• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Had anyone ever read other Pokemon manga other than Pokemon Special?

Allio

TheManlyTrainer
lets see:

Electric tale of Pikachu (4 chapters)
Genji's rescue team (needs a sequel, where genji is a bada** blaziken)
Diamond and Pearl Adventure (my favorite trainer of all time, Hareta)
Pokemon rangers, both of them
Kaitou Pokemon 7
Dialga vs Palkia vs Darkrai movie adaptation

Paperfairy

Pokémon Capture Pro
I've read just about them all. I've a friend in Japan who's scanned them all for archiving purposes, and translates plots loosely for me. The only things I HAVEN'T read are the anime adaptations as well as Card Master.

Let me tell you, while Blackjack is right in that Special's attention is disproportionate, I feel like Special is better than all of them. I am aware that PM is the most popular in Japan, but at least in my eyes, I don't understand Blackjack's argument that others are better than Special. Respect it, yes, but understand it - hell no.

mistycerulean

Well, Special is no doubt my absolute favorite, but I've also read Ginji's Rescue Team and Diamond and Pearl Adventure (volume 1, anyway.)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Let me tell you, while Blackjack is right in that Special's attention is disproportionate, I feel like Special is better than all of them. I am aware that PM is the most popular in Japan, but at least in my eyes, I don't understand Blackjack's argument that others are better than Special. Respect it, yes, but understand it - hell no.

That's a matter of opinion. However, it's like...say you think Casablanca is the best movie ever made. That's a popular opinion. But you can hold that opinion of Casablanca and still talk about other movies, and can do so without comparing them to Casablanca even if they have similar themes in common.

But in here, everything is compared to Special with a slant towards Special all the time. And that's not only unreasonable, it's also completely bizarre.

TehGr81

College graduate
I'm supposed to get the Battle Frontier (not Emerald arc) manga in a couple days. I know it's a few years old, but it's extremely rare on eBay and I've been dying (exaggeration) to get it.

BoxedLunch

I've read pretty much every Pokemon manga there is out there. Nippon Export is a God-send. It'd be much easier to list the ones I HAVEN'T read. I haven't read the movie adaption mangas, Snatcher Reo (would if I could, but those who own it are too freaking stingy to share it, despite the fact that it's out of print and thus impossible to obtain), all other Colosseum- or XD-related mangas (I don't know how many exist, since those didn't get much publicity), and all Ranger-related mangas, including Hidenori's version. I don't really have an interest for Web-comics, and I can't find any Ranger mangas in volume-form (although I've heard they exist). I also haven't read those Pikachu-meets-the-press comics.

Aside from that, though... Yeah, I've read pretty much every manga, thanks to Nippon-Export (which is an eBay-like site, Mods, NOT a read-manga-online one, so I doubt plugging it is against the forum rules). I'd recommend Magical Pokemon Journey (PiPiPi Adventures in Japanese). It's a shoujo-manga, which is really weird considering it's based on a shounen-genre; it actually manages to do the job. It focuses a lot on romance and character-development, which I feel PokeSpecial lacks somewhat. It doesn't have much of a plot, though shoujo-mangas rarely do.

I'd also recommend Pokemon Pocket Monsters and its variants/sequels (Pokemon R-S, Pokemon D-P, and Pokemon HG-SS), but only if you value laughs more than plot and character development. PPM is full of laughs and is very charming at times, very disturbing at others (but in a good way). It's even less story-focused than the anime, though, so if you value story in your mangas, I'd pass this one over. Personally, though, I like it a lot.

Lastly, Pokemon DPA and the Electric Tale of Pikachu are okay, though the latter is somewhat overrated, IMO. It's basically an abridged version of the anime with an Ash that doesn't suck at Pokemon and who actually learns from his mistakes and is a decent trainer. I'm not big on abridged things, though. It doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try, of course. As for DPA... Well, I like it because it's a long manga, and it has story. Although, I don't think it's done nearly as well as PokeSpecial (sorry, I know you're probably sick of hearing about that manga by now XD). But it's still worth reading at least once.

Wanizaru

I've read DP Adventure and Ginji's Rescue Team.

Dark Eevee

I've never actually finished any of the manga, but I've read a few of them.
Special
Diamond and Pearl adventure
Genji's rescue team
some of the movie adaptations
Electric tale of pikachu
and some shoujo I think was called Magical Pokemon Journey