1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Hardest and Easiest Elite Four

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by shoz999, Jun 26, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

I've noticed there aren't many Pokemon Polls that talks about this and the ones that do talk about it are either very outdated or they are not only outdated but have very outdated polls locked to Generation 4 or below.

So simple question. What do you think were the Hardest and Easiest Elite Fours ever created?

Personally, I think the hardest and most balanced Elite Four easily has to be 5th generation's take and is also a great example of why 5th generation Pokemon are one of the greatest list of Pokemon out there. The Elite Four of Unova is made up of teams of only four, not five, Unova-exclusive Pokemon at first, each Pokemon having great emphasis on strategy and counters to your own team making it quite the challenge and all the more rewarding once you defeat them.
    • Shauntal's Team consist of tanky ghost-types that are meant to disrupt your team and heavy-hitters like Golurk or Chandelure meant to finish off, or even sweep your entire team.
    • Grimsley's Team is similar to Shauntal's, consisting of Pokemon meant to disrupt your team with abilities like Intimidate or moves like Fake-out however unlike Shauntal's Team, every one of his Pokemon can hit very hard. His two most strongest Pokemon are easily his Bisharp and Krookodile able to do severe damage. However I heard a lot of people consider Grimsley the easiest if you have at least a good fighting type.
    • Caitlin is actually one of the more unique Psychic users as her team isn't based around using status effects, disrupting, or other types of tricks that other Psychic trainers use. Instead her team is based on two things. Protection against status effect and pure sweeping with Special Attack power. Many who went unprepared againt Caitlin have reported that they got absolutely destroyed by her team which consists of monstrously high Special Attack power combined with tons of Special Attack moves that can counter almost every type.
    • Marshal's team is similar to Caitlin's, hits very hard but more focused on the physical attack power over special attack power. Unlike Caitlin's team, Marshal's team is far more tankier and his Mienshao is quite fast, meant to finish off any weakened Pokemon of your team.
    As for the easiest. I would undoubtedly say it would be the Kalos league. Like how the Unova League showed how you shouldn't underestimate Gen 5 Pokemon, the Kalos League showed a lot of weak spots in Gen 6 Pokemon. I won't go into much depth into each member like the Unova Elite Four but I will talk about what's wrong with it as a whole. Unfortunately the 6th generation consist of a lot of glass cannons with a lot of exploitable weaknesses, some which are more glass than cannon. It's due to this that almost none of the Elite Four's Kalos Pokemon stands out. As for the Elite Four as a whole, practically all there Pokemon can easily be sweeped by a particular weakness with no strong counters or effort. Wikstrom for example can easily be defeated by just earthquake. Drasna can easily be defeated by Fairy or Dragon-types moves and by the 6th generation, there are an abundance of Fairy or Dragon-types in this game available more than other generations. Malva can be easily defeated by Rock or Water type moves and Siebold, although I hear he is fairly more challenging thanks to having far more faster heavy-hitters, can also be easily defeated by thunderbolt. Also this was the generation that introduced Mega Evolutions before the post-game hits unlike Sun and Moon and even without Exp. Share, your Pokemon can easily reach levels higher than the Elite Four.

Minedreigon and NovaBrunswick like this.
  2. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

The hardest Elite 4 is probably Unova's. As you said, you shouldn't underestimate Gen 5 Pokémon just because some of them look weird. Caitlin and Shauntal are probably the heaviest hitters - I was electrified (quite literally) by an unexpected Thunderbolt from Caitlin's Gothitelle the first time I went to the League in the original Black. Shauntal's Chandelure also has some nasty tricks up its sleeves - or rather arms with ghostly purple flames - with Fire Blast and Psychic.

Hoenn and Sinnoh's E4 are forces to be reckoned with as well. Lucian can be pretty hard to beat with his Bronzong, unless you chose Chimchar which was now an Infernape at this point, and is still weak to Psychic because of its Fire/Fighting type combo. Drake can also throw you off with his mighty Salamence, which packs Flamethrower to melt your Ice types, on top of having Intimidate which reduces your Attack.

The easiest Elite 4 has to be Kalos. I don't remember having trouble with any of the Elite 4 - I just beat them all without even suffering one faint on my team. I think I did have a little trouble battling Drasna, probably due to her Noivern, but it wasn't much with my Blastoise packing Ice Beam and my Roserade having Dazzling Gleam.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. Ignition

Ignition Torracat is Ash's only good Alolan Pokémon

Hardest? Sinnoh. Only one I actually had trouble with/had a team member faint in. I like how DP's had some "off the wall" picks like Drifblim for Flint. Added more variety and difficulty.

Easiest? Any other one (jk). Seriously though, I'd say either Kanto's, Unova's (BW versions. Not B2W2) and Kalos's. I ran through most of their Pokémon with just my starter (I always choose Fire fyi). Lance especially was a disappointment

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  4. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

Unova was a complete pushover - those teams lose so much teeth with only four team members, and Unova packs plenty of viable species of every type so coverage will rarely be an issue.

I don't recall any ever being 'difficult', per se, but Hoenn definitely had some obnoxious strategies, with that bulky, Sheer Cold-abusing Walrein and Double-Teaming Dusclops. The Salamence had very good coverage for an in-game Pokémon, too.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    NovaBrunswick and shoz999 like this.
  5. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Hardest: I've never played any of the Generation VI/VII games, so I'll go with Sinnoh. Lucian's Alakazam is very fast and has an incredible Special Attack, and his Bronzong is only weak to Fire-type moves and can even take them. Aaron's Drapion is weak only to Ground attacks and can counter Ground-types with Ice Fang, and Flint's Infernape is fast and hits hard.
    Easiest: Probably Johto. Bruno's Onix is a joke, Will has two Xatu, and Karen has a Gengar with Lick for some reason.
    Overall, my ranking from easiest to hardest is: Johto>Unova>Kanto(FR/LG)>Hoenn>Sinnoh.

NovaBrunswick and shoz999 like this.
  6. Easiest: Kalos, although I was under Wonderlocke rules minus a Zoroark that I just couldn’t resist, so most of my team was overlevelled.
    Hardest: Sinnoh and Hoenn have stuck in my mind - Hoenn took me a while because I had just started the series and I still haven’t finished Sinnoh’s (although that may be due to me being seriously underlevelled). Ironically, along with Unova, they’re my favourite sets of elite four.

7. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

If I had to name them order though... it would have to be...
    1: Unova
    2: Hoenn (It goes from easy to hard mode)
    3: Sinnoh (Props for making a decent Bug Elite Four)
    4: Johto
    5: Alola (honestly this could tie with Johto)
    6: Kanto
    7: Kalos

8. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

It's difficult to say because it depends on level grinding sometimes, though Kalos is easily the easiest

9. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Emblian Pride

Hardest: Tie between Unova and Sinnoh, their Pokemon are quite powerful and tend to know moves to cover for their weakness.

Easiest: Kalos, it may be a product of the OP Exp Share but I don’t recall struggling with any of them. Having the option to use everyone’s favourite Aura jackal (Lucario) does not help either particularly as you are gifted its Mega Stone during the story.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  10. rocky505

rocky505 Well-Known Member

Hardest: Sinnoh. That level jump can be frightening for first timers going in blind. To add on to that, their Pokemon have insane movesets filled with coverage too. Aaron's ace being Drapion is one that will catch newcomers off guard too, especially ones trying to use Flying Types.
    Easiest: Kalos. They really just gave some of them bad options along with only 4 Pokemon. Plus the EXP Share was busted in XY and could easily make you overlevel everyone, including Diantha.

shoz999 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  11. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

I don't even remember all Elite Fours anymore, but gonna vote Sinnoh as hardest. It recall how hard Cynthias team was to counter before fairy type was added and back then Exp share could only be used on a single Pokemon so unless you either played your whole game with same 6 Pokemon in your team or ganked and spanked wild Pokemon to level your team like crazy, Elite Four wasn't a smooth run. You had to spam revive and full restore and let your HM slave to fall just to rezz another mon... Oh yea, speaking of HM slave, you couldn't possibly level all 6 Pokemon easily because you still needed the HM slave. I recall Hoenn Elite Four being a pain in RSE but not so much in ORAS.

Easiest elite fours were Kalos and Alola. You can just march over them without any planning, but back in old days you just didn't sweep the floor with Elite Four with your ingame team on your first try!

Edit: I also recall someone saying Cynthias Garchomp has 31IV in all stats in DPPt games. Not sure if that's true, but that's a factor making the mon even more frightening when you beat Elite Four.

12. M.P.

M.P. Ghastly Gamer

Sinnoh is the hardest imo. Especially Cynthia was a nightmare to beat (damn Garchomp and Milotic). Unova was also quite challenging, despite the E4 members having only four Pokemon each.

As for the easiest, Kalos was a complete pushover, and Alola was really easy as well.

13. NovaBrunswick

Yeah, Sinnoh is definitely a great challenge. If we ever get Sinnoh remakes, they may include the Fairy type, so maybe Cynthia will be a little easier to beat. Especially with that Spiritomb of hers.

Hoenn's E4 I don't remember having much trouble with in OR/AS; I beat them several times with my whole team at level 100. I don't remember much about them in R/S/E, because my cousin beat Ruby for me.

Alola is actually half-and-half. Hala in the original Sun/Moon can be pretty hard, and his Bewear is a strong and sturdy one. Olivia is easy if you have Primarina or a good Water-type, Acerola is kind of easy if you have Incineroar, with the exception of Palossand. Kahili can hit Decidueye pretty hard; her Skarmory and Crobat are no laughing matter.

I can't say much about the Alola E4 in US/UM, as I still haven't played those games yet, but I do know Hala was replaced with Molayne, and Kahili uses some new Flying-types in place of Skarmory and Crobat.

M.P. likes this.
  14. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

One could argue that Gen 1-4 Elite Four are, by default, harder than Gen 5 and beyond due to how they are designed-you have to face progressively higher-level Elite 4 instead of choosing equally strong Elite 4. There's a thin line between "underleveled so you need the RNG to save you" and "overleveled so it isn't fun until you face the Champion" where it comes off as both a good challenge and fun

15. NovaBrunswick

I think Gen 3's E4 in the originals were hard because of all the unusual types, but in the remakes they're easy if you have a good team. Blaziken can pretty much deal with everything up there, with the possible exception of Drake, and some of Steven's Pokémon. Wallace comes in Emerald to stop that.

Gen 5's E4 caught me a little off-guard when I first went up to them, but I soon got them down when I got my Mienshao and Lucario. They're pretty easy when you have a good Fighting or Dark type.

Now Gen 4's E4... They're hard. You can't beat Aaron just with a Fire or Flying type alone, because he has Drapion, and Lucian is not a pushover with his Bronzong and strong Alakazam.

16. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 Let me hear the voice of your Pokémon!

Hardest: Either Unova or Sinnoh but I will give a slight edge to Unova's since the typing it had caught me off guard the first time but because of that it made it my favourite Elite Four in the series plus full teams after the first time. Also, I liked the slight updates on the teams during B2W2 especially in Challenge Mode. Shauntal has a troublesome team which can sweep you, Grimsley is similar but probably the easiest to deal with a good Fighting-type (he was always the first one to take out in both games), Caitlin has that Alakazam with Extreme Belt plus a pretty good Gallade with Muscle Band while Marshall's Pokemon are tanky and can easily dispatch both Flying and Psychic-types(the latter in Challenge Mode mainly due to Lucario's Shadow Ball, Throh's Payback and the deadly Mienshao's U-Turn which makes things even more complicated).
    On the other hand, Sinnoh has Aaron's Drapion which really screws over Flying and Ground-types while Psychic moves are also ineffective as well while Lucian has Bronzong and Flint's Infernape can be quite troublesome with its moveset. Bertha is probably the easiest with a good Grass-type but in Platinum Gliscor can easily take it out.

Easiest: Kalos, no contest. It's always four Pokemon even after challenging them a second time, the Exp. Share gives a significant boost too(not that I think it's really difficult even without that). You can easily sweep Malva with Greninja, Siebold with a fast Electric-type Pokemon gets swept too, a good Ground-type against Wikstrom and then a Fire-type move for Scizor while Drazna can be dealt with Fairy and Ice-types easily too. Honestly, never understood why they never got Megas since Siebold has Gyarados, Drazna could have Aerodactyl (Altaria's Mega didn't exist back then), Malva could have a Houndoom like in the anime and Wikstrom had a Scizor.

Overall I will go with this: Unova>=Sinnoh>Johto(HG/SS never played G/S/C)>Kanto(FR/LG since I played it recently and I don't remember Red/Blue at all)>Hoenn(R/S/E ofc since OR/AS killed the difficulty)>Alola>Kalos

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 3:09 PM
  17. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Squirtle was Ash's 1st choice

Sinnoh and gen I Kanto were the trickiest (though with the latter it might have had something to do with me essentially soloing with an overleveled Pikachu)

Kalos was way too easy, not sure what they were thinking with only giving them 4 Pokemon each, and they didn't even get a stronger full team with a rematch (I bet in Z/Kalos's second instalment they would've got a full team with a mega though, shame it never came to pass)
    I also found Alola's really lame, even the rematches (at least this was the case for SM, haven't played USM)

18. NovaBrunswick

I never got far enough in the Kanto-only games to see the E4, so I can't say much about them. Johto's is pretty easy - Will can be swept with Umbreon, Koga can be defeated with Espeon or a Ground-type, Bruno is very easy, and Karen can be defeated with a good Heracross or another Fighting-type.