• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hacked pokemon good or bad???

FinalMinuet

There are many different ways to look at game hacking/editing. All in all, it depends on how you want to enjoy the game that you paid for.

1. Hacking is completely wrong and unacceptable. People who hack their games, even for Pokédex completion, are cheaters. This is one extreme. Some people find pleasure in knowing that all their efforts have been completely, 100% legitimate.

2. Hacking is only acceptable for obtaining that which is normally unobtainable, such as event-only Pokémon like Mew and Jirachi. Some people don't want to feel left out because they don't live in a certain city/country and want to be able to enjoy these special Pokémon like others can.

3. Hacking is a substitute for having another Game Boy do trade with. This involves hacking only those Pokémon that are only obtainable on another version of the game. Some people don't have friends who play (such as older players like myself) and want to be able to experience Pokémon as it was supposed to be experienced without buying a second Game Boy, the other game version, and a link cable (a $75+ venture, possibly).

4. Hacking is a way to experience the game on a whole new level. This is the other extreme. Some people, once they beat the standard game, aren't satisfied with the game and want more. So they hack max-gene Pokémon with moves they couldn't possibly know, like Amnesia on a Charizard instead of Swords Dance. This may be for pure pleasure, this may be for strategic analysis. Some people find pleasure in opening up the realm of possibilities and exploring it. If you haven't figured it out, this is where I stand.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do with your game and your time. If you want to enjoy it, then enjoy it how you want.

As a side note: there are two different kinds of hacks for collecting Pokémon: complete and incomplete.

An incomplete hack is where the species identifier of a Pokémon (the 1 or 2 byte value that identifies what species the Pokémon is) is changed, but nothing else (except the name, possibly), leaving it with stats of the original Pokémon it overrides. For example, if you had a L5 Pidgey and hacked it to become a Mew, you would have a L5 Mew named Pidgey that would know Gust and Sand-Attack and that was still a Normal/Flying type. This does not update your Pokédex (that must be done through a separate hack).

A complete hack is where all the data is modified to create a natural Pokémon. This involves hacking the type data (2 bytes), the name data (11+ bytes), the move data (4 bytes), and possibly assorted data like DVs, nature, shiny status, gender, etc. This also does not update your Pokédex (that must be done through a separate hack). This is the method Nintendo uses at Nintendo Events, because they happen to know where the data values are and what to use (so does any game hacker who has spent 5 minutes on Google).

So technically, if you think hacking is completely wrong, then you should never have a Mew, Jirachi, or whatever else, because they are all just a product of hacking.

PS: Hacking is such an ugly term. C'est la vie...

Jackson

so...are you saying a complete hack is better than an uncomplete? becousei know my jirachi is complete. but i know lets just call hacking "cheating" is wroung and all but theres no way for me to get a jirachi other than that inless some one trades it to me and i do think some one will. well not for what i got.

FinalMinuet

One would think, but that's not necessarily the case.

In RBY, you could force a Pokémon's stats to be recalculated by storing them in a box, then pulling them back out.

For the technical explanation: An in-party Pokémon used up 66 bytes, including its data, its name, and its trainer's name. Since there were 12 boxes that held 20 Pokémon each, that would be 15,840 bytes, or ~15.5KB, almost half the total save space. By not storing a Pokémon's stats when it stored in a box and simply recalculating them when it was withdrawn, a Pokémon could be stored using 55 bytes, reducing the required space down to 13,200 bytes, or ~12.9KB.

Now, if I changed a L5 Pidgey into a L5 Mew using an incomplete hack, it would have a stat spread of 23/14/13/15/13 (assuming a 15/15/15/15/15 DV spread). Force it to recalculate its stats and you pull out a stat spread of 29/19/19/19/19. Much better. I haven't experimented with type reversion yet so I can't say whether or not it'll fix the Normal/Flying to Psychic problem, but it doesn't look like it would.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Okay I hack and cheat, but becuase of that, i'm never going to trade with anyone. I'll battle, but not use metronome. If I can't do wi-fi, then you won't see me there

Jackson

ok....so.... so far i see no real reason to get rid of my jirachi. so ty to all that debated about this. i see that most think its ok to hack as longe as you dont trade them and the arent super powerful. (but not ever one)

-Dragon-

Furret rocks
Event Legendaries are fine for those of us that can't go to events/access Wi-Fi

Stat/move/shiny hacking is a no.

FinalMinuet

I'd hack a shiny if it looked cool. Then again, I really don't care about how many shinies people (claim to) have collected. Once again, personal preference.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
I rarely catch shinies, i just try to catch them all in the grass, actually only the legendaries, final evos, and those who have no evo at all

Jackson

I do think catching a shiny with a cheat is....well...a little bad becouse some people go nuts for shinys and its hard to tell a shiny normal wild pokemon from a hacked shiny normal wild pokemon. so...Inless your getting the shiny just becouse you like its colors better than the normal ones...i think hacking shinys is bad.

raver223

so you are all saying that hacking can be a good thing too. I am looking for advice too. Story: after hacking both firered and emerald, I have restarted both in order to be able to use them with pal park. My question: If I hack both again, In the sense of whatever data is transfered when using pal park, Will it make any difference? (for example)

Virtual Chatot

Circa 2006
Um...Bad

Cheating takes away from the soul or feel of the game...

Once all your pokemon have maxed out stats, no one can beat you and then you eventually get so bored with pokemon you quit playing altogether...

raver223

here we go:
hacking for reason:
glitch preventing you from advancing: a MUST.
impossible to obtain stuff: only if it doesn't make you feel like a bad person.
UBER PWNageness: No.
for the fun of it: talk about it with your friends.

Fire NDS

A former noob
I guess its ok to get the ticket/letter/flute ect.
but getting them in the wild, shiny cheated, leveled up with rare candies, or caught with cheated master ball, its not

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
I just cheat a little with evs becuase i ussually level them up too quickly to level 100 without actually ev training and i always loose at teh Battle Fronteir in EMerald. I just try to be at the point where i can still have a chance to win with a pokemon that does not have 999 stats and 999 HP. I'm not a noob, I've been playing since 1999 and to me the game suddenly feels harder

lord mada

well hacked Pokemon don't always work so thats why i don't use them and train other ways (last time i tried i deleted my save)

said the:;026;

FinalMinuet

Once all your pokemon have maxed out stats, no one can beat you and then you eventually get so bored with pokemon you quit playing altogether...
You can always start a new game.

In my last game of Pokémon Red, I hacked myself all three starters from the beginning, gave them maximum DVs, and trained them all naturally and evenly. I even prevented them from evolving until they learned their best attacks. And you know what happened? I got to the Elite 4 with all three Pokémon at L50...and that's it. I had no backup, and I forgot to teach them any moves besides the ones they learned naturally. I had sold all my TMs because I figured I could just hack any moves I needed. Needless to say, I got wasted.

Hacking those Pokémon helped me learn that I put too much emphasis on the starters. Even if they have max stats, they still won't win every situation. I would have never known that if I hadn't hacked.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that hacking is okay. I'm sharing my experiences, and anyone who happens to see things my way can try something new. That's all. If you don't think hacking is right or appropriate, you're entitled to your opinion, but please don't force that opinion onto others. Thank you.

CRAZIE_GUY

Team Advent Leader
I have done my share of hacking in the past... shiny pokemon with max IVs and 255 ev in all 5 stats, with whatever moves i wanted... it was all fun and games playing alone and with my close friends, but with diamond and pearl i have to keep them in the boxes because ethically it is just wrong to create such an advantage for oneself when playing with honest competitors across the internet... i would not use a hacked pokemon against a stranger.

that being said, i will use hacks to ease the endless monotony of training a pokemon... mostly item hacks, and before i had a strong pokemon in the game (having ditched my starter and all the others i had leveled throughout the story) i did use my shinies to exp share train. other than that, i will use item hacks to maintain a versatile trainer bag...

to me, training a pokemon is a process of deciding what pokemon you want to train, researching it online and deciding the best possible course to go with the nature and moveset. when this involves egg moves, i get a father with that move. when it involves TMs, i get that tm, one way or another. with a hacked bag of 99 of every tm its just that much easier, and brings so many choices into your grasp...

and the berries, those are important too... with hacks i can keep a fully stashed bag of the 5 berries that lower EVs, so that i can reset the EVs when im ready to EV train without worrying about whatever i may have picked up expshare/luckyegg training in the elite four, and without having to go through the painfully slow real-time process of raising berries.

i dont care how anyone trains their pokemon, what matters is the end result... a legally caught pokemon with a real moveset and real stats. training a perfect pokemon is time consuming enough without the limitations of item collecting, and if it were up to me every player would have access to an unlimited supply of TMs and such

also, unless your going for absolutely total full completion of your pokedex, the new games only require you to catch all 482 non-event pokemon in order to achieve the trainer card upgrade, so theres no need to hack for a black trainer card.

Last edited: