• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Happy Darwin Day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crobatman

Yes, today is Darwin Day. Feruary 12, 2009 is the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin, and the 150th anniverary of his book On the Origin of Species.

My school is having something to celebrate his birthday, and I can go for extra credit in my Organic Chemistry class.

It feels wierd to celebrate Charles Darwin, when I never see a day for Newton, Kepler, Einstein, or any other beneficial scientist.
Is there something so wonderful about the theory of evolution and naturalism that I am missing? What is the impact of Darwin's ideas?
I know that people like Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, and Mao followed his ideas politically. Evolutionist turn their eyes away from that past.

Richard Dawkins, Darwin’s famous promoter, put it like this, “I’m a passionate Darwinian when it comes to science, when it comes to explaining the world, but I’m a passionate anti-Darwinian when it comes to morality and politics.” They want it both ways.
reference: The Science Show, ABC Radio, Australia, 22 January 2000

Lol, I even noticed on Google, that they put finches on their main page.

oh, yeah, it is Abe Lincoln's 200th birthday too.

Last edited:

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Yea it is weird that most other scientist like planck and others arent celebrate. But oh well.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARWIN YOU CHANGED OUR WORLD

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
why are you celebrating this? this is a surprise coming from a christian.

also don't forget lincoln's birthday is today as well i think.

.. in fact they were born on the same day.

CONSPIRACY

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
Happy Birthday Darwin, then. Ooh, his birthday is only 6 days before mine.

I wonder why crobatman, a passionate Christian, chose to make this thread?

Pokemonwarrior

I Am Your Nightmare
lol I see a lot of fighting for this thread in the future Religion and Darwin don't work well on this forums it seems most of the time it leads to fighting and closing of threads lol

Any ways Happy b-day Darwin and also Lincoln as stated in GhostAnime's post above

I bet people that hate both Darwin and Lincoln are happy about today lol

Last edited:

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
Why is this in the debate forum?
I heard he married his cousin. So I will make this my favorite day of the year. Happy Charles Darwin day.

That's just wrong poo.

Anyway happy Charles Darwin day.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?

why are you celebrating this? this is a surprise coming from a christian.

Y'know. We Christians may believe in God, but we are not pathetically blind because of our religion. Sure, some of us are, but they just claim that evolution isn't real based upon a story created 4500 years ago. I believe in both God and evolution (and Kochoupink agrees). Is there anything abnormal about that?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
if you've seen as many christians as i have.

... yes. just look in the paradox topic. 3 in the same day?

Profesco

gone gently
What is the impact of Darwin's ideas?
I know that people like Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, and Mao followed his ideas politically. Evolutionist turn their eyes away from that past.

Natural selection does not mean eradicating inferior species, let alone arbitrarily choosing which species (or people in this case) are the inferior ones. It does not even mean "survival of the fittest," as so many people glibly assume. It simply means that the creatures most capable of adapting to a changing environment have the best chance to prosper during difficult times.

A quote by Darwin himself:
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Trying to darken Darwin's theory of evolution by associating it (falsely, perhaps) with the evil dictators of the past won't work.

In any case, this is not a debate, and it's not even any sort of holiday, one-day-only thread material. The topics of specific persons' birthdays are better brought up in the Big Thread O' News.

Ethan

Banned
Happy Birthday Darwin, then. Ooh, his birthday is only 6 days before mine.

Because you can still respect other theories while remaining a person of faith.

It should be remembered that Darwin himself was a clergyman and never renounced his faith even after writing origin of species. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.