• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hacked Mons though Surprise Trade - record your experiences

Copley Hill Gym

Hoping this may help a few people in regards Surprise Trades.

Recently I received two hacked shiny Pokemon in surprise trades. One was an Oranguru - didn't look hacked at first, but it had been caught, and had perfect IVs, which is very, very unlikely!

The second one was more obvious - Iron Bundle, Shiny, perfect IVs, caught in Area Zero, Level 100, name of "HaveAGift". Clearly hacked.

The clincher though is that unlike other shiny Pokemon I have caught myself or got through trades, both of the pokedex entries for these two hacked pokemon don't update to show the relevant shiny.

I am considering what I do with these - ultimately they can't be used in online battling (I don't want to get my account banned, thanks) and sending them off via surprise trade is passing the problem on. Release seems the best solution?

Anyway, look out for the signs, and obviously it's up to the individual to use hacked mons or not, but just thought I'd give a heads up that might help.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Typically, what I do is that I check if they're holding an item. If they are, I take it, then release the Pokémon. Holding onto them is a liability. There are checks for the presence of these hacked Pokémon, and you might get suspended or worse if they catch you with them.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I haven’t seemed to have gotten any Hacks yet but then again I haven’t used Surprise Trade all that much and when I do, it is mostly the weaker Pokémon met early on in the games although I did get a Sprigatto and a Japanese Lv 80 Salamence. The Salamence is definitely legit because of its level being under 100 and it isn’t Shiny and there is a location description of where it was met and at what level. I think someone might have accidentally traded it because it seems to have been met as a Bagon due to the level met.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Before I explain my experience I would like to mention that technically those aren’t “hacked” in the traditional sense as they qualify for everything for legality in Pokémon. Hacking would be putting something into the game that shouldn’t be there such as any Hisui Pokémon or the like. What we usually receive is “genned” or artificially generated Pokémon. But, I digress…

I sent out a few level ball Charcadet to see what I may get back. Got a Pokémon back with one of those “.com” names so I knew it wasn’t legitimately obtained. It was holding a Beast Ball so I did take the item because the 0.1% chance of winning it from the champion tournament is just the worst odds. The Pokémon was released back into the wild where I hope to meet it again some day.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I got a level 100 shiny Charizard with one of them website names so that's trash. But I also got a shiny Scorbunny named HappyNewYear and that seems considerably less...malicious, if that makes sense.