID/SID/OT.

In no generation of Pokemon games does the baby retain info about its parents (Egg Moves or Poke Ball passing doesn't count. You still can't tell much about the parents to know if they had an illegal PID/etc.) - which is the only way you would know a glitched/hacked Wish Chansey/etc from an event one. It's sad, but true.

There's nothing that would identify it as "definitely/possibly event" or "legally hacked/glitched", both are the same.

Last edited:

Arbalest

Collector
We'd need a better RNG Reporter for Gen 3. Via ID abuse (which is poorly documented for Gen 3), it is possible to get 6IV Shiny Timid spreads for Emerald of all things.

Barring that, more poorly documented things would include that R/S have 100% exploitable RNGs like Gen 4/5 in that they don't always start on the same seed provided the game has a working real-time clock/internal battery. Something like that would probably allow some previously unheard of IV spreads.
The current RNG reporter is fine for 3rd gen RNGing. ID abuse for dead battery R/S is well documented (no point in doing it with a live battery unless you really want a novelty TID/SID combo), ID abuse for FR/LG/E is poorly documented but is also strictly emulator only territory, which is often poorly documented anyways.

Live Battery R/S is poorly documented because only a handful of people have done it due to the time, effort, and RNG knowledge involved, and the fact it uses a (somewhat) controllable starting seed only means that more spreads become feasible for retail abuse. The RNG is a loop, the seed only determines where you start and therefore how far away your target is, not what appears on the loop.

False. It lacks the Fateful Encounter flag and it uses the hatcher's ID/SID/OT.
PCNY Wish events were given out as Fateful encounters, but there was a (somewhat obscure) method of getting them without the Fateful flag when hatched. I've not transferred any legal ones to X/Y to confirm the Fateful flag remains, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

In no generation of Pokemon games does the baby retain info about its parents (Egg Moves or Poke Ball passing doesn't count. You still can't tell much about the parents to know if they had an illegal PID/etc.) - which is the only way you would know a glitched/hacked Wish Chansey/etc from an event one. It's sad, but true.
FR/LG eggs use one method of generating the IVs/PID (technically two for different parts that combine to form the finished egg, but you get the point), the PCNY Wish events used a different and comparably very limited method of generating the IVs/PID. You're better off buying a lotto ticket than hoping your randomly bred egg will have recieved an IV/PID combo that happens to be legal for both methods.

There's nothing that would identify it as "definitely/possibly event" or "legally hacked/glitched", both are the same.
There is of course no way to identify a true "legally hacked/glitched" Wish Chansey, but you're not likely to get one just by throwing a Chansey and Ditto into the Daycare and hacking/glitching Wish onto it.

Trevenant

Banned
PCNY Wish events were given out as Fateful encounters, but there was a (somewhat obscure) method of getting them without the Fateful flag when hatched. I've not transferred any legal ones to X/Y to confirm the Fateful flag remains, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

The fateful encounter flag doesn't stick after transfer anyway. In Gen 3, it's the location data (i.e.: "Met in Pewter City", or something.), not additional blurb like in Gen 4 and onward.

the PCNY Wish events used a different and comparably very limited method of generating the IVs/PID.
I've always heard this but no one has ever been able to document what Method it uses. But there's also the fateful encounter rumor which isn't true, so who knows.

I'm almost positive a Pokemon in any gen can't hatch as a Fateful Encounter.

ArchangelUnmei

Shiny Cottonball!
Got this on a WT, it looks to me like a cloned SR from HGSS, but the fact it's in a Pokeball rather than something higher makes me suspicious. =/

Pokemon Species: Ho-oh
Nickname: None
OT: Lynch
OT Gender: Can't tell
IDno: 28113
Shiny?: Yes
EV's: (if known) Few/none according to the Super Training progress bar
IV's: (if known) 27/22/16,17/15/22,23/16,17 assuming no EVs
Nature: Bashful
Characteristic: Nods off a lot
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Extrasensory, Sunny Day, Fire Blast, Sacred Fire
Level Caught at: Can't tell
Current Level: 70
Stats: 247/202/142/169/236/142
Location Caught: Can't Tell
Egg?: No
Pokeball Caught In: Pokeball
Any other notes?: "Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Johto region." Also has the Legend Ribbon, given in HGSS for defeating Red at Mt. Silver.

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Got this on a WT, it looks to me like a cloned SR from HGSS, but the fact it's in a Pokeball rather than something higher makes me suspicious. =/

Any other notes?: "Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Johto region." Also has the Legend Ribbon, given in HGSS for defeating Red at Mt. Silver.

Looks legal enough to the eye. I don't see why it can't be caught in a Pokeball.

dewey911p

primus inter pares

Pretty sure it's hacked. The only valid IV combo returned a seed that requires Cute Charm, and since Ho-oh is genderless, CC doesn't affect it. Unless I overlooked an IV combo, there is no valid spread with that nature for a genderless legendary.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I'm almost positive a Pokemon in any gen can't hatch as a Fateful Encounter.

Except for the Year of the Dragon eggs. I'm very sure the YOTD eggs do hatch with Fateful Encounter tag.

Eternalhero

Trainer/Breeder
Hi guys I need help. I traded a long time ago but I just want to make sure this is legit.

Shiny Level 100 Latios

Name Latios
Attack 171
Defense 196
Sp. Atk 358
Sp.Def 256
Speed 349
HP 302/302

OT CHEVAR
ID NO 39189

Levitate

Nature Timid
Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Johto Region.

Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas

Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power
Psyshock
Surf

It's pokeball is a Dive Ball

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Hi guys I need help. I traded a long time ago but I just want to make sure this is legit.

Shiny Level 100 Latios

Name Latios
Attack 171
Defense 196
Sp. Atk 358
Sp.Def 256
Speed 349
HP 302/302

OT CHEVAR
ID NO 39189

Levitate

Nature Timid
Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos region from the Johto Region.

Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas

Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power
Psyshock
Surf

It's pokeball is a Dive Ball

CHEVAR is a known RNGer from Smogon, so the pokemon should be legal (HP Fire no doubt, probably with a 31/6/31/30/31/30 IV spread if I had to guess). There is always the possibility someone hacked one of his pokemon, but there is no way to know that for sure unless pokecheck or a related service ever comes online. Either way, the OT is a known RNGer so you should be safe in assuming it is legal.

On another note, good luck with your Feebas MM hunt!

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Whelp, requesting hack check again. Got this one from Wonder Trade.
Pretty sure this came from HGSS via Celadon Game Corner (and yes can be bred with Ditto, I believe), but I'm more suspicious of the OT because of the font/text.

Pokémon Species: Porygon-Z
Nickname: ポリゴンZ (Porygon-Z in Japanese)
OT: JOSH
OT Gender: Cannot be determined.
IDno: 31415
Shiny?: Yes.
EV's: 6 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
IV's: 31/x/31/31/31/31 (Outstanding potential according to IV judge.)
Nature: Timid
Characteristic: Takes plenty of siestas.
Ability: Adaptability
Moves: Tri Attack / Dark Pulse / Psyshock / Nasty Plot
Level Caught at: Doesn't say.
Current Level: 100
Stats: 312 / 156 / 176 / 369 / 186 / 306
Location Caught: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos Region from the Johto Region.
Egg?: No.
Pokéball Caught In: Pokéball.
Any other notes?: The Pokémon is tagged as Japanese, but the OT is not in blocky text. (For example, PC as opposed to PC.)

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Pretty sure this came from HGSS via Celadon Game Corner, but I'm more suspicious of the OT because of the font/text.

Location Caught: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos Region from the Johto Region.
Any other notes?: The Pokémon is tagged as Japanese, but the OT is not in blocky text. (For example, PC as opposed to PC.)
Not sure about the OT, but everything else seems fine (it is possible to RNG abuse for flawless shinies in the Gen 4 games).

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Pretty sure this came from HGSS via Celadon Game Corner, but I'm more suspicious of the OT because of the font/text.

I feel a bit strange about this mon if it came from celedon city corner prize it wouldn't be shiny i am pretty sure that those can't be shiny so it has to be something else in that game which I don't think any other way to get it. I would say this one is a hack. I haven't rnged in awhile but im pretty sure shiny can't be obtained through the corner.

edit: wait a minute i forgot it could be breed with ditto so it may be legal but I am not sure which i ran through the reporter everything checks out atm but it may be a hack. I am not sure about the owner name. i hate how check is down for 4th and 5th gen checks i can't tell now as much who use to be the hacker and still is.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Just traded for this Latias, and I want to see if it's legit. The ID of the Original Trainer and the fact that it was caught in a Pokeball make me a bit suspicious.

Pokémon Species: Latias
Nickname: Latias
OT: Ash
OT Gender: Unknown, probably male
IDno: 01337 (seriously, this can't be coincidence lol)
EV's: 31 HP/44 Attack/34 Defense/44 Speed/32 Sp. Defense/36 Sp. Attack
IV's: No idea, but that one guy said decent potential all around with greatest potential in HP
Nature: Relaxed
Characteristic: Likes to relax
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Mist Ball/Psychic/Rest/Charm
Level Caught at: Doesn't say
Stats: 286/180/221/241/278/218
Location Caught: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos Region from the Hoenn Region.
Pokéball Caught In: Pokéball
Any other notes?: N/A

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I was just a little suspicious because of the ID of the OT and the fact that it was caught in a Pokeball, is all.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Just traded for this Latias, and I want to see if it's legit. The ID of the Original Trainer and the fact that it was caught in a Pokeball make me a bit suspicious.

IV's: No idea, but that one guy said decent potential all around with greatest potential in HP
Location Caught: Seems to have traveled across both space and time in order to reach the Kalos Region from the Hoenn Region.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I was just a little suspicious because of the ID of the OT and the fact that it was caught in a Pokeball, is all.
It is possible to catch a Latias in a Pokeball, but unfortunately the OT and ID is a known combination for a Pokemon that has been hacked.

Although Latias can be caught in a default Pokeball, that OT: Ash ID:01337 is a hacker's combo that is as common as water.

EDIT: Well someone is a fast typer!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I feel a bit strange about this mon if it came from celedon city corner prize it wouldn't be shiny i am pretty sure that those can't be shiny so it has to be something else in that game which I don't think any other way to get it. I would say this one is a hack. I haven't rnged in awhile but im pretty sure shiny can't be obtained through the corner.

This is wrong, a lot of people has obtained shinies from SR-ing the game corner prize. In Gen 4 and lower, all "in-game gift" Pokemon can be shiny.

The OT for that P-Z is indeed suspicious, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.