• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Had things gone differently

Captain Brain

What would have happened had the shows come first and the games were based off that instead of the other way around, would anything have changed. How would the anime be different? How would the games be different? ;025;

BCVM22

It's distinctly possible that the games wouldn't be anywhere as deep and as mechanically- and gameplay-oriented as they are, because as a mere video game adaptation of an existing anime franchise, it's unlikely they would be a product of any developer associated with Nintendo.

It is, of course, impossible to give a concrete answer to a hypothetical question such as this.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, for one thing, we'd probably be all stuck as Ash for every single game (ick). We might also have more attacks than just the four we have, and it could be possible the regions would be bigger and take longer to travel to another city/town. Legendaries might not come around unless for a very specific reason (ex. DESTROY WORLD crazy). The rival may/may not be constant and/or annoying, but as for challenging, maybe.

Honestly, I don't know. The anime is based off the games anyway, so there's really not many differences big and small.

The closest answer you could get with this question is Pokémon Yellow.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
The games would be craptastic, compared to what they are, and we might have had a "Pokemon: The First Movie" game with "Brother, my Brother" as the sole background music. *shudder*

muumajii23

I think, as BCVM22 said (You know, I don't even have to look at his name anymore, I just know it.... =P), we would probably lose most of the deep mechanics; see most tv-show games... They are mostly craptacular...

Although, I could see there being more of an emphasis on story, which in my opinion is very much needed.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
See? My word is awesome!
But... it would turn out like... the DragonBall/Z/GT games! (Please don't hurt me! =0)

Erienne

Anime high :D
We might have more options instead, like being able to go as a Coordinator instead of a trainer. That would be fun. ^^;

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
The games would have probably mirrored the TV show and ended up just like ever other movie/anime game. sub par.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Eww... I'd be awful... you'd be stuck as Ash (or maybe Ash and the gang) with a set pokemon team that only alter slightly during gameplay... following a set path in one direction only... there's be long winded anime cutscreens... and... oh... no catching legendaries...

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
It wouldn't have lasted as long as it has now. I'd think the routes would be larger and there would be less in-depth mechanics as we have - I'd expect complex things like EVs and IVs to be scrapped.

We'd probably be stuck as Ash, but would have more freedom in battle - more attacks possibly and the ability to dodge and jump, etc.

Ryonai

Shouro's employee
An adventure game using Ash and Pikachu.

Validus

it would have changed everything... Assuming GF is still the designers (or whatever you'd call them) it might still be a great game. just very very different, in pretty much every way possible

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
We'd have a game that sucks worse than hannah montanna.

The Flash

I like shorts!
We probably would have a less than amazing game. there would probably be the same amount of stuff, just different things. like you would go to the weird places, like the pokemon camp thing.

Rex Kamex

People wouldn't have minded playing Ash as people in this thread are right now because that's what gameplayers would've been used to.

I wonder what the Pokedex would be like, though...

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
People wouldn't have minded playing Ash as people in this thread are right now because that's what gameplayers would've been used to.

I wonder what the Pokedex would be like, though...

U wud probably have to get data from the same pokemon over and over again until your pokedex/ash remembered that hed already seen that pokemon.